NYE destination suggestions....Decisions... - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Community Forums > General Discussion and Debate
Reload this Page >

NYE destination suggestions....Decisions...

Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NYE destination suggestions....Decisions...

Old 09-07-2018, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default NYE destination suggestions....Decisions...

So I have vacation time from December 26th- Jan 2nd.

Me and my girlfriend are trying to plan something nice those days. We have it narrowed down to Toronto, Canada and Vegas.
Reasons.... Price are relatively cheap for Canada/Vegas surprisingly. If we do Canada, we can do a road trip, with a car rental, and rent out an Air BNB and the cost would be 1000 collectively. That way we could bring snowboards etc. If we do Vegas, it would likely be 1800-2000 collectively, but it's Vegas and we would be there NYE.

Anyone been to either? Pros and cons to each? What's there REALLY to do in Toronto?
Old 09-07-2018, 10:09 AM
816d16 owes me money!

Default Re: NYE destination suggestions....Decisions...

I've been to Vegas for NYE...will do again in the future. They block off large portions of the strip and turn it into their version of Times Square. They setup booze booths on street corners, etc.....was fun as hell.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

But would you think I would be spending another 1k in expenses in dining/drinks/events etc ?
Old 09-07-2018, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Titanium Member

Not many ski hills around the Toronto area, you would have to pretty much drive to Montreal for that. And my advice would be to go to Montreal first, IMO it's far better than Toronto for tourists. Toronto is cool, but there's no real charm to the city. Montreal on the other hand has a ton of charm and is easier to navigate than Toronto. Toronto has the large city feel; very metropolitan. Food is way better in Montreal and there are more attractions. Toronto has things like the CN Tower and sports teams, so it really depends on what you want. However, if you do go to Montreal you wouldn't be that far away (1 hour) from Mont Tremblant which is an amazing ski resort that I would highly recommend.

Also Montreal is cheaper for food and accommodations..
Old 09-07-2018, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mozzandherb View Post
Not many ski hills around the Toronto area, you would have to pretty much drive to Montreal for that. And my advice would be to go to Montreal first, IMO it's far better than Toronto for tourists. Toronto is cool, but there's no real charm to the city. Montreal on the other hand has a ton of charm and is easier to navigate than Toronto. Toronto has the large city feel; very metropolitan. Food is way better in Montreal and there are more attractions. Toronto has things like the CN Tower and sports teams, so it really depends on what you want. However, if you do go to Montreal you wouldn't be that far away (1 hour) from Mont Tremblant which is an amazing ski resort that I would highly recommend.

Also Montreal is cheaper for food and accommodations..
Thanks man. I will look into Montreal. We definitely want to board, and it did seem Toronto was more "City like". Which I'm ok with, but if I wanted to go to city i'll go to Phili/New York. No use driving 8 hours + for that. Toronto does have some hockey museum, but not totally into Hockey.

Are the hills in Montreal more tough? My GF is beginner snowboarder, and really cant do diamonds or anything like that. I know in Vermont, the beginner slopes are like blue/diamonds in Poconos/Jersey
Old 09-07-2018, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Depends what your speed is. There are cool areas of Toronto that I really enjoy (Ossington) but I'm not sure if you would find them interesting. The Hockey Hall of Fame is cool but I can see it being boring if you're not a huge hockey fan. I agree with Mozz that Montreal might be a better overall mix for a tourist in Canada.

Either option beats out Vegas imo
Old 09-07-2018, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by vLad11591 View Post
Thanks man. I will look into Montreal. We definitely want to board, and it did seem Toronto was more "City like". Which I'm ok with, but if I wanted to go to city i'll go to Phili/New York. No use driving 8 hours + for that. Toronto does have some hockey museum, but not totally into Hockey.

Are the hills in Montreal more tough? My GF is beginner snowboarder, and really cant do diamonds or anything like that. I know in Vermont, the beginner slopes are like blue/diamonds in Poconos/Jersey
Mont Tremblant has a really good mix of both beginner and advanced hills. You can probably check out most of the slopes online here https://www.tremblant.ca/
Old 09-07-2018, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by tron_ View Post

Either option beats out Vegas imo
Yeah, although the warm weather is nice come Jan 1st
Old 09-07-2018, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There seems to be a lot of wine tasting/beer tours in Toronto, which is always fun. Air BNB in Toronto was relatively cheap/easy to find, and there was some REAL nice suites for cheap. (100/night)
I'm going to check Montreal area for things to do/Air BNB in comparison to price

Vegas sounds good on paper, but then once you get there you're paying for everything out of pocket. I feel like it's basically a more expensive Atlantic City.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:45 AM
INSERT TITLE HERE

There's ways to make Vegas cheaper. Since you're allowed to drink outside on the strip and carry your drinks into the hotels, you can just get booze from a liquor store and then that part is as cheap as drinking at home. For food, there's options that range from cheap and fast to as much as you want to spend.

There's also plenty of ways to go broke too obviously....
Old 09-07-2018, 12:00 PM
BCICAN

I have to go to a wedding. Thankfully I live nearby so I don't also have to get a damn hotel room too. I really wish people didn't schedule that crap on holidays.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmmmm...... and we're not huge gamblers either... is there anything to do other than gamble?
Old 09-07-2018, 02:00 PM
816d16 owes me money!

hmmmm...... and we're not huge gamblers either... is there anything to do other than gamble?
I don't gamble at all. I go hit up the smaller lounge type bars inside places like Caesars. Free to walk in, always loaded with people, good music/atmosphere....
Old 09-07-2018, 03:31 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

There is plenty to do in Vegas aside from gambling.

Being that it is a holiday weekend it will be stupid packed and more expensive than usual.

Ive been there during New Years, it’s pretty cool.

Id take Vegas over Canada any day . They even have a hockey team so it’s not like you’re missing much if you do not go to canada
Old 09-07-2018, 04:22 PM
rookn00b

I pick Toronto but that's because I've never been there. It's been about 20 years since I've been to Vegas. I think it's safe to say that I'm never going back there.

But Vegas on NYE will more than likely not snow.

I pick Montreal
Old 09-10-2018, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I talked to a number of different people and I was surprised that people were picking Montreal over Vegas. We also through the idea of New Orleans around as well, since it won't be stupid packed.

Going to have to look at costs for both.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:01 AM

New Orleans would be cool, but I would get out and explore a new country (although Canada and the US aren't much different). The Canadian dollar is terrible meaning that your US dollar will go very far up here.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So we decided to go to NOLA for NYE and after xmas.

It's going to be nuts im sure, but I'm wondering other than destroying your liver....Are there any cool tours/sites to see in New Orleans?
Old 12-12-2018, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There is tons to do there! Just not sure of the temps there right now, should be fine, right?

We did the swamp tour, the cemetery tour, some ghost thingy. And I drank my face off!
Old 12-12-2018, 06:52 AM
Loves Tossing Salad

Get that cheaper gaming comp and you could make it some Madison Square Garden vacation type ****
Old 12-12-2018, 06:54 AM
eight equals equals equals D

So we decided to go to NOLA for NYE and after xmas.

It's going to be nuts im sure, but I'm wondering other than destroying your liver....Are there any cool tours/sites to see in New Orleans?
I've done NOLA for NYE - but I was there for the Sugar Bowl - yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaars ago (VT beat Texas). had to look it up 1995. Yeesh. So just be aware there will be tons of people there for the game as well.

Good times. gets crowded AF on Bourbon street - like wall to wall people, you might get crushed if you slip type crowded. We spent the whole trip drinking I don't think I saw the river once.

Just not sure of the temps there right now, should be fine, right?
it's not cold
Old 12-12-2018, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mattb16teg View Post
There is tons to do there! Just not sure of the temps there right now, should be fine, right?

We did the swamp tour, the cemetery tour, some ghost thingy. And I drank my face off!
The weather shouldn't be too different than it is in NJ. It may be slightly warmer. I'm going to be doing a voodoo tour, but other than that we don't have anything planned. I have an air bnb a couple minutes from the French quarters, so i'll be close to all the action without having to be "in town". Uptown shouldn't be too far either.

Originally Posted by 09chaplak View Post
Get that cheaper gaming comp and you could make it some Madison Square Garden vacation type ****
lol... gaming comp isn't coming until after the new year... blowing all my tax money on it.... nah jk.... I mean half kidding.

Originally Posted by Tim2179 View Post
I've done NOLA for NYE - but I was there for the Sugar Bowl - yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaars ago (VT beat Texas). had to look it up 1995. Yeesh. So just be aware there will be tons of people there for the game as well.

Good times. gets crowded AF on Bourbon street - like wall to wall people, you might get crushed if you slip type crowded. We spent the whole trip drinking I don't think I saw the river once.

it's not cold
Lol I plan to be destroying my liver. Someone mentioned alcoholic slurpees.... I'm going to have one of those at all times. I do hear though there is a problem with pick pocketing. To keep everything in your front pockets, and to not travel alone.... Can't be any worse than it is in Europe.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

They have whatever you want, really.
But there are these little corner pizza joints and to go stations all over the place that have slushies and other sugar induced BS.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:17 AM

I know you already made your choice, but I lived in Toronto for a year and a half, and spent one NYE there, and one in Montreal. Montreal was much better, more space, better views, cool buildings to see, maple syrup drizzled on shaved ice... This coming from someone who doesn't like NYE...
Old 12-12-2018, 07:18 AM
eight equals equals equals D

Lol I plan to be destroying my liver. Someone mentioned alcoholic slurpees.... I'm going to have one of those at all times.
Might be referring to Hurricanes - and they sell them at little kiosks that are popped up every 10 feet on Bourbon St

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.