Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nurburgring - who's rented a car?

Old 05-14-2019, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Nurburgring - who's rented a car?

I'll be over in Germany for a few weeks in June for a work event, but during the bridging weekend I'm planning on finally heading to the 'ring for a few laps.

This seems pretty reasonable at Euro149 for two laps, but any other thoughts, comments, suggestions? I will have a rental car for work, but not worth the risk of wrecking - we've all seen the youtube compilation videos!

Yes, before it's asked I've driven on a track rather frequently.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Nurburgring - who's rented a car?

I had a regular rental car for our German trip when I did it, drove it from Frankfurt up the Rhine, down the Mosel dropping it off in Trier; the Ring was on the way. It was an e320 diesel wagon. I simply went on a public day and drove two laps. I had read I was not supposed to take this car on the track, but no one stopped me and no one ever found out. This was back in 2006. Here is my video from it.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:28 PM
I took way too long

My first circuit track experience was on The Green Hell back in 2012. Drove 2 laps on it. It was only 26 euro per lap then, is it really 149 euros now for 2 laps? Just took a regular Audi wagon rental picked up from Frankfurt lmao. It was a ton of fun, and you will have a **** load of fun in the area and especially on track. Any car will do on touristenfahrten days. If you want a more 'race car' experience then there are plenty of rental places in the area with hopped up Seat Leon Cupras for basic budget experience with R tires and cages but can rent supercars if you want.

Take the work rental car on the ring. You will have as much fun as you can in 2 laps for real. Just remember - keep right, always be looking in your rearview, and get accustomed to your right blinker signal. Those modded M3s, Porsches, and Ferraris come from literally nowhere on the 'ring. Safe travels!
Old 05-14-2019, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also watch out for motorcycles and coming up on tour busses. lol
Old 05-15-2019, 01:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

pretty much any decent modern car will be fun there.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:12 AM
Bloody Beaver

Originally Posted by slowman View Post
My first circuit track experience was on The Green Hell back in 2012. Drove 2 laps on it. It was only 26 euro per lap then, is it really 149 euros now for 2 laps? Just took a regular Audi wagon rental picked up from Frankfurt lmao. It was a ton of fun, and you will have a **** load of fun in the area and especially on track. Any car will do on touristenfahrten days. If you want a more 'race car' experience then there are plenty of rental places in the area with hopped up Seat Leon Cupras for basic budget experience with R tires and cages but can rent supercars if you want.

Take the work rental car on the ring. You will have as much fun as you can in 2 laps for real. Just remember - keep right, always be looking in your rearview, and get accustomed to your right blinker signal. Those modded M3s, Porsches, and Ferraris come from literally nowhere on the 'ring. Safe travels!
149 is to drive their car on the ring. Not a rental you come with.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:46 AM
I took way too long

Ahh got ya - I see the link now!
Old 05-15-2019, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I rented an E36 BMW 328i a few years ago through Need for Ring. It was a one man show, close to the track. Overall a good experience.

I went on an August weekend. Unbelievable how many cars were there and on the track.

Spend enough time on a Playstation, Xbox, etc. driving the track to learn the corners and order of things. It will make the experience much better knowing where the track goes.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:59 PM
footwork mastery

4-5 years ago a buddy rented a Mini Cooper and took it out there. Threw a rod through the block haha!! On top of the expensive tow fee/ oil cleanup they charged the rental company found out where it blew and tried to charge him for the full repair. He just got on the plane and went home. They harassed him a bit but there was nothing they could do.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:04 PM

Friend went out on a trip, and rented some variant of a Golf to do a half day or such, and loved it. Pretty sure he rented it right there at the track, but had it set up a month or more in advance.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by .Grimace View Post
4-5 years ago a buddy rented a Mini Cooper and took it out there. Threw a rod through the block haha!! On top of the expensive tow fee/ oil cleanup they charged the rental company found out where it blew and tried to charge him for the full repair. He just got on the plane and went home. They harassed him a bit but there was nothing they could do.
Lol really trying not to do that!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.