Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Community Forums > General Discussion and Debate
Reload this Page >

New routine leaves me with a "different kind of sore" ideas??

Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New routine leaves me with a "different kind of sore" ideas??

Old 01-09-2008, 04:36 AM
Video Game Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New routine leaves me with a "different kind of sore" ideas??

Of course the new year was a good time to switch up my workout, so Iíve done so. Iíve always been a 5x5 or a 4x6 or 4x8 (you get the idea) kind of guy when it comes to big lifts, like squats or bench. Occassionally, Iíve switched to a pyramid scheme (like a 10,8,6,4,2,10 increase weight till last set) to improve results / break plateaus.

Well this new workout has boggled me, I read it in M&F and its supposed to be of those get cut fast workout plans, a 5 week routine. I figured Iíd give it a shot, although I have modified it slightly to my desire.

Basically itís a bunch of different lifts with high reps and very little rest. You are supposed to increase weight every set and use weight that is challenging. You are also allowed to only rest 60 seconds in between sets, and 90 seconds inbetween exercises. Its pretty demanding and makes you sweat pretty good, although its not gonna make you throw up either. Now my Bench looks like 15,12,10,8 instead of 5x5 as I was doing last month.

In the past, Iím usually sore the day after a workout and feel ďbiggerĒ, and this is the sore Iíve always been used to. However, after 2 days of this routine, I am much less sore and donít feel bigger at all. Its more of a ďtightĒ sore, if that makes any sense. My muscles feel more solid and tight, but not any bigger. Is this typical of these high rep workouts?

A good example is legs. Usually the day after legs, my legs feel like tree trunks, are pretty sore and bulky. Today they are still semi-sore (I really feel it when I bend over), but there is none of the swelling or bulky sensationÖ.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New routine leaves me with a "different kind of sore" ideas?? (jonebone)

That makes sense, you're causing a different type of microdamage/trauma to your muscles so the recovery (felt as soreness) will feel different too. You're also going to be recruiting different types of muscle fibers which won't necessarily recover the same way.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New routine leaves me with a "different kind of sore" ideas?? (jonebone)

Might be in your head b/c you are doing such a different scheme.

Have you ever tried the westside ME/DE methods?
Old 01-09-2008, 08:56 PM

sounds about right to me,i cycle between max effort and dynamic effort alot i've been using westside techniques since like 2000...on my dynamic effort days i warm up like so i'll use bench for instance 25 reps 225, 15 reps295, 8, 8, 8 with around half of my max,speed is the key here its alot different feeling then doing a pyramid routine
Old 01-09-2008, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (xRacerX81)

High reps and little rest is more for toning than building strength/bulking.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Video Game Collector

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xRacerX81 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sounds about right to me,i cycle between max effort and dynamic effort alot i've been using westside techniques since like 2000...on my dynamic effort days i warm up like so i'll use bench for instance 25 reps 225, 15 reps295, 8, 8, 8 with around half of my max,speed is the key here its alot different feeling then doing a pyramid routine</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the input, I see your from Mechanicsville?? Good to see another southern MD bodybuilder on here, I live right by the Benedict bridge on the calvert county side, about 15 minutes from you.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:52 AM
Dat Dere Cell Tech

Default Re: (bg-33p)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bg-33p &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">High reps and little rest is more for toning than building strength/bulking.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what the hell

myth myth myth

you can bulk with however many reps you want as long as you are making progress (adding weight and reps) and getting stronger!

what do you think toning is?

certainly it is counterintuitive to think it is the appearance of increased muscle under decreased body fat!
Old 01-10-2008, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jonebone)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jonebone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Good to see another southern MD bodybuilder on here</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't know if I'd really categorize xracerx81 as a 'bodybuilder'
Old 01-10-2008, 01:50 PM

jonebone what gym you goto???i goto smac in mechanicsvile and world gym in waldorf
Old 01-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by daklown &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what the hell

myth myth myth

you can bulk with however many reps you want as long as you are making progress (adding weight and reps) and getting stronger!

what do you think toning is?

certainly it is counterintuitive to think it is the appearance of increased muscle under decreased body fat! </TD></TR></TABLE>

He never specified whether he was increasing/decreasing in weight so i assumed, but yes definitely adding weight will obviously train you for strength and bulk.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:06 PM

lol powerlifting is the true body building...functional strength beats out cosmetic size and no strength,transformation of functional power is awesome
Old 01-10-2008, 08:17 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xRacerX81 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol powerlifting is the true body building...functional strength beats out cosmetic size and no strength,transformation of functional power is awesome</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dunno, I'd say the likes of Ronnie are pretty "strong", lol

I get your point though, their strength isn't as "practical".
Old 01-11-2008, 03:56 AM
Video Game Collector

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xRacerX81 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">jonebone what gym you goto???i goto smac in mechanicsvile and world gym in waldorf</TD></TR></TABLE>

I go to World Gym in Prince Frederick, because its on my way home from work. I work at the Naval base in Lexington park, and then just shoot down route 4 on the way home.

One a side note, I see you got a 94 LS Teg in your sig. My neighbor drives a 94 LS (Non-vtec) White 2-door Integra with all the typical bolt ons, lowered, type-r wing, etc... etc... I think he ran mid-high 13s at Budds Creek on a 50 shot back in August too.

Lots and lots of tegs around here.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:03 PM

jonebone i havent been to the track yet with my teg i'm hoping for low 14's...as for bodybuilders ronnie is strong but theres like a hand full of bodybuilders who are truly strong... compared to a long list of great strongmen,like kaz,magnus,glenn ross,and many many more i respect the dedication body building takes, but i respect the truly strong more