New digital cameras wtf! - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.

New digital cameras wtf!

Old 06-14-2018, 04:57 PM
aka DaZman69!

Default New digital cameras wtf!

So once I went to a telescope hobby event in vermont on some mountain top. I spent about 10 minutes looking through this 8 ft tall telescope. The whole thing was motorized hooked up to a computer. I saw saturn, the moon, mars, etc etc etc.

Now you can ******* walk into best buy, drop $600 bones on a digital camera, and do pretty much the same thing. This camera looks just like that telescope scope did.

Nikon coolpix d900
83x optical zoom!!!! What in the ****? When did regular old stock digital camera lenses get this crazy?

Old 06-14-2018, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New digital cameras wtf!

Originally Posted by sflkgjsfndgn View Post
So once I went to a telescope hobby event in vermont on some mountain top. I spent about 10 minutes looking through this 8 ft tall telescope. The whole thing was motorized hooked up to a computer. I saw saturn, the moon, mars, etc etc etc.

Now you can ******* walk into best buy, drop $600 bones on a digital camera, and do pretty much the same thing. This camera looks just like that telescope scope did.

Nikon coolpix d900
83x optical zoom!!!! What in the ****? When did regular old stock digital camera lenses get this crazy?

Old 06-14-2018, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

It all comes down to sensor size brah. Most professionals use cameras with full sized sensors that measure 36mm x 24mm. Most consumer level DSLR use sensors called APS-C that measure 22.2mm x 14.8mm. The smaller APS-C sensor magnifies images by a factor of 1.6. So a 100mm lens on a full sized camera will zoom images on a APS-C to look like it was taken with a 160mm lens. A lot of sports and aerial photographers use APS-C to gain that extra reach advantage. Usually longer zoom lens cost more and weigh more.

Super zoom also known as bridge cameras such as your Nikon P900 use a tiny 1/2.3" sensor that measures 6.17mm x 4.55mm which has a crop factor of 5.6x. So a 100mm lens would magnify to 560mm. The P900 has a 35mm film camera equivalent 2000mm lens.

This all comes at a price and that is image quality. Smaller sensors gather less light and low light photos suffer with grainy images. Of course, if you're taking images of the moon, the problem is minimal as the moon is extremely bright at night. But if you're trying to use a superzoom at a ball game at dusk, you're pictures are going to look very snowy. That's why most cellphone photos of dark areas look grainy as ****. Tiny tiny sensor. They have built in post processing to minimize it but its just inherent and nothing beats a giant sensor.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:05 PM
I really don't know

Wow! times -them are a changing

cool video

I havent thought about a digital camera since I left xtrac1 as the sole member of the luddites of so cal region organization
Old 06-14-2018, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Camera is one thing, but you still need the proper lens, right?
Old 06-15-2018, 04:08 AM
aka DaZman69!

Originally Posted by tony_2018 View Post
Camera is one thing, but you still need the proper lens, right?
no, thats why itís so insane

Iím pretty sure 5 years ago to get that kinda zoom you needed one of those insane 16Ē long $10k lenses.

Now you can walk into best buy with $600 bones and the cameraís factory lense does the same thing (as far as zoom goes)

Digital zoom is not that incredible, optical zoom is when the lense actually moves and is real zoom. This thing has 83x optical, which is on par with some relatively expensive personal telescopes
Old 06-15-2018, 04:22 AM
Video Game Collector

Well I assume a lot of people aren't buying digital cameras anymore and relying on their phone instead. So it makes sense for them to cram more technology into the digital cameras at an affordable price to create consumer demand.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:27 AM
aka DaZman69!

Originally Posted by jonebone View Post
Well I assume a lot of people aren't buying digital cameras anymore and relying on their phone instead. So it makes sense for them to cram more technology into the digital cameras at an affordable price to create consumer demand.
yeah but I didnít know that was physically possible

Like optical zoom is more about the physical size of the mirror and the glass itself. Itís why cell phones donít have any optical zoom. It requires a moving lense.

Old 06-15-2018, 04:37 AM
aka DaZman69!

This is pretty much the exact level of detail I saw out of the 8ft telescope when looking at mars and saturn

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.