Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Community Forums > General Discussion and Debate
Reload this Page >

Need a good paying job with no experience? Oilfield is hiring again.

Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a good paying job with no experience? Oilfield is hiring again.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:45 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

Default Re: Need a good paying job with no experience? Oilfield is hiring again.

Did they do nothing after the flood?
Old 05-15-2019, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need a good paying job with no experience? Oilfield is hiring again.

So, I'm curious, what is considered "good paying jobs" in the oil field sector?
Old 05-15-2019, 11:19 AM
Imgur Lives Matter

19 dollars an hour to watch a hole 10 hours a day
Old 05-15-2019, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 90hatch94dsm View Post
LOL, I think I'm too old to do something like that.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:18 PM
Paragraph Alert

Originally Posted by shipo View Post
So, I'm curious, what is considered "good paying jobs" in the oil field sector?
With certain entry level fields, especially on land, making 70-80k your first year isn't uncommon with 100k by your second or third year a good possibility. Some fields luck out and you can make near 100k starting but you will be working your *** off. Offshore typically pays more for equal time worked, but you generally work less offshore so you can actually make more outright on land.

I started at 50k with zero experience. After 5.5 years I was poached away for several times that much and an office job with a set schedule which is exactly what happened to the mentors who trained me up. I wouldn't say it is an average pay progression, as in you aren't going to get that automatically, but it isn't a surprising one to anyone in the field. If you are willing to sacrifice for a bit the money and pay progression is out there.

Last edited by ActiveAero; 05-15-2019 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ActiveAero View Post
With certain entry level fields, especially on land, making 70-80k your first year isn't uncommon with 100k by your second or third year a good possibility. Some fields luck out and you can make near 100k starting but you will be working your *** off. Offshore typically pays more for equal time worked, but you generally work less offshore so you can actually make more outright on land.

I started at 50k with zero experience. After 5.5 years I was poached away for 175k and an office job with a set schedule which is exactly what happened to the mentors who trained me up. I wouldn't say it is an average pay progression, as in you aren't going to get that automatically, but it isn't a surprising one to anyone in the field. If you are willing to sacrifice for a bit the money and pay progression is out there.
Thanks! I hope someone benefits from your words of wisdom.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:35 PM
Do you even red wheels?

Originally Posted by 90hatch94dsm View Post
It is for someone that gets replaced putting things in a box for $12 an hour

But no.

Downstream maintenance starts off around 90k, and within 5 years you sit around 150k plus a healthy 401k match, a pension, and an additional medical retirement plan. While on a 4/10 day shift only schedule.

Ops, and you make 150-175k but work a swing shift and 12ís. Not the life for me to make a few extra bucks. Ops hires with zero experience. They are looking for people they can train and want to be around like a second family. So personality plays a key role. As does gender and race because big corporation wants its diversity numbers up.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:10 PM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

I could use a jerb. send me a link?
Old 05-16-2019, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 05-16-2019, 12:50 PM
Paragraph Alert

Originally Posted by muellersfan View Post
So if you worked at an oil refinery in the 60's your cancer rate is high. Not exactly shocked.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Congrats on the consulting gig. I’m thinking about making the same type of move in the onshore completions realm after wild well certs/training. Same sort of deal: 2 weeks on/2 off.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not exactly shocked.
Agreed. But there are limited recent cancer studies for offshore oil workers. Not sure why.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:46 PM
Paragraph Alert

Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
Congrats on the consulting gig. Iím thinking about making the same type of move in the onshore completions realm after wild well certs/training. Same sort of deal: 2 weeks on/2 off.
Wild well is some really cool stuff. I can't expand on it now but let's say I've got some really good stories that have required their assistance.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm ready to die, I've done my deed.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:49 PM
Paragraph Alert

Originally Posted by muellersfan View Post
Agreed. But there are limited recent cancer studies for offshore oil workers. Not sure why.
Offshore oil workers in the exploration and drilling side barely ever encounter any oil, as crazy as that might sound. I've got more oil on me from changing the oil in my car than from years of drilling massive deep water reservoirs.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wild well is some really cool stuff. I can't expand on it now but let's say I've got some really good stories that have required their assistance.
Are you a drillerís method or wait-and-weight guy?

We donít really experience the risk of wellbore influxes during completion activities since we are constantly pumping materials into the cased hole vs. dealing directly with the geology and natural pore pressure. We make our own pressures on command.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:55 PM
Paragraph Alert

Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
Are you a drillerís method or wait-and-weight guy?
In deep deviated wells with all sorts of hole stability issues I'm of the opinion that the driller's method really is better and not just because it is simple. Restablishing circulation quickly is very important where as sitting around while they weight up is often a death sentence. The wait and weight methods advantages also require several factors to come into play that you often times can't even be sure about. And even if those factors line up the advantages are often small and require you nailing the procedure pretty much perfectly.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Offshore oil workers in the exploration and drilling side barely ever encounter any oil, as crazy as that might sound. I've got more oil on me from changing the oil in my car than from years of drilling massive deep water reservoirs.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:25 AM
Imgur Lives Matter

Originally Posted by tony_2018 View Post
I'm ready to die, I've done my deed.
dat post nut clarity