Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Community Forums > General Discussion and Debate
Reload this Page >

Need a good paying job with no experience? Oilfield is hiring again.

Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a good paying job with no experience? Oilfield is hiring again.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:44 AM
Paragraph Alert

Default Re: Need a good paying job with no experience? Oilfield is hiring again.

Originally Posted by Pinja View Post
I'm guessing those are the single dudes you see living in a McMansion, lifted truck in the driveway and a bunch of toys (ATV's, boat, etc) in the garage but they're broke as all ****
That's the offshore boys. I think land guys spend it on coke, meth and hookers.

Errr I mean "pre-workout" and their "girlfriends".
Old 05-23-2018, 11:44 AM
Drunk Wagon Pilot

Default Re: Need a good paying job with no experience? Oilfield is hiring again.

Originally Posted by ActiveAero View Post
Guy making 200k that didn't contribute to our 401k when it gave a 9% match on a 6% contribution (as in better than 100% matching) because, and I quote, "I gotta have something to live off of."

I'm pretty sure I yelled at him after hearing that and he 100% deserved it lol.
Oh my sweet Jesus

EDIT: someone here in finance run those numbers and let me know what their account would look like after 10 years assuming the percentages stayed the same

EDIT 2: if they worked from age 20 to 64 and the numbers didn't change they'd have $3.8 million HOLY ***** PEOPLE ARE STUPID
Old 05-23-2018, 11:46 AM
I collect venereal diseases

Guy making 200k that didn't contribute to our 401k when it gave a 9% match on a 6% contribution (as in better than 100% matching) because, and I quote, "I gotta have something to live off of."

I'm pretty sure I yelled at him after hearing that and he 100% deserved it lol.
What the Christ?

Originally Posted by Pinja View Post
Wait what in the literal ****? The hell are they blowing money on?

Food? Booze? Drugs and hookers?
All of the above I guess.

That's the offshore boys. I think land guys spend it on coke, meth and hookers.

Errr I mean "pre-workout" and their "girlfriends".
Hookers in Midland are no joke. Asking way more than they're worth because everyone there has money. Not that I'd know.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you have any sort of commercial driver's license...

Ive been saying this for years. get a CDL! You can make $$$

I don’t drive anymore but I keep my CDL as an extra feather in the hat.

I don’t work in the oil field but I do work in transportation. A lot of drivers get started out at $30 an hour. Heck, some of our boys drive from KC to Wichita, KS and back (less than 9 hours)...and pull $95k a year. Pull that kind of money living in Kansas...

back to oil field. Several of our drivers leave to work for the oil industry because they pay more.

Last edited by Eibach95Civic; 05-23-2018 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wanna make oil field money to get them oil field hunnies
Old 05-23-2018, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Rguy View Post
Im doing everything i can to get into Software sales. 35 hour or less work weeks doing maybe half that in actual "work" but with the potential OTE of 200-400k. I wish I would have known about these "sales engineer" positions when I was starting my career.
sales engineer checking in. Golfing 3 times this week.

PA is hiring in Oil/gas also. Donít waste your time doing monkey work. PLC/RTU programming is where itís at.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:49 PM
Paragraph Alert

Originally Posted by Eibach95Civic View Post

Ive been saying this for years. get a CDL! You can make $$$

I donít drive anymore but I keep it as an extra feather in the hat.

I donít work in the oil field but I do work in transportation. A lot of drivers get started out at $30 an hour. Heck, some of our boys drive from KC to Witchita, KS and back (less than 9 hours)...and pull $95k a year. Pull that kind of money living in Kansas...

back to oil field. Several of our drivers leave to work for the oil industry because they pay more.
Yeah I think if you have a CDL A I hear you can pretty much drive to West Texas right now and start making $2,000-$2,500 a week if you have any actual driving experience and $1,500 or so if you only have the license but no real driving hours. I think I've heard it is fairly "easy" work besides the hours as you just haul sand to and from rig sites and I think those guys can even get some time off when they want and you get to go home at night, or at least back to a real city. If you just have a basic permit it isn't quite as quick and easy but a lot of companies will supposedly pay for your class A. That's not my line of work of course so take this info with a grain of salt.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:53 PM
I really don't know

Remember with the work ethic that everyone in HT has, you will be manager director level E-6 tier 2 in no time!

Thanks for the post AA! I hope that some people stuck running with the same old group going nowhere in life find this post and head out to get a job there.

some people need a change of pace and new scenery
Old 05-23-2018, 01:58 PM
Track Advocate

What about piping designers? I had planned on doing oil piping design when I moved to Texas, but the field slowed down
Old 05-23-2018, 02:00 PM
GDD's Dr. Phil?

Originally Posted by A D NOH View Post
Remember with the work ethic that everyone in HT has, you will be manager director level E-6 tier 2 in no time!

Thanks for the post AA! I hope that some people stuck running with the same old group going nowhere in life find this post and head out to get a job there.

some people need a change of pace and new scenery
lol we'll see about that, 99% of the people posting in here are decade or longer members, maybe don't have the world going for them, at least a house and or a wife and kid, not a good position to be to uproot and work 100 hours a week at a gulag. Maybe you should've posted this in the tech section, 92-95 Civic to be specific, I guarantee it'll get some traction there
Old 05-23-2018, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by oneludesol View Post
lol we'll see about that, 99% of the people posting in here are decade or longer members, maybe don't have the world going for them, at least a house and or a wife and kid, not a good position to be to uproot and work 100 hours a week at a gulag. Maybe you should've posted this in the tech section, 92-95 Civic to be specific, I guarantee it'll get some traction there
Going by some of the responses ITT you're not wrong there.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:09 PM
GDD's Dr. Phil?

ooh aaaaaactually... Crazyhorse needs to see this.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:58 PM
Do you even red wheels?

Originally Posted by tony_2018 View Post
Early retirement brah.
I work in downstream, and thatís the truth. Guys that got on early, with a goal in mind, have retired quite comfy in their 40ís. 50ís is the most common. I started late at 29, and will be retiring at 55 no problem.

In maintenance however we work 4/10ís year around with the exception of the TARís which this years was a long one at two months where Iím on 6/10ís. So not much personal sacrificing involved.

Ops hires based entirely on personality more than anything. My buddy is a tech 4 and made 175K last year. But they are on the rotating 5 on 5 off 12ís schedule. So every week includes OT, so adds up quick. Though technically you have more time off than the average worker yet make way more.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:05 PM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

Originally Posted by 2x0 View Post
Good that the jobs are out there.

Problem is these days, nobody wants to do "real" work.
And there ya go. The first few post were "hell no" "not looking to die on the job"

Americans are spoiled, many want an office job browsing the internet and taking home phat stacks.

AA I might take this offer, Mind posting the site?
Old 05-23-2018, 03:06 PM
B20 Bhai M.B.B.S

Originally Posted by oneludesol View Post
ooh aaaaaactually... Crazyhorse needs to see this.
Seriously, that dude needs to talk to AA
Old 05-23-2018, 03:13 PM
rookn00b

100 hours a week and $100K?

Old 05-23-2018, 03:20 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

@AA how hard is it to shine in your industry?
Old 05-23-2018, 03:23 PM
Will you make something up for me please?

Originally Posted by xtrac1 View Post
100 hours a week and $100K?
Thats basically $15/hr (assuming you get overtime).
Old 05-23-2018, 03:29 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

But 2 week rotations vs 5x2

Is that still 15/hr?
Old 05-23-2018, 03:36 PM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

Originally Posted by shamoo View Post

Thats basically $15/hr (assuming you get overtime).
If the person is an uneducated grunt that barely finished high school that's a lot of money.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ForceFed Motorsports View Post

I work in downstream, and thatís the truth. Guys that got on early, with a goal in mind, have retired quite comfy in their 40ís. 50ís is the most common. I started late at 29, and will be retiring at 55 no problem.

In maintenance however we work 4/10ís year around with the exception of the TARís which this years was a long one at two months where Iím on 6/10ís. So not much personal sacrificing involved.

Ops hires based entirely on personality more than anything. My buddy is a tech 4 and made 175K last year. But they are on the rotating 5 on 5 off 12ís schedule. So every week includes OT, so adds up quick. Though technically you have more time off than the average worker yet make way more.
It all depends on how determine you are to get to that point of retirement. I'm seeing alot of people 'living for the moment' and not realizing 'what happens when you have no rainy day funds when **** goes down'.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:42 PM
Do you even red wheels?

Unless rig tech levels are night and day different Tech 1 at the refineries is 33.50 to start. That includes ops that work the most of any of the people here and they don’t work 100hr weeks... 84 at the most assuming you took a shift from someone else at the end of yours which happens all the time.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Rguy View Post
Im doing everything i can to get into Software sales. 35 hour or less work weeks doing maybe half that in actual "work" but with the potential OTE of 200-400k. I wish I would have known about these "sales engineer" positions when I was starting my career.
Thats pretty good. Sales jobs can be lucrative it's hard to stay on top quarter after quarter and not get burnt out even if the money is great. I work in financial Sales and our target performance pay is about $130k but top performers make north of 400k a year. That's working 40-50 hours a week. Id like to last another 10 years then I'll probably "retire" and go help my friend run his Porsche/ BMW business that's wishful thinking though. Most people leave, get fired or go to management side. I'd say most people average 3-4 years in the sales seat.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:58 AM
Paragraph Alert

Originally Posted by Caoboy View Post
@AA how hard is it to shine in your industry?
Not that hard IMO. I can only tell you what has been said about myself in reviews and what I now look for in a crew when the office asks for my input on how a guy under me is doing.

1. Do your job.

2. Don't try to BS people. This might be my #1 reason for wanting to get rid of a guy. If you screw something up or forget to do something just say it. Hell I screw stuff up all the time. As odd as it sounds I actually love hearing a guy tell me "Ah I fvcked that up" as it means I can trust him. I've had some really capable guys who end up being basically useless because you can't trust them as they never want to admit any mistakes and get super defensive about it.

3. Have thick skin. You're not in a PC office environment. I'm known for being able to work well with some of our most "difficult" but highly competent guys. There are times when you just need to shut up and there are times when you need to stand up to them and basically call them out on being an *******. We usually become friends after that. There is a middle ground between know your place vs don't be a doormat. You don't have to fake being a super tough roughneck type. I don't. But at the same time have some self-awareness that if you're eating lunch across from the 60-year-old company man that you might want to chill out on discussing your favorite anime.

4. Treat people under you with respect. I've seen nice competent guys turn into almost completely different people the very second they are moved up one rung on the totem pole. That's a big red flag for me. It's also dumb on their part for other reasons. With the way this industry is it is very possible, hell almost likely, that the guy who is under you right now could end up being your equal or superior one day.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

a friend of mine did this to earn tuition. Worked hard for a year then he had enough money for school.

He said it was hard and scary and will never do it again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need a good paying job with no experience? Oilfield is hiring again.

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.