Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Community Forums > General Discussion and Debate
Reload this Page >

Need a good paying job with no experience? Oilfield is hiring again.

Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a good paying job with no experience? Oilfield is hiring again.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:26 AM
Sensational

Default Re: Need a good paying job with no experience? Oilfield is hiring again.

It is cool this is an option. If I lived near this, Iíd absolutely do it. If I were in my early 20s, this would be an adventure.

Hey, if the Internet ruins my life, Iím there tomorrow
Old 05-23-2018, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need a good paying job with no experience? Oilfield is hiring again.

How many complaining about 100hr work weeks are under 35 here?

​​​​​​​
Old 05-23-2018, 08:56 AM
Drunk Wagon Pilot

Originally Posted by Black R View Post
How many complaining about 100hr work weeks are under 35 here?

​​​​​​​
me

Anyone willing to do 100 hour work weeks either better completely love their job, have a ton of downtime to do whatever they want or are completely mental

When I used to deliver pizzas in college we were right next to a Cava Mezze. The owner of the restaurant would occasionally come over to hang out with us at the pizza place for a bit to get out of there for a break. He worked pretty much 14 hours a day 6 days a week and was constantly on his phone or running around the restaurant doing stuff. Always looked exhausted, smoked cigs like a chimney and usually had a Red Bull or coffee in hand every time I saw him.

I value my own time more than spending it working constantly
Old 05-23-2018, 09:02 AM
Prairie Dog Breeder

Word. I will never understand that aspect of American culture. What’s the point of working yourself to death while you earn a dime and your boss gets a dollar? When you are on your deathbed, are you going to look at at how happy you were working 80 hours a week or spending time with family/friends or on a vacation. Keep crushing that rat race, that’s the only point in life, same with having a new phone every 6 months!
Old 05-23-2018, 09:09 AM
Drunk Wagon Pilot

I mean if it makes someone happy more power to them

I just don't see the point of spending time somewhere you don't really want to be. Same with those people that are afraid to take vacations and being away from work thinking it looks bad on them and their boss will fire them when they get back. Odds are the boss wishes he was on vacation lol
Old 05-23-2018, 09:09 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93Accord117 View Post
Word. I will never understand that aspect of American culture. Whatís the point of working yourself to death while you earn a dime and your boss gets a dollar? When you are on your deathbed, are you going to look at at how happy you were working 80 hours a week or spending time with family/friends or on a vacation. Keep crushing that rat race, thatís the only point in life, same with having a new phone every 6 months!

Old 05-23-2018, 09:11 AM
Will you make something up for me please?

Word. I will never understand that aspect of American culture. Whatís the point of working yourself to death while you earn a dime and your boss gets a dollar? When you are on your deathbed, are you going to look at at how happy you were working 80 hours a week or spending time with family/friends or on a vacation. Keep crushing that rat race, thatís the only point in life, same with having a new phone every 6 months!
Go be the boss!

Yeah, 99% of the time you'll always have a boss higher than you, but you can get close to the top if you work hard.

Then you get the dollar.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:13 AM
Drunk Wagon Pilot

Originally Posted by shamoo View Post
Go be the boss!

Yeah, 99% of the time you'll always have a boss higher than you, but you can get close to the top if you work hard.

Then you get the dollar.
How many average joes will end up being the boss though?

I'll put in some extra time now and then if it's requested of me and I get paid OT but to voluntarily spend 12+ hours a day working?

lolnope soon as my 40 hours are up I'm ******* outta there
Old 05-23-2018, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Pinja View Post
How many average joes will end up being the boss though?
Zero. That's why bosses, CEOs, business owners, etc. have attitudes that are well above average.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:25 AM
I collect venereal diseases

Originally Posted by CBXweb View Post
Thats the part where where it becomes subjective to me. Iíd rather try my hand at doing Commercials than busting my *** only to find out I canít get on with the crew because the Foreman didnít like when I said ďDudeĒ.
There's well more than just one or two crews. You have to be a pretty big POS to not find a crew you can work with. The one guy I saw get fired was so bad at the job he told us he didn't know a fracking stage had started. There's fourteen industrial diesel engines pumping water down a well when running stages. You can't not hear them.

Originally Posted by Rguy View Post
100hrs a week even sitting around doing nothing is silly.
That's why I started day trading.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:26 AM
Prairie Dog Breeder

Go be the boss!

Then you get the dollar.
Indeed, that’s the plan. I work plenty hard now and only plan to keep rising, but there is a serious work/life balance that I think is absolutely vital. That is one thing Europe does right (in general). More power to people who are down to work that much in a high risk industry, but one does need to assess what they treasure in life.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:28 AM
Paragraph Alert

Originally Posted by Rguy View Post
100hrs a week even sitting around doing nothing is silly.
It is. It definitely takes a certain type of person, but hell we've had millennial Instagram girls who have been able to handle it, at least for a short period of time. The might not have all been good but they also didn't break down into a complete mess either. You'd be surprised what you can adjust to.

But again you need to have a goal. You don't get in it to be a floor hand for the rest of your life. There are all sorts of paths within the oil industry to take and although degrees are desired more than they used to be it is still one of the few fields out there where you can get to very high level "engineer" type positions with just a high school diploma.

I for example actually don't make all that much right now. I survived the downturn but have also been enduring pay cuts and pay freezes even though I've moved up to now working in and out of the lead position. Our pay will have to go up at some point to retain people but offshore is slower to respond. You can go out to west Texas right now and probably start off making more than I make, although you'll have less time off and no schedule.

However, I now have the experience to where I'm being looked at by the major oil companies as a consultant. It's DEFINITELY not guaranteed but the two guys who mentored me have already gone on to doing just that (and are who recommended me). Either way though I'm on the cusp lol.

Those two mentors of mine now work in those mega corp headquarters on a 2 week on/2 week off rock solid rotation making somewhere north of 200k a year. The most experienced of the two is likely making closer to 300k and he dropped out of high school in 10th grade. Better yet their job is low stress as they don't manage anyone and are there as former field experts to monitor rig activities being fed to them via satellite.

So yeah, imagine making 200k a year working only two weeks a month with a low-stress job? Not exactly the worst career options in the world.

But to get to those better gigs guess what? You've gotta put in your grunt time out in the field. I tell people to view it sort of like med-school/residency. If you're willing to deal with some upfront suck it has the potential to lead to quite the payoff. The difference is that this career path doesn't require a good MCAT score.

Of course, I say all of this and then watch me get laid off tomorrow and blacklisted from the oil industry lol.

TLDR: Oil field has a ton of jobs besides entry field hands. Get in the door, work your butt off and learn and there is huge career potential.

Originally Posted by CBXweb View Post
Thats the part where where it becomes subjective to me. I’d rather try my hand at doing Commercials than busting my *** only to find out I can’t get on with the crew because the Foreman didn’t like when I said “Dude”.

What job doesn't require you getting along with your superiors lol? Yeah, if you repeatedly **** off your boss you probably aren't going far in the oil field or any field for that matter.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:34 AM
GLD's Expert

Sounds good for people that are young, no obligations in life, etc.

It's probably easy to save the money since you don't have the downtime to spend it
Old 05-23-2018, 09:41 AM
aka DaZman69!

Early 20’s + 100k a year for a few years + some wise financial choices = comfortable for life
Old 05-23-2018, 09:49 AM
Paragraph Alert

This will probably sound crazy if you've never experienced it but one of the biggest things that hooks people into staying in the oil industry IS the work-life balance once you're in a job where you have a rotation. There are definitely tradeoffs and it depends on your own personal mentality and how you like to structure your life.

So for example in my job back before the crash I worked a steady 2 weeks on/2 weeks off. My schedule has been more erratic the past few years due to being short on personnel at my position but it is still something that my crew primarily gets to work out itself. And when we have a full crew we get to set our own schedules. If I want to work 3 weeks and then take 3 weeks off I do that. My relief wants an extra week off? He calls me up, I tell him I'm cool with making more money, and I either take an extra week off next time or just don't and pocket an extra week's pay.

Once you've experienced getting weeks off at a time all throughout the year without having to worry about building up vacation hours, putting in for approval, or worrying about getting behind on work the idea of going back to a normal job where you only get weekends off unless you ask for permission can be difficult to swallow.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:51 AM
Paragraph Alert

Originally Posted by Tennobanzai View Post

It's probably easy to save the money since you don't have the downtime to spend it
You'd be surprised lol.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ActiveAero View Post
This will probably sound crazy if you've never experienced it but one of the biggest things that hooks people into staying in the oil industry IS the work-life balance once you're in a job where you have a rotation. There are definitely tradeoffs and it depends on your own personal mentality and how you like to structure your life.

So for example in my job back before the crash I worked a steady 2 weeks on/2 weeks off. My schedule has been more erratic the past few years due to being short on personnel at my position but it is still something that my crew primarily gets to work out itself. And when we have a full crew we get to set our own schedules. If I want to work 3 weeks and then take 3 weeks off I do that. My relief wants an extra week off? He calls me up, I tell him I'm cool with making more money, and I either take an extra week off next time or just don't and pocket an extra week's pay.

Once you've experienced getting weeks off at a time all throughout the year without having to worry about building up vacation hours, putting in for approval, or worrying about getting behind on work the idea of going back to a normal job where you only get weekends off unless you ask for permission can be difficult to swallow.
I can definitely see the appeal there.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yep, I can barely take 40-50.

Also I heard that the FAA is taking on trainees for their air traffic division. Can be $80-200K or something relatively quickly. But also longer-ish hours.
i dispatch somewhere else and when first starting was stressful enough. now that iíve done it long enough itís a piece of cake. but from what i hear FAA has an age limit. can be very stressful. but i hear they limit their hours to make sure youíre on your game since your responsible for all the planes coming and going. but do get paid well. everyone has a different definition of stress so i wonder what the job of an air traffic controller actually entails.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Early retirement brah.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Tennobanzai View Post
Sounds good for people that are young, no obligations in life, etc.

I was 15 days on 6 days off. Six days is plenty of time to blow through some money. Met quite a few guys with nothing to show for all their time worked. Bringing home $1500 a week but "man, they don't pay us ****."
Old 05-23-2018, 11:32 AM
Drunk Wagon Pilot

Originally Posted by ZTwentyH8 View Post
I was 15 days on 6 days off. Six days is plenty of time to blow through some money. Met quite a few guys with nothing to show for all their time worked. Bringing home $1500 a week but "man, they don't pay us ****."
I'm guessing those are the single dudes you see living in a McMansion, lifted truck in the driveway and a bunch of toys (ATV's, boat, etc) in the garage but they're broke as all ****
Old 05-23-2018, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The Murican dream.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Pinja View Post
I'm guessing those are the single dudes you see living in a McMansion, lifted truck in the driveway and a bunch of toys (ATV's, boat, etc) in the garage but they're broke as all ****
Nope. I'm talking about single guys with beat early 2000s Accords and trucks, living in meh rental houses and somehow only have a couple hundred dollars in the bank account. I mean nothing to show for their work. If toys are what make you happy and you don't mind not having much in the bank, do you. But not having money or anything else I don't understand.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:42 AM
Paragraph Alert

Guy making 200k that didn't contribute to our 401k when it gave a 9% match on a 6% contribution (as in better than 100% matching) because, and I quote, "I gotta have something to live off of."

I'm pretty sure I yelled at him after hearing that and he 100% deserved it lol.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:43 AM
Drunk Wagon Pilot

Nope. I'm talking about single guys with beat early 2000s Accords and trucks, living in meh rental houses and somehow only have a couple hundred dollars in the bank account. I mean nothing to show for their work. If toys are what make you happy and you don't mind not having much in the bank, do you. But not having money or anything else I don't understand.
Wait what in the literal ****? The hell are they blowing money on?

Food? Booze? Drugs and hookers?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need a good paying job with no experience? Oilfield is hiring again.

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.