Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Community Forums > General Discussion and Debate
Reload this Page >

Need a good paying job with no experience? Oilfield is hiring again.

Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a good paying job with no experience? Oilfield is hiring again.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:28 AM
Paragraph Alert

Default Need a good paying job with no experience? Oilfield is hiring again.

Just thought I'd make a post for people who aren't in the industry loop. West Texas is hiring like crazy right now and for the first time in years even my deepwater division is on a significant hiring run (currently hiring about 12-15 new people after cutting field employees down by over half the past few years).

If you've got no degree but good work ethic and common sense you can drive or fly out to West Texas and find entry-level jobs that are likely going to pay you 80-100k a year starting. Keep in mind when you're looking at hourly pay rates, and they look low, that you'll be working approximately 100hrs a week give or take so the vast majority of your hours will be at 1.5 the quoted base hourly rate plus you'll typically have per diem. You need to apply in person though, literally drive around and politely demand to speak to someone at any place that is hiring which is nearly all of them and/or go to the local rig hand watering holes and do the same. You're going to work your *** off for the money but if you're smart and have good work ethic you can transition into other areas of the field where you work less but make even more money.

If you have any sort of commercial driver's license or a degree even better.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need a good paying job with no experience? Oilfield is hiring again.

I will add: expect to spend a lot of time away from home. Also, they’re hiring a good bit in North Dakota.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:54 AM
BCICAN

Default Re: Need a good paying job with no experience? Oilfield is hiring again.

Good money and is great for people needing a job. Helllllllll ******* no to 100 hours a week. That is straight up silly. Not only silly, but dangerous as ****.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ActiveAero View Post
Keep in mind when you're looking at hourly pay rates, and they look low, that you'll be working approximately 100hrs a week give or take.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

milk it while you can.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:04 AM
Drunk Wagon Pilot

$100k/yr and 100 hour work weeks?

Let's say you work 3 weeks and take 1 week off per month

That's 40 weeks at 100 hours a week

4000 hours

100,000 / 4000 = $25/hr before taxes/insurance/401k contributions

And you're doing hard, dangerous manual labor covered in grime sweating your *** off?

fuuuuuuuuuuck that
Old 05-23-2018, 07:12 AM
Prairie Dog Breeder

Nothing like being able to die on one of these old beasts to get that sweet, sweet cash!

Old 05-23-2018, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If they need folks, and there are people who need jobs, well.....
Old 05-23-2018, 07:31 AM
Prairie Dog Breeder

For sure, nothing wrong with it at all. I just wouldn’t want to die on the job site. Plus, the trump administration would be amazing at handling an oil spill after their expedient work in Puerto Rico.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:35 AM
I collect venereal diseases

Originally Posted by Dunc View Post
Helllllllll ******* no to 100 hours a week. That is straight up silly. Not only silly, but dangerous as ****.
Not really. I just left a job working at fracking sites because it was too much sitting. Twelve to fourteen hour days and I realistically did about three hours worth of work a day.

Originally Posted by 93Accord117 View Post
Nothing like being able to die on one of these old beasts to get that sweet, sweet cash!
Because that's definitely a daily occurrence...
Old 05-23-2018, 07:44 AM
Paragraph Alert

Originally Posted by Pinja View Post
$100k/yr and 100 hour work weeks?

Let's say you work 3 weeks and take 1 week off per month

That's 40 weeks at 100 hours a week

4000 hours

100,000 / 4000 = $25/hr before taxes/insurance/401k contributions

And you're doing hard, dangerous manual labor covered in grime sweating your *** off?

fuuuuuuuuuuck that
Originally Posted by Dunc View Post
Good money and is great for people needing a job. Helllllllll ******* no to 100 hours a week. That is straight up silly. Not only silly, but dangerous as ****.
You don't go into it to be an entry-level rig hand for the next 40 years of your life. If you're not dumb you are either:

1. Doing it with the intention of it only being in the industry for a relatively short-term job where you can gain crazy levels of field experience while stacking away some cash to pay down debt and/or rack up a nice nest egg. If you're some neckbeard who has only worked at Target it can be a great way to make some money while adding experience to your resume that can get you a good "normal" plant job whereas right now they just dump your resume in the trash.

Or

2. Trying to move up as quickly as possible once you figure out an industry path you want to take. There are tons of different types of jobs in the oil industry.

And yes at first you might be working your *** off for weeks on end with hardly any break but once your foot is in the door and the options open up you'll have access to jobs that either:

1. Have a rotation where you also get huge chunks of time off.

2. Get paid vastly more.

3. Or a combination of both 1 and 2.

And after adjusting to working close to 100hrs a week for weeks on end it's nice knowing that pretty much any other job you'll ever work will be easy mode by comparison (at least in terms of hours).
Old 05-23-2018, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93Accord117 View Post
For sure, nothing wrong with it at all. I just wouldn’t want to die on the job site. Plus, the trump administration would be amazing at handling an oil spill after their expedient work in Puerto Rico.
Because what happened in Peurto rico had nothing to do with the corrupt local government or previously completely inadequate utilities.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:50 AM
Paragraph Alert

Originally Posted by ZTwentyH8 View Post
Not really. I just left a job working at fracking sites because it was too much sitting. Twelve to fourteen hour days and I realistically did about three hours worth of work a day.
And this. It's not like you're going to be swinging a sledgehammer for 14hrs straight 7 days a week.

Offshore I have some days where it is ***** to the walls from the time I wake up until the time I go to bed. Other days I'm sitting around with a minor amount of work just monitoring and keeping my equipment running.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:00 AM
aka DaZman69!

Perfect for someone single in their 20’s to do it for a year

But Honestly 100 hours a week of labor is bonkers. I done lots of hard labor and I honestly don’t know if I could hang.

Thats like 14 hours a freaking day, 7 days a week. How the hell can the human body tolerate that. I’m guessing it’s either not really 100 hours or the manual labor is not super bad.

edit: AA ninja’d me with the answer
Old 05-23-2018, 08:01 AM
Prairie Dog Breeder

Originally Posted by LightningTeg View Post
Because what happened in Peurto rico had nothing to do with the corrupt local government or previously completely inadequate utilities.
I see.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

And this. It's not like you're going to be swinging a sledgehammer for 14hrs straight 7 days a week.

Offshore I have some days where it is ***** to the walls from the time I wake up until the time I go to bed. Other days I'm sitting around with a minor amount of work just monitoring and keeping my equipment running.

I kinda figured, but as you said you still need to keep an eye on what you're responsible.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:05 AM
Sensational

And yes at first you might be working your *** off for weeks on end with hardly any break but once your foot is in the door and the options open up you'll have access to jobs that either:

1. Have a rotation where you also get huge chunks of time off.

2. Get paid vastly more.

3. Or a combination of both 1 and 2.

And after adjusting to working close to 100hrs a week for weeks on end it's nice knowing that pretty much any other job you'll ever work will be easy mode by comparison (at least in terms of hours).

Thats the part where where it becomes subjective to me. I’d rather try my hand at doing Commercials than busting my *** only to find out I can’t get on with the crew because the Foreman didn’t like when I said “Dude”.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:09 AM
Head Of Bespoke

100hrs a week even sitting around doing nothing is silly.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:11 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Good that the jobs are out there.

Problem is these days, nobody wants to do "real" work.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:13 AM
Will you make something up for me please?

Originally Posted by Rguy View Post
100hrs a week even sitting around doing nothing is silly.
Yep, I can barely take 40-50.

Also I heard that the FAA is taking on trainees for their air traffic division. Can be $80-200K or something relatively quickly. But also longer-ish hours.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:13 AM
Imgur Lives Matter

alternatively

move to indiana, join the union and make $20 an hour starting and work as much OT as you can stomach
Old 05-23-2018, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The price of oil keeps creeping up and is at a 4 year high right now. Is it because of demand, or is it because of the falling dollar? I want to go back but I'm afraid the bottom is going to fall out and I will get laid off. I saw this happen in 2009 and 2014.

I'm also procrastinating because I'm no spring chicken anymore. When I was working last time though, we had guys in their late 40's and 50's doing it so, I dunno. I was on a frac crew, by the way, not a rig.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:16 AM
Head Of Bespoke

Originally Posted by shamoo View Post
Yep, I can barely take 40-50.

Also I heard that the FAA is taking on trainees for their air traffic division. Can be $80-200K or something relatively quickly. But also longer-ish hours.
Im doing everything i can to get into Software sales. 35 hour or less work weeks doing maybe half that in actual "work" but with the potential OTE of 200-400k. I wish I would have known about these "sales engineer" positions when I was starting my career.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:19 AM
#stillneedsadiaper

Originally Posted by CBXweb View Post

Thats the part where where it becomes subjective to me. I’d rather try my hand at doing Commercials than busting my *** only to find out I can’t get on with the crew because the Foreman didn’t like when I said “Dude”.
my culture is not your goddamn prom dress
Old 05-23-2018, 08:21 AM
Will you make something up for me please?

Originally Posted by Rguy View Post
Im doing everything i can to get into Software sales. 35 hour or less work weeks doing maybe half that in actual "work" but with the potential OTE of 200-400k. I wish I would have known about these "sales engineer" positions when I was starting my career.
My uncle is in a sales engineer position. Pretty much any sales position (corporate sales) will net you a pretty damn good income.

However, you have a lot of pressure placed upon you to perform. There are tons of other sales guys out there willing to take your place in a heartbeat if you can't perform and usually your boss is quick to replace you. In most places I've worked, sales people are coming/going all the time. Very few stay long term at a single company. Even my uncle has been laid off many times, just to move onto another sales engineering job a couple of weeks later.

EDIT: I guess it depends on what type of sales it is. For example, are you constantly trying to find leads and making cold calls to other companies trying to do business? RFIs, RFPs, etc with a long line of potential clients you have to talk to? Or is it just maintaining current relationships and getting one or two clients a year at best. Typically the former has a much higher salary since you're making a hell of a lot in commissions. Some in my company are making hundreds of thousands every time they land a bigger client. The latter....maybe no commission at all and you're just at a base salary of $80-200K or something.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need a good paying job with no experience? Oilfield is hiring again.

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.