My "Serta mattress Saga" (warning: long read, only look if you're bored, lol) - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.

My "Serta mattress Saga" (warning: long read, only look if you're bored, lol)

Old 07-03-2008, 08:23 AM   #1
11:11

Default My "Serta mattress Saga" (warning: long read, only look if you're bored, lol)

This story starts in August of 2005, when my fiancé moved in with me. Up until that point, I was content with sleeping on my twin sized bunk-bed looking mattress that I had since adolescence. Sure it wasn’t the most comfortable thing in the world, but I was used to it. But the fact of the matter was, it would not accommodate two people.

So our search for a new mattress began. We tried several local vendors, laid on dozens of beds, but for one reason or another we couldn't agree on one (be it price, be it comfort, whatever).

After a few weeks of looking around, we try this new place called "America's Mattress" (more on them later), we lay on all of their beds, but this time we find one we both like, a "top of the line" (so they say) king sized “Serta” Vera **** pillow-top mattress.

We both liked it, I wasn’t 100% in love with the price (it was “on sale” for $1,600.00) but we bought it anyway. As luck would have it, it wasn’t in stock. We weren’t about to take the floor model, so we waited the week or so that it took for the store to get one. It arrives to the store, they deliver it to us, set it up, and finally we have our new mattress. First few nights were great, it was everything I expected, but after only a weeks worth of good sleep, the problems start. Huge body impressions on each side, I could barely roll over, as it seemed I was laying in the middle of a ditch.

Luckily this bed came with a 20 year warranty (one of the reasons we bought it), but it's not like we could just take it back to the store and get a new one that day. We had to make a warranty claim with the store that we bought it from. We do that, the guy comes out, looks it over, lays some type of “impression gauge” across it, then says "yeah, it’s got impressions, but we'll have to send it to Serta for their final say so". He takes it away, and leaves us mattress-less. Luckily, I kept ahold of "old faithful" (my old mattress, lol), so we cram onto that for a few nights while Serta does what they need to do to issue a replacement.

I guess I should have seen this coming, but those "few nights" turned into a few months, but finally Serta got back to us, saying Yes, our mattress was a defect, and that they'll be sending a new one to the store we bought it from. Great. Now I knew it would probably take a few days or even weeks for the new mattress to be shipped to the store, so I wasn’t getting my hopes up of having the new mattress anytime soon. So I call up America’s Mattress, speak to the manager, and inform him of our situation, that Serta is sending our new mattress to him, and I instruct him to call me when it arrives.

One month passes, no phone call. So I call him, he says it’s not there, and that I should call Serta for an update. I do so, Serta says they’re making wholesale design changes to their Vera **** pillow top line, that they’re not shipping any of the old-designs as replacements (to avoid future hassles such as this, which is understandable), but that the new Mattresses should be out within a few months. Serta apologized for the delay, but assured me it would be well worth the wait, and thanked me for my patience. OK, what other choice do I have, so the wait continues.

Fast forward 6 months later, 2006 came and went; we’re a few months into 2007, it’s been well over a year since our original purchase date and we had two weeks of useful sleep on that mattress. Still no phone call from America’s Mattress, no update from Serta.

I make more phone calls, first to America’s Mattress. I find that they moved locations, now they’re a few towns away. They give me the same story. I call Serta, they claim the new ones will be available very shortly. At this point, I don’t even want one of the new ones, I just want my money back. Manager says that’s not going to happen, so if we want a new mattress it’s best we wait for the new replacement.

FINALLY, in the summer of 2007, almost 2 years after our original purchase, we got a phone call from the store saying it’s in, and that they’ll deliver it free of charge. EXCELLENT.

It’s delivered the next day, we set it up, and have a great night sleep. We continue to have great night sleeps for the next few weeks, then like a recurring nightmare, the impressions return. I can’t believe this, I start questioning myself, am I the problem? I mean, I’m a bigger guy, a little over 200lbs, but still, should the bed be doing this? But how can I be the problem if it’s happening to her side too, and she’s only 100 and some lbs. Together, we don’t weight more than 350 lbs, surely this bed should be able to support that.

Well ****, here we go again, another warranty claim filed, another guy comes out to look it over, another “yes it has impressions”, another mattress removed for Serta’s claim approval, and more waiting. Deja freaking vu.

This time, I don’t even want a replacement, now I really just want my money back. Serta tells me to take that up with America’s Mattress, since that’s who I bought it from, so I call them up hoping to discuss this with the manager.

Now this may come as no surprise, but low and behold, America’s Mattress has went out of business. Great, now what? So I haggle around with Serta for a while, but the most I can get from them is “we’ll be happy to send another replacement, but we cannot issue a refund”.

Well, thinking I had no other option, I accept they’re offer, and take the replacement, hoping and praying that just maybe that the third time will be the charm.

We took delivery of the newest mattress in early June of this year, almost three years after our initial purchase. It’s been a about a month, and you guessed it, more body impressions.

At this point, I’m done messing around. I’m buying a new non-Serta mattress from a well established store, and I’m going to sue Serta directly for product liability. Hopefully they’ll realize that the cost to defend a lawsuit will be more than the cost of a refund, so maybe they're settle out of courst, and I’ll get my money back after all. If they defend and I loose, O well; I will have spent the majority of the last 3 years sleeping miserably, and will have learned a $1,600 lesson.

Cliffs/moral of story: don’t buy a Serta mattress; but more specifically, don’t buy it from a fly-by-night mattress retailer.
smithenhiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:27 AM   #2
Don't believe the rumors

Default Re: My "Serta mattress Saga" (smithenhiven)

$1600 for a mattress... sheeesh.

....then again, I can sleep perfectly on pretty much ANY couch, so i'm not much of a picky sleeper.
crawdad689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:31 AM   #3
Honda-Tech Member

Dude get a costco mattress, best bed I have ever slept in and if anything ever goes wrong they will take it back right then and there with no haggling.
Rednas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:31 AM   #4
318 Curves, 11 miles

Default Re: My "Serta mattress Saga" (crawdad689)

Jeeeeze. I bought a Sealy with box spring and frame for around $500, and have been comfortable on it for like 2 years.
Vindicator9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:32 AM   #5
Batpool

Jesus. What a nightmare of a story. If you do in fact decide to sue, you should also throw in personal injury/pain and suffering for having to have two people sleep for most of 3 years in a twin while waiting for them to give you your mattress.

You have a good case too, they refused to refund your money, but they wouldn't send you a replacement in a decent amount of time. You were forced to use your old bed, and because it was such an expensive buy, you couldn't just run out and purchase another bed, especially because you were promised to eventually have the bed you paid for.

I hate people who sue all *****-nilly for the most ridiculous things, but in this situation I think you are more than justified in wanting to take this to court.

SilentEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:34 AM   #6
I'm here for the gangbang!

Are you married yet?
Lewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:42 AM   #7
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Lewie)

cliffs?
scrooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:48 AM   #8
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewie
Are you married yet?
lol
Intense3.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:49 AM   #9
HT Order of Merit

Default Re: (Intense3.2)

Damn... you have patience. No way I would have gone through all that **** after spending $1600 on a mattress!
JDM_Ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:51 AM   #10
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDM_Ej)

Patience... you has.
Intense3.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:56 AM   #11
STC
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Intense3.2)

I would have returned to the store after the 1st few weeks.
STC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewie
Are you married yet?
haha, not yet. Been engaged for ever now it seems, stuff just always comes up to where we put it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrooge
cliffs?
I ended with cliffs.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:11 AM   #13
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (smithenhiven)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithenhiven

I ended with cliffs.
WOW i just read the whole thing and you have superdupercalafrajalasticundertastic amonut of patience i would have gave up within a month
scrooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:19 AM   #14
Fortune Cookie Member

Default Re: My "Serta mattress Saga" (crawdad689)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad689
$1600 for a mattress... sheeesh.

....then again, I can sleep perfectly on pretty much ANY couch, so i'm not much of a picky sleeper.
i fell asleep on the kitchen floor last night (wood) with no pillow. i was just waiting for dinner and next thing i know, my mom is kicking me and telling me ive "been down there over an hour"

but yeah, serta better not f with honda-MF'in-tech s0n!
crdcz03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:31 AM   #15
Collector-o-Guns and Drinker

Default Re: (STC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STC
I would have returned to the store after the 1st few weeks.
I would have burned the store down after the first few weeks, damn.

And would call Serta six times a day, Bart Simpson-style.

"Is it ready yet? Is it ready yet? Is it ready yet? Is it ready yet? Is it ready yet? Is it ready yet? Is it ready yet? Is it ready yet? Is it ready yet? Is it ready yet? Is it ready yet? Is it ready yet? Is it ready yet? Is it ready yet? Is it ready yet?"
Splat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:43 AM   #16

Those impressions are not yours.

She's cheating on you.
schlurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:49 AM   #17
ucb
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My "Serta mattress Saga" (schlurp)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlurp

She's cheating on you.
Good point you has

But yeah, im glad I didnt go with a serta, I picked up a simmon's beauty rest for about $700 and that **** is MONEY
ucb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:09 AM   #18
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:

She's cheating on you.
lawl well played
NOT An Obvious Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:10 AM   #19
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My "Serta mattress Saga" (ucb)

I paid about $2000 for my Sealy Posturepedic Cal King and love it. I'm a bigger dude also. I was 310 when we got it, I'm at 250 now and still no issues with the bed. Glad my girl talked me into spending a little extra for the good matress.
Serio*Ferio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:13 AM   #20

Quote:

She's cheating on you.
lol,

Anyway, I'm filing my Pro Se lawsuit on Monday, I'm seeking damages in the amount of $3,000.00; $1,600.00 cost of bed, $400 court filing fees and service costs, and $1,000.00 mental anguish. I should probably ask for more, but I'm not trying to be frivolous.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:15 AM   #21

Default Re: My "Serta mattress Saga" (Serio*Ferio)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serio*Ferio
Glad my girl talked me into spending a little extra for the good matress.
See, that's what I thought I was doing, but obviously that was not the case.

Sealy Posturepedic, is that the memory foam bed?
Old 07-03-2008, 10:22 AM   #22
Tickle-shits

if they have a Sleepys matress store by you do business with them, very good people that go way out of their way to make sure the customer is happy
Tokyosmash! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:31 PM   #23
Honda-Tech Member

damn, i just bought one of the memory foam mattress off overstock last week for $360, best mattress I've ever slept on, and now you could get it for $300

http://www.overstock.com/Home-...views
vancoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:47 PM   #24

Default Re: My "Serta mattress Saga" (crdcz03)

[QUOTE=crdcz03]i fell asleep on the kitchen floor last night (wood) with no pillow. i was just waiting for dinner and next thing i know, my mom is kicking me and telling me ive "been down there over an hour" QUOTE]

You laid down on the kitchen floor while you waited for your food to heat up?
The Baumer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:48 PM   #25
Honda-Tech Member

your woman gayed you into getting a Vera **** piece of ****.

you should have just gone, Tempurpedic Memory Foam and called it a day.

also... you bought **** from a shady shop and are surprised that they are gone??? next time go to Costco.. they aren't going anywhere for a while.. and even if you don't like what you bought, they'll accept the return with open arms.

to you for not doing your fair share of retailer research.
DxBurnoutKing is offline   Reply With Quote