Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Community Forums > General Discussion and Debate
Reload this Page >

Missouri: Town won't let unmarried parents live together

Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Missouri: Town won't let unmarried parents live together

Old 05-17-2006, 12:09 PM
Oh yeah I forgot I can edit my own title! Yay!

Default Missouri: Town won't let unmarried parents live together

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/05/....html

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CNN.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">BLACK JACK, Missouri (AP) -- The City Council has rejected a measure allowing unmarried couples with multiple children to live together, and the mayor said those who fall into that category could soon face eviction.

Olivia Shelltrack and Fondrey Loving were denied an occupancy permit after moving into a home in this St. Louis suburb because they have three children and are not married.

The town's Planning and Zoning Commission proposed a change in the law, but the measure was rejected Tuesday by the City Council in a 5-3 vote.

"I'm just shocked," Shelltrack said. "I really thought this would all be over, and we could go on with our lives."

The current ordinance prohibits more than three people from living together unless they are related by "blood, marriage or adoption." The defeated measure would have changed the definition of a family to include unmarried couples with two or more children.

Mayor Norman McCourt declined to be interviewed but said in a statement that those who do not meet the town's definition of family could soon face eviction.

Black Jack's special counsel, Sheldon Stock, declined to say whether the city will seek to remove Loving and Shelltrack from their home.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So freaking stupid...
Old 05-17-2006, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Missouri: Town won't let unmarried parents live together (Bishop Don A. Shizzle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bishop Don A. Shizzle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/05/....html

So freaking stupid...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don King: Only in America
Old 05-17-2006, 12:11 PM
GDD's DJ EX-M0D

Default Re: Missouri: Town won't let unmarried parents live together (Bishop Don A. Shizzle)

Just when I thought we were making progress http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/05/....html here in the MidWest
Old 05-17-2006, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, this is a little skewed because I know for a fact MANY cities have very similar ordinances. It's not that they won't let them live together because they aren't married, it's that no more than 3 people who aren't related by blood or marriage can be "roommates". Lots of cities have high-occupancy ordinances to prevent illegal immigrants from sharing a house or just to cut down on multi-family occupancy, which is a tax and safety burden. Of course, that's the justification for the ordinance, not for how it seems to be applied here. Seems the council was considering repealing or amending due to this specific case and chose not to. I'm sure there's more to this story. I imagine there were lengthly planning and zoning meetings, then a monster of a city council meeting. I seriously doubt it's all because of some biblical interpretation of family and sin and whatever. That just makes it a better "Gee, isn't the South backward and dumb" story we all love so much.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Missouri: Town won't let unmarried parents live together (Chairman Kaga)

easy solutions.... get married or MOVE!
Old 05-17-2006, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Missouri: Town won't let unmarried parents live together (chris c)

best solution is move outta the midwest. ive lived here for 12 years and am on my way out!but yeah, i think thats a little wrong.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:01 AM
INSERT TITLE HERE

Default Re: Missouri: Town won't let unmarried parents live together (Chairman Kaga)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, this is a little skewed because I know for a fact MANY cities have very similar ordinances. </TD></TR></TABLE>

True but they use common sense and decency when enforcing them.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I seriously doubt it's all because of some biblical interpretation of family and sin and whatever.</TD></TR></TABLE>

See the mayors comments:

""While it would be naive to say that we don't recognize that children are born out of wedlock frequently these days, we certainly don't believe that is the type of environment within which children should be brought into this world," the mayor wrote."

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Program....html

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That just makes it a better "Gee, isn't the South backward and dumb" story we all love so much.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Missouri is not the south but I get your point. Having said that, they tend to bring it on themselves.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Missouri: Town won't let unmarried parents live together (FR-MOB: Chubzilla)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FR-MOB: Chubzilla &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don King: Only in America</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 05-18-2006, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Missouri: Town won't let unmarried parents live together (FR-MOB: Chubzilla)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FR-MOB: Chubzilla &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Only in America</TD></TR></TABLE>only in america can 2 people who are not married be banned from living together, yet people of the same sex can get married and adopt kids.

Old 05-18-2006, 06:59 AM
I luv the Interweb

Default Re: Missouri: Town won't let unmarried parents live together (.brian.)

I posted in the other thread about this, but I guess I'll say it again.

Does this state not have a common law marriage law?
Old 05-18-2006, 07:01 AM
Semper Fidelis

Default Re: Missouri: Town won't let unmarried parents live together (.brian.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .brian. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">only in america can 2 people who are not married be banned from living together, yet people of the same sex can get married and adopt kids.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Sad but true

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shadygirl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I posted in the other thread about this, but I guess I'll say it again.

Does this state not have a common law marriage law?</TD></TR></TABLE>
I was also wondering this
Old 05-18-2006, 07:06 AM
INSERT TITLE HERE

Default Re: Missouri: Town won't let unmarried parents live together (shadygirl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shadygirl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I posted in the other thread about this, but I guess I'll say it again.

Does this state not have a common law marriage law?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't believe they do. Many of the more conservative states don't have common law marriage.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:17 AM
amin n'rangwa edanea

black jack, missouri can lick my *****

here's to destroying families because of some bullshit laws with no tangible benefits
Old 05-18-2006, 07:19 AM
I luv the Interweb

Default Re: Missouri: Town won't let unmarried parents live together (newt2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by newt2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I don't believe they do. Many of the more conservative states don't have common law marriage. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I searched and I guess they don't....

"Common law marriages have been prohibited in Missouri since June 20, 1921; persons involved in such relationships have no legal interest in common property unless both names are on deeds, etc"...

http://www.umsystem.edu/shs/marriage.html
?
Old 05-18-2006, 08:28 AM
INSERT TITLE HERE

Default Re: Missouri: Town won't let unmarried parents live together (shadygirl)

I found a picture of the couple on this website. It all makes sense now.

http://www.thedenverchannel.co....html
Old 05-18-2006, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by newt2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I found a picture of the couple on this website. It all makes sense now.

http://www.thedenverchannel.co....html</TD></TR></TABLE>as sad as it is, that most likely is the truth.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:32 AM

hey, this looks like an opportunity for the ACLU to actually do something useful!
Old 05-18-2006, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Missouri: Town won't let unmarried parents live together (dreamer)

retarded law. Good thing that law was never in place where i live considering my mother has never been married.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:06 AM

Default Re: Missouri: Town won't let unmarried parents live together (dreamer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dreamer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey, this looks like an opportunity for the ACLU to actually do something useful!</TD></TR></TABLE>

What like protecting the civil liberties of ALL Americans? Maybe if they pain NBC to do a story and publicize all of their pending lawsuits instead of the ones that involve representing morons then all of you who don't know any better could educate yourselves.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:09 AM
B.
400 HP Club

Default Re: Missouri: Town won't let unmarried parents live together (uncle)

they lived together as brother and sister before kids...... so what's the difference now???
Old 05-18-2006, 09:14 AM

suckers

common-law FTW!!!!!1111
Old 05-18-2006, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Finally, some population control. Hopefully the other 49 will follow suit.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:51 AM

Who would want to live in Missouri anyway? That place sucks *****.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ergot)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ergot &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Who would want to live in Missouri anyway? That place sucks *****.</TD></TR></TABLE>

QFT
Old 05-18-2006, 09:55 AM
INSERT TITLE HERE

Default Re: (ergot)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ergot &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Who would want to live in Missouri anyway? That place sucks *****.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No ****. My folks just moved there in January. It was all I could do to not smack them and say "WTF Dad?".

As far as I can tell the only redeeming quality to the place is that the cool fireworks are legal. Other than that all they've got is the Cheifs who just happen to be the second most despicable team in the NFL, right behind the Raiders (OK, I'm letting my inner Bronco fan show here... ).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.