Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Microsoft office...YouTube beat option?

Old 05-15-2019, 12:41 PM
at the jetties fishin'

Default Microsoft office...YouTube beat option?

Crash courses and advanced features? I started a detail which can lead into a full-time position that pays a minimum of $19k over what I currently make...and them keeps climbing. It deals heavily with parts of office I only know the basics...or nothing about. Power point, excel, access.y wife lives in PowerPoint so I'm good there but I need options for the other two. Everyone I talk to says YouTube but all I see are "overviews". How do you properly search specific topics that you don't even know the key words for lol?

I don't want to get caught in a project where it's due in a day and I have no idea how to even search for what I want to do. And yes, during the interview I made sure I told them I haven't used these programs in over a decade. They didn't care because of my other current skillset which they never apparently thought they would get someone with to apply lol.

100% desk job and I can work from home and help develop national policy...and make gobs more money? Um yes please.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:46 PM
BCICAN

Default Re: Microsoft office...YouTube beat option?

I've learned Excel & VBA by google searching. I typically search for a general idea of what I'm trying to do and then tweak the solutions I find to fit my needs. It's just taken time to learn it all and there is still a crazy amount out there I could learn. Kind of the same with Access. I just mess with it until it works the way I want it to. Like other have said though, YouTube has been just as important as Google search results, e.g. Excel forum threads.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:46 PM
Head Of Bespoke

Youtube (search excel tutoring,excel basics, office basics, etc)... khan academy.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:48 PM
eight equals equals equals D

Does the job require you to use every program in MS Office? Access is the only one that I would think would take any time to learn since its a database system and is quite different than the rest. Power point is just Word for slides. Everything in excel you can learn from online help and youtube videos.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:02 PM
at the jetties fishin'

Looking around on the SharePoint page for the group it looks like a combo of word, Excell, PowerPoint, and a couple of access files. Mainly it's analyzing databases for trends for outbreaks and trying to make our response better. They want me because I'm a senior investigator with tons of field experience in every area of interest..as well as micro lab experience (even rarer) and I've been an active trainer for state/federal inspectors so I can even teach them since most of them haven't been in the field.

One thing I chuckled to myself in a meeting today about to myself is they want me to do a PowerPoint for them on how to peel back the layers on a 483 and EIR and I straight up told them I will do my best but you really need field experience to be able to read through the lines as all investigators are different and the way they word things may not be "right" because they may be new...hell they might use the wrong cites which make it look less important...but them you see the evidence and go whoa...this should have been reworded and put under a different cite. Etc.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:21 PM
Track Advocate

The levels and depth that you can go into with excel is massive. PowerPoint should be a breeze with your wife helping you and Word isn't too bad to learn. Even overviews give a lot of details. But Excel is a different level on it's own. If you have a good idea of what you need to learn, then I would start there. Begin with the basics if you don't know them.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would learn all you can about macros within excel if it's about analyzing databses, as well as access like others said. You can do a lot with access to make data management easier. You can do a lot with excel to compare relative data.

There are definitely books you can buy that gives you general or advanced overview of office. Just check amazon.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:07 PM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

Originally Posted by stackz View Post
Crash courses and advanced features? I started a detail which can lead into a full-time position that pays a minimum of $19k over what I currently make...and them keeps climbing. It deals heavily with parts of office I only know the basics...or nothing about. Power point, excel, access.y wife lives in PowerPoint so I'm good there but I need options for the other two. Everyone I talk to says YouTube but all I see are "overviews". How do you properly search specific topics that you don't even know the key words for lol?

I don't want to get caught in a project where it's due in a day and I have no idea how to even search for what I want to do. And yes, during the interview I made sure I told them I haven't used these programs in over a decade. They didn't care because of my other current skillset which they never apparently thought they would get someone with to apply lol.

100% desk job and I can work from home and help develop national policy...and make gobs more money? Um yes please.
you can download a how to manual on what you need to know, I have one for access. Of course it takes longer to get to what you want to learn, If you have the patience read the manuals

and here's one for excel. Note: this looks like a simple how to. If you look hard enough you'll find a better one

https://www.mta.ca/uploadedFiles/Com...0Level%201.pdf
Old 05-16-2019, 03:26 AM
C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS

I honestly though this thread was going to be about some hidden feature in Excel to make techno music.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:27 AM
Imgur Lives Matter

Originally Posted by The GreenD16 View Post
I honestly though this thread was going to be about some hidden feature in Excel to make techno music.
excel can probably do it
Old 05-16-2019, 03:30 AM
Imgur Lives Matter

I'm dumb as hell but you can do crazy stuff with simple buttons and it blows peoples minds

Old 05-16-2019, 03:31 AM
Imgur Lives Matter

srs though, what kind of advanced features? or more you just want to prove you have a deep knowledge? My boss is the king of ridiculous Office features
Old 05-16-2019, 03:35 AM
C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS

Originally Posted by 90hatch94dsm View Post
excel can probably do it
I know. That's why I thought that. **** is wild.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:38 AM
eight equals equals equals D

Old 05-16-2019, 05:40 AM
C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS

I think Excel 97 had a flight simulator.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:43 AM
at the jetties fishin'

Originally Posted by 90hatch94dsm View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3SzAPvXrQg

srs though, what kind of advanced features? or more you just want to prove you have a deep knowledge? My boss is the king of ridiculous Office features
yeah, nowhere near that advanced haha. seriously? a piano in excel?
Old 05-16-2019, 05:54 AM
something gnarly

Old 05-16-2019, 07:10 AM
HT Order of Merit

With Excel, I will typically just search for the information when I'm trying to do something... if that makes sense. Learn the basic formulas which you will use the most often such as SUM, VLOOKUP, COUNTIF, TRIM which are some that I use a lot. Learn how to do PivotTables and Conditional Formatting too. Start with the basics.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.