Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mercedes Benz to be fossill fuel free by 2015

Old 07-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mercedes Benz to be fossill fuel free by 2015

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingt....html

Can Mercedes Become Fossil-Fuel Free in Just 7 Years? Probably Not

British paper The Sun reported that a top engineer for Mercedes-Benz said the company could ditch petroleum-fuel vehicles entirely by the year 2015.

The headline is a bit misleading because the engineer, Herbert Kohler, actually said that he saw alternative fuel and electric vehicles becoming dominant in urban areas by 2015. Still, the story was meant to highlight the rapid progress Mercedes hopes to make in shedding petroleum as the primary fuel for its cars. Ranging from Smart electric city cars to the Mercedes-Benz-branded hydrogen fuel-cell F600 Hygenius, the German automaker is trying to get a jump on the expanding market of alternatives to gas and diesel.

But then again, so is everyone else.

With 2010 acting as a de facto kick-off date for the supposed revolution of plug-in electric vehicles and other gas-light, environmentally friendly vehicles, Mercedes too has joined in the quest to manufacture the greenest cars. Still, it's one thing to invest in fuel-efficient technology and another to say that in seven years an automaker will only manufacture cars that don't need a drop of gasoline. But if a car company were to add more expensive, fuel-saving technology, it would help if its buyers were already used to spending luxury-car money at the dealership.

Merc Plan Fuel Seven Year Ditch (The Sun)

Old 07-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It would be nice to see Benz lead the way.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:40 PM
Oh yeah I forgot I can edit my own title! Yay!

Default Re: (xiaogou)

That would be awesome. If they can make this happen and the technology becomes available, we can slowly wean ourself off of fossil fuels and try and rid ourselves of the accompanying problems.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (Bishop Don Shizzle)

I'd be surprised if 5% of Mercedes cars sold worldwide in 2015 were fossil fuel free. I'd love to be wrong but that's just me being realistic.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:59 AM
rookn00b

They should try building reliable gas burners first, LOL!
Old 07-10-2008, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (xtrac1)

I really wanted a c32 amg years back but couldn't afford insurance and upkeep.

IMO, this is a big political statement from MB that they recognize peak oil and are not beholden to the oil lobby. They want to stay in business and are adjusting their business strategy accordingly.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:58 AM
El Chico

Default Re: (xiaogou)

It's nice to see the company that really started it all leading the way.

Because of MB's penchant for monster HP, we might actually get a decent output alternative fuel car as well.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:24 AM
Banned

Until the kerflunginator ecu, takes a crap.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:15 PM
hu

Default Re: (Knightsport)

I'm praying to the man above that this will deter my wife from getting another MB. The ML55 we have gets 13mpg. I am sick and tired of filling that thing up and having my credit card stop at 70 or 75$. The E55 is gone thank God. But problem is we want a awd or 4wd vehicle for winter (rwd doesn't cut it in winter)and we are wanting to have children soon so we want something safe, not a beer can.

I hope MB seriously comes through with this.

If other manufacturers follow it will put a strain on power companies and the coal industry. There isn't a limitless supply of coal. Iirc, the last coal estimate was taken back in the 70's and it was a 300 year supply. And that was at the 70's rate of consumption. I will have to double check this info. to make sure.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:27 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (hu)

Sounds like you need to look at some nice snow tires.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:52 PM
Screw you guys, I'm... going... home.

Default Re: (hu)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm praying to the man above that this will deter my wife from getting another MB. The ML55 we have gets 13mpg. I am sick and tired of filling that thing up and having my credit card stop at 70 or 75$. The E55 is gone thank God. But problem is we want a awd or 4wd vehicle for winter (rwd doesn't cut it in winter)and we are wanting to have children soon so we want something safe, not a beer can.</TD></TR></TABLE> There's plenty to choose from out there: BMW 535Xi sedan and wagon, half the Volvo fleet, lots of Subarus, not to mention all the mini vans and crossovers and smaller SUVs that would fit the bill. Economy vs size and features is always a trade off, but your available options today are way better than they were a decade ago.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I hope MB seriously comes through with this.

If other manufacturers follow it will put a strain on power companies and the coal industry. There isn't a limitless supply of coal. Iirc, the last coal estimate was taken back in the 70's and it was a 300 year supply. And that was at the 70's rate of consumption. I will have to double check this info. to make sure.</TD></TR></TABLE> Our supply of cheap coal will last a lot longer than our supply of cheap oil, and I don't think the power companies will be strained since most of these vehicles will be charged overnight when they have plenty of extra capacity. Just sayin'

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.