Looking for a TV - Page 2 - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a TV

Old 12-06-2018, 06:11 AM
C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS

Default Re: Looking for a TV

Originally Posted by 5SpdH22 View Post
refurbished
Old 12-06-2018, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought a refurb Vizio, I think it's an E32- I know, pleb TV, no care. Control board fritzes out sometimes and the UI doesn't show up on the screen. I mostly just use it as a cheap 1080p monitor for Hulu/Netflix/video games anyway. Works great for what I need and barely cost $150 a few years ago.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:34 AM
aka DaZman69!

Originally Posted by The GreenD16 View Post
refurb + warranty > new + no warranty
Old 12-06-2018, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

BF deals > after BF + after CM deals
Old 12-06-2018, 06:42 AM
Reborn_

I've had worse luck with my LG tv than my samsung. LG board had 4 bad capacitors that I replaced myself. Samsung has been bulletproof. Both are quite old at this point and very used. Brand is meaningless - it comes down to the model. Some models use shitty components and have more issues. I used to have brand loyalty with tv's, but no more. You still won't see me buying Hi Sense or TCL though
Old 12-06-2018, 06:42 AM
aka DaZman69!

Originally Posted by scelestus View Post
I bought a refurb Vizio, I think it's an E32- I know, pleb TV, no care. Control board fritzes out sometimes and the UI doesn't show up on the screen. I mostly just use it as a cheap 1080p monitor for Hulu/Netflix/video games anyway. Works great for what I need and barely cost $150 a few years ago.
next time you look at you TV, imagine buying 4 of them and putting them together in a big square. Mine is bigger then that. Whatup poor
Old 12-06-2018, 06:46 AM
something gnarly

^ lol

Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
Brand is meaningless - it comes down to the model.
Even then, it can still come down to luck. We had 3 of the exact same Samsung TVs all bought on the same day from the same place probably about 10 years ago now. 1 failed a few years in, and the other 2 are still kicking today as garage TVs.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:47 AM
Resident Hoser #1

Originally Posted by sflkgjsfndgn View Post

? This TV has better picture quality than hatches
No I'm just making jabs at both of you for wanting to buy inferior technology

I'd say personally if you cannot afford or do not want to buy something like an OLED tv which in today's technology standards has the best picture quality (low lifespan though) then I would try and source me a used Plasma tv with a low runtime.

This of course depends on how particular you are in terms of picture quality and black levels.

If you dont care then like I suggested before, I would just hit up a store and look at all of the tv's to see what YOU like better. We can't tell you what's better as we all have different brains, different eyes and different perspectives of what is "better".

Old 12-06-2018, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I do have a Vizio E-series (or P?) and it looks great. It's actually true HDR, and picture quality is good enough for what I use it for. (Gaming/ Movies)

I also have had an Emerson from a Walmart black Friday deal from years ago that lasted for quite awhile. TV brand is subjective.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:50 AM
Imgur Lives Matter

Originally Posted by 5SpdH22 View Post
^ lol

Even then, it can still come down to luck. We had 3 of the exact same Samsung TVs all bought on the same day from the same place probably about 10 years ago now. 1 failed a few years in, and the other 2 are still kicking today as garage TVs.
are you trying to tell me that production is not infallible?
Old 12-06-2018, 06:53 AM
something gnarly

in America it is
Old 12-06-2018, 07:05 AM
aka DaZman69!

Originally Posted by CAN97SH View Post
No I'm just making jabs at both of you for wanting to buy inferior technology

I'd say personally if you cannot afford or do not want to buy something like an OLED tv which in today's technology standards has the best picture quality (low lifespan though) then I would try and source me a used Plasma tv with a low runtime.

This of course depends on how particular you are in terms of picture quality and black levels.

If you dont care then like I suggested before, I would just hit up a store and look at all of the tv's to see what YOU like better. We can't tell you what's better as we all have different brains, different eyes and different perspectives of what is "better".
lol at an old 1080p plasma being better picture quality than this 4k TV with local dimming

Black are important, but they are not everything

yeah oled is great, it’s not a surprise that if you spend a **** ton of money you’re getting a better product

In fact, if I wanted to spend $2k on a TV, I still wouldn’t get oled. I’d get a nice 75 or 85 inch TV because screen real estate is more important than quality if you want an immersive experience, which is the entire point of buying bigger and higher quality TV’s.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:54 AM
Resident Hoser #1

lol at an old 1080p plasma being better picture quality than this 4k TV with local dimming

Black are important, but they are not everything

yeah oled is great, itís not a surprise that if you spend a **** ton of money youíre getting a better product

In fact, if I wanted to spend $2k on a TV, I still wouldnít get oled. Iíd get a nice 75 or 85 inch TV because screen real estate is more important than quality if you want an immersive experience, which is the entire point of buying bigger and higher quality TVís.
Plasma is a better technology than most of these **** LED 4K tv's. Resolution isnt everything, especially when its being displayed on a shitty technological media. But hey, who am I do say. If you enjoy the tv, whatever that may be then that's all that matters
Old 12-06-2018, 09:00 AM
Man U FTW

Had an LG 48" LED and it died after 3 years. We've had amazing luck with Vizio and have several (including a 55" plasma) that are pushing 10 years old.

We just bought a 65" LED 4k Samsung and I couldnt be happier...except that its $200 cheaper now

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...?skuId=6199828
Old 12-06-2018, 09:02 AM
aka DaZman69!

Plasma is a better technology than most of these **** LED 4K tv's. Resolution isnt everything, especially when its being displayed on a shitty technological media. But hey, who am I do say. If you enjoy the tv, whatever that may be then that's all that matters
i know all about plasma, youíve been misinformed.

High end plasma vs my TV

-Lights out movie time- plasma 10, my TV 9, and even in that situation my TV is better in several ways, but overall the high end plasma would get the edge.
-any time natural light or artificial light is in the room which is, Sporting events with buddies, watching the news, watching anything in the daylight, watching Tv shows, watching pretty much anything, aka 90% of the viewing - plasma 5, my TV 9

Plasma is about as useful as a projetor, but atleast with a projector its a 10ft ******* screen
Old 12-06-2018, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

next time you look at you TV, imagine buying 4 of them and putting them together in a big square. Mine is bigger then that. Whatup poor
Tiny living room in tiny apartment crew check in. 60-some inches would just look stupid in my space, and probably hurt my neck. I let my brother be that guy. Hell, my whole "entertainment system" cost like 500 bucks (and half of that's the turntable) and sounds good enough for me. More money for car parts and alcohol!
Old 12-06-2018, 09:05 AM
Imgur Lives Matter

Originally Posted by scelestus View Post
Tiny living room in tiny apartment crew check in. 60-some inches would just look stupid in my space, and probably hurt my neck. I let my brother be that guy. Hell, my whole "entertainment system" cost like 500 bucks (and half of that's the turntable) and sounds good enough for me. More money for car parts and alcohol!
Old 12-06-2018, 09:08 AM
aka DaZman69!

Originally Posted by Schister66 View Post
Had an LG 48" LED and it died after 3 years. We've had amazing luck with Vizio and have several (including a 55" plasma) that are pushing 10 years old.

We just bought a 65" LED 4k Samsung and I couldnt be happier...except that its $200 cheaper now

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...?skuId=6199828
just to let other people know how good the picture quality of the Tv iím recommending for $699, itís significantly better than the samsung nu8000

You have a much better operating system and smart features though. The TV Iím recommending is mostly about PQ/$.

Itís an amazing deal and everybody should get one if they are even considering a new Tv.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:08 AM
something gnarly

i bet some days he can just stand there and watch for hours

Old 12-06-2018, 09:17 AM
Resident Hoser #1

i know all about plasma, youíve been misinformed.

High end plasma vs my TV

-Lights out movie time- plasma 10, my TV 9, and even in that situation my TV is better in several ways, but overall the high end plasma would get the edge.
-any time natural light or artificial light is in the room which is, Sporting events with buddies, watching the news, watching anything in the daylight, watching Tv shows, watching pretty much anything, aka 90% of the viewing - plasma 5, my TV 9

Plasma is about as useful as a projetor, but atleast with a projector its a 10ft ******* screen
I have a plasma and yes there is glare due to having a glass screen but it's not that bad. It outweighs due to its overall superior picture quality imo. I love my movies, sports and video games and I don't black out my living room to watch
Old 12-06-2018, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just to let other people know how good the picture quality of the Tv iím recommending for $699, itís significantly better than the samsung nu8000
I was looking at that one and ended up getting the Sony xbr850F because it looked better.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:35 AM
aka DaZman69!

I have a plasma and yes there is glare due to having a glass screen but it's not that bad. It outweighs due to its overall superior picture quality imo. I love my movies, sports and video games and I don't black out my living room to watch
its not the glare, its the low light output

if the screen isnít bright enough itís only going to perform well in low light conditions. Itís the same reason why headlights do nothing in the daytime.

From PQ perspective, the only time plasma could possible excel and win any sort of comparison test is compete darkness. If your watching it with the lights on, just know that a modern 4k led will have better PQ.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:41 AM
Will you make something up for me please?

I just buy everything from Costco. They have a good warranty, and the credit card you purchase Costco electronics with give you another 2 years on top of that.

They generally have great prices and a pretty good selection. With home theater/soundbar options out there, it doesn't really even matter much what you pick. Same with Amazon Fire/Roku/Apple TV/ChromeCast.

I pick one that's big, has good specs, and priced well and bring it home.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

From research (thanks Google) and personal experience, LG makes THE BEST TV's.

Price is very fair for what you get as well.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:43 AM
Resident Hoser #1

its not the glare, its the low light output

if the screen isnít bright enough itís only going to perform well in low light conditions. Itís the same reason why headlights do nothing in the daytime.

From PQ perspective, the only time plasma could possible excel and win any sort of comparison test is compete darkness. If your watching it with the lights on, just know that a modern 4k led will have better PQ.
Ah yes I see what you are saying. That is for sure what one might consider an advantage over plasma. To me, imo the "realistic" aspect of the plasma vs other tv's is better as everything is less exaggerated. Obviously some tv's are worse than others at this and I do like how much color new, modern tv's produce over say my plasma but there are other factors such as overall quality of the image, color bleeding, black levels, contrast and other things that really turn me off of these new tv's....with the exception of OLED.

I'm not doubting your claims of this Visio tv. Their rating look pretty good.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.