lol Apple: That didn't take long :P - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.

lol Apple: That didn't take long :P

Old 09-23-2013, 06:28 AM   #1
0x5359-0055

Default lol Apple: That didn't take long :P

Hackers claim to have defeated Apple's Touch ID print sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Article Text
A day after the iPhone 5S hit the streets, a group of hackers in Germany said they have bypassed the biometric security on Apple's new Touch ID fingerprint sensor by using "easy everyday means."

The Chaos Computer Club announced late Saturday that it defeated the security system by photographing an iPhone user's fingerprint from a glass surface and using that captured image to verify the user's login credentials. The Touch ID sensor, which resides under the home button of the iPhone 5S, can replace the four-digit passcode to unlock the handset and authorize iTunes Store purchases.

"This demonstrates -- again -- that fingerprint biometrics is unsuitable as access control method and should be avoided," the group wrote in a blog post detailing its bypass:

First, the fingerprint of the enrolled user is photographed with 2400 dpi resolution. The resulting image is then cleaned up, inverted and laser printed with 1200 dpi onto transparent sheet with a thick toner setting. Finally, pink latex milk or white woodglue is smeared into the pattern created by the toner onto the transparent sheet. After it cures, the thin latex sheet is lifted from the sheet, breathed on to make it a tiny bit moist and then placed onto the sensor to unlock the phone. This process has been used with minor refinements and variations against the vast majority of fingerprint sensors on the market.

"We hope that this finally puts to rest the illusions people have about fingerprint biometrics," Chaos Computer Club spokesperson Frank Rieger said in a statement. "It is plain stupid to use something that you can't change and that you leave everywhere every day as a security token."

That blunt assessment echoes the critique of iPhone 5S security put forth by US Sen. Al Franken. "If someone hacks your password, you can change it -- as many times as you want. You can't change your fingerprints. ... And you leave them on everything you touch; they are definitely not a secret," the Minnesota Democrat wrote, in part, in a letter to Apple CEO Tim Cook dated Thursday. "Let me put it this way: if hackers get a hold of your thumbprint, they could use it to identify and impersonate you for the rest of your life."

The Touch ID system isn't a pure replacement for the more traditional passcode. "If you restart your iPhone, or turn it off and on, or don't use it for 48 hours, it'll ask for your passcode again before allowing fingerprint recognition," Scott Stein wrote in CNET's review of the iPhone 5S. That's potentially useful as an extra deterrent for would-be fingerprint thieves, but it proved a little quirky over a week of use. I never knew when the 5S might insist I enter my passcode again."

CNET has contacted Apple for comment and will update this report when we learn more.

It wasn't immediately clear if the group would lay claim to a bounty of more than $16,000 that is being offered to the first person who could hack the fingerprint sensor. IsTouchIDhackedyet.com -- the brainchild of independent security researcher Nick DePetrillo -- said on its Web site that it was waiting for the group to upload video of the process before declaring the Chaos Computer Club the winner.

In addition to cash, the winner has been promised a free application from CipherLaw to patent the hack; several bottles of alcohol including Laphroaig, Maker's Mark, Argentine wine, Patron Silver, and Bulleit bourbon; a "dirty sex book," and an iPhone 5C.
213374U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:30 AM   #2
washuuu

Default Re: lol Apple: That didn't take long :P

I have this problem where I always gawk at people's phones when they type in/swipe their password.
mistersparco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:39 AM   #3
I like to party

2LEM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:40 AM   #4
0x5359-0055

^ lol

I know that you're probably one of the few people here who knew that simply because Apple implemented biometrics, didn't mean it would actually work
Old 09-23-2013, 06:42 AM   #5
816d16 owes me money!

BULLSHIT....IT HAZ DAT SUBEPIDERMAL SCANNING TECHNOLOGIEZ DOE!!!

I ******* called that **** the DAY they announced it.
usdm420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:42 AM   #6
I like to party

These are always the threads where I get just blasted by Crawdad and Danny. I don't even have to say anything, because they KNOW I'm rolling on my end. As soon as I post it's on, watch.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:42 AM   #7
Don't believe the rumors

BREAKING NEWS: hackers claim to have discovered a way to fool the standard unlock code found on most smartphones. The trick? Watching the owner input the code, and then spoofing it with their own entry.

Call me when they can lift a print off the phone itself and then use that print to unlock the phone. Actually don't call me because I still won't give a ****.
crawdad689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:43 AM   #8
Almighty Prognosticator

Chaos Computer Club? Sounds like a bunch of 12 year olds staying after school in the computer lab to play WoW or Farmville.

Chief Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:45 AM   #9
Don't believe the rumors

If only the system was as foolproof as Samsung's revolutionary implementation of using the front camera to detect your face. Oh wait, all you had to do to hack that was bring up someone's Facebook profile pic on another phone and point yet at the Samsung's front-facing camera.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:45 AM   #10
816d16 owes me money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LEM1 View Post
These are always the threads where I get just blasted by Crawdad and Danny. I don't even have to say anything, because they KNOW I'm rolling on my end. As soon as I post it's on, watch.
I ******* told Craw the DAY they brought this **** up....and he came back with some dumbass Apple lingo for their "bio technology"...oh the lulz
Old 09-23-2013, 06:46 AM   #11
0x5359-0055

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad689 View Post
Call me when they can lift a print off the phone itself and then use that print to unlock the phone. Actually don't call me because I still won't give a ****.

THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT THEY DID!!!
Old 09-23-2013, 06:50 AM   #12
Honda-Tech Gold Member

So lemme get this straight, they copied, reproduced, duplicated, and replicated a finger print and it unlocked the phone???!! I'm shocked!

Next they're gonna say, "Watch out! Someone can cutoff your finger and use it to unlock your 5s."
ScareyH22A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:56 AM   #13
816d16 owes me money!

Uhhhh yeah, except they don't need to cut your finger off. Did you see the prints all over that dude's screen even? He can just pull on of those and be set.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:58 AM   #14
Honda-Tech Member

My only concern is that a chick might pull my hand to my phone while I'm sleeping... to unlock with thumbprint...
Black R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:04 AM   #15
H-T Poker champion

So all you need is a close up super high res photo of the person's fingerprint? Seems like a GIANT SECURITY RISK! Not.

I say this hating the iphone and most apple products.
Hatchy-Ownzjo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:09 AM   #16
Honda-Tech Member

i guess that using fingerprints to unlock a device that is routinely covered with fingerprints is maybe not such a great idea after all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rota92
I've had a finger print reader on my laptop since 2008. Never set it up, and never plan to.
i use mine to unlock my laptop and nothing else.

use it to store passwords?
vegasbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:12 AM   #17
I like to party

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasbuckeye View Post
i guess that using fingerprints to unlock a device that is routinely covered with fingerprints is maybe not such a great idea after all...
^ This

At least with Android they need to have a high res picture of you before hand... then they need to edit it in photoshop and paint over your eyes, then they print out another pic with the eyes painted over, then they need to somehow flash both pictures intermittently in front of the Android camera. I'm not saying it can't be done... but if I lose my phone and someone goes through all that trouble, **** it, they can have it.

Iphone5S needs a fingerprint you left on the phone earlier today.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:15 AM   #18
Do you even red wheels?

HO LEE ****!

Someone is going to be able to unlock my phone and look at my noodz!!!!11!!11!!!1
ForceFed Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:24 AM   #19
He knows where you live!

Quote:
BREAKING NEWS: hackers claim to have discovered a way to fool the standard unlock code found on most smartphones. The trick? Watching the owner input the code, and then spoofing it with their own entry.

I don't need to watch you use your fingerprint though....I can pull your fingerprint from anywhere and use it with the phone.

It's a gimmicky thing, people fell for it, like all other Apple event "breakthroughs", and it's been proven to be a gimmick. The sad part is they claimed it would revolutionize security of the devices and clearly it won't.
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:27 AM   #20
Honda-Tech Member

guy on the video need steady hand.

lol at people who waited on the line for new Iphone.
__oversea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:27 AM   #21
Don't believe the rumors

Is a standard security unlock screen a gimmick?
Old 09-23-2013, 07:30 AM   #22
I like to party

Anything can be hacked if that's what you're getting at. Anyone with a brain knows that.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:31 AM   #23
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Is a standard security unlock screen a gimmick?
1/1000 shot you get it the first time... so...
vegasbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:31 AM   #24
Honda-Tech Member

I just use swipe screen lock on phone.
__oversea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:32 AM   #25
Imperious: Mod of Valor

ITT: Apple fanboys defend their product to the grave.

I think both platforms are great. Currently using an S2, but will get a 5S when I can upgrade. But lol, just LOL at people who think anything computer related is hack proof.
JDM-EJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote