Latinos with 4 names - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion


General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.

Latinos with 4 names

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-08-2017, 06:32 PM   #1
Member
Thread Starter
 
GoLowDrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: East Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 88,614
Default Latinos with 4 names

First, back in the old days, there was only one last name, Susan Smith. Then women decided to be independent, and choose the hyphenated last name. Susan Johnston-Smith. Then women decided to have kids without marriage, or the guy was just a donor at the night club. And boys started to have hyphenated last names. Richard Grace-Mullen. His last name is "Grace-Mullen." His daughter is Jenna Grace-Mullen. Jenna's middle name is Ruth. Jenna Ruth Grace-Mullen.

How will Jenna deal with taking her husband's (Tavo Martinez) name? Maybe that's a thread by itself.

I've been noticing more and more Latino's with 4 names right out of the box. I recall hearing about some sort of structure with Latino names. It's not just married names or hyphenated names. It's a culture or ethnic thing.

Eva Marie Lopez Martinez

Educate me. How does Latino name structure work?
Attached Images
 
GoLowDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:37 PM   #2
KILLAB17VTEC
 
acmoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,772
Default Re: Latinos with 4 names

Shiieet I don't even know
I've always hated my name, it's friggin exhausting to write. So is my address. I basically already wrote an essay after filling out those parts on any form,.
acmoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:44 PM   #3
-Intl Steve Krew
 
Caoboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Central Valley, CA
Posts: 3,934
Default Re: Latinos with 4 names

​​​​
  • In Hispanic tradition, double surnames are the norm, and not an indication of social status. A person will take the (first) surname of their father, followed by the (first) surname of their mother (i.e. their maternal grandfather's surname). The double surname itself is not heritable. These names are combined without hyphen (but optionally combined using y "and"). In addition to this, there are heritable double surnames (apellidos compuestos) which are combined with a hyphen.
Caoboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:20 PM   #4
Bloody Beaver
 
.Beaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The Keweenaw
Posts: 16,568
Default Re: Latinos with 4 names

Thread topic never seen from GLD:
How does Google work?
.Beaver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:27 PM   #5
KILLAB17VTEC
 
acmoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,772
Default Re: Latinos with 4 names

My name is nothing like that and none of that applies to me. Also, my parents separated so I never inherited my fathers surname, but he would always write it down, as he was the one who typically enrolled me in school. It wasn't until I graduated that I began working that I realized this. It was a huge mess. Basically there was no record of immunizations, school or anything. Because for 18 years I was acmoc (father surname), but really I was acmoc (mother surname)

I also know a girl(Mexican) that only has a first and last name, her family didn't give her a middle and no double last name. I think Mexicans are pretty loosey goosey with this stuff.
acmoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:12 AM   #6
-Intl Steve Krew
 
Caoboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Central Valley, CA
Posts: 3,934
Default Re: Latinos with 4 names

So if your parents had the same last name, that basically makes you a child of incest. Now I get it!
Caoboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:14 AM   #7
Honda-Tech Member
 
tony_2018's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 10,102
Default Re: Latinos with 4 names

only in mehico
tony_2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 04:54 AM   #8
No Big Whoop
 
Spaceballsthelunchbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: A little closer to the Ecuator
Posts: 2,096
Default Re: Latinos with 4 names

Hispanic names are divided into your name(s) "nombre" and your last names "apellidos"

Typically Hispanics use 2 first names, and then the last names. First the father's last name and then the mother's last name. This applies for men and unmarried women.

When a woman gets married, she drops her mother's last name and uses her husband's first last name with a "de" in front of it. This is traditional and it is changing, some women do it and some don't.

So for men: Carlos Fernando would be the two first names and then Ramirez ( Father's first last name) Ozorio (Mother's first last name)
For women Carmen Lucia would be the first two names and then Ramirez ( Father's first last name) Ozorio (Mother's first last name)

When she gets married, her name would be: Carmen Lucia Ramirez de Ocampo ( her husban's first last name)

The two last names are always used to reduce the possibility of mistaken identity. I have cousins with 6 names, the parents got cute and gave the kid 4 first names, but the last names (apellidos) are always just 2.
Spaceballsthelunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:08 AM   #9
Down Since Day 1
 
1 point 6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The 480
Posts: 5,872
Default Re: Latinos with 4 names

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Beaver View Post
Thread topic never seen from GLD:
How does Google work?
LMGTFY
1 point 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:51 AM   #10
Grandpa
 
George Knighton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Siege Perilous
Posts: 94,696
Default Re: Latinos with 4 names

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLowDrew View Post
I've been noticing more and more Latino's with 4 names right out of the box. I recall hearing about some sort of structure with Latino names. It's not just married names or hyphenated names. It's a culture or ethnic thing.

Eva Marie Lopez Martinez

Educate me. How does Latino name structure work?
In this case, the father's last name is Lopez and the mother's maiden name is Martinez.

Where people go wrong is that they try to adhere to English ways of doing things in order to immigrate and match what's normal in the United States and other English places.

So the person will decide that he or she is Lopez, as it is the custom to use the paternal surname.

Then everything gets all weird years later when they realize that we do not really care what they call themselves.

So they try to be "Lopez Martinez" or "Lopez-Martinez," but by this time there is too much documentation produced that says "Lopez," so there is documentary hell to pay until SSA and HS get it sorted.

Another way it goes wrong is that the immigrant presents as "Lopez Martinez" ahead of final documentation, and an employer believes that Martinez is the surname.

Then the permanent documentation concludes and there's a new kind of hell when eVerify kicks the person out of employment because the real surname is Lopez.

We either ourselves need to be more adaptable about this now that there are so very many Hispanics around, or the immigrants need to realize that they should adhere to the English standard and just drop the maiden surname.

Either one is fine with me.

As long as we get it straight. :-)

To be honest, I think that immigration services ought to alert newly arrived Hispanic immigrants looking for legal status that this is going to be a problem, and they need to decide right when they're coming into the country which way they want to do it.
George Knighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:53 AM   #11
Grandpa
 
George Knighton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Siege Perilous
Posts: 94,696
Default Re: Latinos with 4 names

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceballsthelunchbox View Post
Hispanic names are divided into your name(s) "nombre" and your last names "apellidos"

Typically Hispanics use 2 first names, and then the last names. First the father's last name and then the mother's last name. This applies for men and unmarried women.

When a woman gets married, she drops her mother's last name and uses her husband's first last name with a "de" in front of it. This is traditional and it is changing, some women do it and some don't.

So for men: Carlos Fernando would be the two first names and then Ramirez ( Father's first last name) Ozorio (Mother's first last name)
For women Carmen Lucia would be the first two names and then Ramirez ( Father's first last name) Ozorio (Mother's first last name)

When she gets married, her name would be: Carmen Lucia Ramirez de Ocampo ( her husban's first last name)

The two last names are always used to reduce the possibility of mistaken identity. I have cousins with 6 names, the parents got cute and gave the kid 4 first names, but the last names (apellidos) are always just 2.
And I thought my family was weird. :-)

If you have a moment, look at my post above and see if I got anything wrong.

The use of "de" the way that you described it is something that English speaking people *really* would have to get used to, because on the face of it, it will seem to be a presumption for someone not listed in the Gotha.

In our traditions, you are not "of" (von) a place English unless you are a peer. You are not "to" (zu) a place unless you are in the line of sovereign succession of a place in Germany, Denmark, Norway, etc.
George Knighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 06:03 AM   #12
Bart Taylor Look-alike
 
Rad Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Im gonna walk HellTrack, So Cal
Posts: 663
Default Re: Latinos with 4 names

One of my favorite student names to say all-time = Jaime Lopez-Lopez.
Rad Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 06:54 AM   #13
Master Ninja
 
Eddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,953
Default Re: Latinos with 4 names

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caoboy View Post
​​​​
  • In Hispanic tradition, double surnames are the norm, and not an indication of social status. A person will take the (first) surname of their father, followed by the (first) surname of their mother (i.e. their maternal grandfather's surname). The double surname itself is not heritable. These names are combined without hyphen (but optionally combined using y "and"). In addition to this, there are heritable double surnames (apellidos compuestos) which are combined with a hyphen.
Latino checking in. The top is true but its mostly old school latinos who do this to there kids.
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:34 AM   #14
No Big Whoop
 
Spaceballsthelunchbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: A little closer to the Ecuator
Posts: 2,096
Default Re: Latinos with 4 names

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Knighton View Post
And I thought my family was weird. :-)

If you have a moment, look at my post above and see if I got anything wrong.

The use of "de" the way that you described it is something that English speaking people *really* would have to get used to, because on the face of it, it will seem to be a presumption for someone not listed in the Gotha.

In our traditions, you are not "of" (von) a place English unless you are a peer. You are not "to" (zu) a place unless you are in the line of sovereign succession of a place in Germany, Denmark, Norway, etc.
I don't think you got anything wrong. The way I described it, is the traditional "in country" way of names. Once you leave your native country and you have to adapt your name to the host's country way of doing it, you end up with all sorts of ways to do it because there isn't a standard rule for it.

In Hispanic countries women do not lose their maiden name when they get married. Instead they drop the last surname ( Mother's last name) and use the "de" followed by her husband's last name. The "de" in this case means literally belonging to, something modern Hispanic women are not too comfortable with. Honestly I don't know 100% how that works today, this is 30 year old info.
Spaceballsthelunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:36 AM   #15
rookn00b
iTrader: (2)
 
xtrac1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,633
Default Re: Latinos with 4 names

Ayrton Senna da Silva.
xtrac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:09 PM   #16
Member
Thread Starter
 
GoLowDrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: East Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 88,614
Default Re: Latinos with 4 names

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Beaver View Post
Thread topic never seen from GLD:
How does Google work?
I was once 10 feet away from Jerry Yang, and his 911. So I prefer the search engine from Yahoo.
GoLowDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:11 PM   #17
Member
Thread Starter
 
GoLowDrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: East Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 88,614
Default Re: Latinos with 4 names

Thanks for the education on Latino names. Legit question. Does it make it hard to search using websites such as ancestry.com? I'm sure the database is based on "English ways."
GoLowDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:00 PM   #18
KILLAB17VTEC
 
acmoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,772
Default Re: Latinos with 4 names

How come Korean people all have like the same of like 5 last names.

Why do some blacks have last name "White"? And some whites have Balck or brown?

Some Spanish(Spain surnames) are odd as they translate to singer or accountant or seamstress or tailor.
Than Japanese translations or like moon, snow, or tree child, flower child

Then Millenials give dumbass names like apple, hashtag, and Steve.
acmoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:19 PM   #19
No Big Whoop
 
Spaceballsthelunchbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: A little closer to the Ecuator
Posts: 2,096
Default Re: Latinos with 4 names

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrac1 View Post
Ayrton Senna da Silva.
Technically not Hispanic/Latino. He was from Brazil they speak Portuguese and actually get pissed when you call them "Hispanic"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLowDrew View Post
Thanks for the education on Latino names. Legit question. Does it make it hard to search using websites such as ancestry.com? I'm sure the database is based on "English ways."
I could not answer that question, I have never searched on that website. For the most part, South American countries did not see the influx of immigrants the US has seen. Most of the people there know who their ancestors are and where they come from... typically from the very own city they live in. Of course there are exceptions, I am one of them as my Father's family came from Italy from the Puglia region of Italy.
Spaceballsthelunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:29 PM   #20
GDD Member
iTrader: (1)
 
slomofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: SL,UT
Posts: 235
Default Re: Latinos with 4 names

I've noticed that drybacks usually have one last name whereas the wet ones will double it up.
slomofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:15 PM   #21
Honda-Tech Member
 
DaIll1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 68
Default Re: Latinos with 4 names

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLowDrew View Post
Thanks for the education on Latino names. Legit question. Does it make it hard to search using websites such as ancestry.com? I'm sure the database is based on "English ways."
When I joined the USN, they told me, "Pick three, that's all you get".
DaIll1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:44 AM   #22
O.G. triple O.G.
 
NVturbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Noeth Cacolac, USA
Posts: 3,891
Default Re: Latinos with 4 names

Quote:
Originally Posted by acmoc View Post
How come Korean people all have like the same of like 5 last names.

Why do some blacks have last name "White"? And some whites have Balck or brown?

Some Spanish(Spain surnames) are odd as they translate to singer or accountant or seamstress or tailor.
Than Japanese translations or like moon, snow, or tree child, flower child

Then Millenials give dumbass names like apple, hashtag, and Steve.
In 6th grade, my homeroom teacher's name was Ms.Green. She married someone and changed her name to Mrs.Brown. No lie....
NVturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:09 AM   #23
No Big Whoop
 
Spaceballsthelunchbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: A little closer to the Ecuator
Posts: 2,096
Default Re: Latinos with 4 names

I worked with a middle Eastern guy name Oh no Hussein. He was being asked if he had more names or last names, I can't recall exactly but he kept saying Oh no Hussein. so they put Oh No as his name and Hussein as his last no **** I saw the driver's license.

I remember now., His name was Hussein Hussein and they kept asking if hose were his last names or first names...

Last edited by Spaceballsthelunchbox; 12-11-2017 at 07:01 AM.
Spaceballsthelunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:08 AM   #24
KILLAB17VTEC
 
acmoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,772
Default Re: Latinos with 4 names

ONe of our high school teachers was last name lose.
I was the kid who delivered the slips to the classrooms because I could not take regular P.E. classes.
I had heard rumors and kids laughing of a teacher because she was named Loose.
So one time I got a slip for her, and I'm looking at the name and I'm like, damn, it really is loose, lol.

But whatever. I hand her the slip and with an honest straight face. Say "Mrs. loose"

She snaps the paper from my hand, gives me the stink eye and grunts "Its pronounced Lows."
I was like wtf bitch okay . "It's spells out Loose"

She quit later.

Friggin snowflake


I also had a teacher that kept having her last name changed, turns out she just kept having failed marriages. She was a total bitch. So I was like goodcat.jpg


I remember one teacher I had with the meanest last name ever, Mrs. Mcginnity, and she was mean. But she was my favorite. She was literally time traveled from the 1800's or something, didn't take any ****. And one could learn/concentrate in her class.
acmoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:12 AM   #25
O.G. triple O.G.
 
NVturbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Noeth Cacolac, USA
Posts: 3,891
Default Re: Latinos with 4 names

In that middle school, I had some weird *** teachers with not so typical last names. My 7th grade science teacher's name was Mr.Koch. He wanted everyone to pronounce it as "COOK".
NVturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hi all, own 98 Honda Accord Ex V6 Coupe jennarose Introduce Yourself 2 08-24-2017 09:27 AM
Decision- BEST VANITY PLATES For my Si ...In YOUR humble opinion! WyldRice Honda / Acura 81 07-27-2017 02:50 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:11 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.