Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Laptop based around what we do..

Old 01-05-2008, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laptop based around what we do..

I've been out of the computer game for a few years now, and with the quad core, dual SLi, crossfire, 16gb ram.. well, I've just stopped caring.. so what I want to know, from a few of you on here, what to look for in a laptop to do photo editing on.

An external hard drive will be used when the photo's are done being worked on / ripped off the camera etc, and if I have to upgrade the memory later on, that's easy to do as well.. I'd like to watch DVD's on the thing to boot - but burning them isn't important. Blu-ray/HD DVD also isn't important.

So my request goes to you, H-T, to help me find a laptop! I have a few requirements.

:: Under $1500 after tax, I'm Canadian - but will go to 1500 us.
:: at LEAST 80gb hdd.
:: Enough RAM to handle Lightroom / CS2 or 3, so more than 1gb.
:: DVD drive
:: At least 14" screen, but under 17".
:: Good battery life.
:: I'd LIKE AMD powered, but will go Intel on the right one.
:: I'm not afraid of MAC, but would prefer XP based, I'm aware that's difficult, and I would be willing to downgrade to XP (so Dell's are allowed, as I believe they let you do that on ordering.)
:: I HATE Vista, but may settle.

Anyone have idea's? was thinking Sony VAIO's, Toshiba Satellites, and Acer Aspires.. Even Dell XPS's but they get a bit pricey.. Anything else I should check out?

Thanks !
Old 01-05-2008, 10:52 PM

I am running all my editing on a 3 year old HP laptop. It's a P4 1.8, with 512MB RAM and a 60GB drive. I'm running CS2 and editing full size (6.3mp) Photos without problem. Even the cheapest laptop you can get today should be able to outperform this.

So... in the lowend laptops being 500-800~ Most of them are going to be 15.4" screens, 60~80GB HDD, DVD/CD-RW, 512~1GB RAM. The biggest differences will be in the processors. You will go from a single core celeron to core 2 duos. You will also find AMD's, my current opinion on processors is to spend a few extra bucks and go with the Intel's. The core 2's outperform the X2's and for not much more money. 512 Ram is acceptable to run photoshop but 1GB is preffered. Also it's giong to be hard to find a cheaper laptop that has a highres screen, in the low price the standard 15.4" screen is going to be 1280x800. I lucked out and mine happens to be a highend laptop and it has a 1680x1050 15.4" screen.

Moving on to brands, any of your name brands are going to be pretty decent with performance. They are all competeing so you will find similar hardware and customer service. I personally like HP, and my company is the biggest HP authorized dealer and servicer in the NW. I've dealt with customer service quite a bit and am pretty pleased with them. Just food for thought. I've also been happy with the quality I've seen from the Sony VIAO's.

I realize you said 1500 budget so I figured I'd start from the low and go up, because the more you pay the better things get. Here is great option for you. 1200 bones gets you http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc....html

It meats all your requirments and then some. The proc is only a core2 1.8, but you can pay a few extra bones and get up to a 2.2ghz. It comes with vista business because it's HP's business line, but you can always manually downgrade. 90% of manufacturers are shipping with Vista now The cool thing about the HP business laptops is most of them come with alloy screen casings to help protect the monitor from damage.

HP also has good extended warranties, like a 1 year accidental damage warranty. Say you accidently drop your laptop 40ft into a puddle of water... well it's covered (don't take my word for that, read the agreement)

Well that was quite long, hope at least some of it helped you.

Good luck with your search
Old 01-05-2008, 11:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Make sure the backlight is strong. I dont edit on my laptop because the backlight is weak, providing inaccurate colors and not very much detail.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:25 PM

So I got to steppin' and put a few configurations together..

Dell Inspiron 1501 : Now $778.57 after tax/shipping.
PROCESSOR AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-58 (1.9GHz/1MB)
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic
LCD DISPLAY 15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA Display with TrueLife™
MEMORY 1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz, 2 Dimm
HARD DRIVE 160GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
GRAPHICS CARD ATI RADEON® Xpress1150 with 256MB HyperMemory™
OPTICAL DRIVE 8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
WIRELESS CARD Dell Wireless 1490 802.11a/g Mini Card (54Mbps)
BATTERY OPTIONS 85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
SOUND OPTIONS Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy™ HD Software Edition

Nothing else comes similar in price for performance.. I've had a lot of bad experiences with HP and wouldn't trust them, same with Compaq..
Old 01-05-2008, 11:26 PM

Default Re: (AGENT 99)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AGENT 99 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Make sure the backlight is strong. I dont edit on my laptop because the backlight is weak, providing inaccurate colors and not very much detail.</TD></TR></TABLE>

... How do I measure that ?
Old 01-05-2008, 11:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ex1z7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ex1z7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

... How do I measure that ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, lets see. Can you see your screen outside in the sunlight? If its a really strong, bright screen, you should be okay...even though I wouldn't. I just prefer to use my desktops 22in wide viewsonic thats been color calibrated.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:01 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ex1z7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So I got to steppin' and put a few configurations together..

Dell Inspiron 1501 : Now $778.57 after tax/shipping.
PROCESSOR AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-58 (1.9GHz/1MB)
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic
LCD DISPLAY 15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA Display with TrueLife™
MEMORY 1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz, 2 Dimm
HARD DRIVE 160GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
GRAPHICS CARD ATI RADEON® Xpress1150 with 256MB HyperMemory™
OPTICAL DRIVE 8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
WIRELESS CARD Dell Wireless 1490 802.11a/g Mini Card (54Mbps)
BATTERY OPTIONS 85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
SOUND OPTIONS Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy™ HD Software Edition

Nothing else comes similar in price for performance.. I've had a lot of bad experiences with HP and wouldn't trust them, same with Compaq..
</TD></TR></TABLE>

not bad, good find. Not sure about the experiences with HP but everyone has their good stories and everyone has their bad. Just go with someone YOU trust
Old 01-06-2008, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

config the computer with as little ram as possible (yes, i know what i said). you can go to newegg after and buy 2gb of it for like $40

note: your 1GB is in the form of 2x512mb. should you choose to visit newegg, but two modules of 1GB
Old 01-06-2008, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (awang)

http://store.apple.com/1-800-M...cBook

Hands down the best for what we do.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

While the MacBooks do have nice performance, they are, imo, very overpriced. You can config a dell for much less
Old 01-06-2008, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

MACBOOK

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by just Touge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://store.apple.com/1-800-M...cBook

Hands down the best for what we do.</TD></TR></TABLE>

im shocked that this was not the first answer thing that popped up.

we have both macs and normal pc's in the house and nothing compares to the performance and programs that a mac has for media and editing

they run so much faster and never crash like dells do and other windows based OS's. true they cost a lil more about 1300 for a small 13 macbook but believe me its worth it. also runs so much smoother and faster.

and backlight is great on macs because they use led's

looks nice too!
Old 01-06-2008, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (booja)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by booja &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">MACBOOK
they run so much faster and never crash like dells do and other windows based OS's. true they cost a lil more about 1300 for a small 13 macbook but believe me its worth it. also runs so much smoother and faster.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

windows vista has been nothing but stable for me. macbooks weren't the first mentioned, because not all people think highly of them.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (booja)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by booja &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">MACBOOK PRO</TD></TR></TABLE>
Fixed it for you. I just bought my MBP and couldnt be happier. It does run a lot smoother than any PCs i've owned or built, and no virus' While they are a bit on the expensive side i rather pay extra and not have to worry about my **** crashing and losing all my files.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dngerzone2)

I vote for a Mac. I can't stand Windoze.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:42 AM
Schumacher '10 WDC

Default Re: (Dngerzone2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dngerzone2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Fixed it for you. I just bought my MBP and couldnt be happier. It does run a lot smoother than any PCs i've owned or built, and no virus' While they are a bit on the expensive side i rather pay extra and not have to worry about my **** crashing and losing all my files.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually there are viruses for Apple computers too.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tadehi)

Windows gets such a bad rep from users who don't know what they're doing and Mac fanboys who still hold onto everything that was wrong with Windows 95 as an excuse not to use one.

I, personally, would never buy a Mac desktop computer. Too overpriced, limited upgrades, and I just don't prefer to be limited to what I'm going to use on my computer, and no.. Mac does not have an alternative to everything. I suggest a Mac for any moron who doesn't know how to turn on his own computer - these are the people downloading crap, installing third party crap drivers, and getting blue screens of death left and right and then complaining about Windows being the problem.

With that being said, I still feel the Mac Book Pros are the best laptop for the money, expensive or not the build quality is unmatched. If Photoshop is your thing, get one.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:27 PM

Default Re: (AGENT 99)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AGENT 99 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Make sure the backlight is strong. I dont edit on my laptop because the backlight is weak, providing inaccurate colors and not very much detail.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i couldnt agree more! i used my laptop for a year, i finally upgraded to a monitor setup, i now see what ive been missing!

well lit screen is a must!
Old 01-06-2008, 07:44 PM

Default Re: (Ventolin)

You can also install XP or Vista on a MBP and it is said to be as stable if not more than a standard PC. It's definately worth the money, but the OP did state that it wasn't his first choice, based on the OS. Could be worth it with XP insatlled
Old 01-06-2008, 08:00 PM

I honestly don't care much about the OS, it can run Linux for all I care, I just want Photoshop and Lightroom to work on it, and have NO problems with my pictures directly ripped off the camera.. I don't want any file format weirdness.

Mac's would work, but I heard their screens suck ***** for photo's ?
Old 01-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Photography Pundit

I currently run on a Dell Inspiron E1405, and so far I have very little complaint.
There have been some crazy deals lately, and with your budget, you shouldn't have a problem getting a great laptop for editing.

Keep an eye on bensbargains.net and other sale trcking sites for better deals, but I just built these two systems on Dell's site:

Not the best processors (read: not quad core or your AMD preference), but plenty of ram for basic editing and a little better HD's than average.
The top one has Windows XP, and both come with Photoshop Elements (meh).

I saw an XPS laptop last week that did have a quad core processor with an 8mb cache and a 1066 fsb and it was actually cheaper than the one above, so the deals do come along.
I also saw what looked like excellent cheaper options at bestbuy, officemax, and walmart (of all places) when I was looking through the paper today.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JakeB.)

Intel released quad core mobile processors? I had no idea.

I'd avoid AMD powered machines if possible, clock per clock they are slower and use more energy.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Photography Pundit

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ventolin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Intel released quad core mobile processors? I had no idea.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I couldn't find it tonight, but I swear I saw it on Thursday...
Old 01-06-2008, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JakeB.)

They're planning to release a series of quadcore mobile chips in quarter two of this year, I know
Old 01-06-2008, 11:05 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ventolin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Intel released quad core mobile processors? I had no idea.

I'd avoid AMD powered machines if possible, clock per clock they are slower and use more energy.</TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.intel.com/products/...x.htm

http://www.apple.com/macpro/ : 8 core or quad core.

And I've been running AMD for almost 5 years overclocked now, and only now is it starting to burn out, from what I understand anyways.. Maybe someone can help me with this, too.. I'm wondering why my system is dying ever so slowly.

AMD XP 2800+ @ 2.3ghz
Mushkin Dual Channel ram, PC 3200, 2x512
A7n8x-x Asus board
7600 GS OC 512 AGP video card
3 80mm fans, 1 120mm fan
Zalmann AlCu flower heatsink/fan (cpu)
Seagate 80gb
Seagate 160gb
xp pro sp3
420w PSU

Average 23 processors running, ~10% CPU power usage.. but opening a picture to VIEW off my second harddrive sometimes freezes/crashes for no reason, transfering files takes forever sometimes.. and it's just slowed down more than I'd appreciate.

Processor burning out.. or.. what do you think?
Old 01-07-2008, 01:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ex1z7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://www.intel.com/products/...x.htm

http://www.apple.com/macpro/ : 8 core or quad core.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, but those are desktop processors, I meant mobile processors

I used to overclock with AMD, too. I'm currently runnng a Core2Duo 1.8ghz processor clocked at 3.2ghz. They're insane. Runs cool, too.

What you've mentioned sounds like a problem with your drive more than anything. Crashing and going slow when transferring files. Got a spare you can test, and see if things get any better?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.