Inverse Austinkli thread: you are the candidate - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Community Forums > General Discussion and Debate
Reload this Page > Inverse Austinkli thread: you are the candidate
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.

Inverse Austinkli thread: you are the candidate

Old 04-16-2018, 10:41 AM
Oracle of GDD

Default Inverse Austinkli thread: you are the candidate

So I got a recruitment email last week for a really good position. It's "dream come true" stuff--full benefits (I'm a FT hourly contractor now), yuge pay increase, room to grow in a new department, short commute, reputable company.

I responded professionally/promptly to the recruiter and applied for the position on Friday. I expect to hear something this week and they are looking to fill in the next 4-6 weeks.

My big concern is, at what point in the process does my current employer deserve a heads-up? I absolutely love working there and the people are amazing. I don't want to jam them up at all scheduling/workflow-wise, and I also want to prepare them to be contacted as references.

The conventional wisdom from friends and family seems to be that I shouldn't say anything, at all, until I've secured a formal offer for the new job. Obviously that is logical since in case it doesn't work out, you don't want to be stuck at the old job having tried to jump ship. Is there a way to thread the needle that I haven't thought of?
Old 04-16-2018, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Inverse Austinkli thread: you are the candidate

Typically a company will offer you a job and THEN contact previous employers. I would wait to ensure you've been offered the job and then let them know, especially if your current employer may be seen as a competitor of any sorts.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:44 AM
Imgur Lives Matter

Old 04-16-2018, 10:49 AM
eight equals equals equals D

you dont say **** until you have a job offer. THEN you tell them and see if they will make a counter offer.

You start talking big now, then they know you're trying to leave and could start looking for your replacement.

Why do you want to tell your current employer that you're looking for new job?
Old 04-16-2018, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Those friends are right, don't say a damn **** word until you've signed an offer letter from other company/

Tell them you are looking and you could be out on your butt or they could be petty and make daily work awful!
Old 04-16-2018, 10:57 AM
Drunk Wagon Pilot

Rule #1: don't burn bridges

Don't say **** until you have the other job basically guaranteed then tell them your plans and see if they can counter your new job's offerings
Old 04-16-2018, 10:58 AM
aka DaZman69!

Wife signed a job offer (nurse practitioner) contract a few months ago to run a soon to be built urgent care facility.

Welp, something happened and they never opened it up. They offered her another job with same pay but at a much further drive from home and shittier clientel (she has a million offers for these)

Read that contract through before you give notice. We actually read it and still got fucked.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ well dang,guess there is always something that CAN happen.
Reborn_

IMO, you don't leverage your offer. That is in poor taste and always leaves current employer pissed off, no matter the outcome. "I have offer X, and if you give me Y, I will stay" just rubs people the wrong way. If you want to stay in your current role, wait for the offer. When it comes, go into management and provide an ultimatum, but don't leverage your existing offer. If they give you what you want, you turn down the outside offer. If you don't, you accept it, and then 1 week later, you give your 2 weeks (tell new employer you can start in 3). While it is effectively the same thing, it is done in a better manner, and less likely to **** people off (old and new employer both). If you don't care to keep current job, just put in your 2 weeks notice once you sign and agree on your start date at the new company.

sounds like you got jammed up. :-/

Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
IMO, you don't leverage your offer. That is in poor taste and always leaves current employer pissed off, no matter the outcome. "I have offer X, and if you give me Y, I will stay" just rubs people the wrong way. If you want to stay in your current role, wait for the offer. When it comes, go into management and provide an ultimatum, but don't leverage your existing offer. If they give you what you want, you turn down the outside offer. If you don't, you accept it, and then 1 week later, you give your 2 weeks (tell new employer you can start in 3). While it is effectively the same thing, it is done in a better manner, and less likely to **** people off (old and new employer both).
you'd be surprised. I have two friends that did that and it worked out incredibly well. You don't make demands of the current employer, but certainly entertain their counters.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:07 AM
Reborn_

Originally Posted by Tim2179 View Post
you'd be surprised. I have two friends that did that and it worked out incredibly well. You don't make demands of the current employer, but certainly entertain their counters.
Oh I know it works. But it pisses upper management off. To extents that I didn't fathom until I went over to the "other side" (management).
Old 04-16-2018, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In my opinion, you let the counters come to you. If they want you bad enough, they will fight to keep you. If not, then you're making the correct choice by leaving.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:12 AM
Oracle of GDD

Originally Posted by Tim2179 View Post
you dont say **** until you have a job offer. THEN you tell them and see if they will make a counter offer.

You start talking big now, then they know you're trying to leave and could start looking for your replacement.

Why do you want to tell your current employer that you're looking for new job?
Originally Posted by Pinja View Post
Rule #1: don't burn bridges

Don't say **** until you have the other job basically guaranteed then tell them your plans and see if they can counter your new job's offerings
Thanks guys. There is no way current employer will be able to counter. The starting salary at the new place would be 2x what the 'next step' at the current job would be, and on the high end it is almost 3x. And since I just got a promotion I don't think they were looking to bump me up until the end of the year, and even that is not guaranteed.

As far as 'looking for my replacement' it doesn't work that way. At my job everyone starts as a contractor as part of a recruiting class, then works their way up. There are ~15 other people with my title and it takes time to get someone to this level of effectiveness. You can't just go hire someone from outside, you have to promote from within.

Originally Posted by BeeResp0nsible View Post
Typically a company will offer you a job and THEN contact previous employers. I would wait to ensure you've been offered the job and then let them know, especially if your current employer may be seen as a competitor of any sorts.
Thanks. And yeah it is their biggest competitor. I'd be doing something totally different, but the jump would be like going from Ford to GM, no exaggeration. Originally I thought I could get the new job and still work nights or weekends at the old job, but with who they are...I doubt that is realistic.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:13 AM
Reborn_

Originally Posted by BeeResp0nsible View Post
In my opinion, you let the counters come to you. If they want you bad enough, they will fight to keep you. If not, then you're making the correct choice by leaving.
Agreed. You don't need to ask. If they want you, they will counter.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:18 AM

which is what I said in my initial statement

THEN you tell them and see if they will make a counter offer.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:20 AM
BCICAN

Originally Posted by Ross View Post
My big concern is, at what point in the process does my current employer deserve a heads-up? I absolutely love working there and the people are amazing. I don't want to jam them up at all scheduling/workflow-wise, and I also want to prepare them to be contacted as references.
Do not say a word until your new position is 100%. I always tell new employers that I will not give notice until paperwork is signed and the background/drug screening are complete. My current employer raised an eyebrow thinking I was worried about the drug test. I simply told them I know I'll pass, but I don't trust things that are out of my control. I can't be sure there wouldn't be some sort of mix-up making it VERY awkward at my job if they found out I was leaving. They then understand it's only because I'm making sure everything is good to go before I give my 2 weeks notice to the current employer. You could give 3 weeks if you really want to be nice, but that's a judgement call. They wouldn't give you any notice at all if they were eliminating you so to give 2 weeks is plenty in my opinion.

For me personally, if I'm looking I've already decided that I'm not considering a counter-offer. Most times counter-offers are a waste to the company because if you take the counter you're statistically likely to leave anyways shortly after that.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:22 AM
Oracle of GDD

They won't be able to make the counter. If this thing comes through, I'm out the door.

Here is the best part--the resume/profile that led them to recruit me was hilariously out of date. It didn't even include my current job w/their biggest competitor. I'm thinking that if they make an offer it will likely not be the low end, since the range depends on experience.

edit--thanks Dunc. I'll keep silent until I have the offer in hand.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't tell your current employer anything until you have the job in most cases. This is not always true. At my last job (I just started this one a month and a half ago) I told my boss nearly 3 months ahead of time that I wasn't going to re-certify as a trainer for 2018 because I would be leaving and moving to another state. I offered to help find and train my own replacement which I did in fact do. My boss gave me great references and even reached out to some people he knew and helped me find another position elsewhere.

I'd say something like that would depend on how valuable you are to your company, and your relationship with your employer. But as a manager, I wouldn't expect anything more than a 2 weeks notice from my employees.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:33 AM
816d16 owes me money!

You never tell your current employer till your "new" gig is locked in. That's a stupid move doing that.
Land the job, new employer will respect your wishes to give 2 weeks notice.....give 2 weeks at current job, walk out after 1 and take a week off before starting new gig.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by usdm420 View Post
.give 2 weeks at current job, walk out after 1 and take a week off before starting new gig.
Many employers will code you as not re-hirable unless you work out your 2 weeks.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by austinkli View Post
Many employers will code you as not re-hirable unless you work out your 2 weeks.
how many
Old 04-16-2018, 11:42 AM
816d16 owes me money!

Originally Posted by austinkli View Post
At that point your new gig already made that phone call and you already got that job....the **** you care for?
Who wants to go backwards to their old gig? Not very many.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by usdm420 View Post
At that point your new gig already made that phone call and you already got that job....the **** you care for?
Who wants to go backwards to their old gig? Not very many.
If I ever left my current position, I would most definitely want to return if I ever needed to look again.
I wouldn't want to leave here on bad terms because of that.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:57 AM
Oracle of GDD

Yeah I don't want to burn any bridges. I love my current job and would go back if circumstances were right. It's also the kind of thing I could work PT in a pinch.

Search this Thread