Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Community Forums > General Discussion and Debate
Reload this Page >

Impending Netflix and streaming collapse and the problems with copyright law

Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impending Netflix and streaming collapse and the problems with copyright law

Old 04-30-2019, 11:56 AM
HT White Ops

Default Impending Netflix and streaming collapse and the problems with copyright law

Some interesting points made in these videos.

Cliffs:

Internet piracy is on the rise for the first time in years.

Consumer satisfaction for streaming is dropping.

This is partly due to exclusivity destroying true competition and removing the incentive for innovation.

This is similar to something that happened years ago when studios owned the theaters their movies played in, before that was eliminated by the antitrust case Paramount vs. the United States.

This video goes into more details about and history of the Paramount vs the US case and its implications.

What you think? Should intellectual property laws be changed? Do the current laws produce oligopolies that hurt the consumer?

If so, what would such revisions look like?
Old 04-30-2019, 01:00 PM
Cole Trickle

Default Re: Impending Netflix and streaming collapse and the problems with copyright law

I think some of the issue lay with it seeming like more stuff is dropping off of Netflix than showing up on it.

That plus with so many streaming options it seems to actually be able to see everything you want to see you're spending way more than was once necessary.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:18 PM
Tickle-shits

Default Re: Impending Netflix and streaming collapse and the problems with copyright law

I have my doubts
Old 04-30-2019, 01:24 PM
Prairie Dog Breeder

I would rather just see twitter and facebook die out.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:31 PM
something gnarly

started to consider cancelling after the recent price increase.

not in a "I can't afford $1/month" way, but more the fact that it raised awareness that I'm still paying for it every month and have only used it to watch 2 different shows so far this year.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Platinum Member

Haven`t watched yet but that`s not surprising. Consumers had one stop shop for content in Netflix for years and now we`re forced to jump from one to the next as one original series ends and another on a diff. platform begins. It gets just as expensive as linear TV when you are watching shows simultaneously. Also, the price hikes.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rochesterricer View Post

Cliffs:

This is partly due to exclusivity destroying true competition and removing the incentive for innovation.

This is similar to something that happened years ago when studios owned the theaters their movies played in, before that was eliminated by the antitrust case Paramount vs. the United States.

https://youtu.be/fDF-S68kx5o

What you think? Should intellectual property laws be changed? Do the current laws produce oligopolies that hurt the consumer?

interesting video thanks for posting it.
I have noticed that there everyone has there own streaming app/service, and at times I just say **** and pirate things too.
I think as companies try to nickel and dime consumers to death, they will just find other (mostly illegal) ways to get what they want. (having to buy ESPN+ to get UFC ppvs is a perfect example)

I think the IP laws around this topic should change, but I have no idea how.
commercials would help generate revenue, but it seems that is a step backwards.

I do think oligopolies hurt the consumers because now you have to buy everyone exclusive app/service. not only is it more expensive its less convenient.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:30 PM
Do it right the first second time!

Until the 4 or 5 streaming services I have now cost more than cable, I don’t give a **** what they charge. We just had a thread on this and I think Netflix, Hulu, Prime, HBO Go and Youtube Red is ~$50-60/mo. Netflix just increased (again) to I think $16/mo. for 4 users and 4K. They don’t have many good (new) movies, but their original content and some older series that are “go-to’s” are ******* dope and worth it.

Not super surprised that people are bitching about Netflix increasing $$$ but not releasing new content... but it’s increased $6 in the 8 years I’ve had it and there’s still a ton of good **** on there. I think a lot of that money goes to their “Netflix Originals” which all from what I’ve seen are fantastic. Definitely worth $16/mo. for 4 households to have access to.

And the competition is ******* great, not a problem. These guys are pumping out INCREDIBLE shows. **** you wouldn’t ever get on cable TV.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:33 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Originally Posted by moopmoop View Post
I think some of the issue lay with it seeming like more stuff is dropping off of Netflix than showing up on it.

That plus with so many streaming options it seems to actually be able to see everything you want to see you're spending way more than was once necessary.
Agree wholeheartedly with this post.

Netflix seems like it's dropping content in order to bring in more of their own stuff. It has seriously been lacking lately.

The TV/Movie production companies are two steps ahead.

You want to cut cable, fine, we're going to start providing exclusive streaming content and now you're going to have to subscribe to each channel separately.

Don't want to go to the movies? Ok fine, we'll provide digital rentals or you have to subscribe to one platform or another that we have contracted with to exclusively show our content in order to see said movies that you will 'wait for'

This leads to more piracy and even though they crackdown pretty hardcore, there are still workarounds that they can't block.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:34 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Originally Posted by Setsuna F Seiei View Post
Haven`t watched yet but that`s not surprising. Consumers had one stop shop for content in Netflix for years and now we`re forced to jump from one to the next as one original series ends and another on a diff. platform begins. It gets just as expensive as linear TV when you are watching shows simultaneously. Also, the price hikes.
We've noticed that some shows will drop off of Netflix and show up on Amazon Prime, vise versa.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:23 PM
HT White Ops

People keep bringing up the price of multiple services, but I think convenience will ultimately be the more important factor for consumers as a whole. It is the primary thing that has motivated all previous revolutions in entertainment.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:41 PM
Do it right the first second time!

Convenience of what? Finding something to watch? Switching between Netflix, Hulu, Amazon etc. nowadays is the same as the old school way of channel surfing. Probably easier in fact.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:53 PM
Sanji

I thought this was why Netflix was failing? She's the proverbial "iceberg" in front of Netflix's "Titanic".

Old 04-30-2019, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

Just a tip, https://www.justwatch.com/us shows you what streaming service your shows are on.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:06 AM
Dragon Slayer For Hire

Eventually everything will be on the Disney app lol. They already got all the Disney / Marvel / Star Wars & Fox properties.

Can't stop da mouse....

Old 05-01-2019, 02:35 AM
aka DaZman69!

Originally Posted by rochesterricer View Post

Cliffs:

https://youtu.be/fDF-S68kx5o

This video goes into more details about and history of the Paramount vs the US case and its implications.

https://youtu.be/FGsLhDFDmIs

his main arguement is that the services wonít improve the OS because of the lack of competition. The OS is not all that important imo. I mean it is, but itís nothing in comparison to the content. So the content is not effected by this, if anything it benefits by it.

If you donít allow the entities to have the right to stream the intellectual property, sure you improve the OS, but you degrade the content at the same time. Iíll take content over OS.

pirating is on the rise because
-they have toned down the anti piracy enforcement, they were on a rampage a few years ago. I havenít gotten a dcma or whatever notice in years, I used to get them all the time. The torrent sites are hardly ever shut down anymore. Before they would shut down sites all the time, and when your go-to site was down you had to find another. Finding another and learning how to findthe content you want is no easy task for someone that is a casual torrenter. It just made it enough of a pain in the *** that you a lot of times didnít do it.
-because these services are streaming, itís easier than ever for a regular guy to record the content. I mean to do it previously with a set top box, you need some piece of hardware to record the audio/video feed as it was playing. Now you can simply stream your content over the computer, and easily use software to record the content.

I donít see how the streaming services are different from the premium channels weíve had for decades.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:41 AM
Pork is NOT a verb!

I dropped Netflix a while back and there's no way I'm paying for multiple streaming services.

Not that I watched a whole lot of TV anyways. I do use Youtube quite a bit though.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:02 AM
HT White Ops

Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
Convenience of what? Finding something to watch? Switching between Netflix, Hulu, Amazon etc. nowadays is the same as the old school way of channel surfing. Probably easier in fact.
Doesn't really matter that it sucks less than cable. Keep in mind that streaming services are expanding far beyond the big 3 you describe. Everyone with IP of their own is trying to get into this game.

Originally Posted by sflkgjsfndgn View Post
his main arguement is that the services won’t improve the OS because of the lack of competition. The OS is not all that important imo. I mean it is, but it’s nothing in comparison to the content. So the content is not effected by this, if anything it benefits by it.

If you don’t allow the entities to have the right to stream the intellectual property, sure you improve the OS, but you degrade the content at the same time. I’ll take content over OS.

pirating is on the rise because
-they have toned down the anti piracy enforcement, they were on a rampage a few years ago. I haven’t gotten a dcma or whatever notice in years, I used to get them all the time. The torrent sites are hardly ever shut down anymore. Before they would shut down sites all the time, and when your go-to site was down you had to find another. Finding another and learning how to findthe content you want is no easy task for someone that is a casual torrenter. It just made it enough of a pain in the *** that you a lot of times didn’t do it.
-because these services are streaming, it’s easier than ever for a regular guy to record the content. I mean to do it previously with a set top box, you need some piece of hardware to record the audio/video feed as it was playing. Now you can simply stream your content over the computer, and easily use software to record the content.

I don’t see how the streaming services are different from the premium channels we’ve had for decades.
No, he speaks about competition in general and just uses the features/OS as one example of such competition. Your point about the content s also addressed, and you can also see counterpoint in the aftermath of the Paramount vs. US case.

Piracy isn't his only example, but keep in mind the enforcement phenomenon you describe does not correlate well with the increase in piracy. The increase just happened for the first time in years. It correlates better with the decline in satisfaction with streaming.

"I don’t see how the streaming services are different from the premium channels we’ve had for decades."

But thats part of the problem isn't it?

Last edited by rochesterricer; 05-01-2019 at 05:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-01-2019, 04:16 AM

interesting... I'm into this discussion
Old 05-01-2019, 04:25 AM
I am SO fancy!

Take what I pay for internet access (although I do other things with the internet, so it's almost "subsidized") along with the streaming services, and I'm sure I am paying almost premium cable prices.

The proliferation of streaming has become a headache - precisely for the "exclusive content" offered by each one. If each streaming service could instead focus on content production, maybe another "clearing house" could then be the streaming medium and we may see a reduction in price. I don't know.

But I'm finding that in today's economy - be it used vehicles that seem to be creeping up to new vehicle prices, streaming services that are steadily approaching premium cable prices, etc. - I think the market has figured out to keep sailing along with about the same revenue as it did before, or may even be getting more.

But to RR's OP, I do see a lot of analogy between the Paramount case and what streaming services are doing. I could get behind an argument to treat them likewise.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Pay as you use, cancel when done.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:04 AM
HT White Ops

A key point I forgot to bring up is that the businesses most likely to survive this crash are the ones that can use it to add value to their business by selling you other stuff they offer. Such as Disney using their streaming to sell you merchandise or Disney vacations or Amazon selling you products. This is why some believe Netflix could be in trouble.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Smell a merger?
Old 05-02-2019, 04:34 AM
Honda-Tech Platinum Member

Flix will just have to keep cranking exclusive content. This is not a winner take all market. Their debt to Ebitda ratio shows they're willing to add more to their library
Old 05-02-2019, 05:24 AM
HT White Ops

Originally Posted by Setsuna F Seiei View Post
Flix will just have to keep cranking exclusive content. This is not a winner take all market. Their debt to Ebitda ratio shows they're willing to add more to their library
This is part of what folks theorize will result in their collapse. Their costs will rise dramatically as they produce more and more original content simply to retain customers, let alone gain new ones. This erodes their profits until they disappear completely.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.