Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm looking to build a simple desktop...

Old 03-16-2008, 12:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default I'm looking to build a simple desktop...

I'm a noob at this but here's what I want. A friend of mine bought the Dell Vostro Slim Tower chassis with a 250w PSU off of ebay, specifically this one here.

He offered it to me and I thought it would be cool to pick this up and build something very simple to suit my needs. I only need it to run one application for work, my dsl internet/email, and MS Office, nothing else. I really need it to be quick though because the application I need to run for work will be useless if it's slow.

Anyway, there was a thread I was looking for to get me started, it had a list of how to build a basic desktop with all types of components explained. Can't find it anymore.

I only need about 20 gigs of hd space, basic, yet quick. So first of all, is this chassis a good platform to start off with? And how can I find out what motherboard/hd/processor/etc. is compatible with this tower? That should get me started on the right foot for now. TIA.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I'm looking to build a simple desktop... (MARVNVRAM)

Old 03-16-2008, 04:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Whats your budget?
Old 03-16-2008, 04:52 AM
Grandpa

Default Re: I'm looking to build a simple desktop... (MARVNVRAM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MARVNVRAM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm a noob at this but here's what I want. A friend of mine bought the Dell Vostro Slim Tower chassis with a 250w PSU off of ebay....</TD></TR></TABLE>
I have not heard anything bad at all about the Vostro chassis or mainboard, but you need to do some research about the ultimate advantages and disadvantages of basing your system off of a cheap Dell workstation or server.

Sometimes you can really luck out, and you can build a system based on a cheap Dell that'll be a system you can hang onto for a little longer than you'd expect.

The "Honda-Tech Command Centre" is based on a Dell Poweredge 400SC that was put into service in 2004 and I still don't feel an urgent need to replace it, even though I've caught myself looking around, lately.

Dell is going to err on the side of caution when designing their mainboards, and sometimes their mainboards and power supplies are a little unusual and you won't necessarily be able to upgrade the power supply by just walking into Wal Mart and buying a bigger one. But there will always be somebody somewhere that'll be able to get you what you need and it will probably be an overall pleasant experience.

A hilarious example of the kind of thing you have to consider: When the successor 775 socket replacement to the 400SC hit the market, everybody complained that with the 440SC you couldn't use the very fastest, newest PCI-e video cards. Then some brainiac discovered that all you had to do was take an Xacto knife to a small tab on the slot, and bingo, you could have full support of the big, fast video cards.

Dell servers can cost hundreds or even thousands less than the equivalent retail machines, but the guts of them are very often exactly the same and you can have a very reliable, rather speedy machine for not much money if you're willing to do some research and if you're not entirely averse to fooling with things.

:-)
Old 03-16-2008, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I'm looking to build a simple desktop... (George Knighton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Doostur &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Whats your budget?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well over at the Dell website I can "customize" a simple setup for about $600, not including monitor. So far, with the motherboard/processor/memory bundle and 80gb HD, I'm at $250 with TigerDirect. I'm also using the same specs as if I were to just buy off of Dell's site (Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 2.20GHz, 1024MB Dual Channel Supported 667MHz DDR2, 80GB Hard Drive - 7200, 8MB, SATA-300).

So I'm hoping, with everything said and done, I can have a complete system with monitor for less than what it would cost at Dell (so far $775 w/ 17" monitor at Dell).

Is there anything I'm missing to complete my tower?
Also, buying an OEM HD, instead of retail, means I need to buy the necessary software/documentation/cables separately?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by George Knighton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I have not heard anything bad at all about the Vostro chassis or mainboard, but you need to do some research about the ultimate advantages and disadvantages of basing your system off of a cheap Dell workstation or server.

Dell servers can cost hundreds or even thousands less than the equivalent retail machines, but the guts of them are very often exactly the same and you can have a very reliable, rather speedy machine for not much money if you're willing to do some research and if you're not entirely averse to fooling with things.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've actually had nothing but great experience with Dell and still own an '02/'03 Dimension 4600, '04 Inspiron 600m, and an '06 Dimension 8110. The only problem I ever had was a dead memory stick on the laptop so I just upgraded to a 1gb stick and been running on it for the past year with no issues.

I didn't set out to build a Dell, it just sort of fell on my lap with my friend giving me the Vostro tower for free. Also, since I don't have a desktop of my own I just figured why not take this opportunity to build one. Right now I use my 600m for work but a desktop would be better since it needs to be running and connected to the internet all day Mon-Fri.

Modified by MARVNVRAM at 4:09 PM 3/16/2008

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.