I'm getting a big boy bike - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm getting a big boy bike

Old 02-17-2019, 12:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default I'm getting a big boy bike

I did not know where else to share my enthusiasm other than GDD. At 31 I have signed up for motorcycle training course and I am excited!

So the question is... should I get a 300cc sports bike like a little girl or should I go 1,000cc to my death?
Old 02-17-2019, 12:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I'm getting a big boy bike

But in all seriousness, I am really looking for a helmet that won't rip off my rapidly thinning hair.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:44 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

You'll grow out of a 300cc quick if you only want speed but it is a great starter bike.

Daz will say you're a ***** and just buy a 600+ because everybody only wants to rip through gears and as long as you don't die within the first 100 days of riding then you'll be an expert and never die.

Sportbikes are fun!

Cruisers are also fun if you want to feel like you're in SOA.

Dual sports are the best if you want to explore.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:59 AM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

Just remember, when you rest your right hand on the throttle, start with your wrist flat. Don’t grab it with your wrist cocked, or else you could grab a handful of throttle and fly the **** off. Oh, and start on a small bike to get good on big bikes. Otherwise you’re gonna be intimidated and never get really good. So many of my friends started on a 750 and 1000 because of their egos and they’re slow as ****. I specifically remember one dude with a 750 asking me why dont I get a bigger bike since I’m a big dude. That weekend they went to the canyons and he crashed into a barbed wire fence. All the fastest guys in the world started on the smallest bikes. And read Twist of the Wrist 2!
Old 02-17-2019, 01:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Electric bike for insta-death.

Skip to 1:30.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:09 AM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

I think naked 650’s are the best all around bikes. Fun, cheap, just enough power to zip around on the fwy, and fun.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:11 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

Yeah a ninja650, sv650 etc are nice.

My buddy had a gs500e and it wasn't much faster than my 250. But they were both older carbed bikes compared to newer 3-400cc FI bikes
Old 02-17-2019, 01:22 AM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

Yeah, I’m always tempted to get another bike whenever I see a 650. They’re like scooters that you can zip around in but aren’t slow as ****.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:47 AM
aka DaZman69!

you're a ***** just buy a 600+ because everybody only wants to rip through gears and as long as you don't die within the first 100 days of riding then you'll be an expert and never die.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:23 AM
GDD Member

Be careful with the 600s. My first bike was a 600 and I thought I was an expert until about 99 days later when I died.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:33 AM
"Haters Gonna Hate"

Originally Posted by slomofo View Post
Be careful with the 600s. My first bike was a 600 and I thought I was an expert until about 99 days later when I died.

BRB postin from down under
Old 02-17-2019, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My progression:

A 90cc "street bike" when I was 16 yrs. old.
(No license - no registration / plates)
Kept it 3 months.

A 550cc 4cyl. street bike with plates / insurance, & license.
Kept it 1 1/2 years.

Purchased a pro-built 870cc, (Orient Express, LI, NY) with cams, head work, oversize valves, smooth-bores, a header and more.
Kept it for 31 years.

A 650cc 4cyl. street bike.
Kept it about 2 years.
(2 at the same time)

A single cylinder, street legal, 500cc enduro.
Kept it about 2 years.
(3 at the same time)

An R1
Kept it about 3-4 years

My FJR
Never, ever, gonna' sell it

A Virago XV250, for the kids to get their licenses.
^^^ I sort of like the "toy" because only on that bike can I drive wide open for hours.

I honestly wish I would have kept them all.

My advise?
Buy the bike that you think you want to keep forever.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh, my brother-in-law wants to sell me his older LowRider.
Great price.
(He can't ride any longer)

Seriously thinking about it.
Just don't have the room, & it's never really been my style.

We shall see.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all the advice guys....

I guess from the consensus I will start with a 350 and then probably end at 600.

Now for the next question. Should I ball out on safety gear? What would should I buy if safety was number one? Should I ball out on the fanciest brands?
Old 02-17-2019, 10:40 AM
aka DaZman69!

Originally Posted by k3nnex View Post

I guess from the consensus I will start with a 350 and then probably end at 600.

Now for the next question. Should I ball out on safety gear? What would should I buy if safety was number one? Should I ball out on the fanciest brands?
Hjc helmet and a 600, that’s how the real men start out
Old 02-17-2019, 10:52 AM
BCICAN

If you're smart and have self-control then get the bike you want. If you do not have self-control then you don't belong on a bike at all.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:11 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

Originally Posted by k3nnex View Post

Buy the best gear you can afford. Safety is definitely #1, because you have nothing else protecting you.

Old 02-17-2019, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I worked in a bike shop for a while a few years back. The best advice I can give is start on something like a 300cc sport bike if you want to get into sport bikes. You likely will tip your bike, this will help prevent that due to the weight. They have light clutches, allow for more room for mistakes while shifting, cornering and throttling. You will grow out of it by the end of the season but if you ride them right you will gain so much valuable experience. They have plenty of pep and are more than highway capable. You can still easily lose your license.

What really drove me crazy is when a group of guys would come into the shop, tell their buddy who is in your situation "Hey man, you'll grow out of it. I had one and sold it after a season. Save your money, step up to a 600cc." this is extremely flawed advice. Sure, they seem to have your financial interests at heart but they are robbing you of is that valuable experience that they themselves obtained. Buy a 300cc range bike, take the training, practice, watch youtube videos to help your skills and you will greatly help your odds of enjoying the sport for many years (hopefully decades) to come without serious injury or death.

The next piece of advice, buy good gear. I've always suited up full race suit, boots, gloves etc every time. All the gear, all the time. Learn that and follow it. I know most don't and won't but that is true yolo imo if you choose not too. I've witnessed so many people end up in hospitals in rough shape when if they had gear they would have simply got up and been relatively fine. I'm telling you, when you are laying in a hospital bed with missing skin you'd be willing to pay x10 the amount for the gear you should have purchased. $1500-2000 will get you very nice, quality gear. (If you finance your bike you can roll the gear into the financing btw)

All the best with the bike!
Old 02-17-2019, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought you meant a real big boy bike like a 800lbs v-twin.

If you like riding don't buy a sport bike. It's always the first bike people buy then realize it's the wrong bike for so many reasons then it's sold with in a year or they never ride it. Sport touring bikes are great, dual-sports, cruisers, just depends on your long term goals. If you're planning to do track days by all means buy a sport bike but it doesn't sound like you have much experience riding and we all start somewhere.

FYI I started on a CBR600, I've owned a few bikes since then but not sport/ road racing bikes. I got in and out without losing any money but I couldn't ride it for more than 15 mins on long straight roads. My arms would go to sleep leaning that far forward.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ A 300cc sport bike has a upright seat position and taller handle bars. It actually is the same as naked appearance bikes. The fairings just look sporty. Another reason why they are great learner bikes.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Prudz_lude View Post
I worked in a bike shop for a while a few years back. The best advice I can give is start on something like a 300cc sport bike if you want to get into sport bikes. You likely will tip your bike, this will help prevent that due to the weight. They have light clutches, allow for more room for mistakes while shifting, cornering and throttling. You will grow out of it by the end of the season but if you ride them right you will gain so much valuable experience. They have plenty of pep and are more than highway capable. You can still easily lose your license.

What really drove me crazy is when a group of guys would come into the shop, tell their buddy who is in your situation "Hey man, you'll grow out of it. I had one and sold it after a season. Save your money, step up to a 600cc." this is extremely flawed advice. Sure, they seem to have your financial interests at heart but they are robbing you of is that valuable experience that they themselves obtained. Buy a 300cc range bike, take the training, practice, watch youtube videos to help your skills and you will greatly help your odds of enjoying the sport for many years (hopefully decades) to come without serious injury or death.

The next piece of advice, buy good gear. I've always suited up full race suit, boots, gloves etc every time. All the gear, all the time. Learn that and follow it. I know most don't and won't but that is true yolo imo if you choose not too. I've witnessed so many people end up in hospitals in rough shape when if they had gear they would have simply got up and been relatively fine. I'm telling you, when you are laying in a hospital bed with missing skin you'd be willing to pay x10 the amount for the gear you should have purchased. $1500-2000 will get you very nice, quality gear. (If you finance your bike you can roll the gear into the financing btw)

All the best with the bike!
^^^^this. I have a yamaha r3 (300 class bike) and although its not terribly fast it has proved to be a very valuable training tool. And it wasn't even my FIRST bike! Has plenty of pep to outrun traffic around town but not enough power to flip you off like a 600cc. You will outgrow the power within one riding season. However, the handling mechanics of a 300 is like a tour of what a 600 would handle like, so when you get on the 600 next year you will already feel familiar with the switchgear, riding position, how quickly they steer, etc, and you can put your focus on the power curve, which is where the real learning begins. most 250/300 bikes can be sold for damn near what you paid for them. get on craigslist and look for ninja 250s and 300s and you will see what i mean. a solid 250/300 can be had for 2 grand, even 1500 if you look carefully.

if cruisers are something you'd ever be interested in, go test ride a few harley sportsters and yamaha v-stars. they are heavier than the 300cc bikes and will track down the interstate easier with less influence from crosswinds, and are highly customizeable. most 50-60 hp harley sporstsers will be as fast on the top end as the 300cc sport bikes (although they have less hp and more aero), but will give you that added benefit of low end torque that allows you to "forget" to downshift and still be okay. I've taken off from a stop sign in 3rd gear on my old 1200cc sportster (no ******* clue how i messed that up, was my first week of riding though)

if you're interested, send someone to pick up my R3, im selling it this riding season to upgrade
Old 02-17-2019, 12:40 PM
brap braaaaap

Sidi boots and shoei helmet. Or an arai.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice 👍 life changing move . The course will decide whether you like riding or not.

Also where are you from? If in CA you will need to learn how to split.

My progression was Ninja 250>Honda CBR500R>Yamaha FZ07>Kawi ZX6R 636> Yamaha MT09 current

Almost a decade of riding in the bay area and have been hit off my bike last year. Other than that. Never been down.

As far as gear .spend the extra for good stuff. I only wear Arai and usually Alpinestars gear. Not a snob or anything . I wait for sales and get them at good prices online .
Old 02-17-2019, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ex-Eg-Driver View Post

As far as gear .spend the extra for good stuff. I only wear Arai and usually Alpinestars gear. Not a snob or anything . I wait for sales and get them at good prices online .
^ Solid advice. Alpinestars and Dainese are the top of the line gear you can buy for leathers, boots, gloves etc. Arai and Shoei are the go to for helmets.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome I am thinking r3 for first bike. See a lot of good reviews on them.

and I will be buying the best protection gear available as well! So shoei alpine and arai!

so excited ! 😬

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.