Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Community Forums > General Discussion and Debate
Reload this Page >

If being happy is the most important thing in life, why is it so hard to achieve?

Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If being happy is the most important thing in life, why is it so hard to achieve?

Old 03-01-2019, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default If being happy is the most important thing in life, why is it so hard to achieve?

Seriously, do you know anyone who demonstrates happiness at its finest on a consistent basis???

What is required to obtain this? Is it even possible?
Old 03-01-2019, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: If being happy is the most important thing in life, why is it so hard to achieve?

You should ask trump
Old 03-01-2019, 06:45 AM
talks to himself

Default Re: If being happy is the most important thing in life, why is it so hard to achieve?

Stop trying to be existential, douche bag.

Old 03-01-2019, 06:46 AM
Loves Tossing Salad

Patience my friend, patience.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:48 AM
Head Of Bespoke

Id say im happy. I have my health, a good job, kids, wife, and two GEH's.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Titanium Member

I would say it's a pretty important part of life. Along with health.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Titanium Member

Originally Posted by 09chaplak View Post
Patience my friend, patience.
definitely ranks up there
Old 03-01-2019, 06:55 AM

That's because "happiness" is so hard to define.

One guy need a million dollar to be happy.

One guy is stressing over getting his water heater fixed.

Both are not happy. We all can't be happy. So we drive mad, and give you the bird for driving 10mph faster than the posted speed limit.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:57 AM
that's no moon

Originally Posted by GoLowDrew View Post

Money doesn’t bring happiness.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:58 AM
Resident Hoser #1

I'm happy for the most part but it's not realistic to say that anyone can be happy 100% of the time. We are built to experience many emotions. If we didn't the human race might not even exist.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by 020 View Post

Ask around, it does. A lot of guys will be happy with some srs cash.

BTW, I get what you are saying, but many would not agree.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:59 AM
Prairie Dog Breeder

To me, being happy is the most important thing in life, however that's the one thing I cannot find/do. All I want is to be loved by someone else, yet that is an impossibility and deal with emotional scars from exes committing suicide. If you can find happiness pls tell me how you did it.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is something I think about a lot myself, I put a lot of high expectations on myself then work myself to death to accomplish those goals. This has resulted in me being pretty "successful" on paper but at the same time I don't know if I feel happy or not. On one hand I'm working nonstop, albeit on things I love doing, but on the other hand it comes at the cost of my personal life (and sanity at times).

Then again academic-y people have historically been stereotyped as unhappy. Not sure if that world makes people unhappy or if it attracts unhappy people in the first place .

I try not to get too deep into it but I often find myself daydreaming of leaving it all behind and just going somewhere to start fresh. If I was truly happy why would I daydream about this? On the other hand I don't think I'm unhappy though.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:22 AM

We go through cycles of what happiness. When I was young, all I needed was a cell phone and a lowered Lexus LS400 while cruising down Waikiki, and my boyz.

Today, I find happiness just sitting under a tree.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:22 AM
eight equals equals equals D

Originally Posted by 020 View Post

Creating threads in GDD does
Old 03-01-2019, 07:25 AM
Pork is NOT a verb!

IMO its because lasting happiness comes from within and pretty much everyone expects it to come from things/events in the external world. That kind of happiness is only temporary.

But I feel depressed half the time so what do i know.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:26 AM
GDD's Dr. Phil?

Happiness isn't difficult, relative happiness is. Unplug from social media, and as long as you are healthy, have enough to eat, a roof over your head, and good people in your life, happiness is inevitable. Happy people think they're unhappy because they follow their "successful" friends on social media, and develop a distorted view.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:27 AM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

Some days I'm happy, such as I feel confident and optimistic that I can do anything (talking to a 10, getting my dream job). Then come the next day i'm back to reality, and I procrastinate, worry, think that i'm not worth the breath I breathe.

We humans exist for trials and tribulations, the key is finding a balance. The idea of happiness and perfection are lies, and many have fallen for it. I've met some women that are always chipper, and I know for sure some are taking anti-depressants,
Old 03-01-2019, 07:28 AM
Paragraph Alert

Originally Posted by mixxed View Post
Seriously, do you know anyone who demonstrates happiness at its finest on a consistent basis???

What is required to obtain this? Is it even possible?
Possibly a controversial opinion incoming: Happiness isn't the most important thing in life and the idea that it is actually leads to a lot of unhappiness and depression. People are told that happiness should be the goal so when people aren't happy all the time they start wondering what's wrong with their life.

If you think about it how can humans possibly be designed to be happy all the time? The vast majority of our evolutionary history our day to day life was built around simply trying to survive. "Happiness" was an occasional reward system to keep you going but happiness as an everlasting state makes little sense. Humans are designed to work, struggle, and bear some burden just like all creatures.

I think the most important thing in life is being productive and useful in some way regardless if you are "happy" all the time or not. Do you want to be miserable all the time? Of course not, but if you aren't happy all the time does that mean something is wrong? Hell no.

Another way to think of it: Think about the things you are most proud of in your life. I'm willing to bet that a huge number of those things were not moments of happiness....but moments of work and struggle that you overcame. Most significant achievements in life are kind of the opposite of happiness while you are actually doing them but that is also what makes them worth it.

Cliffs: Being useful and adding something to society is more important than constantly seeking "happiness".
Old 03-01-2019, 07:28 AM
Risky Business

Happiness for a lot of people is setting a goal and achieving it. Once the goal is achieved, they move onto something else. There's always ups and downs on the way to fulfilling your goals, so it's really hard to be happy all the time.

You could argue that people who are bored are happy, because they don't have any further goals to achieve at that time. I think there is a fine line between happiness and boredom.

https://positivepsychologyprogram.com/goal-setting/

Setting goals can be a constructive practice. Whether you are setting career goals, relationship and familial goals or daily goals, it is pertinent to understand what your objectives are in order to establish goals that you can ultimately attain.There has been a lot of research in positive psychology on the benefits of goal setting to help maintain a happier and healthier life. Being happy takes a lot of practice and a lot of work, and goal setting is one part of the equation.Your dopamine system, which is a chemical that is released every time you experience a reward, is reliant upon goal setting and achievement. So as dopamine is released into the part of your brain responsible for positive rewards, you are essentially motivated to repeat this occurrence. When you set goals and accomplish them, you and your brain are rewarded
You could look at a guy like Tom Brady, and wonder how the hell could he ever be unhappy, dude has achieved everything personally and professionally...well it's because the goal posts are always moving for him. There's always something else to achieve...otherwise he'd be bored sitting on his *** all day.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:36 AM
Prairie Dog Breeder

I think a very real and aspect some people face (ESPECIALLY myself) is the whole 'moving goalpost' dilemma we put ourselves in. My cross country coach in college articulated this point best when he was like: as runners the issue you face is that no matter what, you still must improve; sure you ran a 4:11 mile, but because of that your new goal is now a 4:09 mile.... I could go on, but I house that same line of thought with regards to money because money doesn't buy happiness, but it removes a vast amount of strain/stress/struggles so it's important for that reason, imo. Plus everyone is judgmental and we live in a society that highly prizes material culture so our priories are all fucked until reality slaps us hard and we realize the actual, most important part of our lives are our own health/family.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by oneludesol View Post
Happiness isn't difficult, relative happiness is. Unplug from social media, and as long as you are healthy, have enough to eat, a roof over your head, and good people in your life, happiness is inevitable. Happy people think they're unhappy because they follow their "successful" friends on social media, and develop a distorted view.
Lots of truth in this. Control your own expectations and standards instead of letting other people define what you should be. It's easier to be happy when you aren't chasing the next big thing you didn't really want anyway.

Of course then you have to learn how to blow off all the groupthink nonsense when people judge you for exclusively owning EFs and lurking in melodramatic internet forums.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:45 AM
something gnarly

you use fewer muscles to smile than you do to frown, so being happy is actually easier.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GoLowDrew View Post

Both are not happy. We all can't be happy. So we drive mad, and give you the bird for driving 10mph faster than the posted speed limit.
This. If op is asking what will make everyone happy that should be conveyed in the subject.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I stop trying to chase happiness some time ago and start been happy regardless of what I have and/or don't have... Things happens, so.. If there a solution? Why bother? There is a solution.... There is no solution? Why bother? It will never be resolved.

I do not let things take my happiness away. Happiness is a state of mind...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.