Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Community Forums > General Discussion and Debate
Reload this Page >

How many of you have *converted* from the domestic side?

Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many of you have *converted* from the domestic side?

Old 12-16-2001, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many of you have *converted* from the domestic side?

Just curious how many of you have a similar story to me.

Here's my story...
I was born and raised on Chevy power growing up. My dad's been drag racing Chevys for 30+ years. Ever since I could walk and talk I was helping my dad work on cars and anyway I could help out at the track.

Once I turned 15 I bought my first car. It was a '78 Camaro with the weak *** 305. I added some bolt ons and I blew it up. While I was building a 350 I got to drive my mom's restored '78 Datsun 280Z. 6 cyl/4 speed manual. That was my first *taste* of imports. It was a great car. I had no idea what it was all about, but I learned to drive a manual quite well and soon enough I was beating down some domestic V8's. I got my Camaro back on the road with the 350 and was running consistent mid 14's on street tires all day. I once had a perfect .500 R/T at the track.

Anyway...I kept driving domestics for years, then I bought a '90 Probe GT in 1992. Amazing car. It had the Mazda 2.2L turbo. I modded it and fell in love with that car. It's since went to car heaven. RIP. It kind of brought me into the import world. Around 1995 I started to look hard into the world of imports.

I was shopping for new cars in 1999 and *almost* bought a Impreza 2.5 RS in Rally Blue. Cool car, but I thank my lucky stars that I held out for a better car. I found out in an issue of Motor Trend that the ITR was being brought back to the US!!! I was so happy. Especially since it was coming in Phoenix Yellow. Say what you will about yellow, but I think it's a cool color on the right car (not Saturns).

I waited, schemed, and saved for the ITR and bought mine in March '00. I later bought a '92 Civic CX as a daily driver (but I knew I wanted to convert it to a hybrid). Anyway, in April '01 I ended up getting the B18C1 swap and installed myself with the help of some close friends.

Ever since I'm hooked on Hondas. I will still always hold a place in my heart for the old muscle cars of the late 60's-70's though. Maybe I'll get that '68 Camaro SS I've always wanted. Black with white racing stripes.

[/rant]

Old 12-16-2001, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How many of you have *converted* from the domestic side? (Yellow Dragon)

i sorta did.. i drove my dads old 84 caddy fleetwood for a half year before buying a integra

[Modified by SamuraiJack, 9:24 PM 12/16/2001]
Old 12-16-2001, 08:29 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: How many of you have *converted* from the domestic side? (Yellow Dragon)

Basically, Father is a mechanic, has been since he was 13 years old In Italy, Came over hear bought out the shop he was working for when I was 3 and I have been around cars all my life.
Lancia's, Chevy's, Nissan's, Honda's A little of everything
Old 12-16-2001, 08:49 PM
Unfortunate Clevland Sports Fan

Default Re: How many of you have *converted* from the domestic side? (TypeRmsm)

my dad brought me and my bro up on domestics and i still like them but i like imports more now, i plan on getting a 70 chevelle ss like my dad had....man that thing was sweet
Old 12-17-2001, 02:33 AM
New User

Default Re: How many of you have *converted* from the domestic side? (GoodFella)

i been converted from imports to the domestic side hehe... wanted a teggy when i was lookin, ended up with my new bird for a sweet deal i do like to call myself a 'reformed' domestic owner though. used to be all 'imports suck' typical close minded type of thinking. but hell since i been chillin here with you fine folk, it's opened my eyes a bit.
Old 12-17-2001, 12:19 PM

Just curious how many of you have a similar story to me.

Here's my story...
I was born and raised on Chevy power growing up. My dad's been drag racing Chevys for 30+ years. Ever since I could walk and talk I was helping my dad work on cars and anyway I could help out at the track.

Once I turned 15 I bought my first car. It was a '78 Camaro with the weak *** 305. I added some bolt ons and I blew it up. While I was building a 350 I got to drive my mom's restored '78 Datsun 280Z. 6 cyl/4 speed manual. That was my first *taste* of imports. It was a great car. I had no idea what it was all about, but I learned to drive a manual quite well and soon enough I was beating down some domestic V8's. I got my Camaro back on the road with the 350 and was running consistent mid 14's on street tires all day. I once had a perfect .500 R/T at the track.

Anyway...I kept driving domestics for years, then I bought a '90 Probe GT in 1992. Amazing car. It had the Mazda 2.2L turbo. I modded it and fell in love with that car. It's since went to car heaven. RIP. It kind of brought me into the import world. Around 1995 I started to look hard into the world of imports.

I was shopping for new cars in 1999 and *almost* bought a Impreza 2.5 RS in Rally Blue. Cool car, but I thank my lucky stars that I held out for a better car. I found out in an issue of Motor Trend that the ITR was being brought back to the US!!! I was so happy. Especially since it was coming in Phoenix Yellow. Say what you will about yellow, but I think it's a cool color on the right car (not Saturns).

I waited, schemed, and saved for the ITR and bought mine in March '00. I later bought a '92 Civic CX as a daily driver (but I knew I wanted to convert it to a hybrid). Anyway, in April '01 I ended up getting the B18C1 swap and installed myself with the help of some close friends.

Ever since I'm hooked on Hondas. I will still always hold a place in my heart for the old muscle cars of the late 60's-70's though. Maybe I'll get that '68 Camaro SS I've always wanted. Black with white racing stripes.

[/rant]
Aren't we all converted? Most likely our parents drove domestic. When 1980 rolled in, GM owned 50% of the auto market. Add Ford and Chrysler, everyone was domestic. No one wanted Imports. VW, Toyota, Honda were all gay. People like us (20+ years agao) would be looking for big block V8s in used Chevelle, Nova, Firebird, Cutless, Dart, or Duster, and etc. If we must do "Sports Compact" than let's drop in a Ford V8 into a Pinto.

P.S. I still wish I had my 78 Buick Regal (first car).
Old 12-17-2001, 12:29 PM
New User

Default Re: How many of you have *converted* from the domestic side? (GoLowDrew)

1965 VW Bug (used)
1977 Civic (first new car) paid 2800, drove it 5 years, sold for 2800
1982 Ford Ranger 2.3L IL4
1984 Ford F250 4x4/460v8
1987 Ford Bronco II 4x4 2.8L v6
1991 Ford SHO v6 Yamaha Marine Mustang eater
1996 Dodge Ram 4x4 360 v8
2001 PY TR

[Modified by mad skillz, 3:30 PM 12/17/2001]
Old 12-17-2001, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How many of you have *converted* from the domestic side? (mad skillz)

JDM all my life
Old 12-17-2001, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How many of you have *converted* from the domestic side? (biggest_dookie)

Hehehe....
Who say's you have to "Convert".....

I love em all!
Old 12-17-2001, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Formerly of SF moved to DFW and now back in SF, CA, USA
Default Re: How many of you have *converted* from the domestic side? (ThePunk)

I owned a '68 Mustang and two '69 Camaro's before buying the GSR! I'll alwyas love the '69 Camaro's! I'd love to own a '69 DZ-302! Or a Yenko or COPO Camaro! (yeah right! Only if I win the lottery!) Or a '65 Shelby! I love the early fastbacks!
Old 12-17-2001, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How many of you have *converted* from the domestic side? (Gee3)

Old cars suck. **** handling, heavy bodies and mondo horsepower do not make a great driving car in my book. But what do I know?
Old 12-17-2001, 08:37 PM
New User

Default Re: How many of you have *converted* from the domestic side? (Big Phat R)

said it before, i'll say it again (rephrased). a tin can that will go smoosh in a simple rear end collision doesn't make a good driving car either in my book
Old 12-17-2001, 08:58 PM
Trial User

Default Re: How many of you have *converted* from the domestic side? (Big Phat R)

Old cars suck. **** handling, heavy bodies and mondo horsepower do not make a great driving car in my book. But what do I know?
you sir are an idiot...

not all old cars are bad handlers....

and guess what... 20 years from now... people are going to say how horrid your Teg handled
Old 12-17-2001, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How many of you have *converted* from the domestic side? (NagChampa)

1st car: 88 grand am
2nd car: 85 Z28 with 18k on it i loved it!
3rd: my 94 accord

I would not mind an Ls1 Z28 or SS
Old 12-17-2001, 09:27 PM

Default Re: How many of you have *converted* from the domestic side? (Hondasport94)

I had an 89 5.0 and a 94 F-body in high school. Had problems with the Mustang and sold it for the Firebird, but later had problems with that car my first year of college. Met up with a bunch a old friends from high school that were driving nice looking Civics(ricey by my standards today) and decided to get a brand new 2000 EX and have been moding it for the past two years. Only thing I regret is not finding H-T earlier to enlighten me on what is power and what is just plain rice.
Old 12-17-2001, 10:31 PM
New User

Default Re: How many of you have *converted* from the domestic side? (maxim)

growing up i always wanted a honda but couldnt afford one. my first car was a 88 chevy berretta. i worked 2 jobs--unloading trucks during the day and waited tables at benigans during the nite and saved up 3 thousand dollars in 3 months. i paid $2,500 for the berretta and put another $4k in it trying to keep it running while i had it. my next car was a 2k civic EX. i then got caught up in the new 99-00 Si and traded the EX in for it. Now im trying to sell the Si and grab a hatch. my car note is putting a hurt on me with the Si. I should have bought a hatch the first time but i was hard headed.
Old 12-17-2001, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How many of you have *converted* from the domestic side? (bishop)

growing up i always wanted a honda but couldnt afford one.
Old 12-17-2001, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Formerly of SF moved to DFW and now back in SF, CA, USA
Default Re: How many of you have *converted* from the domestic side? (NagChampa)

you sir are an idiot...

not all old cars are bad handlers....

and guess what... 20 years from now... people are going to say how horrid your Teg handled
Nag is right! Check out the 60's Trans Am Races and Nascar races. The Superbird was designed in a wind tunnel for better aerodynamics on the race track.

I like character of the older cars. Plus they have room in the engine bay to work in!
Old 12-18-2001, 12:02 AM
Better than steak

Default Re: How many of you have *converted* from the domestic side? (Gee3)

I grew up in South texas in the open country and all we had were Ford trucks and Cummings diesels. Im kinda the odd ball in my family because I drove a honda. I always loved the CRX, then the 92-95 civic EX but I never did get one. So when I was finaly able to buy a car I chose the Gsr. Now my family is somewhat a honda family with my sisters 98 Ex, Moms Passport, and future bro in law's Crx(that I sold him.)

But I think my next vehicle is gonna be a truck or a big V8 like something with a LS1 in it. But I will always have my hondas...

art
Old 12-18-2001, 02:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How many of you have *converted* from the domestic side? (RealTegGirl)

damn....wish i coulda influenced my ex into gettin into imports
Old 12-18-2001, 02:56 AM
New User

Default Re: How many of you have *converted* from the domestic side? ([626]JDM-b16a-EF9)

I have yet to be truely converted. I am and always will be a Bowtie freak. I love Chevys. I just happen to have broadened my horizons by liking imports now too.
Old 12-18-2001, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How many of you have *converted* from the domestic side? (SamuraiJack)

This is my first import
I owned a

62 impala
66 impala
85 topaz
90 probe
96 civic

so I went chevy, chevy, ford, ford, honda.