Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Community Forums > General Discussion and Debate
Reload this Page >

Houston Area members - 55mph speed limit and strict emissions testing on the way...

Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Houston Area members - 55mph speed limit and strict emissions testing on the way...

Old 07-20-2001, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Houston Area members - 55mph speed limit and strict emissions testing on the way...

Looks like May 1 of 2002, the speed limit will be rolled back to 55mph in an effort to reduce NOx emissions by 75% (90% of the 75% NOx emissions reduction is from industrial/commercial regulations). Strict Emissions testing will begin at the same time for Harris county, and will begin in 2003 for surrounding counties. Chambers and Waller counties will begin testing in 2004. Modding cars is going to be really fun now... . Well at least I will soon have a Tacoma and not worry about having the Integra be legal or registered... But the 55mph will sure seem sloooooow. I wonder how strict they are going to be on enforcement of this? I mean, most everyone around here was going 60-65 back when the limits were 55mph and there didn't seemed to be any problem with it - it was the normal flow of traffic and you would see the Hwy patrol just cruising along at the same pace minding their own business usually.

[Modified by Vracer111, 10:02 AM 7/20/2001]
Old 07-20-2001, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Houston Area members - 55mph speed limit and strict emissions testing on the way... (Vracer111)

I'll probably get bashed for this, but GOOD!!! I drive about 65 on I45 anyway, people just drive too fast around here. Especially those SUV drivers Who wants to be the smog capital of the US?? It'll be just safer to drive on the freeways now
Old 07-20-2001, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Houston Area members - 55mph speed limit and strict emissions testing on the way... (YellowStrea

The speed limit on most of I-45 is 70mph BTW, as long as you're in the right hand lane going 65 that's fine with me...Most of the time I cruise at 75-80 which is the traffic flow speed for the most part. Going nearly 30miles along I-45 every weekend at 55mph will be torture! And talking about those SUV drivers, I almost had a SUV driver sideswipe me along I-45 once. The driver came up the onramp and proceeded to cross all three lanes at once...forced me off into the emergency lane... When will people learn to drive properly (one lane at a time - and use your signals! Most importantly though, pay attention to the flow of traffic - don't cause stupid 'accidents'...)

55mph isn't any safer than 70 though (I've researched the 'safe' Speed Limit issue - If you want I can fill up an entire thread on it... ). What would be far safer is less differences in speeds (like less of those people who drive 45mph in the middle lane and those 85-90 mph whackos who come up on you in any lane....). More uniformity in traffic flow (say everyone following the correct distance and going about 75) would be nice. So would stricter liscensing requirements.

I do think that if 55mph does produce less NOx emissions then it would be good to have the speed limits set to 55mph for a while. Then when the roads have been fixed, liscensing standards are better, and aftermarket zero-emission systems are available the speed limits could be upped again!
Old 07-20-2001, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Houston Area members - 55mph speed limit and strict emissions testing on the way... (YellowStrea

hehe, and all you texan people thought you had it good.

Just wait until they roll out T.A.R.B (Texas air resource board)