Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Home video surveillance options

Old 07-12-2017, 03:16 PM
HT Order of Merit

Default Re: Home video surveillance options

RG59 cable (the Siamese analog w/ power) is relatively easy to conceal especially if you have siding. Don't have to worry about batteries or turn-on delays or any of that ****... PoE is awesome, but its not cheap enough to justify spending all of that money on an NVR system and 1000ft of Cat5e IMO, unless you want to be "future proof" - at least relatively.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:47 PM
NrG

not a fan of wifi security cameras. Just get it done right and hardware with cat5 cables using a NVR unit and 2mp cameras. You'll thank yourself in the long run. No batteries, up keep, accessories, solar panels, etc.

1000ft of Cat5e is also CHEAP. 40 dollar spool last time I purchased.
4 2mp camera 8 channel 1TB NVR system are around 500ish.

btw, a simple wifi injection to your home wifi can knock off your cameras to your router.
Mr. Robot style breaking into your home lol
Old 07-12-2017, 03:51 PM
GDD Member

I don't understand this, so can someone please explain.

We have miniature cameras that people attach to the fins of sharks or dolphins and pick up in a few weeks after GPS locating the shark or dolphin. The camera shows full 1080p resolution deep under salt water and sometimes there's even some decent audio to go along with it.

Then we have security cameras. These things are wired into the buildings they're attached to, so there's no need for batteries, but it doesn't matter if it's in a bank that holds millions of dollars or 213374U's driveway that houses hundreds of dollars worth of Honda Civic, the quality always looks like ****.

Sup with that?
Old 07-12-2017, 03:55 PM
NrG

Originally Posted by slomofo View Post

We have miniature cameras that people attach to the fins of sharks or dolphins and pick up in a few weeks after GPS locating the shark or dolphin. The camera shows full 1080p resolution deep under salt water and sometimes there's even some decent audio to go along with it.

Then we have security cameras. These things are wired into the buildings they're attached to, so there's no need for batteries, but it doesn't matter if it's in a bank that holds millions of dollars or 213374U's driveway that houses hundreds of dollars worth of Honda Civic, the quality always looks like ****.

Sup with that?
those camera at the bank or building you're talking about are analog camera that uses rg59. basiclly tube tv quality non HD. TVL960 quality.
action cameras are digital camera that uses cameras like in cell phone and are stored locally on SD cards and processed through software.

Two different technology.

they do sell action camera quality that's for security. drop cam, arlo (like the OP got), etc.

2mp POE cameras are the latest type of security camera that uses digital cameras and tranfer digital signa through a cat5 cable to a receiver

analog tvl420

720p analog i think.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:59 PM
GDD Lonely Krew

Sup with that?
I know you dont know me very well but I will try to help...

Security systems work all day, every day, and eat up bandwidth on networks. And they need storage to go along with all of that data. So if you had hi-res cameras everywhere you would overload your network and fill up your NVRs (network video recorders) in no time. Security cameras are purposely speced out to only be as hi-res as necessary.

Also, anyone who knows photography can tell you what makes the image is the lens. And nobody is really going to have an expensive lens on a security camera that does nothing but record the same corner of a room all day every day. The MP count really doesn't mean much unless you are going to be enlarging the image
Old 07-12-2017, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sup with that?

What camera's are you referring to? Any and all IP MP camera's that I've fooled with, installed, all had quality video. Not all camera's were built with the same functions or lens so keep that in mind. Not everybody run's a NVR either, they either use Blue Iris that runs on a desktop, or workstation, to record videos. You want audio, you'll have to dig further on which IP camera has that function.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:08 PM
0x5359-0055

doesn't matter if it's in a bank that holds millions of dollars or 213374U's driveway that houses hundreds of dollars worth of Honda Civic,

Odds are that the system I have is probably around 15 years old, but it's fine for what it does and what it's protecting (hundreds of dollars worth of Honda Civic). If something happens around here or goes missing, I can go back and see what happened and maybe get an idea of who to look for, otherwise it just sits in my closet recording away constantly recording over the oldest data. But without it I would have to rely on a neighbor maybe seeing something, which is unlikely. Quality is fine for my needs.

Planning to put a Skybell or similar in though and definitely want better res on that.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:10 PM
HT Order of Merit

Originally Posted by NrG View Post
not a fan of wifi security cameras. Just get it done right and hardware with cat5 cables using a NVR unit and 2mp cameras. You'll thank yourself in the long run. No batteries, up keep, accessories, solar panels, etc.

btw, a simple wifi injection to your home wifi can knock off your cameras to your router.
Good point. I bought 1000 ft of Cat5e for less than 100$ If I recall correctly. I always keep that stuff handy - monoprice.com
Old 07-12-2017, 04:12 PM
HT Order of Merit

Sup with that?
I think you know the answer. The scientists spare no expense... those cameras they use cannot be bought at your local BestBuy. Although, GoPro's come close. But those have to be retrieved and the video downloaded from the SD card usually.

Consumers on the other hand, generally opt for the cheapest solution which equals shitty quality, no or horrible night vision and garbage DVR software.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:14 PM
0x5359-0055

Originally Posted by JDM_Ej View Post
Consumers on the other hand, generally opt for the cheapest solution
Free-fiddy pretty cheap
Old 07-12-2017, 05:07 PM
Will you make something up for me please?

Originally Posted by NrG View Post

Yeah, the materials are cheap, but I have stucco all around. It is going to cost a lot to get a professional to wire stuff in the home I'm thinking.

I also don't intend to live here for more than ~5-7 years.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:12 PM
BMW GŁdentyte

Arlo Basic subscription is 7 days 1GB cloud storage.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:19 PM
GDD Member

Originally Posted by shamoo View Post
Yeah, the materials are cheap, but I have stucco all around. It is going to cost a lot to get a professional to wire stuff in the home I'm thinking.

I also don't intend to live here for more than ~5-7 years.
Call a cable or satellite TV installer, you'd be surprised how cheap it can be.

A DirecTV subcontract installer (he only does DirecTV but doesn't work for them) did the camera system at one of my storage units. It was eight cameras total, five mounted into the cinder block walls, two were on roof overhangs, and one was inside facing the glass entry door. There's a 9th camera on a light post at the back end of the parking lot. The DirecTV guy did all the cameras except the light post and charged me $250. The light post camera was already there when I moved in and that camera is ******* badass, it's motion activated and motion tracking with auto zoom. I was told it's like an $800 camera. My entire 8 camera set up was $200 and it looks like 1980s VHS camcorder quality. Since I run poker games out of this place, the blurry imagery is perfect for my needs.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 07-13-2017, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The deer was already there when it started recording, probably could've stole your **** and ran off by the time it start recording.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018 View Post
The deer was already there when it started recording, probably could've stole your **** and ran off by the time it start recording.
i have more video before that one. Thats just a clip.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:40 AM

Call a cable or satellite TV installer, you'd be surprised how cheap it can be.

A DirecTV subcontract installer (he only does DirecTV but doesn't work for them) did the camera system at one of my storage units. It was eight cameras total, five mounted into the cinder block walls, two were on roof overhangs, and one was inside facing the glass entry door. There's a 9th camera on a light post at the back end of the parking lot. The DirecTV guy did all the cameras except the light post and charged me $250. The light post camera was already there when I moved in and that camera is ******* badass, it's motion activated and motion tracking with auto zoom. I was told it's like an $800 camera. My entire 8 camera set up was $200 and it looks like 1980s VHS camcorder quality. Since I run poker games out of this place, the blurry imagery is perfect for my needs.
Hm, maybe I'll try calling some people.

I don't mind spending money on a good system, but I don't like spending a lot money on labor.

My main gripe now is that anyone can easily just steal the cameras. There are no mounts from Arlo which are theft proof.

I went to Ace Hardware yesterday to get a 1/4" -20 bolt (same as a camera tripod) and a security cable. But the damn bolt depth on the Arlo is like literally 5-6mm. And it is no longer underneath the camera on the Pro line. It is on the rear, which gets in the way of any mount you would use.

I might return the Arlo system because of that alone.

EDIT: Here's the rear of the camera where the bolt hole is now. It is maybe 5-6mm at best. The shortest bolt I could find was 5/16 or 1/2. Still way too long. Even if I put a nut there as a spacer, it would get in the way of the mount itself.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

da hell, there are mounts. go on amazon dude. **** those magnets.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:54 AM

da hell, there are mounts. go on amazon dude. **** those magnets.
Like real camera ones right? Can you show me a good one? I looked, but didn't see any I thought would work well.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

got you dude

Amazon Amazon

Also read this to confirm that any secured cctv mount is compatible.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arl...light/true#M23
Old 07-13-2017, 08:04 AM
Imgur Lives Matter

but you can still just unscrew the camera by hand
Old 07-13-2017, 08:11 AM

got you dude

https://www.amazon.com/iAbler-Securi.../dp/B01LYVZ035

Also read this to confirm that any secured cctv mount is compatible.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arl...light/true#M23
Yeah, I saw almost all the links on the Netgear community forums. I have this mount already, it was included. You can just unscrew the camera. Just hold the camera and turn it. Or turn those big "wing nuts" and the entire thing comes off.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:16 AM
0x5359-0055

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, mine are the same way. One would hope that the recording of someone taking the camera would be available so you could take action after the fact.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're looking for a lockbox type, you still have to screw the lockbox in.............
Old 07-13-2017, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shamoo View Post
Yeah, I saw almost all the links on the Netgear community forums. I have this mount already, it was included. You can just unscrew the camera. Just hold the camera and turn it. Or turn those big "wing nuts" and the entire thing comes off.
Not sure if the ones that came with the kit are plastic but the ones I linked are alluminum.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Home video surveillance options

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.