Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Home video surveillance options

Old 06-29-2017, 11:13 AM
BMW GŁdentyte

Default Re: Home video surveillance options

I have the wireless Arlo since February (cuz Costco) and it's pretty good for what it's intended to do. I have the settings set to best battery life and my front camera that pretty much captures all the movement from cars to mailman to solocitors who knocks on the door lasted 4 months of battery. I've had this since February and the other camera still at 50% battery life. Motion is captured for 10 sec. and I get both an email and a popup alert on my phone.

im thinking of buying the rechargeable batteries that Arlo just came out with.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:16 AM
Will you make something up for me please?

Originally Posted by BLKMamba View Post
I have the wireless Arlo since February (cuz Costco) and it's pretty good for what it's intended to do. I have the settings set to best battery life and my front camera that pretty much captures all the movement from cars to mailman to solocitors who knocks on the door lasted 4 months of battery. I've had this since February and the other camera still at 50% battery life. Motion is captured for 10 sec. and I get both an email and a popup alert on my phone.

im thinking of buying the rechargeable batteries that Arlo just came out with.
Thanks! That's what I wanted to know. I'm concerned that if I put a camera (at the door for example), the battery would die in a week. But it looks like yours has lasted quite a while. I might want to set mine higher than 10 seconds though, but still that might last a long time so that's good.

The new rechargable ones are like square and not those CR123A ones so not sure it will fit.

You have the Arlo Pro? Or the regular?
Old 06-29-2017, 11:21 AM
0x5359-0055

Originally Posted by 90hatch94dsm View Post
10/10 subtle sperry flaunt kyle
Old 06-29-2017, 11:25 AM
aka DaZman69!

Also consider wildlife game cameras, they are super small now and obviously self contained and incredibly simple, great night vision too. I plant one at properties when I have a reoccuring issue.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:21 PM
BMW GŁdentyte

Originally Posted by shamoo View Post
Thanks! That's what I wanted to know. I'm concerned that if I put a camera (at the door for example), the battery would die in a week. But it looks like yours has lasted quite a while. I might want to set mine higher than 10 seconds though, but still that might last a long time so that's good.

The new rechargable ones are like square and not those CR123A ones so not sure it will fit.

That's exactly where my first camera is mounted. Above the front door which gives me 180 degree view including my mailbox. The other is in the backyard. Motion is also triggered by audio so if you have a neighbor with a catless gt350R, that'll get captured. Your settings will depend on battery life. Not sure about the battery dying in a week but It will kill your battery quickly if you set it for best video quality and a max record time 120 second and live streaming. Even if it's set to the lowest video quality, it's not pixelated. I was also very surprise how strong the magnet mount holds the camera. It held up pretty well during our NorCal winter storm and not a single strong wind knock the camera down.

I have the Arlo standard kit that came with 2 HD cameras which came with the CR123a batteries. I didn't notice the Arlo Pro at Costco at that time so I'm guessing this is the new additional bundle Arlo is offering. I'm definitely ordering the rechargeable batteries for mine.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 213374U View Post
I knew there was a recent thread about this.

Just threw this up this past Saturday, had a bunch of equipment in boxes that my dad gave me some time ago. All PoE wired, haven't set up the network connection for remote viewing yet but will get there.

brah...those are not poe. cnc connections, tvl
Old 06-29-2017, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

arlo pro has batteries included
you record to local storage BUT you cant view them remotely.
alot of tinkering to get the settings you need while trying to conserve battery life
solar panel coming soon
Old 06-29-2017, 03:56 PM
BMW GŁdentyte

^ not sure if Sirius ...

lulz

didnt want to run wires in the attic. Arlo delivered a true wireless and a cloud base storage which can be accessed anywhere.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:15 PM

I think the Arlo (the Pro at least does I think) has a USB port in the back of the base station. They say you can put an external hard drive on there to store feeds? Wonder if that negates the need to actually pay for additional storage?
Old 06-29-2017, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Like I said, you can record to local storage, but you can't view it. Netgear only gives you 7 days of viewing pleasure of what THEY have. Your local storage will have to be removed from the station, plugged into your pc, and review from there.

and yes, solar panel coming soon.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:05 AM
I really don't know

I got 4 ARLO cameras at a black friday sale.

I installed one of them and it's very user friendly.

You can add people to your list to receive updates of the camera being triggered.

you can schedule when you want the camera to have motion sensing.

Wireless is also a plus.

The Arlo will shoot multiple videos. For example, if I trigger it entering the house, taking off my shoes, and then walking to the living room, it will shoot 10- second clips for the duration that I am in the area.

My wife is also alerted to her phone and can see me when I return home if I return within that scheduled time.

I can view multiple videos dating back a couple weeks in the library on the app.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:55 AM
No Jodas

Amazon Amazon

I bought this one for my parents house. The cameras are great quality, have night vision, and everything is wirelessly connected via WiFi. It also allows you to access the cameras via a phone App and their website. So far so good.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:19 AM

Update...

So I bought the Arlo Pro 3 camera deal (including a 4th rechargable battery) from Coscto's Slickdeals link. Was $449 or something. Currently placed the camera in random locations just to test alerting and motion capture.

So far I've noticed a few good things and a few bad things:

GOOD:
* Quality is pretty good for in-home use and you can easily recognize faces, car models, etc. It can't really read a license plate well at all, but that isn't my intention.
* Easy setup. Hook it up to router/Internet, press a couple of sync buttons, and you're done.
* Each camera can be individually set and configured. You can even go so far as say, "If backyard camera 1 picks up audio, start recording video and audio at front door camera 2".
* It has both video and audio (even a microphone I can talk into) for each camera.
* It has the option to turn on for motion detection and audio detection (or both).
* Recording length is set from 10 seconds to 120 seconds, which is enough for most situations.
* Price is good for a full wireless system, if you don't want to hard wire things.
* Lots of accessories and add-ons you can buy. Everything from extra mounts, skins, etc.
* You can hook an external drive to the base station to store basically as much data as you want. However you can't remotely view it. Isn't a big deal since the free plan gives you 7 days of cloud storage online. You can pay for additional storage if you like.
* Not much instructions included, but you don't need them. They give you a quick start guide, but everything is done in the app. Their forums are very helpful too.

BAD (and potentially some of these simply require additional configuration on my part):
* There is a noticeable delay between picking up motion and starting to record. I placed one camera inside, facing the backyard sliding doors (I intend to put this camera outside eventually). My wife walked past across the field of view and it started to record AFTER she passed it. I guess it makes sense since it took her maybe 2 seconds to pass. I don't think the camera is designed to pick up that quickly.
* There are no detection zones because those typically require power feeds to the camera, since it requires the camera to continuously run vs. just turn on during motion capture.
* If you set the recording length for 30 seconds and 30 seconds is over, there is another slight delay before it starts to record again. So if you're moving in front of the camera for 1 minute, after the first 30 seconds, you will miss some action until the next 30 second section starts to record.
* There is really no SECURE way to mount the camera. Anyone can just go up to it and unscrew it by hand or pull it off the magnetic mount. There are some forum posts out there where people rigged up janky ways to secure the camera. I'm checking those out.

OKAY.jpg:
* If you walk straight toward the camera, sometimes it won't pick up motion until the last moment. You actually have to pass across the motion detection sensor for it to pick up motion the best. Have to make sure you position the cameras accordingly.
* App is a little weird. Sometimes it doesn't update.
* You can't share logins for the app/website interface. If my wife logs in using the same username as me, it'll log me out. That is fine, but it just means she has to start her own account and set up her notifications.
* There is a lot of initial configuration setup with the app, related to how you want things to work.

STILL NEED TO FIGURE OUT:
* Differences between battery life and the 3 levels of video quality options. I have it currently set it in the middle which "optimizes battery life and video quality".
* How I will mount it securely to the front door without someone just walking up and stealing the camera.
* You get 7 days of free cloud storage, but how much in terms of size? What if I record the full 120 seconds on every camera with full video quality in an area with a lot of activity? Is there a storage size limit or is it only measured in days?
Old 07-12-2017, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I believe you can configure the sensitivity of each sensor, that might help with it picking up motion/audio better and start recording. Also ensure the signal is good and the camera isn't too far from the base. You can record longer than 120 by adjusting that to record until no more motion. Again, you can record to local usb drive.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:35 AM
Reborn_

I'm sure you can edit the sensitivity to pick up motion better. I played around with a $70 foscam and it was flawless with motion detection.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by tony_2018 View Post
I believe you can configure the sensitivity of each sensor, that might help with it picking up motion/audio better and start recording. Also ensure the signal is good and the camera isn't too far from the base. You can record longer than 120 by adjusting that to record until no more motion. Again, you can record to local usb drive.
Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
I'm sure you can edit the sensitivity to pick up motion better. I played around with a $70 foscam and it was flawless with motion detection.
Yep, you can. It is defaulted at 80%. I changed it to 100%. I think the testing locations I have them set up at currently aren't the best.

Tony, I did see you can set it to record until motion stops (or a max of 300 seconds). I'm wary about doing that now because it might kill the battery. However, once I place them in their final locations I might do that. They will be going in locations that don't get much activity.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Shouldnt your cameras be aimed towards the entry points in your house??

I mean its nice looking at your lawn and stuff, but if someone breaks into your house wouldn't you want them on camera actually breaking in, not just walking through your yard...
Old 07-12-2017, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by EGRhatch View Post
Shouldnt your cameras be aimed towards the entry points in your house??

I mean its nice looking at your lawn and stuff, but if someone breaks into your house wouldn't you want them on camera actually breaking in, not just walking through your yard...
Yes, they will be. I just bought them yesterday and I'm testing them. Hell, one of them is in the bedroom right now.

One of the main entry points (besides the front door) will be through the backyard area/gate/patio.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yep, you can. It is defaulted at 80%. I changed it to 100%. I think the testing locations I have them set up at currently aren't the best.

Tony, I did see you can set it to record until motion stops (or a max of 300 seconds). I'm wary about doing that now because it might kill the battery. However, once I place them in their final locations I might do that. They will be going in locations that don't get much activity.
In places with high traffic, look to a solar panel to charge the battery, coming soon.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Because I have an alarm with motion sensor, glass sensor and window sensors I didn't put a camera inside covering the entire living room but it would be a good idea to do so incase someone has already broken inside and you want to know where they are going, that way you can point your gun at the wall and fire. LOL, ok I kid cuz you might get into a lawsuit.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:38 AM
Imgur Lives Matter

you can get camera/motion sensor combos. Creeped out the wife though so we didn't upgrade.

I'm most surprised shamoo you didn't have it done during construction.

I figured you for a cat5 all the things guy

yes because asian
Old 07-12-2017, 11:13 AM

In places with high traffic, look to a solar panel to charge the battery, coming soon.
The Arlo/Netgear solar panel is already out. It is $70. Might get it, maybe.

Originally Posted by 90hatch94dsm View Post
you can get camera/motion sensor combos. Creeped out the wife though so we didn't upgrade.

I'm most surprised shamoo you didn't have it done during construction.

I figured you for a cat5 all the things guy

yes because asian
Because the builder wanted to charge like $8K or something like that. Plus you had to use whatever camera system they had.

I do have Cat5e wired in every room already, but at floor level.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hell, one of them is in the bedroom right now.
LOL

OR
IB4

OR

Old 07-12-2017, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The Arlo/Netgear solar panel is already out. It is $70. Might get it, maybe.

Because the builder wanted to charge like $8K or something like that. Plus you had to use whatever camera system they had.

I do have Cat5e wired in every room already, but at floor level.
**** that, I would've told the builders "hold the **** off, I'm running cable".
Old 07-12-2017, 12:52 PM

**** that, I would've told the builders "hold the **** off, I'm running cable".
I wish. They strict as hell over there. There's this company that basically owns the entire town. Close ties to like every utility and big corporation in the area.

I couldn't even get the local workers there to give me an extra towel holder if I gave them $20 (I wanted it to match vs. buying a random one from Home Depot).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Home video surveillance options

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.