Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Home video surveillance options

Old 06-21-2017, 09:36 AM
Will you make something up for me please?

Default Home video surveillance options

Search didn't bring up any recent topics so I'm starting a new one.

I'm looking into some basic (hopefully a no fee-based system) home video surveillance setup. YouTube has a ton of videos and it is almost too much to look at. There are small Netgear/Arlo units for a few hundred dollars, Samsung makes them, Nest makes them, and then you have the full on wired solutions with DVRs (that you sometimes see at Costco).

My goals:
* No monthly fee through outside vendor
* Night/IR capability
* Mobile viewing/access
* Motion detection enabled as well as live feed
* Can be installed cleanly
* Sound would be good, but not absolutely necessary
* Only need maybe 2 cameras inside and 1 or 2 cameras outside

I would prefer for the units to be wireless because then I suppose I would have to pay someone to professionally wire it into my home? How much does that cost usually? Like a few hundred or a few thousand? I have no idea. I would be okay if someone charged me $1000 to internally wire cameras in my home, but I have a feeling it might be more than that?

The Netgear/Arlo units my friend has seems to be good, but I get a feeling that isn't a "real" camera system. It operates on batteries that last for several months. It lasts longer if it is on motion detection activation only. But what if I put it somewhere where cars are driving by often? Would that kill the battery in a week? Theirs is currently no-fee, but it only records up to 7 days (I think) of activity. If you want cloud storage, then there's a monthly fee.

What do you guys use?

Old 06-21-2017, 09:39 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Home video surveillance options

nobody robs Asians in Irvine.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:45 AM
Imgur Lives Matter

We have a single camera and a doorbell camera, our internet barely supports one camera.

It works OK at best.

There are much better options than ours so I'll just leave it at that

https://youtu.be/pXPNDyCKF4E

https://youtu.be/3tjGhdVP2zM
Old 06-21-2017, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by 90hatch94dsm View Post
We have a single camera and a doorbell camera, our internet barely supports one camera.

It works OK at best.

There are much better options than ours so I'll just leave it at that
Thanks. Would you mind sharing which camera/brand you have and what you paid? So I have a reference point?
Old 06-21-2017, 09:52 AM
Imgur Lives Matter

Originally Posted by shamoo View Post
Thanks. Would you mind sharing which camera/brand you have and what you paid? So I have a reference point?
All our home automation is done through our electric co-op (technically all alarm.com) so we're limited to things that are compatible with that in order to keep it all contained in one app like I want (locks/lights/garage/cameras etc)

So the driveway camera is this:

Amazon Amazon

And the doorbell is a SkyBell

SkyBell WiFi Doorbell - Answer door from smartphone

its my understanding that our internet (DSL!) is what really limits the quality, but it makes us feel better than nothing.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

we have this setup around our house/farm:
Amazon Amazon

ive only had it for a couple of months, but so far so good.
i like that is had built in motion detection and email alerts.
the IR has good visibility
i wish the distance was a bit better - but that likely has more to do with metal buildings and camera placement on my part.

IMO, for $200, its hard to beat.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by ford9n View Post
we have this setup around our house/farm:
https://www.amazon.com/Zmodo-Definit...0GB+Hard+Drive

ive only had it for a couple of months, but so far so good.
i like that is had built in motion detection and email alerts.
the IR has good visibility
i wish the distance was a bit better - but that likely has more to do with metal buildings and camera placement on my part.

IMO, for $200, its hard to beat.
That does look good. I like how it backs up to a hard drive that you keep in your own home (vs. some cloud service you pay for).

However, you have to plug each camera in so it would have to be wired.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:11 AM
Bloody Beaver

I have a network of 5 cameras that the PO installed. Not sure the brand though...
Old 06-21-2017, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm about ready to get the Arlo Pro:

Amazon Amazon

I really like the completely wireless aspect and reviews across the board seem to be positive. The "Pro" version also allows for local storage, which is great in my opinion. A little more on the pricey side but I think it may be worth it from an ease of use perspective. We shall see.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shamoo View Post
That does look good. I like how it backs up to a hard drive that you keep in your own home (vs. some cloud service you pay for).

However, you have to plug each camera in so it would have to be wired.
any camera is gonna require power. either via power over ethernet or via some ac/dc transformer. with PoE you are limited to the length of cable and the available PoE ports on your switch. with a/c power you are limited to where you have power (which can be fixed with an extension cord)
for us, we have cameras on our home, the main barn and the milk parlor - so either way we wouldnt have been able to use PoE.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by BeeResp0nsible View Post
I'm about ready to get the Arlo Pro:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LWS96JV...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I really like the completely wireless aspect and reviews across the board seem to be positive. The "Pro" version also allows for local storage, which is great in my opinion. A little more on the pricey side but I think it may be worth it from an ease of use perspective. We shall see.
The Arlo Pro really has good reviews too.

I only worry about:
* You can easily steal the camera if it is mounted outside your front door.
* Only 7 days storage. This doesn't mean 168 hours of continuous video. It means if you have only 5 minutes of video for 1 day, that means that's 1 day used up. It is also 7 days total, not per camera.
* Wireless and being on battery is nice, but batteries run out. Several months it lasts it says, but what if you place it in an area with a lot of movement? Will it use up the battery in a week or less?
Old 06-21-2017, 10:24 AM
Imgur Lives Matter

If you're shooting for POE, it may be worth having an electrician come and look. If you've got lights at each door it should be fairly simple for them to snake a wired solution assuming you have typical soffits, I'm not sure about your construction though.

We got lucky because our security system was installed while the house was being built, so everything is hardwired.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its likely to be ~$800+ to have someone come and install cameras in/around your house.

we just drilled a hold small enough for the USB cable to poke up into the attic and connected it back to he mains from there.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I got the Amcrest 960H from amazon. Comes with 4 cameras, 500gb HD. It was ~$180 when I got it. Has pretty clear video, no sound though. Can remote in from computer or phone to view or turn off and on motion sensor settings etc. Really east to setup. Wires about 100ft long so I was able to get to all 4 corners of my house without extension cables and simply tucking the cable into the siding of the house. It sounds difficult but it's actually really easy to wire up. It's just a matter of choosing where you want the home base to be.

So far so good!

Here's a screenshot of feed

Old 06-21-2017, 11:04 AM
Reborn_

If I decide to do this in my home, I will run wiring myself and build a computer capable to continuously record. I will either manually (or write a script) delete videos older than x weeks assuming no crimes occurred (lol). All one time cost and no subscription fee (I'm with you on that aspect).

Something to consider is getting a camera that is powered by cable but has batteries for backup (and UPS for the computer in my case) , in case the criminals switch your main breaker.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
If I decide to do this in my home, I will run wiring myself and build a computer capable to continuously record. I will either manually (or write a script) delete videos older than x weeks assuming no crimes occurred (lol). All one time cost and no subscription fee (I'm with you on that aspect).

Something to consider is getting a camera that is powered by cable but has batteries for backup (and UPS for the computer in my case) , in case the criminals switch your main breaker.
The system I have is set to record continuously and just overwrites the oldest footage when its full. Its about a weeks worth, haven't checked though. You can upgrade storage easily as well.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:18 AM
Reborn_

Originally Posted by LightningTeg View Post
The system I have is set to record continuously and just overwrites the oldest footage when its full. Its about a weeks worth, haven't checked though. You can upgrade storage easily as well.
Yea, exactly. I'll be in a gated community though, so not sure I need this level of paranoia
Old 06-21-2017, 11:41 AM
Swaggylicious

I got 2 chiner IP cams from slickdeals

an amcrest for the porch and a foscam to watch the kittehs

sucks i gotta use 2 different apps on my phone to view them tho. Functionality of the apps are kinda meh as well
Old 06-21-2017, 11:41 AM
Mr. Koy Noi

2 dogs

They're wireless and you can hug them.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:45 AM
Keyboard Humorist

Side question -
If going PoE wired, would a switch like this be a correct method for separating the surveillance from the main home network?
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0001-_-Product
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-122-_-Product

Was thinking I might need a second router to add a subnet.
Did some reading a bit here and there that setting up a VLAN to separate the surveillance from the rest of the network.
Apparently 'smart' or 'managed' switches can do a VLAN.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:28 AM

Bumping this because Costco has the Arlo Pro 3 camera setup for $449.99 and free shipping. Also comes with an extra battery beyond what you normally get.

About $100 less than anywhere else currently.

https://slickdeals.net/f/10294496-ar...d-base-station
Old 06-29-2017, 10:36 AM
0x5359-0055

I knew there was a recent thread about this.

Just threw this up this past Saturday, had a bunch of equipment in boxes that my dad gave me some time ago. All PoE wired, haven't set up the network connection for remote viewing yet but will get there.
Attached Images     
Old 06-29-2017, 10:50 AM
aka DaZman69!

Go POE

The issue is power, since you need to provide them with wiring for power anyway, might as well do it through POE so you get the benefits of a wired connection.

There will be no standard installation cost as there will be vastly different amounts of difficulty to wire up. Depending on where you want the cameras, it would probably be fairly easy to run them yourself. All you need to do is get an ethernet cable from the camera location to wherever your box is. Assuming you have a pitched roof with an attic, you can always go up to the attic through a central location in your house, and then have the wires come out of the attic. Or depending on your siding, you could just go out at the top of your foundation and then shove the wires behind say vinyl siding. Either way, not too difficult.

As for the hardware, I went with sort of expensive commercial stuff for a 12 camera system, so I'm not the best to ask for that. A lot of them come without hard-drives. I just bought a couple 3TB hd's off of new-egg, I get like an entire year of recording with 12 cameras at 1.3MP. It was more recording time than I was expecting.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by sflkgjsfndgn View Post
Go POE

The issue is power, since you need to provide them with wiring for power anyway, might as well do it through POE so you get the benefits of a wired connection.

There will be no standard installation cost as there will be vastly different amounts of difficulty to wire up. Depending on where you want the cameras, it would probably be fairly easy to run them yourself. All you need to do is get an ethernet cable from the camera location to wherever your box is. Assuming you have a pitched roof with an attic, you can always go up to the attic through a central location in your house, and then have the wires come out of the attic. Or depending on your siding, you could just go out at the top of your foundation and then shove the wires behind say vinyl siding. Either way, not too difficult.

As for the hardware, I went with sort of expensive commercial stuff for a 12 camera system, so I'm not the best to ask for that. A lot of them come without hard-drives. I just bought a couple 3TB hd's off of new-egg, I get like an entire year of recording with 12 cameras at 1.3MP. It was more recording time than I was expecting.
That is my dilemma. To get wiring to the units, I'll have to get a cabling guy to come in. And I don't know the cost of that yet. I've heard anywhere from $100 to $300 per camera.

In my home there's really no easy way for a homeowner to wire it. We have multiple firestops between almost every stud and the attic space is basically only at the top floor in a small area (mainly for the HVAC unit).

I would of course prefer a PoE system.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:08 AM
Imgur Lives Matter

10/10 subtle sperry flaunt kyle

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Home video surveillance options

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.