Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Home sale scam?

Old 03-06-2019, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Home sale scam?

I just got this text message an hour ago, from some unknown person with the same area code number as me: "Hey Patrick, this is out of the blue and we haven't met before, but I was wondering if you were interested in selling *my home address*. Is this the right person?"

We just signed mortgage refi docs last week, so this seems odd to be getting this now. Google searched the number and nothing meaningful came up. We do want to sell within the next 2 years to get into a different school district before my son moved up to middle school, but we're not ready to move right now especially since I'm not sure how much we can even afford with current rates.

What y'all think, scammer?
Old 03-06-2019, 06:44 AM
washuuu

Default Re: Home sale scam?

not scam, but likely a shady mass marketing campaign to try and buy your (and many other's) house for much less than market value.

Old 03-06-2019, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The timing makes it sound like a scam. What kind of person finds a random house, looks for the owner's information, and shoots them a text? That's not the way a homebuyer goes about things, at least I don't think they do.
aka DaZman69!

Probably a scam, but why not just call them and talk to them. Maybe they really do want the house and are willing to pay top dollar. Atleast listen to the voicemail. Odd you would not just respond to them before asking gdd
Risky Business

Originally Posted by mistersparco View Post
not scam, but likely a shady mass marketing campaign to try and buy your (and many other's) house for much less than market value.
This. Home sale data is public information, so a lot of companies bombard people who are selling/sold their homes with advertisements/offers.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:46 AM
Bloody Beaver

Yep, scam / spam
Old 03-06-2019, 06:55 AM
Risky Business

Originally Posted by sflkgjsfndgn View Post
Probably a scam, but why not just call them and talk to them. Maybe they really do want the house and are willing to pay top dollar. Atleast listen to the voicemail. Odd you would not just respond to them before asking gdd
Don't call them. The only way to get top dollar for your house is to list it on the open market properly on MLS. Any company advertising "we pay cash for houses" or something of the sort is only looking to flip it and will not give you top dollar.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:59 AM
Prairie Dog Breeder

Tell them you're going to sell their organs on the silk road for bitcoins and euros if they contact you again. Be firm but resistant.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

It’s a local real estate agent.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Titanium Member

If they're from Nigeria it's totally legit
Old 03-06-2019, 07:13 AM
Brrraaaap!

Originally Posted by mistersparco View Post
I get letters and calls to my *personal* cell which is very annoying. I tell them I will sell it for well over market value and they usually bug off.

Originally Posted by BauleyCivic View Post
Don't call them. The only way to get top dollar for your house is to list it on the open market properly on MLS. Any company advertising "we pay cash for houses" or something of the sort is only looking to flip it and will not give you top dollar.
This.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I usually try not to answer spam calls/texts because then they know it's an active number and I'll likely get even MORE crap. If it's a call I don't even reject the call, for the same reason. I just silence it, wait and then block the number. If I get any more texts from that number I'll probably just block it as well.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:17 AM
I said I don't want a title!

Originally Posted by 93Accord117 View Post
Tell them you're going to sell their organs on the silk road for bitcoins and euros if they contact you again. Be firm but resistant.

Glad you're back
Old 03-06-2019, 07:33 AM
BCICAN

Originally Posted by Blaze45 View Post
I get letters and calls to my *personal* cell which is very annoying.
Same. However I'm a little different in that I will gladly spend some time just to **** with them for my own amusement. For example, I had one guy trying to save me money on my electric bill but I needed to get some info off it for him. I told him to hang on and I'd go look. I set my phone down and continued with my job just to see how long it would take for him to realize I wasn't coming back. 6 minutes later he finally hung up and called back. I ignored so he called a 2nd time. I answered and he asked if I found it. I told him to keep holding because I was almost through the stack of papers. He replied, "**** you" and hung up lol.

I also just got done with a 1.5 month long love affair with a "Russian girl." We emailed daily and I tried see just how far over-the-top I could push things. I made a shrine for her and everything and after 1.5 months she eventually told me not to contact her again. I was actually disappointed because I wanted to keep it going. I will forever be curious to know who I was actually messaging. I'm thinking of compiling it all into a post just for looking back on it in the future.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dunc View Post
Same. However I'm a little different in that I will gladly spend some time just to **** with them for my own amusement. For example, I had one guy trying to save me money on my electric bill but I needed to get some info off it for him. I told him to hang on and I'd go look. I set my phone down and continued with my job just to see how long it would take for him to realize I wasn't coming back. 6 minutes later he finally hung up and called back. I ignored so he called a 2nd time. I answered and he asked if I found it. I told him to keep holding because I was almost through the stack of papers. He replied, "**** you" and hung up lol.

I also just got done with a 1.5 month long love affair with a "Russian girl." We emailed daily and I tried see just how far over-the-top I could push things. I made a shrine for her and everything and after 1.5 months she eventually told me not to contact her again. I was actually disappointed because I wanted to keep it going. I will forever be curious to know who I was actually messaging. I'm thinking of compiling it all into a post just for looking back on it in the future.
One of my guys has one of those "pay as you go" phones and he's always getting telemarketing calls. He always answers "Lee County Sheriff's Department, how may I direct your call?" and they most always hang up immediately.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

"Hey 'enter number here', you may not know me but how would you like for me to abduct you and sell your organs and relieve you of your conscious?"
Old 03-06-2019, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dunc View Post
that's friggen gold right there. I was LOL'ing at my office.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:21 AM
aka DaZman69!

Originally Posted by BauleyCivic View Post
they never said they were “cash for houses”

that’s also completely untrue in regards to the only way to get top dollar. There are boatloads of situations in which someone may be looking for your specific property and is willing to pay you more than market value.

business 101, never refuse to hear someone out because you think its probably bullshit (unless it’s like 100% gauranteed)

Learned that from someone with a ton of business experience, and I now sometimes actually listen to sales people and sometimes read junk mail. I’ve made a lot of good decisions doing just that.

OP call the guy back. He already has your number. Tell them to eat a dick on the 95% chance it’s bullshit.

Old 03-06-2019, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No one is going to randomly contact you to buy your home for anywhere near a decent price.

Especially since OP said he just filled Refi docs, we got so much crap when we refi'd out old house, just vultures.

For you to think otherwise Dazman, is just [email protected]
Old 03-06-2019, 10:30 AM
aka DaZman69!

Originally Posted by Mattb16teg View Post
No one is going to randomly contact you to buy your home for anywhere near a decent price.

Especially since OP said he just filled Refi docs, we got so much crap when we refi'd out old house, just vultures.

For you to think otherwise Dazman, is just [email protected]
I am a real estate investor for a living, it is not a side thing, it’s all I do. It happens all the time. You have no experience to say otherwise.

It it most likely bullshit, yes.
It is impossible, no.
Is it worth 2 minutes of your time to inquire, yes.

The only reason not to contact the person back is because you’re scared to be a dick to sales people.

Old 03-06-2019, 10:31 AM
Prairie Dog Breeder

Originally Posted by Todd00 View Post
Glad you're back
many thanks!!
Old 03-06-2019, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sflkgjsfndgn View Post
I am a real estate investor for a living, it is not a side thing, itís all I do. It happens all the time. You have no experience to say otherwise.
It it most likely bullshit, yes.
It is impossible, no.
Is it worth 2 minutes of your time to inquire, yes.
The only reason not to contact the person back is because youíre scared to be a dick to sales people.
Sure I do, I am a real estate investor, it's what I do!

But srs, I got these same calls and around here there are so many adverts for the same thing, everyone knows it's some BS.

"Hey, we will give you 200K cash for your 400K house"
Old 03-06-2019, 12:44 PM
I said I don't want a title!

Have a family friend that's a real estate agent. He's knocked on doors before/called numbers because one of his clients wanted to inquire about a house/piece of property (that wasn't for sale).

I assume that's perfectly legal, so yeah, there are legit times this actually happens.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:48 PM
BCICAN

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
that's friggen gold right there. I was LOL'ing at my office.
Enjoy another laugh...here is one of the pictures I sent to it [her]. This one was the shrine I made for her. I taped her picture to a barbie doll. The legs were spread open and arms reaching out for me by design lol. Have you thought about fielding your scammer's call? Perhaps you could make money on the deal? Cash only of course.

Old 03-06-2019, 12:53 PM
aka DaZman69!

Originally Posted by Todd00 View Post
Have a family friend that's a real estate agent. He's knocked on doors before/called numbers because one of his clients wanted to inquire about a house/piece of property (that wasn't for sale).

I assume that's perfectly legal, so yeah, there are legit times this actually happens.
exactly, there are people that specifically want “that” property because of location, timing, land, whatever. There are tons of legit reasons. While there are still way more bullshit marketing, it’s still worth an inquiry.

FYI the number one way hustling real estate brokers try to do business with me is find out I’m the owner of said property and then tell me
they have someone interested. It’s all bullshit they just want a listing from me. Infact I’ve never sold one that way. I always hear them out though. Just needs to be true once then my lifetime collective time of 8 hours spent listening to them makes me like $20k/hour (could be worth $10k or $500k depending on situation)

I also make a good connection, because those who are going to the lengths to track me down and annoy me, are probably some hustling *****’s, and that’s good whether I trust them or not.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.