Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOA says I can't wash my car

Old 02-04-2019, 11:44 AM
Drunk Wagon Pilot

Default Re: HOA says I can't wash my car

$6k will buy you:

-full paint correction
-ceramic coating
-interior coating
-$3k leftover for car washes for life
Old 02-04-2019, 11:44 AM
Will you make something up for me please?

Originally Posted by moopmoop View Post
hahahahah ceramic coat is not $6000
Originally Posted by Pinja View Post
whoever is charging you $6k for ceramic coating is greedy as ****
Originally Posted by b20sedan View Post
I think my buddy paid just under $3k for paint protection film on the front of his NSX & a complete ceramic coating application

Wait my mistake. Ceramic coating is about $3K. EDIT: Okay, maybe I need to look at this again.

Entire car PPF is about $5-6K. I did the front hood, fenders, lights, pillars, etc for about $1600. That was Xpel Ultimate or Suntek/Llumar.

Originally Posted by usdm420 View Post
What in the ever loving ****? My buddy who details for a living does it for $600 or so. And it's top notch.
Okay, maybe I'm thinking of something different.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea my friend had this same problem. so we washed the cars inside the garage lol

you cant wash or work on cars outside on the driveway

Old 02-04-2019, 11:48 AM
Cole Trickle

Originally Posted by shamoo View Post
Wait my mistake. Ceramic coating is about $3K. EDIT: Okay, maybe I need to look at this again.

Entire car PPF is about $5-6K. I did the front hood, fenders, lights, pillars, etc for about $1600. That was Xpel Ultimate or Suntek/Llumar.

Okay, maybe I'm thinking of something different.
It might be $6000 at the dealership because people who buy new porsches are wasps who have more money than brains?

You shouldn't be spending more than $1200 even to have an actual pro do it with the SoCal mark up.

Alternative option is to not wash the car every time you drive it. You live in a desert, accept the car will be dusty.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:50 AM
Drunk Wagon Pilot

Or get a car cover for when you have it parked in the garage
Old 02-04-2019, 11:56 AM
aka DaZman69!

Originally Posted by moopmoop View Post
It might be $6000 at the dealership because people who buy new porsches are wasps who have more money than brains?

You shouldn't be spending more than $1200 even to have an actual pro do it with the SoCal mark up.

Alternative option is to not wash the car every time you drive it. You live in a desert, accept the car will be dusty.
They are obviously including paint correction before the coating in that price.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:03 PM
aka DaZman69!

Yes, HOAs are terrible most of the time, but before everyone goes crazy...

After some Googling, turns out that in almost every jurisdiction in the USA, you are not supposed to wash your car where the water runoff goes into a storm drain. I didn't know this. Even safe water soluble soaps available today apparently can upset the environment (algae blooms, oxygen content in rivers/lakes, etc). This is new to me and quite upsetting since in my area (in most areas usually), street water will drain into a storm drain.

Only when the water is able to be directed/drained into your own lawn, or into some type of sewer system that eventually routes to a treatment facility, can you wash your car. Apparently it is something that has always existed, but never really enforced.

I do have a "cleanout" plug in my garage floor. I wonder if I can remove that and install a drain and somehow wash the car in my garage. Or would that just cause the area to smell terrible? My buddy was telling me about rinse-less car wash methods, but I don't know much about them. I have never taken any of my vehicles to a car wash, and I'm not keen on taking it to a self-wash. In fact, I don't even think there are any within 10 miles of me. How would I wash my motorcycle?

In any case, this was a general note to all residents in my neighborhood. Sounds like I'm not even supposed to even just only water. Lame.

Just... unscrew one of them when you wash your car and screw it back on when youíre done.

They are pretty much worthless as drains if there is no floor pitch towards them though.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sflkgjsfndgn View Post

Just... unscrew one of them when you wash your car and screw it back on when youíre done.

They are pretty much worthless as drains if there is no floor pitch towards them though.

You could use a floor squeegee to push water toward the opening.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by MidnightS14 View Post
You could use a floor squeegee to push water toward the opening.
Yeah, I have one of those big floor squeegees that I can push the water.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wash car in garage, mop floor when done?
Old 02-04-2019, 12:36 PM
aka DaZman69!

Yeah, I have one of those big floor squeegees that I can push the water.
Yeah but sheetrock and stuff on the floor.

Not that you canít get it in the hole, just that it will spread out after it hits the floor

I mean itís doable with enough motivation.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:40 PM

Yeah but sheetrock and stuff on the floor.

Not that you can’t get it in the hole, just that it will spread out after it hits the floor

I mean it’s doable with enough motivation.

Yeah, a big *** pain in the ***.

I do have ~14" concrete sides also coated in epoxy. And there's not a major slope. A lot of water will sit and will find its way under my tool cabinets and stuff. Sucks.

I'll look into that ONR stuff and see.

Or I'll just wash the car as normal since my HOA never enforces anything. Everyone else violating all sorts of rules and nobody does anything.

I want to spite my HOA if it is just their rule. But if it is a country-wide rule/environmental impacting, I'm more inclined to be a good boy.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:42 PM
I like to party

I always used to ask my parents what would happen if they just told the HOA to go **** themselves.

They were like "you can't do that"

I never understood why. What are they going to do, fine you? Tell them to go **** themselves and don't pay the fine.

(I guess I'm still salty about not being able to have a basketball hoop in the driveway 25 years later)
Old 02-04-2019, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by 2LEM1 View Post
I always used to ask my parents what would happen if they just told the HOA to go **** themselves.

I never understood why. What are they going to do, fine you? Tell them to go **** themselves and don't pay the fine.

(I guess I'm still salty about not being able to have a basketball hoop in the driveway 25 years later)
I believe the most they can do is fine you. At which point you don't have to pay, but if you ever want to sell your home, those costs have to be settled before the new owner can take ownership. Either you pay, or you convince the buyer to pay.

I think there was some Supreme Court case a while back where they can't put a lien on your home or anything, or make it go to collections.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2LEM1 View Post

LOL, this was done before.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:57 PM
something gnarly

dang, I've never paid my HOA fee once yet.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by 5SpdH22 View Post
dang, I've never paid my HOA fee once yet.
What do you mean?

Or do you not have an HOA and being facetious?
Old 02-04-2019, 01:10 PM
I said I don't want a title!

I think there was some Supreme Court case a while back where they can't put a lien on your home or anything, or make it go to collections.
They can absolutely put a lien on your home and take you to court, possibly taking your house/forcing sheriff sale. Unless Kali rules are different, but HOA's can be a major PITA if they want to be because they do indeed have the power.

I don't know how people put up with them or willingly move into a place that has them.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:11 PM
The Science Guy

What lawn? I don't even get a driveway here unless I spend twice as much. Lols.

Here's where I wash my car. This street is sloped where the water runoff goes across to the other side (top red arrow) toward a storm drain.

Bottom arrows are what I assume are cleanouts for the house's sewer line. Probably not meant to be open with a drain I'm guessing due to exhaust gases.

Pshhh.
Based on the color of your neighborhood, I am guessing you live in Irvine / Newport Beach.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:17 PM
GDD's DJ EX-M0D

Originally Posted by Todd00 View Post
I don't know how people put up with them or willingly move into a place that has them.
$330 a year for pool access that is right across the street, snow plowing(I live on the edge of two cites and they would never get touched otherwise, and landscaping upkeep along the neighborhood entrance and along the walking trail isn't that bad of a deal.

We had a dirt pile in our lawn(no not me) for the better part of two months, never heard a word. I think the only thing they are sticklers about is fence height, no privacy fences. Not all HOA's are terrible. They're certainly aren't people going around sending/posting passive aggressive flyers. Everybody is on the hunt for the kid that keeps pooping in the pool though.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:19 PM
something gnarly

What do you mean?
Or do you not have an HOA and being facetious?

They send a letter out every year where they ask for $15 from each house and I haven't given it to them yet. I technically owe $60 now.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:23 PM
I said I don't want a title!

I'm sure some HOA's might be ok, but as soon as one of them gets a president that wants to be a stickler, you can believe that the letters and fines will begin.

I don't want someone having that much power over the place that I live, regardless of any benefits.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:52 PM
NrG

dig up the garage floor and install french drain. problem solved.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:09 PM
0x5359-0055

ONR is exactly what you need and it will work wonderfully IF you prep the car properly beforehand. I'd recommend spending the cash to have it corrected and ceramic coated, then ONR for regular maintenance.

EDIT: and now that I'm caught up I see everyone else recommending the same
Old 02-04-2019, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Todd00 View Post
They can absolutely put a lien on your home and take you to court, possibly taking your house/forcing sheriff sale. Unless Kali rules are different, but HOA's can be a major PITA if they want to be because they do indeed have the power.

You sure? I thought some association tried that, got taken to court, and now there's some overall rule regarding what they can/can't do.

As 816d16 said, not all HOAs are bad. I don't mind mine and this isn't anything against them since it is more of an environmental issue. You're not supposed to wash your car with soap and wash it down a storm drain ANYWHERE, not just my neighborhood.

Originally Posted by Xentropa View Post
Based on the color of your neighborhood, I am guessing you live in Irvine / Newport Beach.
Yes, I live in Irvine.

Originally Posted by 5SpdH22 View Post
They send a letter out every year where they ask for $15 from each house and I haven't given it to them yet. I technically owe $60 now.
You should look into that. At least it isn't a large amount. Make sure there's no late charges or anything like that. If it is an actual HOA fee, someone will have to be responsible for it when the home is sold.

Originally Posted by 213374U View Post
ONR is exactly what you need and it will work wonderfully IF you prep the car properly beforehand. I'd recommend spending the cash to have it corrected and ceramic coated, then ONR for regular maintenance.

EDIT: and now that I'm caught up I see everyone else recommending the same
Yep, gonna be YouTubing ONR all night/tomorrow at work.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.