Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOA says I can't wash my car

Old 02-12-2019, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOA says I can't wash my car

Lolin
Old 02-12-2019, 04:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by smileycvc View Post
It looks new, but ceramic does nothing to protect your paint from scratches or rock chips. It really just makes the paint easier to clean and helps keep it's shine. Clear bra is superior for actual protection, but obviously more expensive.
Protects if you only wash your car with 2 buckets
Old 02-12-2019, 04:53 AM
Imgur Lives Matter

what about morning dew and a dry rag #ONR
Old 02-12-2019, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mistersparco View Post
dumb question:

a car that has ceramic coating.. do the owners just run them through automatic washes?

or generally since coatings cost some money and they are high dollar cars.. they still get them meticulously detailed?
Not a dumb question, I asked my guy this when I got Ceramic Pro the first time around... He cringed when I asked about automatic washes and still had a list of recommended soaps and still stresses the two bucket method. The cool thing is that no meticulous detailing is required afterwards, just a half assed two-bucket wash and then dry it off. He said ONR is fine for quick detail jobs too.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:06 AM
aka DaZman69!

Originally Posted by itrSteez View Post
Not a dumb question, I asked my guy this when I got Ceramic Pro the first time around... He cringed when I asked about automatic washes and still had a list of recommended soaps and still stresses the two bucket method. The cool thing is that no meticulous detailing is required afterwards, just a half assed two-bucket wash and then dry it off. He said ONR is fine for quick detail jobs too.
canít you just run it through a touchless?
Old 02-12-2019, 06:22 AM
Do you even red wheels?

Originally Posted by sflkgjsfndgn View Post

can’t you just run it through a touchless?

Yes you can. That’s all ive done for 8+ months now and my paint is still flawless. And it’s a freakin black car haha.

My car hasnt seen a wash mitt since last spring.

Ill take a microfiber and the supplied detailer from Feynlabs every couple months just to keep it healthy and/or wipe off any water spots leftover from the air dry.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

can’t you just run it through a touchless?
I don't want to put words in my installer's mouth, but I believe using a touchless or poor washing habits breaks down the "light" layer quicker.

Ceramic Pro is two separate parts
the 9H layer (or multiple 9h layers) - this is the protective layer helps prevent against swirling, marring, etc
the "light" layer - this is the hydrophobic one and often what people think of when ceramic coating is mentioned. This just helps shed the water but doesn't offer protection. It has a shelf life though, typically it needs to be reapplied annually and I assume even more frequently if its abused.

My Tacoma sits outside and still looks better than showroom condition after cleaning it, but the hydrophobic properties are definitely diminishing. But it has been nearly a year so I suppose it's right on schedule.

Speaking of which, I just got the PPF and CP quote for the new car, woof. Doubtful I'll be in a rush to get that one, I had no idea how brutal PPF is.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:03 AM
aka DaZman69!

I don't want to put words in my installer's mouth, but I believe using a touchless or poor washing habits breaks down the "light" layer quicker.

Ceramic Pro is two separate parts
the 9H layer (or multiple 9h layers) - this is the protective layer helps prevent against swirling, marring, etc
the "light" layer - this is the hydrophobic one and often what people think of when ceramic coating is mentioned. This just helps shed the water but doesn't offer protection. It has a shelf life though, typically it needs to be reapplied annually and I assume even more frequently if its abused.

My Tacoma sits outside and still looks better than showroom condition after cleaning it, but the hydrophobic properties are definitely diminishing. But it has been nearly a year so I suppose it's right on schedule.

Speaking of which, I just got the PPF and CP quote for the new car, woof. Doubtful I'll be in a rush to get that one, I had no idea how brutal PPF is.
how is touchless absuing it though?

Itís literally the same as pressure washing. Iíd think running a rag over the car would be more abusive to the paint then a touchless car wash. With a touchless literally nothing ever has to physically touch your paint.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:12 AM
Imgur Lives Matter

Itís literally the same as pressure washing. Iíd think running a rag over the car would be more abusive to the paint then a touchless car wash. With a touchless literally nothing ever has to physically touch your paint.
except the water literally destroying it
Old 02-12-2019, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It’s literally the same as pressure washing. I’d think running a rag over the car would be more abusive to the paint then a touchless car wash. With a touchless literally nothing ever has to physically touch your paint.
They said it was more about the detergents those places typically use versus the procedure itself.

But I assume you also have to take into account that this is their profession so they're going to have higher opinions on products/procedures and overkill suggestions. Either way, with an expensive coating job, I'll heed his advice if it means making it last.

If you ever want to see some real psychos in action, follow the Obsessed Garage group on FB.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The chemicals used to compensate for the lack of touching.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

They said it was more about the detergents those places typically use versus the procedure itself.

But I assume you also have to take into account that this is their profession so they're going to have higher opinions on products/procedures and overkill suggestions. Either way, with an expensive coating job, I'll heed his advice if it means making it last.

If you ever want to see some real psychos in action, follow the Obsessed Garage group on FB.
He is just underselling so when the coating wears off quicker then you think it should he can tell you that they only last as long as you use the softest charmin toilet paper to wash it. . For reals though I need to try it out for myself.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:33 AM
Will you make something up for me please?

Bumping this for another amusing HOA story.

Check this out...

But before you get all crazy about it....

This was my doing lols. I'm now "that guy". I've been consistently complaining that all visitor spots are taken up, including half the street parking from homeowners who never park in their garage. Maybe it is a cultural thing, but many folks in my neighborhood use their garage for storage or some type of playroom for the kids (and some of these familes have like 4+ kids).

32 homes in my particular tract and I think 3 or 4 homes park two cars inside. The rest either park none or sometimes parks one car inside. The others are using up the valuable visitor spots (there are about 15ish).

I have 3 cars so at least one needs to be outside. My parents visit and have to park nearly 1/4 mile away sometimes so they don't even want to visit. Or sometimes we come home from work and we can't get a spot.

So I've been compiling photos and license plates for the past few months with no success. Sadly they didn't think my spreadsheet of car models/home addresses/license plates was useful since they can't "prove" if the cars belong to the homeowners. Eventually they implemented this garage inspection notice. There are still some loopholes in this document so we'll see.

So many pissed off neighbors when I got home last Friday outside talking amongst each other and cleaning out their garages lols. Tons of clutter and boxes in the street being organized.

The main offender still doesn't park anything in his garage so we'll see. I will win this war.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:39 AM
C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS

First off, they would get a picture of my nuts before I give them a picture inside my house. **** that.

Before I respond further, is there an HOA rule you can't park in the visitor spot for more than X time frame?

Edit: right now, YTA.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:42 AM
Loves Tossing Salad

inb4photoshoppedpicsofgarage
Old 04-03-2019, 09:43 AM
Loves Tossing Salad

Originally Posted by The GreenD16 View Post
First off, they would get a picture of my nuts before I give them a picture inside my house. **** that.

Before I respond further, is there an HOA rule you can't park in the visitor spot for more than X time frame?
What do you have to hide? Or are you just on about amendments and rights and stuff
Old 04-03-2019, 09:46 AM
C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS

Originally Posted by 09chaplak View Post
What do you have to hide? Or are you just on about amendments and rights and stuff
I guess the latter.

Out of spite, I would make a car out of cardboard boxes and put a car over on it, and then take the pic.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:46 AM
Imgur Lives Matter

whats funnier is it took longer for shamoo to make a spreadsheet then it will for people to empty their garage, take a picture, and pile the crap back in it
Old 04-03-2019, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have some friends who live on the other side of Irvine (woodbridge) and they are in a fight with the HOA because they bought a sprinter van for their 4 kids but its too tall to fit in the garage. They dont have to park it in the garage, but it has to fit. So you can't own a lifted truck/SUV or a tall van even though you aren't REQUIRED to park in the garage. Just the fact that you wouldn't be able to is enough for the fines and stuff.

So he put an "I love Woodbridge" sticker on the van.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:51 AM

Edit: right now, YTA.
Part of the rules is that you must use your garage to its full capacity prior to parking anywhere else. You also cannot use your garage for any other purpose IF it is preventing you from storing vehicles you own.

Originally Posted by 09chaplak View Post
inb4photoshoppedpicsofgarage
I was quite happy to send them pics of my garage. I'm quite proud of how I set it up and how neat I made it. I can fit a 39" wide motorcycle, full side of 18" deep cabinets, tools, bicycles, and still have plenty of room for both vehicles. I make it work, others can too.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:52 AM
footwork mastery

I have to agree that annoys the **** out of me and makes a neighborhood look bad. Park your cars inside and not in the driveway/ street. If it's a nice car that definitely helps but some people jamming 4-5 people into a 3 bedroom house means 4-5 cars parked all over. Glad our neighborhood isn't bad but my old one ughhh
Old 04-03-2019, 09:53 AM

Hey I get it. That's why a lot of people don't like HOAs. But if you chose to live here, then you must abide by the rules. Your fault for not reading/understanding the rules.

I guess the latter.

Out of spite, I would make a car out of cardboard boxes and put a car over on it, and then take the pic.
Lols. But you'd be fined tho.

Originally Posted by grampswrx View Post
I have some friends who live on the other side of Irvine (woodbridge) and they are in a fight with the HOA because they bought a sprinter van for their 4 kids but its too tall to fit in the garage. They dont have to park it in the garage, but it has to fit. So you can't own a lifted truck/SUV or a tall van even though you aren't REQUIRED to park in the garage. Just the fact that you wouldn't be able to is enough for the fines and stuff.

So he put an "I love Woodbridge" sticker on the van.
I know someone like that too (large truck). You can park in the street. HOA has no jurisdiction over a public street (unless it is a gated neighborhood).
Old 04-03-2019, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

These are the externalities of producing thousands of homes without yards and selling them to families. Since you can't play in the street (violation) you have to play in the garage.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:57 AM
C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS

Originally Posted by shamoo View Post
Hey I get it. That's why a lot of people don't like HOAs. But if you chose to live here, then you must abide by the rules. Your fault for not reading/understanding the rules.
Prior to this notice, was it in the HOA bylaws that they can do inspections and require photographs of your garage as proof?
Old 04-03-2019, 09:58 AM

Prior to this notice, was it in the HOA bylaws that they can do inspections and require photographs of your garage as proof?
I don't know, good question. I'm sure there's something in there where they can do inspections. But I don't know.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.