Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heinz Kerry a "Sista"?!

Old 08-13-2004, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Heinz Kerry a "Sista"?!

This is NOT slander! I never knew this running first lady had so much 'soul'. I just never knew.

http://www.bet.com/articles/0,....html
__________________________________________________ _________________

First Sister?
By Christine Phillip, BET.com Staff Writer

Posted August 13, 2004 – The GOP is beginning to play the race card.

In a bold move to attract African American voters in key battleground states, a group of Republicans calling itself People of Color United, has begun running radio ads on Black stations in Cleveland, Philadelphia, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Mo., and other urban areas with large minority populations.

The focus of some of these ads: Democratic presidential nominee Sen. John Kerry’s wife, Teresa Heinz Kerry. In one ad, the announcer says “his wife says she’s an African American. While technically true, I don’t believe a White woman, raised in Africa surrounded by servants, qualifies.”

According to news reports, in the 1990s, Heinz Kerry described herself as an African American. But William Marshall, Jr., director of African American media affairs at the Democratic National Committee, says that Heinz Kerry has not described herself as an African American in recent times.

But the issue does come up on the campaign trail. He said that at the recent Democratic Party convention, “a number of female delegates began shouting ‘an African American woman in the White House, an African American woman in the White House.’ That happens a lot whenever she encounters large groups of African American women. Out of love and respect for her, they address her that way.”

Heinz Kerry was born in Mozambique, in south-eastern Africa, to Portuguese parents, and at the convention she affirmed her African roots.

People United, based in Washington, D.C., is the latest in a number of nonprofit groups that is taking out ads to influence the outcome of the upcoming Nov. 2 elections. The group shelled out $70,000 for the air time on the Black stations, and one of its backers, J. Patrick Rooney is the former chairman of Golden Rule Insurance, Co.

Rooney, who is white, told The Washington Post in an e-mail, “I support [the] group because the genuine word for the Black community should be heard, not white folks saying for them.”

In her adult life, Heinz Kerry has become a powerful woman, who like many African American women, is known to speak her mind. She is the head of the $1.2 billion Heinz Foundation., which funds programs in the environment, urban revitalization, the arts and education. Her personal fortune is estimated to exceed $1 billion.

Are you offended that Heinz Kerry is being described as an African American, and by the GOP ads that tell Blacks who qualifies to be African American? Hit the Discuss Now button and get it off your chest.
__________________________________________________ ____________

You can discuss it here if you wish, at the bottom of http://www.bet.com/articles/0,...nchor

Learn something new every day.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Heinz Kerry a "Sista"?! (didyouhearthat)

so what if shes white. if shes from africa shes technically african american. I know a guy who is from ireland, speaks galic but is of italian decent. nationality doesn't neccesarily have to be ethnicity.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If she can drop it like Lohan in the Music awards it's on!

Old 08-13-2004, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Heinz Kerry a "Sista"?! (enrique)

Personally, I think if this were any other circumstances she'd get slammed . . . . Slammed hard.
But like the article said. If you're from Africa . . . .
Old 08-13-2004, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, she's a helluva lot more "African" then the vast majority of "African Americans". It's not a remotely outrageous statement.

Charlize Theron=African. South African.

Black republicans puzzle me anyway. Just doesn't seem to make sense ideologically.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Heinz Kerry a "Sista"?! (gamby)

My best freind is black, but she was adopted at birth by a white couple and she considers herself white. All her life she attended private schools where she was the only non white person in the entire school and all the people she is ever around are white. I am the only person that she really associates with that is not white, I can understand how Mrs. Kerry can associate herself with african americans eventhough it is not apparant on the surface.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:46 PM
Oh yeah I forgot I can edit my own title! Yay!

....and the relevance of all of this is what?
Old 08-14-2004, 07:06 AM

Default Re: Heinz Kerry a "Sista"?! (Bishop Don A. Shizzle)

I don't know about in the past, but at the convention she referred to herself as a "Continental African." Actually, most people I know from Africa (incl. my fiance) say they are "African" not "African-American."

That said, most people from Africa that I know have a vastly different experience than African-Americans. They are also treated much differently than African-Americans. I always remember reading that Malcolm X used to occasionally fake an accent and say he was from Africa when traveling in the South. Even back then, he said he was treated very differently by the white establishment.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:30 AM
I really don't know

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by didyouhearthat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Her personal fortune is estimated to exceed $1 billion.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Does this mean that the first african american female billionaire is really white?
Old 08-14-2004, 08:34 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Heinz Kerry a "Sista"?! (Mark sans)

In my experience, the <U>only</U> thing traditional "African-Americans" have in common with Africans is skin color.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Heinz Kerry a "Sista"?! (sand1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sand1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My best freind is black, but she was adopted at birth by a white couple and she considers herself white. All her life she attended private schools where she was the only non white person in the entire school and all the people she is ever around are white. I am the only person that she really associates with that is not white, I can understand how Mrs. Kerry can associate herself with african americans eventhough it is not apparant on the surface. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Does your friend have a relative named Clayton Bigsby?
Old 08-14-2004, 08:46 AM
amin n'rangwa edanea

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bishop Don A. Shizzle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">....and the relevance of all of this is what?</TD></TR></TABLE>

not sure. but she's from africa, she's an American citizen; she's African American. no ifs and or buts, this is a retarded issue to argue over. This reminds me of the South African kid who won an African-American essay contest but got disqualified cause he wasn't black.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:30 AM

Default Re: Heinz Kerry a "Sista"?! (Ek-CoolGuy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ek-CoolGuy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Does your friend have a relative named Clayton Bigsby?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yall wanna see mah face!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-14-2004, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bishop Don A. Shizzle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">....and the relevance of all of this is what?</TD></TR></TABLE>

This has the same "relevance" as every other topic in GDD. It has the very same "relevance" as your reply/post.

I personally did not know she was from Africa. I admit I haven't even heard of her until Kerry jumped in the race. I also figured that even though there will be people who will deny the "relevance" of this topic in the context of a presidential race, it does have some relevance or it wouldn't be in the news. It also wouldn't be on the "front page" of BET.com.

Now with that said, I must point up to the first sentence of this post which said this is not a thread meant to poke at Kerry or the party. I was merely posting this as there may have been others who didn't know. Well, now they are "in the know". Four hundred and seventy plus people viewed the thread, I'm sure some of them learned something.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fluxion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This reminds me of the South African kid who won an African-American essay contest but got disqualified cause he wasn't black.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well now see, it can be an issue depending on the context of things. It's a technicality issue. Do you really believe that the African American essay contest was to include Africans regardless of skin color? Under those circumstances, it was an issue and it can't be argued. Otherwise it would have been people saying "this has no relevance" - just like responders to this thread - and he would not have been disqualified.

But you're right, we are a nation of technicalities (when it benefits us), aren't we?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM EK9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Does this mean that the first african american female billionaire is really white?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Technically, I guess it would.

Is Oprah (still and Afro American, though not technically) a billionaire yet?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ek-CoolGuy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Does your friend have a relative named Clayton Bigsby?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Who's Clayton Bigsby?

Edit: http://www.bluntedonreality.co....html Oh, hahaMuaha!

I also found it pretty cool/interesting that while the President must be born in this country, his wife (who really wears the pants ) can be borne elsewhere.

Modified by didyouhearthat at 1:12 AM 8/15/2004
Old 08-14-2004, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by didyouhearthat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Is Oprah (still and Afro American, though not technically) a billionaire yet?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes she is. She owns Harpo Entertainment Group. And they make alot of cash
Old 08-14-2004, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Heinz Kerry a "Sista"?! (Ek-CoolGuy)

My friend has never been able to contact her biological family eventhough her adopted parents have spent a lot of money on private investigators trying to contact them. I strongly doubt that she is related to him although I did find the article very interesting.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:36 PM

funny thing is that some black people born here in the states think that theyre "more african american" than somebody who was born and raised in africa then moved to the states.

lol... guess it wasnt THAT funny.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:02 PM
eL
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Heinz Kerry a "Sista"?! (Xumarius)

This thread is dumb... lets see more Lohan!
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Xumarius &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-14-2004, 09:08 PM

Default Re: Heinz Kerry a "Sista"?! (eL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This thread is dumb... lets see more Lohan!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 08-14-2004, 09:42 PM

Default Re: Heinz Kerry a "Sista"?! (prestdoh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prestdoh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>
I wouldn't hit it.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:43 PM

Default Re: Heinz Kerry a "Sista"?! (Rand0m)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rand0m &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I wouldn't hit it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
me neither.

Hillary Duff &gt; Lindsay Lohan
Old 08-14-2004, 09:46 PM
Banned

I'd hit it.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:47 PM
I really don't know

Default Re: Heinz Kerry a "Sista"?! (LSVTEC 91 Civic)

hjave you guys seen the pics where someone photoshopped lohans boob popping out?

If you're horny enough they'd look like real photos, haha
Old 08-14-2004, 09:56 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prestdoh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Hillary Duff &gt; Lindsay Lohan</TD></TR></TABLE>

Lindsay Lohan just looks wierd.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by didyouhearthat
This is NOT slander! I never knew this running first lady had so much 'soul'. I just never knew.

http://www.bet.com/articles/0,....html
__________________________________________________ _________________

First Sister?
By Christine Phillip, BET.com Staff Writer

Posted August 13, 2004 – The GOP is beginning to play the race card.

In a bold move to attract African American voters in key battleground states, a group of Republicans calling itself People of Color United, has begun running radio ads on Black stations in Cleveland, Philadelphia, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Mo., and other urban areas with large minority populations.

The focus of some of these ads: Democratic presidential nominee Sen. John Kerry’s wife, Teresa Heinz Kerry. In one ad, the announcer says “his wife says she’s an African American. While technically true, I don’t believe a White woman, raised in Africa surrounded by servants, qualifies.”

According to news reports, in the 1990s, Heinz Kerry described herself as an African American. But William Marshall, Jr., director of African American media affairs at the Democratic National Committee, says that Heinz Kerry has not described herself as an African American in recent times.

But the issue does come up on the campaign trail. He said that at the recent Democratic Party convention, “a number of female delegates began shouting ‘an African American woman in the White House, an African American woman in the White House.’ That happens a lot whenever she encounters large groups of African American women. Out of love and respect for her, they address her that way.”

Heinz Kerry was born in Mozambique, in south-eastern Africa, to Portuguese parents, and at the convention she affirmed her African roots.

People United, based in Washington, D.C., is the latest in a number of nonprofit groups that is taking out ads to influence the outcome of the upcoming Nov. 2 elections. The group shelled out $70,000 for the air time on the Black stations, and one of its backers, J. Patrick Rooney is the former chairman of Golden Rule Insurance, Co.

Rooney, who is white, told The Washington Post in an e-mail, “I support [the] group because the genuine word for the Black community should be heard, not white folks saying for them.”

In her adult life, Heinz Kerry has become a powerful woman, who like many African American women, is known to speak her mind. She is the head of the $1.2 billion Heinz Foundation., which funds programs in the environment, urban revitalization, the arts and education. Her personal fortune is estimated to exceed $1 billion.

Are you offended that Heinz Kerry is being described as an African American, and by the GOP ads that tell Blacks who qualifies to be African American? Hit the Discuss Now button and get it off your chest.
__________________________________________________ ____________

You can discuss it here if you wish, at the bottom of http://www.bet.com/articles/0,...nchor

Learn something new every day.
Ahh, the GOP group that is primarily funded by a white conservative... I'm sure that all 12 black Republicans in America approve of the message. After black Floridians in '00 got illegally prevented from voting, Bush dogged the NAACP 4 years in a row becoming the first president since the NAACP's inception to not address them, Bush's tax cut that places a heavier burden on minorities, etc.. will all be overshadowed by the news that Teresa Heinz Kerry is not black. Who know, perhaps Bush will get more than 9% of the African-American vote come November

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.