Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Epic show, Yay or Nay?
Yay
86.25%
Nay
13.75%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

HBO: Game of Thrones

Old 05-25-2011, 07:16 PM
86%

Default Re: HBO: Game of Thrones

Originally Posted by The Notorious Frosty View Post
I would watch it if it wasn't on so late.
dude I don't even have HBO but I watch it. The torrents take about 10 minutes to download the day after the episode airs... Plus if you have on demand or something the new episodes should pop up within a week of airing, right?
Old 05-25-2011, 07:35 PM
x3

Still working on the book before I check out the series. How close does it follow the book?

Book is pretty awesome so far.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:55 PM
86%

Originally Posted by jokercykoe View Post
Still working on the book before I check out the series. How close does it follow the book?

Book is pretty awesome so far.
To be honest, I haven't even watched the past few episodes but the first few were MUCH better than I anticipated as a big fan of the books. I mean, the books have a pretty wide scope, so it has to alter and shrink certain events, but whoever is directing/writing it has done a tremendous job of getting the good stuff in, and keeping it entertaining and not feeling rushed.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by dlcracing View Post
hey Freebird - don't cast stones your body can't catch

i dont need the nubs comment to approve of your intelligence
I was teasing, easy killer, easy.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:17 PM
86%

BET: Game Uh Frones
Old 05-26-2011, 11:32 PM
86%

I honestly don't remember Robert (the king)'s brother being gay with the Knight of Flowers dude. Am I just completely wrong, or did they add that just for the show?
Old 05-27-2011, 12:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I voted nay by mistake
Old 05-27-2011, 05:04 AM
Oracle of GDD

Originally Posted by GoodEyeSniper View Post
I honestly don't remember Robert (the king)'s brother being gay with the Knight of Flowers dude. Am I just completely wrong, or did they add that just for the show?
I was wondering the same, since they go totally 100% gay in the latest episode.

I'm about halfway through the second book and it's just being hinted at now, w/things like "Renly married some chick, but only to use her to tempt his brother away from evil Queen" or "Renly paid his new queen no attention and spent more time w/Knight of the Flowers"

Plus, "Knight of the Flowers"? Plus the books always reference Renly's love for vibrant color and shiny new armor and **** like that.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dungeons and Dragons?
Old 05-27-2011, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Ross View Post
I was wondering the same, since they go totally 100% gay in the latest episode.

I'm about halfway through the second book and it's just being hinted at now, w/things like "Renly married some chick, but only to use her to tempt his brother away from evil Queen" or "Renly paid his new queen no attention and spent more time w/Knight of the Flowers"

Plus, "Knight of the Flowers"? Plus the books always reference Renly's love for vibrant color and shiny new armor and **** like that.
I echo Rossís thoughts, I always was under the impression there was something going on between Renly and the Knight of Flowers when reading the books, there are hints everywhere if you pay attention.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:26 AM
Oracle of GDD

Originally Posted by FrreeeBird View Post
I echo Rossís thoughts, I always was under the impression there was something going on between Renly and the Knight of Flowers when reading the books, there are hints everywhere if you pay attention.
It's funny because the book isn't even 20 years old, but the thick veil cast over the relationship between those 2 characters makes it seem like a relic from a much older time.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:33 AM

It's funny because the book isn't even 20 years old, but the thick veil cast over the relationship between those 2 characters makes it seem like a relic from a much older time.
I think GRRM did this as a way to suprise less aware readers down the road...not because relationships of that nature are THAT taboo in westeros.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:31 AM
Oracle of GDD

Originally Posted by FrreeeBird View Post
I think GRRM did this as a way to suprise less aware readers down the road...not because relationships of that nature are THAT taboo in westeros.
Makes sense to me.

Or perhaps he was commenting on the real-life tendency for these proclivities to be hidden/glossed over by chroniclers of the times, even though it wasn't a big deal to the people involved when it was actually happening.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:16 AM
86%

Yeah, I must've just been oblivious while reading the books haha... I mean, the story is full of political marriages and ****, must've figured that was the reason for any coldness in his marriage.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Double Platinum Member

Im finally catching up with this show. I watched the first episode and then stopped for some reason. Im actually really surprised at how well the show follows the books. I just finished episode 4 and ill probably watch 5 and 6 tonight. Im really hoping that Viserys(sp?) gets the same "golden crown that men will tremble to behold" as he did in the book. I hate that little bastard, and i think the series has somehow made him even more annoying lol

Is this show supposed to follow the entire A Song of Ice and Fire series, or is it just A Game of Thrones? Just going by the first 4 episodes it seems like itll have to follow the entire series or else there are going to be tons of things left unfinished.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sCeRaXn View Post
Im finally catching up with this show. I watched the first episode and then stopped for some reason. Im actually really surprised at how well the show follows the books. I just finished episode 4 and ill probably watch 5 and 6 tonight. Im really hoping that Viserys(sp?) gets the same "golden crown that men will tremble to behold" as he did in the book. I hate that little bastard, and i think the series has somehow made him even more annoying lol

Is this show supposed to follow the entire A Song of Ice and Fire series, or is it just A Game of Thrones? Just going by the first 4 episodes it seems like itll have to follow the entire series or else there are going to be tons of things left unfinished.
Don't worry, they handle Viserys crowning quite well.

And I believe they decided 1 book = 1 season.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:57 PM
86%

Originally Posted by sCeRaXn View Post

I did almost the same as you, watched the first three, then quit. then downloaded and watched all but last weeks within two days. I do this with a lot of dramas that I get into. I hate waiting a week every time, so I kind of push it out of my head for a few weeks, then watch as many shows near to eachother as I can.

And yeah, they handle his crowning quite well. The more episodes I watch the more impressed I am with how well they simplify and shorten certain bits to fit, but you really feel like you're getting a full dose of the story. And, just like the books, Tyrion is proving to be the most interesting character, haha.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:04 PM
OG Tech

You telling me that winter isn't coming this SEASON!
Old 05-28-2011, 10:16 PM
86%

Originally Posted by EGfosho View Post
You telling me that winter isn't coming this SEASON!
I've read four books and winter has yet to come.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:08 AM

I've read four books and winter has yet to come.
In theory it's already arrived north of the wall...
Old 05-29-2011, 08:10 AM
Oracle of GDD

They are cramming a lot of stuff into the show. Even some things from the second book have already popped up, if I'm not mistaken?

One thing I'm very curious about is how they handle the beheading of Ned (Sean Bean). Every series needs a stoic, "Boy Scout"-ish white male father figure in the lead whose honor is his tragic flaw yet ultimately his saving grace.

So do they follow the books and shock us all with a public beheading? Or do they correct the books' most tragic injustice?

I am thinking perhaps the latter...the scene where he gets stabbed through the leg in front of the brothel unfolded differently in the books. In the books, Littlefinger turns on him while his men get killed and there is no fighting between Ned and Jaime.

In the show, Littlefinger is horrified and runs back in to 'call the cops'. And it's really his betrayal in the book that seals Ned's fate. So keeping Littlefinger as an ally of 'the good guys' may signal a slightly different direction.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:28 AM
x3

^ fuuucckkkk didnt get that far in the book yet
Old 05-29-2011, 11:23 AM
86%

yeah ross put some ****ing spoiler tags up, sheesh.

SPOILERBELOW

I think they can't change what ultimately happens to ned, otherwise the war won't fully break out, because Rob already knows his dad has been attacked, but hasn't retaliated at all. He needs to be pushed over the brink.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

new eps on right now
Old 05-29-2011, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Double Platinum Member

They are cramming a lot of stuff into the show. Even some things from the second book have already popped up, if I'm not mistaken?

One thing I'm very curious about is how they handle the beheading of Ned (Sean Bean). Every series needs a stoic, "Boy Scout"-ish white male father figure in the lead whose honor is his tragic flaw yet ultimately his saving grace.

So do they follow the books and shock us all with a public beheading? Or do they correct the books' most tragic injustice?

I am thinking perhaps the latter...the scene where he gets stabbed through the leg in front of the brothel unfolded differently in the books. In the books, Littlefinger turns on him while his men get killed and there is no fighting between Ned and Jaime.

In the show, Littlefinger is horrified and runs back in to 'call the cops'. And it's really his betrayal in the book that seals Ned's fate. So keeping Littlefinger as an ally of 'the good guys' may signal a slightly different direction.
Spoiler tags please. You know this already man

*spoiler(maybe)*I thought Littlefinger called the castle guard in order for them to help Ned in the book, but it ended up backfiring? Either way, im pretty sure Ned will die. If he doesnt then the rest of the story will have to be completely different than the books.*spoiler(maybe)*

yeah ross put some ****ing spoiler tags up, sheesh.

SPOILERBELOW

I think they can't change what ultimately happens to ned, otherwise the war won't fully break out, because Rob already knows his dad has been attacked, but hasn't retaliated at all. He needs to be pushed over the brink.
Agreed. I have a feeling the end will begin when King Robert returns from his hunt to find that Ned has declared Jaime Lannister an outlaw of the state.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HBO: Game of Thrones

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.