Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you tried any non-meat......meat?

 
Old 02-28-2019, 09:13 AM
  #1  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 661
Default Have you tried any non-meat......meat?

I was looking at https://www.beyondmeat.com/ and reading some reviews on other forums....supposedly these taste great.

Anyone else try "fake-meat" and actually like it???

If this really is the future, and it means no need for slaughter then im all for it..........but it has to taste like real meat.
mixxed is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 09:14 AM
  #2  
Prairie Dog Breeder
 
93Accord117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Orcas Isl, WA
Posts: 469
Default Re: Have you tried any non-meat......meat?

Yes, I think tofu is delicious when prepared correctly.
93Accord117 is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 09:19 AM
  #3  
Bloody Beaver
 
.Beaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Ulft, NL
Posts: 16,599
Default Re: Have you tried any non-meat......meat?

Beyond burgers are ok, but I don’t really like fake meat products. I didn’t stop eating meat to start eating a bunch of fake **** pressed together to mimic what I quit.
.Beaver is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 09:25 AM
  #4  
Do it right the first second time!
 
Chief Brody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,856
Default Re: Have you tried any non-meat......meat?

Originally Posted by .Beaver View Post
Beyond burgers are ok, but I donít really like fake meat products. I didnít stop eating meat to start eating a bunch of fake **** pressed together to mimic what I quit.
Same as all my friends that quit smoking cigarettes, but have e-cigs now lolz.


And no I haven't tried this ****. If I want to eat a bratwurst I'm going to eat a ******* bratwurst.

Chief Brody is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 09:34 AM
  #5  
Swaggylicious
 
$amGD3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Your mom
Posts: 2,670
Default Re: Have you tried any non-meat......meat?

Not mad at Morning Star fake chicken nuggets, esp the buffalo flavor one
$amGD3 is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 09:52 AM
  #6  
Cole Trickle
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 164
Default Re: Have you tried any non-meat......meat?

Beyond burgers are okay. I don't eat them often (probably 3-4 times a year).

I have a vegetarian hot dog from the local hot dog stand about as often.

There's a vegan sausage option at a bar on the other side of the city that I go to 5-7x per year.

Beyond that, I cook with tempeh, jackfruit and seitan every so often or sometimes a restaurant will use it.

Sometimes it is great, other times fine. Like Beav I didn't go vegetarian to eat fake meats, but I accommodate my meat eating friends and sometimes that translates to meat alternatives.

TBH a well prepared faux meat is going to taste better than the slop that most Americans eat & enjoy.
moopmoop is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 09:55 AM
  #7  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 661
Default Re: Have you tried any non-meat......meat?

Originally Posted by moopmoop View Post

TBH a well prepared faux meat is going to taste better than the slop that most Americans eat & enjoy.
good to know - but i assume for now these fake meat meals will put more of a dent in my wallet.
mixxed is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 09:55 AM
  #8  
GDD's Dr. Phil?
 
oneludesol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SW Florida / Denver Colorado
Posts: 1,771
Default Re: Have you tried any non-meat......meat?

I've tried a few, most of them are actually pretty delicious, and I eat them fairly often. That being said, they're no substitute for the real thing, I've just found that now I crave meat and meat substitutes separately.
oneludesol is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 09:56 AM
  #9  
Cole Trickle
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 164
Default Re: Have you tried any non-meat......meat?

Originally Posted by mixxed View Post
good to know - but i assume for now these fake meat meals will put more of a dent in my wallet.
Sometimes.

Beyond Burgers from the store are big pricey.

Restaurants that offer Impossible burgers often increase the price by a bit (even though good beef is really expensive, most beef is trash)

That said, eating vegetarian/vegan at home is super cheap. Veggies are cheaper than decent cuts of meat.
moopmoop is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 10:08 AM
  #10  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Flyover Country
Posts: 159
Default Re: Have you tried any non-meat......meat?

Tofu can be damn good when it's made right, it's just finicky as all hell.

Love the Morningstar Buffalo 'chicken', always have a bag of the patties in the freezer. Makes best sammich. Also like their spicy 'sausage' patties and Griller Prime 'burgers.'

Just found some of this stuff at my local Kroger. So far has been pretty tasty.

And just for the record; I am not a vegetarian. Too many good Mexican places around here to not eat meat.
scelestus is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 10:10 AM
  #11  
something gnarly
 
5SpdH22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ᶜᵸᶥᶜᵃᵍᵒ
Posts: 682
Default Re: Have you tried any non-meat......meat?

I thought a tofu was a bird
5SpdH22 is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 11:02 AM
  #12  
Oracle of GDD
 
Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: a lake in VA
Posts: 11,899
Default Re: Have you tried any non-meat......meat?

No interest in the current fake meat, and let me know when you can fake a liver or heart.

Once the actual no-kill meat hits the big time, I'll probably switch. But no tofu burgers for me.
Ross is online now  
Old 02-28-2019, 11:11 AM
  #13  
Honda-Tech Member
 
ford9n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 19
Default Re: Have you tried any non-meat......meat?

this lab created nonsense shouldn't be called meat. lab protein.

same goes for the coconut / rice drink nonsense. stop calling it milk.

lab protein WILL find its market - I suspect it will take a while, but I prefer real meat.

ford9n is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 11:28 AM
  #14  
Oracle of GDD
 
Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: a lake in VA
Posts: 11,899
Default Re: Have you tried any non-meat......meat?

Originally Posted by ford9n View Post
this lab created nonsense shouldn't be called meat. lab protein.

same goes for the coconut / rice drink nonsense. stop calling it milk.

lab protein WILL find its market - I suspect it will take a while, but I prefer real meat.
We need to differentiate between tofu/black bean/etc "meatless" products and the agitated proteins I think you are talking about when you say "lab protein"

If you guys think animal slaughter for food is going to be sustainable long-term, I have a bridge over De Nial river to sell you.
Ross is online now  
Old 02-28-2019, 11:29 AM
  #15  
Honda-Tech Member
 
RodWolf19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: TX
Posts: 115
Default Re: Have you tried any non-meat......meat?

Lol Manmade Protein.
RodWolf19 is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 11:42 AM
  #16  
Honda-Tech Member
 
ford9n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 19
Default Re: Have you tried any non-meat......meat?

Originally Posted by Ross View Post
We need to differentiate between tofu/black bean/etc "meatless" products and the agitated proteins I think you are talking about when you say "lab protein"

If you guys think animal slaughter for food is going to be sustainable long-term, I have a bridge over De Nial river to sell you.
I'm familiar with TVP and now this lab meat.
I think at some point the FDA will need to change its definition of what they call meat (and milk), because currently, these products currently don't fit. there is already big dairy fighting the milk label.

there is no ecosystem where animals don't die. so if we are to mimic nature, then things are gonna have to die. I'm not suggesting we expand confinement agriculture, but I am saying that animals can and will be part of our poor land management problem. some of those animals will be processed into food
you should look into Allan Savory and "Holistic Management" . ranchers are sequestering carbon, restoring landscapes at the same time producing healthy food for their community. animals aren't the problem, its the idiots managing them.
ford9n is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 11:45 AM
  #17  
Honda-Tech Member
 
ky13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Harpers Ferry, WV
Posts: 11
Default Re: Have you tried any non-meat......meat?

I had an ex (who was a vegetarian) invite me over for Thanksgiving; I ended up being the only one who liked the tofurkey lol. Tasted like the school lunch turkey.
ky13 is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 11:47 AM
  #18  
Oracle of GDD
 
Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: a lake in VA
Posts: 11,899
Default Re: Have you tried any non-meat......meat?

Originally Posted by ford9n View Post
I'm familiar with TVP and now this lab meat.
I think at some point the FDA will need to change its definition of what they call meat (and milk), because currently, these products currently don't fit. there is already big dairy fighting the milk label.

there is no ecosystem where animals don't die. so if we are to mimic nature, then things are gonna have to die. I'm not suggesting we expand confinement agriculture, but I am saying that animals can and will be part of our poor land management problem. some of those animals will be processed into food
you should look into Allan Savory and "Holistic Management" . ranchers are sequestering carbon, restoring landscapes at the same time producing healthy food for their community. animals aren't the problem, its the idiots managing them.
I'm assuming that there is going to be a vast, rapid reduction in arable land at some point in the next few decades, and that we will see a huge # of plant and animal extinctions...and that we will no longer have the luxury of grazing animals in big wide-open spaces.
Ross is online now  
Old 02-28-2019, 11:55 AM
  #19  
Honda-Tech Member
 
tony_2018's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 12,673
Default Re: Have you tried any non-meat......meat?

Houston Mandarin restaurant has this tofu dish that is awesome, the tofu is very light and fluffy.
tony_2018 is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 11:57 AM
  #20  
Honda-Tech Member
 
ford9n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 19
Default Re: Have you tried any non-meat......meat?

Originally Posted by Ross View Post
I'm assuming that there is going to be a vast, rapid reduction in arable land at some point in the next few decades, and that we will see a huge # of plant and animal extinctions...and that we will no longer have the luxury of grazing animals in big wide-open spaces.
in large areas of rangeland, where cropping isn't suitable, animals are the primary way to derive food from the ecosystem.
as deserts expand, holistic grazing of animals will become a large part of the way people derive food. a cow will walk 5 miles to water, no problem.
pushing food production into labs, isn't the answer, imo. as I mentioned - it is possible to be carbon negative and produce healthy and humane beef.

ford9n is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.