Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Community Forums > General Discussion and Debate
Reload this Page >

Has street racing / car building turned into a hobby primarily for the wealthy?

Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has street racing / car building turned into a hobby primarily for the wealthy?

Old 03-13-2014, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has street racing / car building turned into a hobby primarily for the wealthy?

Just was chatting with some friends about this earlier and the drag strip as well as the street scene is night and day different from ten years ago. back then you had people of all types coming out to run, it was a big event. you would often see music, a radio station with a booth and a lot of people. there were $2500 cars and on occasion $250,000 cars

now a days there are lambos, 1000hp vettes, GTR's and other cars that are 100k+ as the norm. very very few "common" people anymore

in fact one of the few i can think of is one of the HT members in this video

he puts his all into this and has the most bad *** integra the world has ever known and even that car being an affordable integra probably has north of 25 grand in it if i had to guess

what happened? you guys think it's just the money? that's probably my excuse for not racing anymore. the money is just too deep. you can spend the price of a house on racing in a few years.

Last edited by racebum; 03-13-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:22 PM
rookn00b

Default Re: Has street racing / car building turned into a hobby primarily for the wealthy?

It's possible to enjoy a car without massive acceleration potential.

From bracket racing, SCCA showroom stock or even ice racing, there's many low cost ways to enjoy this hobby.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:30 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Has street racing / car building turned into a hobby primarily for the wealthy?

Gringoteg got me into boosted setups.

Been following his build since wayy back.

Crazy how far his car came and commitment he has.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:56 PM
been there done that

Idk where you're from, but here, the street scene and drag strip is still full of broke kids barely breaking 15s. It's a sad day when my car is the fastest at the races. There are a few heavy hitters that come out occasionally but nobody ever wants to run them for obvious reasons.

Speaking strictly Hondas here.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:58 PM
Touching My Member

that integra boogies!!!
Old 03-13-2014, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have drag raced that integra twice and beat it lol.
He is a member (gringotegra) this car has seen many stages,
and a lot of track time.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:07 PM
Arriving somewhere but not here

Nope race scene is as shitty as every, buncha kids laying diesel on the road to do skids in their mum's corolla.

Last I was out there was a guy literally in a 1600 4age powered corolla talking **** about my hondas, the rx7 and my V6 mr2. Talking about how much he'd smoke me and all this crap, dude has a goddamn 112hp shitbox with blown struts and 175 tyres that can't even go round corners. It's everything I remember about that scene
Old 03-13-2014, 10:13 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by 328FTW View Post
Nope race scene is as shitty as every, buncha kids laying diesel on the road to do skids in their mum's corolla.

Last I was out there was a guy literally in a 1600 4age powered corolla talking **** about my hondas, the rx7 and my V6 mr2. Talking about how much he'd smoke me and all this crap, dude has a goddamn 112hp shitbox with blown struts and 175 tyres that can't even go round corners. It's everything I remember about that scene
The race scene here is 100 percent high school brian oconnors with tricked out slow cars, like miatas and 3000gt base models. The VR4 was quick, but the base model is slower than my grandmas grand marquis.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:15 PM
I took way too long

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TX2K is unlike any "street race" meet up you've been to. I have friends who go this every year because it's that good. Of course an event like this attracts wealthy people who are into cars and as a result only top tier cars are there or featured in all the 1320 vids you'll see. It's the holy grail event of street racing in the whole world, and doesn't accurately portray the majority of street racing, etc.

I'm sure there are still plenty of 3,000 dollar Civics who street race though. Street racing is dumb anyways.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:30 PM
Arriving somewhere but not here

This is what the real scene is about, true story.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:35 PM
B20 Bhai M.B.B.S

Those 2k events make my car feel slow…
Old 03-14-2014, 04:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i think to a certain extent money ruins everything. look at the import scene late 90s era. fast forward a few years GM, pontiac, dodge and the elite honda guys that could afford tube frame cars pretty much killed the sport.
then it has evolved into what it is today. a dead dinosaur. this is strictly speaking about the import scene.
go ask a drag racer what they think about roll racing. you cant touch the UGR lambos.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:50 AM
I live under a rock

The 2k events are a RARE occurance. Loads of rich bastards and their cars all in one place.

Around me its still broke *** kids and illegal immigrants in their **** box single cam turds flying down I-95 or doing some gay roll-start **** that holds up traffic behind them till they get the F on down the road.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Roll racing.

Racing has always been about who has the deepest pockets. In some types of racing (road racing, rally, etc) talent can somewhat overcome that but when you get into racing that requires virtually 0 skill it's all a money game.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:16 AM
INSERT TITLE HERE

Last time I was at the strip it was still the same crowd as before. Mostly older guys with muscle cars.

I don't get many street races these days. I did have a turbo Volvo try me a few months ago. It was kind of a joke. I went to about 60 and had him by several car lenths, as I should have.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:08 AM
Pirate General...YARRRR

Cars have always been a rich man's hobby played by the poor.

The good thing with so many cars out and the increase of tech you can play now and have a lot of fun with out being rich. There was not mx5 in 1920.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Since moving down to South Florida I've been blown away by some of the locals and just how deep their pockets are. UGR lambos and GTR's are as common as mustangs down here.

case in point, these are two locals who are at my local track (PBIR) all the time.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:15 AM
B20 Bhai M.B.B.S

^ or your priorities are really skewed… which isn’t necessarily a bad thing.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:19 AM
I like to party

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by doood View Post
Idk where you're from, but here, the street scene and drag strip is still full of broke kids barely breaking 15s. It's a sad day when my car is the fastest at the races. There are a few heavy hitters that come out occasionally but nobody ever wants to run them for obvious reasons.

Speaking strictly Hondas here.

Phett has a 10 second Integra. PekPek has a 9 second civic. Pretty sure MadMax is in the 11s. Cinderella does 12s. My car does 12s. Chris's CRX does 12s.

SUP WITH DAT 13 DOE DOOOD?

Coming to CMI?
Old 03-14-2014, 11:37 AM
been there done that

Originally Posted by 2LEM1 View Post
Phett has a 10 second Integra. PekPek has a 9 second civic. Pretty sure MadMax is in the 11s. Cinderella does 12s. My car does 12s. Chris's CRX does 12s.

SUP WITH DAT 13 DOE DOOOD?

Coming to CMI?
**** you cuh it does 12.5 on a good day.

I'll be there but not running. Gotta support the homies.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:39 AM
GLD's Expert

My car does 12s.
pics or else i'll assume you're talking bout 1/8 mile
Old 03-14-2014, 11:42 AM
.likes trains

Originally Posted by crazyhouse2011 View Post
The race scene here is 100 percent high school brian oconnors with tricked out slow cars, like miatas and 3000gt base models. The VR4 was quick, but the base model is slower than my grandmas grand marquis.
Speaking of Miatas...

there's a guy that wanted to trade ****** for aftermarket parts for his miata....
Old 03-14-2014, 11:45 AM
Pirate General...YARRRR

where?

I may get a free miata if i lighten the collection.

I mean interesting.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:49 AM
I like to party

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tennobanzai View Post
pics or else i'll assume you're talking bout 1/8 mile

Pics of what? The time slip? I don't really feel like digging it out but it wen't 12.4 up in Vegas. On small cams and a DC header.

I now have bigger cams and am shopping new headers.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:52 AM
Pirate General...YARRRR

Pics of what? The time slip? I don't really feel like digging it out but it wen't 12.4 up in Vegas. On small cams and a DC header.

I now have bigger cams and am shopping new headers.
At least call the specs... respectfully raise my bs flag on that.

MY civic's a lot lighter, I have a lot of wheel time and had slicks I may have had more power too and was not running 12s at one of the fastest tracks in the country.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has street racing / car building turned into a hobby primarily for the wealthy?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.