For the Gram - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.

For the Gram

Old 05-15-2018, 06:32 AM
HT White Ops

Default For the Gram

Nine-year-old Instagram star Lil Tay’s ‘flexing’ got her mom fired — that’s only the beginning of her reign of terror

https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/14/1...tars-instagram

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single, foul-mouthed young girl in possession of riches must be in want of viral fame.

At (allegedly) nine years old, viral star Lil Tay made headlines last week for getting her mother, Angela Tian, fired over her profanity-laden videos. If you haven’t heard of Lil Tay by now, consider yourself lucky. As the (repeatedly) self-anointed “youngest flexer of the century,” the kid does everything from revving “her” Ferraris to tossing stacks of hundred-dollar bills in the air with YouTube star Jake Paul. “I’m out here flexing to y’all broke-*** haters!” she crows, like a Lost Boy from hell, in one of her Instagram posts. “I got a $350,000 chain, y’all haven’t seen this in your lives, I’m richer than all y’all... y’all broke and jealous.”

Perhaps unsurprisingly, all that underaged “flexing” is now reaping real-world consequences. It was reported Thursday that Tay’s mother, Angela Tian, has been fired from her plum job as a Vancouver real estate agent for her involvement in those videos. “As of last week Angela is no longer attached with our firm,” Jim Lew, director of business development for Pacific Place Group, confirmed to The Verge in an email. “Our firm does not condone this type of behavior and has no place for this in our business.”

By “this type of behavior,” Lew no doubt is referring to Tian’s role as both Lil Tay’s mother and her manager, though subsequent posts on Lil Tay’s Instagram loudly state that she isn’t managed by anyone. Glimpses of a woman who looks like Lil Tay’s mom can be seen in this video (skip to 0:36). Lil Tay had not responded to requests for comment at press time.

The nature of social media and outrage culture means that an over-the-top caricature like Lil Tay was bound to go viral. She’s everything we’d hate to become, yet simultaneously aspire to as a culture, enhanced and stuffed into a grotesquely small package. Watching her videos makes you feel something unpleasant has latched onto your brain and started eating.

With over 1.7 million followers on Instagram, Lil Tay is every proverbial car crash you can’t look away from, except in miniature — painfully, cringingly miniature. She’s messy, like a growing child star plastered across the pages of tabloids over the past few decades, but she also embodies everything we understand about excess, about being extra. And if Lil Tay is already allowed to do this at nine years old, as she stresses in every post, it’s unlikely her mother’s termination will be a wake-up call. According to The National Post, Tian has reportedly already said that critics simply “don’t get the joke” and that Lil Tay’s videos are “comedy” and “acting.”

Given Lil Tay’s latest post was just yesterday — in which she actually drives a Rolls Royce a few feet, with a dog in sunglasses in the passenger seat, and kicks the car door to prove she definitely owns it — it’s only logical that she’s nowhere near done flexing, especially as fans continue to flood her Instagram and YouTube accounts with likes and views. “I’m trying to accomplish my dreams,” she cries in one of her videos to “haters” who were reporting her account for one reason or another.

But Lil Tay’s rise to stardom feels as familiar as it does singularly horrifying. Her antics ring some of the same bells as the child stars of yesteryear, from Judy Garland to Corey Haim to Lindsay Lohan, all of whom developed tumultuous relationships with the public as they approached adolescence. Tabloids follow along rabidly as kids act (and are treated) like adults, all the way through the eventual arrests and multiple rehab stints, burning brightly only to eventually crash and burn in front of our eyes.

But the more recent crops of famous kids — first reality stars, then viral hits like Tay — have more often than not started and maintained their careers by being outrageous for the sake of being outrageous, rewarded with fame and followers because of it. That’s noticeably true for a lot of the prominent content creators on now-defunct micro-video platform Vine (RIP). Vine gave way to really snappy, funny, and slapstick comedy snippets that can be digested readily and easily. It’s how we got Logan and Jake Paul, who now each have millions of followers on YouTube, their second home. These new stars have been propelled into the spotlight for being bad first, rather than starring in any notable movies or TV shows; sometimes, they’re famous for having no obvious talent at all. Viewers love a hot mess, and more views equals financial success in this world where clicks and eyeballs equals monetization.

The bleached-blonde Lil Tay, who has been dubbed everything from “instabrat” to “fake ghetto toddler,” feels like the inevitable hybrid of both strains: she’s simultaneously spiraling out of control and gaining fame for being out of control. Like the Teen Moms or Honey Boo Boo before her, her outrageousness hits a cultural sweet spot. We hate-watch ourselves into existential despair as she develops beefs with her equally pint-sized, equally heinous peers, notably Danielle Bregoli, aka Bhad Bhabie, aka the “cash me outside” girl. (She has admitted, of course, that some fights like one with YouTube star RiceGum aren’t real.) A recent Instagram story claimed that Lil Tay is currently under home arrest, or more likely, grounded. If history is anything to go on, that won’t last long.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

Default Re: For the Gram

Her mom don't need a job. Lil Tay gots a Lmabo!
Old 05-15-2018, 06:36 AM
something gnarly

poor kid
Old 05-15-2018, 06:37 AM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

You know I'm not a stick up kid, and If I were I'd get those two
Old 05-15-2018, 06:42 AM
talks to himself

Not the star we want but the star we deserve.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:54 AM
Don't believe the rumors

Haters literally make her famous
Old 05-15-2018, 06:57 AM
GDD's DJ EX-M0D

Good for Lil Tay. I'm all for people that can capitalize on idiots. It's the 1.6 million followers we should be concerned about.

This girl, Whoah Vicky, Cash me outside girl, Boonk Gang, and the rest of the instagram idiot brigade annoy me to no end, but it's fascinating to me that there are people out there making these type of people rich and famous. They wouldn't be who they are if it wasn't for the swaths of people eating that **** up. That's the story IMO.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:59 AM
Swaggylicious

You guys are about 3 weeks late to the Lil Tay news, her mom made her and got fired from her job
Old 05-15-2018, 06:59 AM
Head Of Bespoke

Originally Posted by 816d16 View Post
Good for Lil Tay. I'm all for people that can capitalize on idiots. It's the 1.6 million followers we should be concerned about.

This girl, Whoah Vicky, Cash me outside girl, Boonk Gang, and the rest of the instagram idiot brigade annoy me to no end, but it's fascinating to me that there are people out there making these type of people rich and famous. They wouldn't be who they are if it wasn't for the swaths of people eating that **** up. That's the story IMO.
Exactly. They are appealing to the lowest common denominator of society.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:05 AM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

Originally Posted by $amGD3 View Post
You guys are about 3 weeks late to the Lil Tay news, her mom made her and got fired from her job
So are Rguy is right, you represent the lowest common denominator of society?
Old 05-15-2018, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Platinum Member

Lil t is a a straight online entrepreneur. Lil t bless
Old 05-15-2018, 07:15 AM
talks to himself

I really wish I could find that album cover $am posted a few years ago. That pic was fire.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:16 AM
Swaggylicious

Originally Posted by kidcool1977 View Post
So are Rguy is right, you represent the lowest common denominator of society?
IM SORRY IM WOKE AF!!

lol, lil tay has been dismissed from the world about a week ago when the stitches that her mom put together unraveled. They tried to "cash me ousside" 2.0 and failed horribly

a bad look on asians tbh
Old 05-15-2018, 07:18 AM
I took way too long

i don't understand this lil girl, and i don't want to.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

WTF did I just watch?? What is wrong with people??

I'm going to go hide back under my rock now.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In the age of the Khardashian empire, is anyone surprised by all of this hot mess?

And I guess she didn't really fail as the amount of Instagram followers is huge right?
Doesn't 1mil + equal a huge pay day? I'm sure they will keep milking it and make this kid a strung out mess in due time.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:26 AM
INSERT TITLE HERE

Ya'll remember back in the 90's when we thought the internet was going to bring easy access to information and enlightenment to the world?

LOL....
Old 05-15-2018, 07:27 AM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

^^^That was the plan, until stupid people got access to it.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:28 AM
eight equals equals equals D

when will IG have video controls? when??
Old 05-15-2018, 07:28 AM
GDD's DJ EX-M0D

Originally Posted by slowman View Post
i don't understand this lil girl, and i don't want to.
That's the thing. She's not for you and me. She's for the people that buy DGK clothes, wear I love h8ters t-shirts, think people holding all the cash in their bank account is impressive and shows true wealth, and think education and speaking properly is for suckers and broke haters.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:30 AM
GDD's DJ EX-M0D

Originally Posted by newt2 View Post
Ya'll remember back in the 90's when we thought the internet was going to bring easy access to information and enlightenment to the world?

LOL....
It did. With any new technology or advancement, there is bad that comes with the good.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:32 AM
footwork mastery

Originally Posted by newt2 View Post

LOL....
LOL!

its bringing broke dumb people to the fore front and we eat it up. Exact reason why I would never follow people like this, “Stars”, hot women etc. **** people
GDD's Dr. Phil?

Originally Posted by 816d16 View Post
That's the thing. She's not for you and me. She's for the people that buy DGK clothes, wear I love h8ters t-shirts, think people holding all the cash in their bank account is impressive and shows true wealth, and think education and speaking properly is for suckers and broke haters.
The danger is if other kids admire and emulate her behavior. Someone needs to cut her tongue out, that'll fix everything.
Honda-Tech Member

This society is a ******* dumpster fire.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:34 AM
GDD's DJ EX-M0D

Originally Posted by oneludesol View Post
The danger is if other kids admire and emulate her behavior. Someone needs to cut her tongue out, that'll fix everything.
Parents parenting would fix things too.

Originally Posted by black_EM1 View Post
This society is a ******* dumpster fire.
Right? This is the issue, not some lady and her kid capitalizing on dumbasses.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.