Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Good Case for Gun Control

Old 11-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Oracle of GDD

Default A Good Case for Gun Control

I am not a gun control guy, but imagine what kind of reaction this provokes among people that are?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.c....html

Originally Posted by CNNSi.com

'Bama-LSU aftermath turns deadly

EVERGREEN, Ala. (AP) -- A man and woman were shot dead after an argument that witnesses said started over an Alabama-LSU football game, but sheriff's investigators said Monday they continued to investigate the motive.

The Conecuh County sheriff's office identified the victims as Dennis James Smith, 41, and Donna Kaye Hall Smith, 39, of Brewton. The two were shot to death about 7 p.m. Saturday in the rural community of Owassa in southern Alabama.

Michael W. Williams, 28, was arrested and charged with two counts of murder over the shooting at his home, where he had watched the game. He was being held Monday without bond. A sheriff's investigator handling the case did not know if he had an attorney.

An investigator said Monday that people watching the game at Williams' home said the dispute was over the game, which Alabama won 27-21 in overtime Saturday, but an investigation into the motive was not complete. The investigator also said alcohol may have been a factor.

According to witness accounts to investigators, Dennis Smith, an LSU fan, called Williams, an Alabama fan, after the game, and the Smiths then went to Williams' home, where a physical altercation led to the shooting.

Investigators said Dennis Smith had a pistol and Williams had a shotgun and fired.

Authorities said Donna Smith was a relative of Williams' girlfriend.

Relatives of both the victims and the suspect either declined comment or did not immediately return phone messages Monday from The Associated Press.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:05 PM

Default Re: A Good Case for Gun Control (Ross)

Originally Posted by Ross
I am not a gun control guy, but imagine what kind of reaction this provokes among people that are?
No difference to me. I find road rage incidents far more troubling (and common). Hard to imagine someplace you are more secure than in your car -- should you choose to avoid altercation -- yet there are more than a few shootings that happen that way.

SCOTUS has spoken, but I still think they were wrong, as evidenced by the flaws in Scalia's hypo. If the Constitution allows an individual right to bear arms, it should not be limited as it is. If it does not, the will of the people should control.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Oracle of GDD

Default Re: A Good Case for Gun Control (Mark sans)

I don't actually think there is any good case for gun control, but folks like me are fighting an uphill battle when stories like this make the news.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no need for gun control, give these people guns so they end themselves.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A Good Case for Gun Control (The Hooligan)

There are no good cases for gun control. I have said to many people guns don't shoot themselves. They should have a gun education class like they have sex education classes imo as they are both teach very invaluable lessons.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:41 PM
Banned

[freak] gun control, how about people control. If we could control breeding, maybe we wouldn't have any Alabama fans.

Stupid people will do what stupid people do, whether it is with a gun, car, bat, rock, etc. Brian Nichols stole his gun and went on a rampage in Atlanta. There was a woman who drove her car down the sidewalk, kids that throw rocks off overpasses at passing cars, etc.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:51 PM

If I'm reading that right, sounds like self defense to me.

DudeA calls DudeB, gives him an earful. DudeA and his wife, hop in the car - armed- and drive to DudeB's house. Where an altercation occurs resulting in DudeA getting shot along with some chick.

Not enough facts to really make any conclusion.

What is odd is that the chick is a relative of DudeA's girlfriend, yet has the same last name as DudeA.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:08 PM

Default Re: A Good Case for Gun Control (The Hooligan)

Originally Posted by The Hooligan
no need for gun control, give these people guns so they end themselves.

I would not want to go "trick or treating" at there house.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A Good Case for Gun Control (2000BoostedEX)

Originally Posted by 2000BoostedEX
There are no good cases for gun control. I have said to many people guns don't shoot themselves.
This example always cracks me up. RPGs don't shoot down planes by themself either. Same logic says they should be legal.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A Good Case for Gun Control (njn63)

The thing everyone needs to realize is the needs of an urban area aren't the same as a rural area. The quicker everyone recognizes this, the better.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:33 PM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.c....html
While every death is horrible, any stories you can produce seriously pale in comparison to stats like

Mao years:

* Terror against the counterrevolutionaries: 2 million people executed during the first three years of the PRC.
* Great Leap Forward: 15-30 million famine-related deaths.
* Cultural Revolution: 400,000, citing a 1979 estimate by Agence France Presse.

Romania:

* Rummel: 484,000 democides under kings Carol & Michael (1938-48) incl. 302,000 Jews.

Dyadkin, I.G. (Demograficheskaya statistika neyestestvennoy smertnosti v SSSR 1918-1956 ): 56 to 62 million "unnatural deaths" for the USSR overall, with 34 to 49 million under Stalin.

http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/warstat1.htm
Old 11-10-2008, 06:41 PM
Paragraph Alert

Originally Posted by njn63

This example always cracks me up. RPGs don't shoot down planes by themself either. Same logic says they should be legal.
Yeah why not? I'm completely serious.

Have you ever heard of an automobile? I'll willing to bet they cause more deaths than all RPG attacks throughout history combined.

You also know that I can go get two 5 gallon cans of gas, light them and go throw them through the bottom window of any multi-story apartment complex and cause more death and destruction than 10 RPG's all for less than about $35 don't you?

There are a million things out there that are just as deadly as RPG's that are completely legal to use through proper training and licensing. Being legal is NOT the same thing as being easily accessible.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Resident Vagabond

Default Re: A Good Case for Gun Control (ActiveAero)

Originally Posted by ActiveAero

Yeah why not? I'm completely serious.

Have you ever heard of an automobile? I'll willing to bet they cause more deaths than all RPG attacks throughout history combined.

You also know that I can go get two 5 gallon cans of gas, light them and go throw them through the bottom window of any multi-story apartment complex and cause more death and destruction than 10 RPG's all for less than about $35 don't you?

There are a million things out there that are just as deadly as RPG's that are completely legal to use through proper training and licensing. Being legal is NOT the same thing as being easily accessible.
An RPG serves no other purpose than death/destruction. Comparing RPGs to cars is like comparing hangings with chiropractics.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

While I understand the point you are making, there isn't a war on rpgs. The people using them are generally held accountable for their actions

The only thing that I always found ironic was that, generally speaking, those who oppose the war on drugs support firearms restriction, even though similar arguments could be made for both. If illegal both would still be readily available.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:31 PM
Grandpa

A Good Case for Gun Control
Seems to me it's more a case for mandatory psychological counselling.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A Good Case for Gun Control (George Knighton)

gun control: being able to hit what you're shooting.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The thing everyone needs to realize is the needs of an urban area aren't the same as a rural area. The quicker everyone recognizes this, the better.
I agree. the only way to have sensible gun laws is to leave it to the states. which requires a more left-leaning supreme court I suppose.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:56 PM
Paragraph Alert

Default Re: A Good Case for Gun Control (Kookz)

Originally Posted by Kookz
An RPG serves no other purpose than death/destruction.
The same can be said about all guns, explosives, swords, bows, etc. All of those things are legal through proper licensing.

Besides there are FAR worse weapons than RPG's that are legalized. WWII collector societies have full fledged automatic .50 caliber machine guns, etc. Have you ever been scared walking down the street in America wondering when you're going to get mowed down by an anti-aircraft gun lol? It's completely reasonable that a person could own an RPG without having the intent to use it on someone.....especially considering there are MUCH easier and effective methods of harming someone. A 12ga shotgun will leave me just as dead as an RPG.

And as I said earlier just because something can be legal does NOT mean it has to be easily accessible.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:29 AM
Banned

States rights FTW. In reality that is the only effective way to run this country. Every area is different, but many people would have you believe the federal government can apply a national fix. This morning there was a story about South Carolina having the highest rate of violent crimes. If the federal government sees that number then everyone should have to have the same level of restriction that SC needs to correct its problem. Doesn't matter that Florida supposedly has a falling rate of violent crime (attributed to better concealed carry laws).
Old 11-11-2008, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Where the wild things are in, NY, United States of America
Default Re: (turboteener)

Originally Posted by turboteener
Doesn't matter that Florida supposedly has a falling rate of violent crime (attributed to better concealed carry laws).
I'd like to see something linking the two.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:29 AM

BAH! That's crazy talk! With an RPG, you could fight against the government. And CLEARLY, that's not what the Framers intnded with the 2nd Amendment. That's why the Federalist Papers and the other collected contemporaneous writings all address crime issues and not the ability of the people to overthrow the government. ...

Right?
Old 11-11-2008, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default FV-QR

Gun control is ridiculous and it takes the power away from the people. The government is supposed to fear us. The government is supposed to want to do its job correctly because they want to appease the people. Without our guns to protect ourselves, what keeps the government from rounding up the dissidents and assassinating or imprisoning them like has been done so many other times around the world?
Old 11-11-2008, 12:08 PM
Screw you guys, I'm... going... home.

Default Re: FV-QR (rockcity)

Originally Posted by rockcity
Gun control is ridiculous and it takes the power away from the people. The government is supposed to fear us. The government is supposed to want to do its job correctly because they want to appease the people. Without our guns to protect ourselves, what keeps the government from rounding up the dissidents and assassinating or imprisoning them like has been done so many other times around the world?
Do you think that there should be any limitations on who is allowed to buy a gun (ex-cons, children, the mentally handicapped, the criminally insane, legal/illegal immigrants, foreign nationals, etc), what guns they can buy (full auto, rpgs, mortars, anti-aircraft, etc), where or how they can buy them (at 7-11, out of someone's trunk in a school parking lot, no ID/permit/license required, etc), or where they can carry them (bank, school, nightclub, court of law, etc)? Just curious.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FV-QR (tjbizzo)

Originally Posted by tjbizzo
Do you think that there should be any limitations on who is allowed to buy a gun (ex-cons, children, the mentally handicapped, the criminally insane, legal/illegal immigrants, foreign nationals, etc), what guns they can buy (full auto, rpgs, mortars, anti-aircraft, etc), where or how they can buy them (at 7-11, out of someone's trunk in a school parking lot, no ID/permit/license required, etc), or where they can carry them (bank, school, nightclub, court of law, etc)? Just curious.
I think there should be limitations on who can carry a concealed weapon. If you are bad guy and you have a gun on your hip, and I am a good guy with a gun on my hip, then chances are, you're going to be much less inclined to mess with me.

Now, I tend to agree with a lot of your other points and arguments in GDD. However, here you are leaning towards the straw man arena. Obviously, it is not ok for children to have small fire arms although I see no problem with them having rifles or shotguns. I was given my first shotgun at age five and I graduated to a Marlin .22 at age seven. In high school, my friends and I would go hunting at 3 a.m and then go to school all day with our guns in our trucks. Anyone looking to shoot up our school would have been quickly neutralized.

Obviously if someone is mentally handicapped or has been proven insane, then they should not have access to weapons. Also, being an immigrant or foreign national, whether illegal or legal, has nothing to do with your right to own a gun and defend yourself. If you have a violent criminal record then you should not be allowed to carry a concealed weapon or have any weapon outside of your home.

RPGs, mortars, and anti-aircraft are so far from guns that I will ignore that and save you the embarrassment.

I do not think we should be concerned as to where the guns are bought. Telling us who or who cannot sell a weapon and where they can sell it is infringing on our rights. It allows the government to keep tabs on us and when they are ready, they can simply come and take the guns from us since they know what kind of gun we have, where we live, and even how much we paid for it. Just look at New Orleans, there are people there who still haven't had their guns returned to them. The government took them under the pretense of their own safety.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:09 PM
Banned

I suppose the case being made is if we all have guns than it comes down to who has the bigger ***** to fire. In other words we'll have MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction) on a individual level. I really don't think that would work because if people have the means to kill and get into a trivial fight such as road rage, at the bar, in the club, in the supermarket line, they will likely pull out. No kind of gun training can tame human aggression.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.