Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Community Forums > General Discussion and Debate
Reload this Page >

Getting shafted by my insurance co. My top slashed/seats stolen

Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting shafted by my insurance co. My top slashed/seats stolen

Old 08-07-2007, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Getting shafted by my insurance co. My top slashed/seats stolen

I will try to make this short as possible, but it has been total hell.

My car recently had her top cut and my seats were stolen out of the car, right in front of my house. Encompass sent out an appraiser to look at my car quote me a price of $5000 for my seats from a junkyard. I am currently on vacation in Florida, and I told them that I have to be home ASAP so I taped up my top til I get home. Anyways, I told him that I didnt want seats from a junkyard and that I would rather have them cut me a check so I can buy elsewhere. He asked me how much I could get the seats for and I said around $1600 or so. He said he would cut me a check for $1600-500 Deductible = $1100. Which is NOT enough to buy the seats. This isnt including the gas, time, and mileage I would be spending driving 2 hours away to pick them up.

I argued that he should cut me a check for what the seats are worth and NOT what I can get them for. Especially since they are gonna add the deductible to my price. Can I fight this? These seats from honda new are about $10000, which is twice what I am asking. My seats were in great condition. If i were to get into a fender bender and cause $5000 worth of damage but I had a friend who could fix it for $3000; I would expect them to cut me a check for $5000, right?

Its not exactly like I am trying to come out on top, but I just want what I was entitled to. I have been argueing with my appraiser and adjuster all day. They even pushed the claim through SIU. I called up and talked to an SIU manager and he said that the adjuster thought I might of commited fraud since I was not settling for the $1100. I told him that that was not the case and I have been with them since I was 16 (I am 21) and my family have all been with them. We live in southern illinois and cant even imagine this ever happening up there, but I guess it happens alot down here. The price I gave them was just word of mouth and nothing in writing. I thought about telling them that the guy sold the seats or something. I dont know what to do. Any suggestions? I have Encompass/Allstate by the way.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:19 PM
Me Gusta History

Default Re: Getting shafted by my insurance co. My top slashed/seats stolen (tuan...)

I have Encompass adn they've always been good to me with claims.

It's weird that they're saying you should get junkyard seats...I wouldnt trust junkyard seats. Tell them new Honda OEM.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nah im not getting junkyard seats, they are just getting a used price. No way in hell will I ever get junkyard seats
Old 08-07-2007, 07:36 PM
It Wasn't Me!

Default Re: (tuan...)

Honda doesn't sell complete seats. The only way to get a "new" OEM seat is to get them out of a brand new car or build one from parts.

I'm sure both options are far beyond what the fine print in your policy says they are obligated to pay to replace the seats.

If I were in your situation I would look for a used set with bad covers for cheap then recover them.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:39 PM
ⒽⓉ ④ ⓁⒾⒻⒺ

Default Re: Getting shafted by my insurance co. My top slashed/seats stolen (tuan...)

There's a reason why you have a 'deductible'. You should be happy they're willing to cut you a check minus your deductible.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:40 PM
trapped in my own room!

Default Re: (someone else)

Why not just get aftermarket seats?
Old 08-07-2007, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Getting shafted by my insurance co. My top slashed/seats stolen (nek0)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nek0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There's a reason why you have a 'deductible'. You should be happy they're willing to cut you a check minus your deductible.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I understand this, but if they were willing to shell out $5000 for junkyard seats and im saving them $3400 for buying my own, should they be happy with that? Why still go after me for the $500 when i just saved them $3400?
Old 08-07-2007, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MF Doom)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MF Doom &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why not just get aftermarket seats?</TD></TR></TABLE>

cust most of them are ugly or are too wide to fit in the S
Old 08-07-2007, 07:44 PM

I think the big mistake here was saying "oh, I don't need all that, it'll just cost me this." I'd say you made a mistake and were looking at seats for a different car, and now that you look around 5k originally assessed seems about right or something like that.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:46 PM
It Wasn't Me!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tuan... &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I understand this, but if they were willing to shell out $5000 for junkyard seats and im saving them $3400 for buying my own, should they be happy with that? Why still go after me for the $500 when i just saved them $3400? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Because that's the way insurance works.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nek0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There's a reason why you have a 'deductible'. You should be happy they're willing to cut you a check minus your deductible.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly. If you were having it repaired at a shop you would have to pay the shop $500 of the final bill.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:46 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tuan... &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

cust most of them are ugly or are too wide to fit in the S</TD></TR></TABLE>

Look for Miata model seats. Lots of good options with narrow frames to fit in the tiny little MX5. I know Spearco and Recaro have models that fit. A $550/ea. budget is a pretty damn good start for aftermarket. They ain't all OBX
Old 08-07-2007, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Getting shafted by my insurance co. My top slashed/seats stolen (someone else)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cruorem &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think the big mistake here was saying "oh, I don't need all that, it'll just cost me this." I'd say you made a mistake and were looking at seats for a different car, and now that you look around 5k originally assessed seems about right or something like that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea I'm trying to figure out an excuse. I've thought about saying the guy either decided he didnt want to sell them anymore or that he jacked up his price because he heard I was getting screwed or something.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by someone else &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Because that's the way insurance works.

Exactly. If you were having it repaired at a shop you would have to pay the shop $500 of the final bill. </TD></TR></TABLE>

if thats the case, they can eat the $10,000 bill at Honda. stupid *****

Old 08-07-2007, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Prodigal Son)

next time go with SAFECO

Need a quote...?
Old 08-07-2007, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha.. i am all game for switching companies after this...
Old 08-07-2007, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

any advice other then bashing? you guys act like you wouldnt want the extra $$ if you were in this situation
Old 08-07-2007, 09:04 PM
It Wasn't Me!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tuan... &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">any advice other then bashing? you guys act like you wouldnt want the extra $$ if you were in this situation</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wasn't bashing. Just a little amused by the fairly typical naive understanding about how insurance companies work. Insurance companies are up there with lawyers and politicians as far as being absolute scum. I routinely deal with insurance claims at work and the company is always looking for the cheaper option and a way to payout less money. And they do it all legally.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (someone else)

lol, they weren't going to make you get seats from a junkyard. i dont understand why you didn't take the 5k check???? that was a quote and its up to you to get the work done. you could have just taken the 5k check and bought seats. you dont have to tell them where you're getting them from.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:33 PM
dotmichael to you

am i reading this right? S2000 seats from Honda brand new are $10,000?
Old 08-07-2007, 09:39 PM
Princess

Default Re: Getting shafted by my insurance co. My top slashed/seats stolen (. M i c h a e l)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by . M i c h a e l &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">am i reading this right? S2000 seats from Honda brand new are $10,000?</TD></TR></TABLE>

sort of...you can't just buy the seats as one unit, you have to piece them all together, and it gets pretty damn expensive to do so. I saw a thread on here awhile back and it was right at 10k to get them new...
Old 08-07-2007, 09:41 PM
dotmichael to you

Default Re: Getting shafted by my insurance co. My top slashed/seats stolen (...Lost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ...Lost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

sort of...you can't just buy the seats as one unit, you have to piece them all together, and it gets pretty damn expensive to do so. I saw a thread on here awhile back and it was right at 10k to get them new...</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow. just wow. i know the whole integra type r interior is around $7,000 but thats seats, door panels and arm rest....and thats still seven THOUSAND.

wow.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:44 PM
It Wasn't Me!

Default Re: Getting shafted by my insurance co. My top slashed/seats stolen (...Lost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ...Lost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

sort of...you can't just buy the seats as one unit, you have to piece them all together, and it gets pretty damn expensive to do so. I saw a thread on here awhile back and it was right at 10k to get them new...</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is correct. I ran an estimate on it for an insurance company a while back. The labor is a killer. We had to build an Odyssey seat from scratch a while back and it was a pain in the ***.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:20 AM

Can you not ask them to show you the quote for the lower price to prove you can get seats that cheap?? Otherwise the only quote they have would be $5000 am i right?

I dont see how they can get away with the $1600 -$500 if its not a written quote for that much money
Old 08-08-2007, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the seats are 4hrs away. They siad they will pay me $1600 + 80(markup?) + tax + $160 for gas, +100 for time - 500 deductible = which is about $1500 after all said and done. Should I just take this and go? My honda is estimate is $11000 for seats and top install. I am really fed up about all this and im about to just give in.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:01 AM
Collector-o-Guns and Drinker

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tuan... &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">He asked me how much I could get the seats for and I said around $1600 or so.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That was a big mistake.

Mistake #2 was not saying "I'm not going to screw around with this. Fix my car."
Old 08-08-2007, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i gave in and took the check, im tired of dealing with this. theres another battle lost to insurance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Getting shafted by my insurance co. My top slashed/seats stolen

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.