Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

#GDDD: General Detailing Discussion & Debate

Old 04-22-2019, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: #GDDD: General Detailing Discussion & Debate

Originally Posted by CAN97SH View Post
I don't even need this gun but you guys are making me want one

What I do need is a longer hose. Tired of dragging my pressure washer around.

It's nice out today. Time to wash and seal my wheels
Yeah I need a 50' PW hose badly. Debating on pickup up a Coxreels wall mount PW hose reel. $150+ doe
Old 04-22-2019, 07:13 AM
Resident Hoser #1

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
Yeah I need a 50' PW hose badly. Debating on pickup up a Coxreels wall mount PW hose reel. $150+ doe
I pulled the pressure washer out on the weekend. All I need is about 30' and I'd be set. 50' might be too much for me. Just need to find one now and some 3/8" quick connects for my hose and gun!

Wheels are cured but I think I'll add another layer of the beadmaker then put them on this weekend
Old 04-22-2019, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I got the 50' hose from northern tool for $50, but they have some for half that price on ebay.

I did notice a little pressure drop. and kind of a different behavior when spraying especially with the foam cannon. 50' is kind of a lot of hose and it acts somewhat as an accumulator, so when you first squeeze the trigger you get a spike of pressure, then a drop, and it levels out

its a little annoying but worth it, since I can leave the PW parked and still make it all the way around the cars, even to the neighbors driveway.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:32 AM
aka DaZman69!

So this guy applied a bunch of wax and ceramic coatings to a car hood about 16 months ago. He leaves the hood outside and every month or so he washes the hood with soap and water to see which coating is still holding up. Several of the ceramic coatings have failed. You won’t believe what is still going strong. Fing nufinish!

You can see all of his videos but below is his latest one

Old 04-22-2019, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 361 accord View Post
I got the 50' hose from northern tool for $50, but they have some for half that price on ebay.

I did notice a little pressure drop. and kind of a different behavior when spraying especially with the foam cannon. 50' is kind of a lot of hose and it acts somewhat as an accumulator, so when you first squeeze the trigger you get a spike of pressure, then a drop, and it levels out

its a little annoying but worth it, since I can leave the PW parked and still make it all the way around the cars, even to the neighbors driveway.
Matt Moreman at Obsessed Garage recently conducted exhaustive testing of nearly every entry-level pressure washer you can buy (seriously, he bought 60+ PW's and tested them all), including flow and pressure testing using a gun-mounted gauge, using both stock 25' hoses and the OG-spec Kobrajet 75-foot hoses. The results were no detectable loss in pressure or flow between the different hose lengths. It might take a split second longer for the high pressure water to start flowing after squeezing the trigger, but after that the performance was the same.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sflkgjsfndgn View Post
So this guy applied a bunch of wax and ceramic coatings to a car hood about 16 months ago. He leaves the hood outside and every month or so he washes the hood with soap and water to see which coating is still holding up. Several of the ceramic coatings have failed. You wonít believe what is still going strong. Fing nufinish!

You can see all of his videos but below is his latest one

https://youtu.be/fznghWNhPzA
lol I remember that stuff that's all my dad ever used back in the day.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:11 AM
Resident Hoser #1

He's probably paid by Nu Finish
Old 04-22-2019, 09:14 AM
aka DaZman69!

I’m literally not doing a ceramic coat now because of that video. Just going to use nufinish once a year just like the bottle says. Sweet, I love when I find easy a cheap solutions that are almost as good as the really expensive solutions.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I’m literally not doing a ceramic coat now because of that video. Just going to use nufinish once a year just like the bottle says. Sweet, I love when I find easy a cheap solutions that are almost as good as the really expensive solutions.
Thats basically it meng.

I'm cool with every 6 months (before and after winter basically) reapplying something if its going to save hundreds a year messing with ceramic coatings. I've had people as me if I do ceramic coatings yet and I just cant see the cost benefit yet. There is just so many alternatives that dont require a full blown paint correction to apply
Old 04-22-2019, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ya I'm not that hardcore either. What do you even mean exactly when you say color correction?
Car is an 03. Inside kept most of the time when it could be,but some sun fade to the color. I know nothing brings it back like fresh paint,but looking for something that would at least restore a little luster. Buffing with 3 compounds would only highlight the fade even more. Just thought maybe someone has used something different than 6+hrs on a buffer.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Matt Moreman at Obsessed Garage recently conducted exhaustive testing of nearly every entry-level pressure washer you can buy (seriously, he bought 60+ PW's and tested them all), including flow and pressure testing using a gun-mounted gauge, using both stock 25' hoses and the OG-spec Kobrajet 75-foot hoses. The results were no detectable loss in pressure or flow between the different hose lengths. It might take a split second longer for the high pressure water to start flowing after squeezing the trigger, but after that the performance was the same.
I guess its just in my head then.

Iím literally not doing a ceramic coat now because of that video. Just going to use nufinish once a year just like the bottle says. Sweet, I love when I find easy a cheap solutions that are almost as good as the really expensive solutions.
but doesn't the ceamic offer some degree of swirl protection that sealants don't and additional gloss and UV protection?
Old 04-22-2019, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

but doesn't the ceamic offer some degree of swirl protection that sealants don't and additional gloss and UV protection?
Depends on which flavor, not all are the same.

Some people lump anything that's a hydrophobic ceramic layer in that category. But Ceramic Pro 9h for instance is a hardening layer, I've had it on two black vehicles and never a hint of a swirl on either.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:31 PM
Resident Hoser #1

Originally Posted by sikefcrx89 View Post
Car is an 03. Inside kept most of the time when it could be,but some sun fade to the color. I know nothing brings it back like fresh paint,but looking for something that would at least restore a little luster. Buffing with 3 compounds would only highlight the fade even more. Just thought maybe someone has used something different than 6+hrs on a buffer.
Depends. I've watched videos of faded paint that has been brought back to life with polishing

If you have the gear and products then make a test spot to see it's outcome. You might be surprised
Old 04-22-2019, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Depends. I've watched videos of faded paint that has been brought back to life with polishing

If you have the gear and products then make a test spot to see it's outcome. You might be surprised
Kind of what I'm thinking. I don't have a gauge to check clear thickness is what scares me. Especially factory paint. Guess I'll have to break out the material and take some pictures and see what the results are.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Kind of what I'm thinking. I don't have a gauge to check clear thickness is what scares me. Especially factory paint. Guess I'll have to break out the material and take some pictures and see what the results are.
I mean are we talking like an old exotic where the paint is worth money? I dont really see the point in going that far otherwise
Old 04-23-2019, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg View Post
I mean are we talking like an old exotic where the paint is worth money? I dont really see the point in going that far otherwise
Nothing of the sort,just wanted to see if I can return some luster without going ***** deep.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:59 PM
Resident Hoser #1

Nothing of the sort,just wanted to see if I can return some luster without going ***** deep.
I'd like a gauge but more for curiosity sake.

Pickup a 2 in 1 cut and polish. That'll cut your time/effort down. I have and used Sonax Perfect Finish and it works really good

I threw on a second coat of beadmaker to my wheels this evening. They are so silky smooth now
Old 04-23-2019, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

www.detailedimage.com has a 5 gallon thing of beadmaker for $92, or a one gallon jug for $21, little bottle for 7 bucks sale ends in one hour

https://www.detailedimage.com/PS-M11...872/128-oz-S2/
Old 04-24-2019, 03:39 AM
Resident Hoser #1

www.detailedimage.com has a 5 gallon thing of beadmaker for $92, or a one gallon jug for $21, little bottle for 7 bucks sale ends in one hour

https://www.detailedimage.com/PS-M11...872/128-oz-S2/
Looks like the price has already gone up. It doesnt look like those ******* ship to Canada either. It doesn't matter. I'll have my gallon in a could days anyway
Old 04-25-2019, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd like a gauge but more for curiosity sake.

Pickup a 2 in 1 cut and polish. That'll cut your time/effort down. I have and used Sonax Perfect Finish and it works really good

I threw on a second coat of beadmaker to my wheels this evening. They are so silky smooth now
If I get a few extra minutes this weekend,Im going to just give it a good hose down and work a couple buffer compounds in by hand see if anything comes of it. Not looking for Showroom new. I may have to order some of the Sonax if 2 stages won't give me at least some good results.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:03 PM
Resident Hoser #1

A 2 stage cut and polish should technically do a better job than the Sonax perfect finish. This all of course depends on the cutting product, polish product and pads that you are using.

I started the process on my car now. Started with the roof. I used a medium cutting pad with Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover. It did a pretty good job but there were still some RIDS. I tried a yellow heavy cutting pad. A little better but RIDS still exist. I don't think there is any easy way to remove them so I'll just have to live with em. I havent done any polishing yet or protectant so maybe that will cover some of this stuff up. Looks and feels great though I used the lite duty clay mitt before doing anything. Love that thing
Old 04-25-2019, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A 2 stage cut and polish should technically do a better job than the Sonax perfect finish. This all of course depends on the cutting product, polish product and pads that you are using.

I started the process on my car now. Started with the roof. I used a medium cutting pad with Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover. It did a pretty good job but there were still some RIDS. I tried a yellow heavy cutting pad. A little better but RIDS still exist. I don't think there is any easy way to remove them so I'll just have to live with em. I havent done any polishing yet or protectant so maybe that will cover some of this stuff up. Looks and feels great though I used the lite duty clay mitt before doing anything. Love that thing
Microfiber cutting pad on a DA machine would likely take care of it, preferably a 15mm long throw such as Griot's Boss, MagicShine, Rupes LHR15, etc.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:32 PM
Resident Hoser #1

I've never tried microfiber pads before. They cut heavy? I use a porter cable DA.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:04 PM
0x5359-0055

Google caught me detailing

Old 04-25-2019, 05:09 PM
Resident Hoser #1

Ha nice

You use Jetseal right?

After a polish do you do an iso wipedown before applying Jetseal?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: #GDDD: General Detailing Discussion & Debate

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.