GDD Parents Would You Do This? - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.

GDD Parents Would You Do This?

Old 08-08-2018, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default GDD Parents Would You Do This?

So to make a long story short, when I was a senior in HS I was in the office when a students mother came in with her son middle of freshman year. He had been out of school the first half because he broke his back in a car accident, the office officials told him that he would have to re-take freshman year because he missed too much school. The mother than had said he daughter once she turned 16 decided to leave high school, get her GED and go into community college. Her daughter now 18 finished her associates degree and transferred over to Arizona State University to complete he Bachelors Degree. At the time I was like holy crap, you can do that?

Fast forward to now, I've been talking to my wife and son about this for the past year or so and did all the research on how this works. In order to get your GED you have to be 16, withdraw from HS, take a 4 part GED test that takes about 8 hours but you can spread them out and complete your Civics Test.

So my son just finished Freshman year this past June and he said he wanted to do it, so I purchased the GED test prep books, found things online and had him study for the test. A few things I didn't know about GED testing is you have a Pass, a College Ready Pass and a Pass with College Credits. So based off of how well you do on the GED you can actually get college credit. Anyway my son studied for two months and I paid $140 for all 4 tests and $6 dollars a piece for online practice exams. Over a two day period he took his tests and passed with College Ready and had already completed his Civics exams.

So now he has his GED, step two was to have him apply to college, take the placement tests, student orientation and register for classes. We finished the application process, he took three placement tests and essentially scored college ready in math, reading and writing and this Saturday he is going to new student orientation and registration with starting his freshman year of college on the 20th.

Has anyone GDD parents out there thought about doing something like this and just bypassing two years of high school for their kids and having them just go right into college? I wish I would have known about this when I was in school and obviously schools aren't really going to encourage kids to do this.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:54 AM
816d16 owes me money!

Default Re: GDD Parents Would You Do This?

I guess it would depend on my 16 year old's maturity level. Not that 18 is any better these days, but it's an interesting approach.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:55 AM
Head Of Bespoke

Stay in school, kids.

No HS degree, but a GED makes it look like you got expelled or were otherwise doing something bad that meant you couldnt finish HS.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:58 AM
washuuu

Originally Posted by usdm420 View Post
I guess it would depend on my 16 year old's maturity level. Not that 18 is any better these days, but it's an interesting approach.
+1.
some kids benefit being around their peers more than others.

My cousin Frank did it, and he turned out fine. Oh wait, he became Francine back in '76, then he joined that cult. I think his name is Mother Shabubu now.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:58 AM
at the jetties fishin'

which college?
Old 08-08-2018, 10:59 AM
I said I don't want a title!

Why though? With AP classes you can earn college credit in HS and/or even take college classes.

Unless said kid has issues with high school life. Otherwise, junior/senior year of HS should be some of the best years of their life.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:00 AM
Drunk Wagon Pilot

No way in hell was I mature enough for college at 16

Hell even at 18 I wasn't
Old 08-08-2018, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Rguy View Post
Stay in school, kids.

No HS degree, but a GED makes it look like you got expelled or were otherwise doing something bad that meant you couldnt finish HS.
See my wife wasn't on board with this 100% either because she also thought this is what you would typically think about someone with a GED. Now my son did great in HS he had an overall GPA of 3.4 was in programs such as Advanced Sports Medicine and Web Development. This past year he got his little sports med and web development certificate and would have done just fine going though the next two years. However I graduated the traditional way and have 3 degrees including a Masters and a SQL Certification and no where on my resume has what HS I graduated from, no body I have ever interviewed with who looks at a resume with a Master Degree asks what HS I went to and most applications ask the highest level of education.

So thinking about this, no one cares what HS you went to if you have a college degree, I mean that is my experience.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:06 AM
eight equals equals equals D

Originally Posted by Rguy View Post
Stay in school, kids.

nobody puts their high school on a resume unless they went to Hogwarts
Old 08-08-2018, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AZ_CIVIC View Post
See my wife wasn't on board with this 100% either because she also thought this is what you would typically think about someone with a GED. Now my son did great in HS he had an overall GPA of 3.4 was in programs such as Advanced Sports Medicine and Web Development. This past year he got his little sports med and web development certificate and would have done just fine going though the next two years. However I graduated the traditional way and have 3 degrees including a Masters and a SQL Certification and no where on my resume has what HS I graduated from, no body I have ever interviewed with who looks at a resume with a Master Degree asks what HS I went to and most applications ask the highest level of education.

So thinking about this, no one cares what HS you went to if you have a college degree, I mean that is my experience.
Lmao wat.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I see nothing wrong with missing out on high school senior pranks, hitting the books hardcore to get ahead but try not too push him to hard. At least make sure he know's what he wants to go to college for and get some intern jobs too. Experience means everything.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:15 AM
Prairie Dog Breeder

Originally Posted by tron_ View Post
Lmao wat.
Yeah, great in high school these days are AP/CP courses with a 4.1 GPA.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also if you think your kid is smart enough, have him load up on AP classes (if he passes the AP exams, he'll receive college credit for those classes) instead of dropping out and going to a community college. That way you can instill the ideas of hard work inside (and outside) school + ensuring he'll get college credit without taking the gamble of having him drop out and go straight to a community college.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93Accord117 View Post
Yeah, great in high school these days are AP/CP courses with a 4.1 GPA.
Yeah, I would consider between a 3.0-3.5 indicative of a pretty average student in high school.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:20 AM
816d16 owes me money!

Pretty much lol
I got low 3's and I fucked off all the time

I must've missed that part. I was thinking he was a 4.0+ kid.

In THIS instance, no I wouldn't advance my child. They aren't "killin it" in HS, why toss them into College?
Old 08-08-2018, 11:23 AM
something gnarly

GPAs are weird now. Wish they kept the 4.0 system. Superior honor roll was a 4.6 or higher at my high school.

I agree with everything todd said.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:25 AM
Do you even red wheels?

Originally Posted by Todd00 View Post
Otherwise, junior/senior year of HS should be some of the best years of their life.
This is exactly what the dumb bag of a guidance counselor told me when she advised I NOT get free college via running start. Rather I should just enjoy HS

I took the free associates degree at my local technical college instead. Partied with college chicks instead of kids. Worked out even more in my favor.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:26 AM
Bloody Beaver

Here in Wisconsin, a GED doesn't mean ****, but a HSED is a true legal equivalent to a HS diploma.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how true?
Old 08-08-2018, 11:28 AM
Prairie Dog Breeder

Originally Posted by tron_ View Post
Yeah, I would consider between a 3.0-3.5 indicative of a pretty average student in high school.
For sure. These days with how expensive college is students need to do a LOT to stand out. Volunteering+sports+IB program is ideal.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:31 AM
Imgur Lives Matter

at a community college?
Old 08-08-2018, 11:33 AM
El Chico

I did this.

1 Associates, two BS and one MBA later here I am.

Guess how many times I have been asked about getting a GED? 0
Old 08-08-2018, 11:35 AM
816d16 owes me money!

How many times have you been asked to step aside in line for the Ferris Wheel tho?
Old 08-08-2018, 11:37 AM
Prairie Dog Breeder

LOLOL!!! Oh man, that was good
Old 08-08-2018, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by usdm420 View Post
Pretty much lol
I got low 3's and I fucked off all the time

I must've missed that part. I was thinking he was a 4.0+ kid.

In THIS instance, no I wouldn't advance my child. They aren't "killin it" in HS, why toss them into College?
Not to mention the myriad of other factors required for a high school student to perform in a college environment. There are plenty of kids who graduate High School with top tier GPAs and ACT/SAT scores that drop out before achieving major standing. There are lots of other psychological, emotional, and neurochemical-related factors that indicate how effectively a student will transition from high school to college. Many of those factors point to the need for a student to attend high school in it's entirety.

OP is better off having his son just take some AP classes and study for the exams outside of class. Those credits are recognized by community colleges as well as traditional four year institutions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.