Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GDD lawyers/those with court experience come in

Old 07-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Cogent Argument Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GDD lawyers/those with court experience come in

This is a spin off of my I hate cops thread. Hopefully some of you know what the situation is, but I'll explain in case.

Basically last Monday I got pulled and was given a suspended registration ticket even though I paid the corresponding fine five days prior, and showed proof to the cop that it was paid. So, because of that, I had to miss four days of work, with no recompense, so I want to fvck over the town however I can. Is it worthwhile to go to the trial date, plead not guilty, and have them go through the BS of another court date to fight it? I have the bank statement showing that the transaction was finalized and posted earlier that day(I was pulled over an hour after the bank closed), is that all I need? Or should I just bring this into the court date and plead guilty and show proof that I was in the right, and hope that they clear everything up? How will this work out? I want to go the safe route, and also whatever wastes as much of their time/money as possible, without having to obtain an attorney.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:10 PM

Default Re: GDD lawyers/those with court experience come in

Defecate in the courthouse lobby.

Duh.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:11 PM
rookn00b

I'd just show 'em proof of payment. Four days of work?
Old 07-02-2009, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by xtrac1 View Post
I'd just show 'em proof of payment. Four days of work?
Yep, had to sit and wait for HR to get the MVR report taken care of and cleared
Old 07-02-2009, 02:27 PM
rookn00b

I just read your original thread.

Seems as if the laws/procedures in your area are quite a bit different from what I'm used to.

Collecting all the evidence/data and presenting it in court (guilty plea) seems like your best option.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:00 PM

I just read your original thread.

Seems as if the laws/procedures in your area are quite a bit different from what I'm used to.

Collecting all the evidence/data and presenting it in court (guilty plea) seems like your best option.
Bump for more answers. I posted this on a law forum, and all I got was the typical "you should have paid the parking ticket instead of having better/more important things on your mind and forgetting about it, (insert random condescending drivel that is clearly ignoring the important facts)" response. Thank God some "advice" is free. Then again I shouldn't expect anything more from free advice from an attorney I suppose. I'd be better off dressing up as a 90 year old woman taking an Oldsmobile into Chuck's Garage and expecting an honest diagnosis.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This.

The more times you go to court = additional court costs. Even if you win, they will still f*ck you over in fee's.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Eibach95Civic View Post
This.

The more times you go to court = additional court costs. Even if you win, they will still f*ck you over in fee's.
I have to pay court fees? I thought I pretty much just show up, since I'm legally able to defend myself? That's gay. So, pretty much I either pay the fine, or pay money to not pay the fine. Sooo basically the real reason this ***** has probably been instructed to do this on a regular basis, is because the town is going to get money from me no matter how many reasons I should have not been cited in the first place? Why don't they just start citing people for driving 1 over the speed limit, and let them come to court to defend themselves?
Old 07-02-2009, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't fight it. It's not worth the hassle.

Wish I could give you examples from where I work but I can't.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:42 PM

Bump. Do you think the payment date on my bank statement is good enough to either plead not guilty, or plead guilty and have them totally wipe this off my MVR? I don't care about any expense, I simply don't want this hanging around on my MVR, which would put me on probation, as one more moving violation would result in me losing my job.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You should just be able to go in there and show proof that you paid it before you got ticketed and it should be dismissed. Atleast that is what happened to me on a no insurance ticket.

And yes it's all about the money. Protect and Serve my ***.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just pay it, they will still **** you in the end and say you shoul dhave paid the ticket sooner.
I had something similar happen to me and provided all the proof and copy of processed check that it was paid and I still had to pay.

Speaking of which, my girl parked at my house the other night and didn't crimp her wheels and the ticket for that was 47 fvcking dollars!!!!! I can't believe how bad they fvck us over now on fines.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A 'no contest' plea would probably fair better than a guilty plea.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by saywhat View Post
A 'no contest' plea would probably fair better than a guilty plea.
Que? I thought a guilty plea was considered no contest, since you're basically avoiding a court trial?
Old 07-20-2009, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Were you pulled over for the registration decal being expired? If not what were you initially pulled over for? What do you mean you paid the fine? Does that mean you brought your registration up to date?

You will get off the ticket but if the cop was acting in good faith, meaning his system was not up to date then you may get off but there is still the inconvenience of it all. There is usually a disclaimer somewhere that money applied to a fine may not be updated until the following business day. BTW cops dont care about going to court. Usually they get paid an additional 3 hours. The clerk and the judge need to be there anyway so they do not care either.

Need more info.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Phil M View Post
Just pay it, they will still **** you in the end and say you shoul dhave paid the ticket sooner.
I had something similar happen to me and provided all the proof and copy of processed check that it was paid and I still had to pay.

Speaking of which, my girl parked at my house the other night and didn't crimp her wheels and the ticket for that was 47 fvcking dollars!!!!! I can't believe how bad they fvck us over now on fines.
What?
Old 07-20-2009, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

"the authority mails, faxes or delivers a notice of satisfaction of unpaid citation to the department indicating that all citations, judgments or fees have been paid."

It says your registration is suspended until they mail you confirmation that it isn't. That means you paying means nothing if you haven't received notice that they got it. Feel free to fight it but you WILL loose.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by AlphaKennyWun View Post
Were you pulled over for the registration decal being expired? If not what were you initially pulled over for? What do you mean you paid the fine? Does that mean you brought your registration up to date?
No, I was pulled over for being a young male driving a Honda. He pulled behind me at a stop light, and literally one block later I was pulled over. He stated that my suspended registration was the reason he pulled me over, meaning the only plausible reason I was pulled over was that he simply ran my license plate number.

I talked to somebody at the PD today, and they told me that normally the cop would write a "W" up in the right corner, which means I would have the 10 days to have the car registered, and the ticket dropped entirely upon showing proof to the PD within those 10 days. Despite asking the officer about this after showing him my bank account transaction, since this happened to me when I was 18 and had just bought a car on a Saturday with no chance to register it until Monday(again I was pulled over after being guilty of being a young male driving an Acura), he told me "that is only for non-registration citations, and you will have to just bring the proof to court." Wow, so either the middle-aged guy at the PD didn't know what he was talking about, or the young ***** who pulled me over should have given me the ten days, ESPECIALLY since I asked him about that contingency. I would like to put my money on the older guy being right, but who knows, maybe he was mistaken and that really is only for non-registration cases, and not suspended registration?
Old 07-20-2009, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by DBAl View Post
"the authority mails, faxes or delivers a notice of satisfaction of unpaid citation to the department indicating that all citations, judgments or fees have been paid."

It says your registration is suspended until they mail you confirmation that it isn't. That means you paying means nothing if you haven't received notice that they got it. Feel free to fight it but you WILL loose.
I have yet to receive any letters period from the DMV, citation processing center, or either police department. Nothing at all regarding this situation, except for the initial suspension/payment notice from last month...
Old 07-20-2009, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, according to what you said in the original thread, as soon as you do you can drive again. Until then, your registration is suspended.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:52 PM

Well, according to what you said in the original thread, as soon as you do you can drive again. Until then, your registration is suspended.
It says "to the department" meaning the department acknowledges the fine is paid. I don't think it meant that I would literally wait for the notice to come in the mail. In fact it clearly states that after the fine is paid, it will be taken care of, and "do NOT contact the DMV to inquire about your registration status."
Old 07-20-2009, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Ben's View Post
Bump. Do you think the payment date on my bank statement is good enough to either plead not guilty, or plead guilty and have them totally wipe this off my MVR? I don't care about any expense, I simply don't want this hanging around on my MVR, which would put me on probation, as one more moving violation would result in me losing my job.
expired registration isnt a moving volation.

however, i would plead not guilty. if you plead guilty, then you are guilty. no proof of anything required.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by [email protected]#! View Post
expired registration isnt a moving volation.

however, i would plead not guilty. if you plead guilty, then you are guilty. no proof of anything required.
Pleading guilty in a case you have no chance of winning > loosing and having to pay more court fees and spend more of your time.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:56 PM

Pleading guilty in a case you have no chance of winning > loosing and having to pay more court fees and spend more of your time.
What are you talking about, the bank statement shows the payment went through on the 19th, I received the citation at 7 pm on the 22nd?
Old 07-20-2009, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hard to say since I do not live in your state but thinking logically it sounds like your state has a suspended registration status system.

Go or call the court and find out what is holding you from getting a normal registration. Then depending on if or when you paid it, get this ticket removed.

Finding out if there was flagrant mistake by the cop of sending you to court, taking up your time etc, will have to be handled by an attorney experienced in that field or you if you have the know how.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.