GDD/ISK/Chat/Random Check In -- 2017 - Page 11 - Honda-Tech


GDD/ISK/Chat/Random Check In -- 2017

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-01-2017, 03:27 PM   #251
FAILWGN
 
Micha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Who knows these days?
Posts: 9,292
Default Re: GDD/ISK/Chat/Random Check In -- 2017

Ones on the left in our picture are not true "aircraft carriers"

They are amphibious ships used for Marine aircraft.
Micha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 03:29 PM   #252
footwork mastery
 
.Grimace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bigger, Faster, Smarter, Stronger
Posts: 5,421
Default Re: GDD/ISK/Chat/Random Check In -- 2017

So all those countries that have ones that are significantly smaller... do they just hold less planes or does runway length play a big roll as to what can actually land there? Example, can the larger american, russian and chinese carriers have some bigger bomber type stuff land vs just fighters?
.Grimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 03:32 PM   #253
Steve at Heart
 
Bently_Coop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,831
Default Re: GDD/ISK/Chat/Random Check In -- 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micha View Post
Work on radars, missile systems, display systems and whatever a ship needs for self defense.

Currently an instructor for all the very basics of these systems though. I like it and have enjoyed my 15 and a half years so far.
Staying past twenty? With Trump in office I am curious to see where everything will be headed and if it's worth it to go beyond twenty. Before Obama I was in for beyond twenty, maybe even thirty, now I'm not sure.
Bently_Coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 03:35 PM   #254
George Michael Fanboy
 
signalpuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Yoga class, Mena Arkansas
Posts: 1,045
Default Re: GDD/ISK/Chat/Random Check In -- 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micha View Post
Ones on the left in our picture are not true "aircraft carriers"

They are amphibious ships used for Marine aircraft.
Ones on the right for taking out infrastructure, ones on the left for procurement of whatever is left
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Grimace View Post
So all those countries that have ones that are significantly smaller... do they just hold less planes or does runway length play a big roll as to what can actually land there? Example, can the larger american, russian and chinese carriers have some bigger bomber type stuff land vs just fighters?
Length plays a role, yes. C130/C17 use the same length on ground, but the C17 needs more compacted strip. C130 can land on gravel.
signalpuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 03:39 PM   #255
FAILWGN
 
Micha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Who knows these days?
Posts: 9,292
Default Re: GDD/ISK/Chat/Random Check In -- 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bently_Coop View Post
Staying past twenty? With Trump in office I am curious to see where everything will be headed and if it's worth it to go beyond twenty. Before Obama I was in for beyond twenty, maybe even thirty, now I'm not sure.
**** man I don't even know. My current HYT is 24 years now. Lets see where I am stationed in a few years(when I get back to a ship) and see what happens. I have 3 places I want to go. Yokosuka Japan, Everette Washington or Mayport Florida. All places I haven't been stationed yet.
Micha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 03:44 PM   #256
footwork mastery
 
.Grimace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bigger, Faster, Smarter, Stronger
Posts: 5,421
Default Re: GDD/ISK/Chat/Random Check In -- 2017

How easy is it to say I'd like one of those three and actually get it? Or do you request spots and they're like "pow, africa f u"
.Grimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 03:48 PM   #257
Steve at Heart
 
Bently_Coop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,831
Default Re: GDD/ISK/Chat/Random Check In -- 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micha View Post
**** man I don't even know. My current HYT is 24 years now. Lets see where I am stationed in a few years(when I get back to a ship) and see what happens. I have 3 places I want to go. Yokosuka Japan, Everette Washington or Mayport Florida. All places I haven't been stationed yet.
I think my HYT is 22, working towards E6 now though. Come to Everett and we can hang out.
Bently_Coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 03:50 PM   #258
FAILWGN
 
Micha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Who knows these days?
Posts: 9,292
Default Re: GDD/ISK/Chat/Random Check In -- 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Grimace View Post
How easy is it to say I'd like one of those three and actually get it? Or do you request spots and they're like "pow, africa f u"
Depends on how many ships there are with the systems I have "certifications" for. And between those 3 places there are 5 ships. I would prefer those places. But I will go back to San Diego before I try and get Norfolk.
Micha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 03:50 PM   #259
FAILWGN
 
Micha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Who knows these days?
Posts: 9,292
Default Re: GDD/ISK/Chat/Random Check In -- 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bently_Coop View Post
I think my HYT is 22, working towards E6 now though. Come to Everett and we can hang out.
My little brothers ship is stationed in Seattle. Kinda jelly.
Micha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 03:52 PM   #260
George Michael Fanboy
 
signalpuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Yoga class, Mena Arkansas
Posts: 1,045
Default Re: GDD/ISK/Chat/Random Check In -- 2017

Dunno how it works for the Navy, but for the Army you use to be able to request and/or deny one duty station during your career. Like everything else though, it depends on your job/rank and whether positions/slots are open.

I had orders to Sigonella canceled on me due to current unit MTOE reqs at the time. 6-months later when my re-enlistment window opened I was offered any duty station I wanted. Timing is a big part of the equation.
signalpuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 03:52 PM   #261
footwork mastery
 
.Grimace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bigger, Faster, Smarter, Stronger
Posts: 5,421
Default Re: GDD/ISK/Chat/Random Check In -- 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by signalpuke View Post
Dunno how it works for the Navy, but for the Army you use to be able to request and/or deny one duty station during your career. Like everything else though, it depends on your job/rank and whether positions/slots are open.

I had orders to Sigonella canceled on me due to current unit MTOE reqs at the time. 6-months later when my re-enlistment window opened I was offered any duty station I wanted. Timing is a big part of the equation.
It'd of been so nice to get to travel to places like Italy and get paid for it. Obviously some work too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micha View Post
Depends on how many ships there are with the systems I have "certifications" for. And between those 3 places there are 5 ships. I would prefer those places. But I will go back to San Diego before I try and get Norfolk.
What made you leave San Diego for wherever you are now? I forgot but I see those snow photos
.Grimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 03:56 PM   #262
George Michael Fanboy
 
signalpuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Yoga class, Mena Arkansas
Posts: 1,045
Default Re: GDD/ISK/Chat/Random Check In -- 2017

He's probably up near the great lakes.

Working for the government directly sucks because you don't get a choice of where you live.

Better to make the gov your customer, than your employer.
signalpuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 03:56 PM   #263
FAILWGN
 
Micha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Who knows these days?
Posts: 9,292
Default Re: GDD/ISK/Chat/Random Check In -- 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Grimace View Post
What made you leave San Diego for wherever you are now? I forgot but I see those snow photos
I have this problem where I get antsy after 4 years and have to move. San Diego was cool, I enjoyed my 4 years there but couldn't take it anymore. Its expensive, traffic sucks, I hate CHP with a passion, the local 1/4 mile drag strip was never open.

I am an hour north of Chicago now. Where I came looks good on our evaluations.
Micha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 03:57 PM   #264
FAILWGN
 
Micha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Who knows these days?
Posts: 9,292
Default Re: GDD/ISK/Chat/Random Check In -- 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by signalpuke View Post
Dunno how it works for the Navy, but for the Army you use to be able to request and/or deny one duty station during your career. Like everything else though, it depends on your job/rank and whether positions/slots are open.

I had orders to Sigonella canceled on me due to current unit MTOE reqs at the time. 6-months later when my re-enlistment window opened I was offered any duty station I wanted. Timing is a big part of the equation.
We are allowed to choose where we go based upon open billets. Just the higher you go in rank(E7 now) the less billets there are available.
Micha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 03:57 PM   #265
footwork mastery
 
.Grimace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bigger, Faster, Smarter, Stronger
Posts: 5,421
Default Re: GDD/ISK/Chat/Random Check In -- 2017

Good as in thanks for going to the spot no one ever wants to go to?
.Grimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 03:59 PM   #266
George Michael Fanboy
 
signalpuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Yoga class, Mena Arkansas
Posts: 1,045
Default Re: GDD/ISK/Chat/Random Check In -- 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micha View Post
We are allowed to choose where we go based upon open billets. Just the higher you go in rank(E7 now) the less billets there are available.
Yeah, figured that it was similar to the other branches. At least the Navy/AF guys tend to stay in their tech fields as they progress in rank. The other services you get turned into a paper-pusher for the most part past E6, unless you go Warrant.
signalpuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:00 PM   #267
FAILWGN
 
Micha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Who knows these days?
Posts: 9,292
Default Re: GDD/ISK/Chat/Random Check In -- 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Grimace View Post
Good as in thanks for going to the spot no one ever wants to go to?
Pretty much. In a short term, its called sailorization.

That is the more influential position you are in from turning someone from a Civilian into a sailor, the higher on the scale.

So recruiters are high on the list, then next is the bootcamp recruit division commanders(RDC's).
After that is where I am, Basic school called an "A" school.

Then there is everyone else.

So the higher on the sailorization chart(closer to civilian) the better you are looked at on boards.
Micha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:01 PM   #268
FAILWGN
 
Micha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Who knows these days?
Posts: 9,292
Default Re: GDD/ISK/Chat/Random Check In -- 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by signalpuke View Post
Yeah, figured that it was similar to the other branches. At least the Navy/AF guys tend to stay in their tech fields as they progress in rank. The other services you get turned into a paper-pusher for the most part past E6, unless you go Warrant.
I am putting a warrant package in next year I think. In the Navy, you have to make Chief first to go warrant officer.
Micha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:10 PM   #269
Honda-Tech Member
 
trannyclaus.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 313
Default Re: GDD/ISK/Chat/Random Check In -- 2017

i need to drink so much more water. my body hates me right now
trannyclaus. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:11 PM   #270
George Michael Fanboy
 
signalpuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Yoga class, Mena Arkansas
Posts: 1,045
Default Re: GDD/ISK/Chat/Random Check In -- 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micha View Post
I am putting a warrant package in next year I think. In the Navy, you have to make Chief first to go warrant officer.
Dang, that sucks. For Army Warrant positions you need recommendations and a packet, but it isn't restricted by rank.

They offered it to everyone in my class while we were going through training (E1-E4) but it was for Helicopter only. No one took it, I think we were all smart enough to realize that it was probably not a good idea at the time lol. Needs of the Army and all that, so they were going to waive the recommendation (GT score sufficed) and packet.
signalpuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:13 PM   #271
FAILWGN
 
Micha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Who knows these days?
Posts: 9,292
Default Re: GDD/ISK/Chat/Random Check In -- 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by signalpuke View Post
Dang, that sucks. For Army Warrant positions you need recommendations and a packet, but it isn't restricted by rank.

They offered it to everyone in my class while we were going through training (E1-E4) but it was for Helicopter only. No one took it, I think we were all smart enough to realize that it was probably not a good idea at the time lol. Needs of the Army and all that, so they were going to waive the recommendation (GT score sufficed) and packet.
Chief Warrant Officers are the subject matter experts in their fields. One of the reasons you have to be a Chief first.
Micha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:16 PM   #272
George Michael Fanboy
 
signalpuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Yoga class, Mena Arkansas
Posts: 1,045
Default Re: GDD/ISK/Chat/Random Check In -- 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micha View Post
Chief Warrant Officers are the subject matter experts in their fields. One of the reasons you have to be a Chief first.
Army doesn't consider Warrant Officers a Chief until CW3 iirc.

Good reason for it too, because a lot of the CW1 and CW2 I interface with are worse than the .gov LARs that we train. -_-
signalpuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:21 PM   #273
FAILWGN
 
Micha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Who knows these days?
Posts: 9,292
Default Re: GDD/ISK/Chat/Random Check In -- 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by signalpuke View Post
Army doesn't consider Warrant Officers a Chief until CW3 iirc.

Good reason for it too, because a lot of the CW1 and CW2 I interface with are worse than the .gov LARs that we train. -_-
Might be another reason the Navy doesn't have CWO1's. They just don't exist. If you get commissioned, its right from Chief to CWO2.
Micha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:23 PM   #274
George Michael Fanboy
 
signalpuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Yoga class, Mena Arkansas
Posts: 1,045
Default Re: GDD/ISK/Chat/Random Check In -- 2017

Not gonna lie, the ex-Navy peeps I have worked with over the years were all very competent from a technical level vs. the same rank of the other branches.

One dude explained how he leaned how to rebuild/troubleshoot teletype systems on the boat. That would take a platoon of CW1s in the Army.
signalpuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:25 PM   #275
FAILWGN
 
Micha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Who knows these days?
Posts: 9,292
Default Re: GDD/ISK/Chat/Random Check In -- 2017

Every service has its special butterflies.
Micha is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stockton Chat Thread Phunky Phong Northern California 1809 01-28-2017 08:14 AM
AIM chat now! opiumdaze General Discussion and Debate 22 12-21-2006 10:10 PM
Honda Tech chat FrreeeBird General Discussion and Debate 11 06-08-2003 04:17 PM
HT aol chat .Noah Fecks General Discussion and Debate 11 12-28-2002 07:45 PM
5 Topics for the Live Chat JDMchris General Discussion and Debate 3 07-10-2002 10:09 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:05 AM.