Fastest you’ve driven on a public road - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Community Forums > General Discussion and Debate
Reload this Page >

Fastest you’ve driven on a public road

General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.

Fastest you’ve driven on a public road

Old 10-18-2018, 08:26 PM
footwork mastery

Default Fastest you’ve driven on a public road

Seeing Ross’s crazy tickets/ warnings got me wondering. What’s the fastest you’ve gone on a public road or highway?

Got my old c5 up to 155 on the local freeway and man was that dumb
Old 10-18-2018, 08:36 PM
Oracle of GDD

Default Re: Fastest you’ve driven on a public road

135ish indicated in my ITR on I-95 in Rhode Island. Long time ago.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:40 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

130 in my GS300 on the way to Vegas, it still wasn’t fast enough

Old 10-18-2018, 08:41 PM
KILLAB17VTEC

pegged the needle on a friends comaro, right before he sold it.
So like 125 I think
I don't know how it worksd
Old 10-18-2018, 08:41 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Probably not the only thing that got pegged in that camero by acmoc
Old 10-18-2018, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

160 in my Integra. Stupid
Old 10-18-2018, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

150 indicated in GTO

next day with car on lift, noticed the bubble in the front tire's sidewall and realized how lucky I was.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:48 PM
Oracle of GDD

Originally Posted by Ross View Post
One stop resulted in a ticket for not following a highway sign. Other than that I got let go for all of them, including the last one where 2 county police ordered me out of the car and I sat on the curb with my hands/legs crossed for 20 mins while they searched it.

I've been very lucky. Here are my highlights.

110 in a 30 (circa 2001, ITR, Whitehurst Freeway in DC): let go after pissing in front of the officer

115 in a 55 (2002, ITR, NJTPK): let go after explaining that I was rushing to the rest area and had to pee badly

108 in a 55mph in (Si, 2010 Baltimore): knocked down to a 70 in a 55, no court

71 in a 55 (friend's M3, NoVA circa 2006): speed wasn't outrageous but the Trooper was trolling me with gay innuendo ("Here, put this in your mouth for me and blow." "Do you and your friend share...often?")

89 in a 55 (Si, NoVA on NYE '17): let go because there was another car doing 97 and trying to race me

70 in a 25 (Golf R, this past winter, NoVA): let go because the cop was a Dubber and called his buddy to check the car out

Those are the really insane ones. I have been nailed to the wall for speeding but it's always like the 40s in a 25 that get me.

The past 30 days have been tame by comparison but I did have one officer tell me "you crushed it, bro" when I ran a red light. He said he thought I was doing about 90 but he couldn't do much because his radar wasn't on.

Blame George, he taught me how to show respect when I get stopped, and it's worked a little too well
Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
How the hell did you get pulled over for doing 100+ and get let go twice? That’s amazing.
It's weird but like I said, it's the low-speed stuff that gets me.

Here's a possible explanation...

I'm very respectful and not belligerent. No weapons or drugs, usually just me in the car and I pretty much just look like one of them. I also don't lie. I think once they see all that, they're relieved and more likely to cut me a break on what would be a catastrophic charge. Just think about what they have to deal with usually, and what kind of people they usually catch going 100+...it kinda makes sense.

You can also imagine that in 20 years of driving, I've probably been pulled over somewhere between 50 and 75 times...4x/yr would be 80 total stops, and I've blown that away just in the last month. So you can imagine I pretty much have my 'pitch' down to a science at this point. I don't get nervous anymore and that helps a lot.

I got pulled over once in the neighboring town, where I'd never been stopped before. They still knew who I was

I am the Duke Brothers
Originally Posted by The GreenD16 View Post
How the **** did you go 110 on the Whitehurst Freeway?
Originally Posted by xtrac1 View Post
100+ mph? Usually guns are drawn and handcuffs are involved.
Lots of practice lol. I used to play "The 4th Gear Game", seeing how far into 4th I could go WOT before I chickened out.

I got on from the Key Bridge. Was coming from a trackday at Summit Point. Took the turn in second and just floored it, kept my foot in it until I was almost at the end. He got me on the exit ramp that goes toward Washington Circle, my dorm was right there. He had got on from Georgetown so he was behind me when I got on the freeway and just took off. Bad luck.
Originally Posted by .Grimace View Post
I got off once for 115 and will never make that mistake again.

Youre ******* crazy @Ross

i like you but you’re crazy on the road
I'm respectful to them when they pull me over.

We can argue all day about how respectful it is to break speed limits, but I respect the officers when they stop me and it works more often than not.

Also, if they ask how fast you think you were going, NEVER give a number. Just say "Sorry, just trying to get home/work/etc and wasn't paying attention. Might have been in a bit of a rush."

Obviously this won't work for 100+mph, you have to have a better reason. "Exploding bladder/colon" is probably the best one.
Let's take the speeding discussions into Grimace's thread and get back to watching him and Todd troll each other.
Another thing is, looking like you know what you're doing is a big deal. If you are weaving and skidding, or smoking, or using your phone...you're fucked.

But a lot of the ofcs who pull me over will say something to the effect of "I can see you know what you're doing, but that's just too fast." Then they go check you out and see the record is clean, and they either think that this is a guy who doesn't speed often, or is good enough to not get ticketed/charged.

And no Skelly, there is usually no one in the cars when this stuff happens. That probably helps too. And so does being white and clean-cut, and not having a CCW.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:50 PM
Head Of Bespoke

Ross how are you getting away with speeding in Virginia since they enacted that reckless driving over 20mph of the speed limit = straight to jail no questions asked rule.

EVERYONE i know in Virginia considers speeding the VA to be not worth the hassle anymore.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:53 PM
footwork mastery

Why does not having a CCW help? Most officers I talk to or know trust someone with a CCW more. Any old jerk off can hide a gun with no CCW.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:54 PM
Oracle of GDD

Rguy My first ticket in VA was a reckless. 92 in a 65, coming up 95/395 from hanging out with George, Corey, Bryan etc. I learned about it then.

Honestly I've been nailed for 20+ over so many times since, I think I've only got charged with reckless twice. It's very up to their discretion and depends on what else they see/find.

When did the "straight to jail" thing start?
Honda-Tech Member

Well, my car was governed to 155 and I hit the governor. That said, I purchased that car, a 2002 540i 6-Speed, via the European Delivery program and spent nearly a month bombing around Europe with my wife. The 155 came on a stretch of the German AutoBahn between Stuttgart and Munich, and surprisingly enough, I was in the middle lane and getting passed by cars much more exotic.
Oracle of GDD

Why does not having a CCW help? Most officers I talk to or know trust someone with a CCW more. Any old jerk off can hide a gun with no CCW.

Because they are WAY more cautious knowing there could be a weapon in the car.

If you're gonna get away with a big speeding violation, you AND him both need to be very relaxed.

Maybe it's not just about CCW per se but guns in general. Anyway this is one reason I've hesitated on getting one.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:57 PM
footwork mastery

Most cops I know will assume there is a weapon in the car. Having a CCW shows you took the extra steps and can pass a background check to get approved to carry one. Some murder fresh out of jail can go on a gun forum and buy one private party as a felon. Cop pulls him over and doesn’t feel safer not seeing a CCW lol. Felon is an extreme example as they’d see the record but anyone can buy a guy private party or steal one in two seconds and cops know this.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I believe anything over 80 or 20 over the posted limit can result in jail time in Va
Old 10-18-2018, 08:59 PM
Oracle of GDD

Most cops I know will assume there is a weapon in the car. Having a CCW shows you took the extra steps and can pass a background check to get approved to carry one. Some murder fresh out of jail can go on a gun forum and buy one private party as a felon. Cop pulls him over and doesn’t feel safer not seeing a CCW lol. Felon is an extreme example as they’d see the record but anyone can buy a guy private party or steal one in two seconds and cops know this.
Maybe you're right. I've obviously never owned a gun so I don't know.

But, I've never been asked about weapons in the car. Only knives when I got frisked a few nights ago lol.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:00 PM
footwork mastery

Have a CCW and always been thanked/ trusted when I told them if I was carrying and where it is. If anything my limited police interaction has gone better once I had a CCW.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:00 PM
Oracle of GDD

Originally Posted by ky13 View Post
I believe anything over 80 or 20 over the posted limit can result in jail time in Va
Well, since VA considers reckless driving a misdemeanor, pretty sure you've always been at risk of jail if you do those things.

Having said that, as stated before there is a very wide latitude granted to the officers.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:01 PM
Oracle of GDD

Have a CCW and always been thanked/ trusted when I told them if I was carrying and where it is. If anything my limited police interaction has gone better once I had a CCW.

Having a police K9 in the car has helped me a few times also.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:04 PM
footwork mastery

You have a retired police k9 dog? I don’t understand the argument anyone can have a police k9 dog? A CCW shows you took steps to legally do something.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, since VA considers reckless driving a misdemeanor, pretty sure you've always been at risk of jail if you do those things.

Having said that, as stated before there is a very wide latitude granted to the officers.
For sure. From what I'm reading, in Va, a reckless driving ticket can result in a $2500 fine and a year in jail; that said, I've been in Va a long time and have never known anyone to have received anything close to the aforementioned repercussions for speeding.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:06 PM
GDD's Dr. Phil?

197, going for 200, but never made it.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:07 PM
footwork mastery

Originally Posted by oneludesol View Post
197, going for 200, but never made it.
dayum what car and how long did that take? Lady is watching some incredibly boring show
Old 10-18-2018, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My RM 465 was geared for 125 on dirt and my Ninja 176, topped them both out. 168 in a car.
Yep, idiot!
Old 10-18-2018, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

To fast to look down. We used to go out every weekend and hit the highways racing each other in high hp cars and bikes. Lots of 700hp-1200hp cars and 1L bikes. I'd say at least 175mph or so in a MKIV Supra. that was almost 10 years ago. I'm not that dumb anymore.

The year After I sold the car IL upped the charges for speeding a lot. Prob similar to VA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.