Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Community Forums > General Discussion and Debate
Reload this Page >

eScooter rentals....wtf happened...how did we get here?

Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

eScooter rentals....wtf happened...how did we get here?

Old 06-12-2019, 07:59 AM
Mr. Koy Noi

Default Re: eScooter rentals....wtf happened...how did we get here?

These work great for me during lunch time. Allows me to be a fatass at more eating locations.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:42 AM
#stillneedsadiaper

Originally Posted by 2LEM1 View Post
You never struck me as the type of person to be hung up on what other people think

Old 06-12-2019, 08:44 AM
Do you even red wheels?

Originally Posted by 816d16 View Post
I get your point, but they need to figure it out. Im all for transportation like this. Problem is, it's usually a day drinking Chad in a soft topped backward baseball hat, drunk, and weaving in and out of the sidewalk to the street, flying through intersections etc.

Woah woah woah woah

Whats wrong with day drinking?!
Old 06-12-2019, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think things will stabilize over the next few years when cities adapt to them and begin awarding contracts to one (or two) companies. Right now it's a bit of a "Wild West" with multiple companies vying for control of the market.

Imagine what people thought when they saw the first car on the street.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:57 AM
GDD Member

Originally Posted by Tim2179 View Post
They are so cheaply made that they pay for themselves after a few days of service. The company doesn't give two ***** what happens to them and never bother to service them. People can sign up to be 'chargers' and the company pays them for each unit they charge.
Been doing it in my spare time for a year now. It's $1200-$1500 a month and I spend 1-2 hours a day doing it. I can fit 22 in a Subaru Forester.

These things are an eyesore and are EVERYWHERE. I'm surprised they haven't been banned yet.
Attached Images   
Old 06-12-2019, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

These are everywhere around here. A lot of kids ride them on footpaths going full speed. Downtown literally has them laying in the street. I even saw one up in a tree...
Old 06-12-2019, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wait til you see the moped ones....

Saw this dude almost get smoked by one while crossing the street in NYC
Old 06-12-2019, 09:29 AM
Do you even red wheels?

South Park did an episode on them a while back that I caught flipping through the channels and was pretty funny.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:33 AM
something gnarly

Originally Posted by JDMdoode View Post
I even saw one up in a tree...
Old 06-12-2019, 09:37 AM
Will you make something up for me please?

Originally Posted by slomofo View Post
Been doing it in my spare time for a year now. It's $1200-$1500 a month and I spend 1-2 hours a day doing it. I can fit 22 in a Subaru Forester.

These things are an eyesore and are EVERYWHERE. I'm surprised they haven't been banned yet.
I watched a video on the logistics of this and it seems like hard work. You can only do this at night and you have to bring it back before 7am or something to specific locations (you can't dump them all in one). So you have to drive around. Plus you're spending money on the chargers (they only give you a few). The guy in the video was spending like 4 hours a day middle of the night doing it.

How do you do it in 1-2 hours? You have to drive to locations and pick up the low power ones. Bring them back home to charge for quite a number of hours. Then drive them back to multiple locations throughout the city.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:44 AM
footwork mastery

We had them in Reno along with bikes. People did so much dumb **** they got taken away. Oh well
Old 06-12-2019, 09:45 AM
Prairie Dog Breeder

that's really cool you do that - nice work!! I was actually wondering how those were charged

*the more you know*
Old 06-12-2019, 09:53 AM
something gnarly

the most important thing about these is to remember to be alert at all times, and stay aware of your surroundings
Old 06-12-2019, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

Would like to know too.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:55 AM
Prairie Dog Breeder

Originally Posted by 5SpdH22 View Post
the most important thing about these is to remember to be alert at all times, and stay aware of your surroundings
yes, and also be sure look both ways before crossing the road and that stopping distances are much greater when the surface is wet. But above all else, have fun and get a little exercise with friends :3
Old 06-12-2019, 10:13 AM
Swaggylicious

hah, i actually applied to be a charger but i guess didnt apply soon enough and theres too many right now.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ScareyH22A View Post
I know in CA, if you get caught riding while drunk, you’ll get a DUI.
in Colorado you can get a DUI being drunk on a horse.....
Old 06-12-2019, 10:45 AM
Do you even red wheels?

Can get a DUI on a bicycle as well.

Basically not allowed to have fun in public
Old 06-12-2019, 11:37 AM
GDD Member

Originally Posted by shamoo View Post
I watched a video on the logistics of this and it seems like hard work. You can only do this at night and you have to bring it back before 7am or something to specific locations (you can't dump them all in one). So you have to drive around. Plus you're spending money on the chargers (they only give you a few). The guy in the video was spending like 4 hours a day middle of the night doing it.

How do you do it in 1-2 hours? You have to drive to locations and pick up the low power ones. Bring them back home to charge for quite a number of hours. Then drive them back to multiple locations throughout the city.
In my city, the majority are concentrated in a 5 square mile radius. Drop off points are all over the place.

I charge for two companies; lime and bird.

You can pick up birds 24 hours a day, but you can only drop them off from 4AM - 5PM.

Lime scooters aren't available for pickup until 9:00 PM unless they're broken or completely dead at which time you can pick those up whenever they break or die. Limes picked up from 9PM-1:59AM must be dropped off before 7AM for full payout or 50% payout anytime after. Any scooter picked up after 2AM can be dropped off before 7 AM the following day. With lime, you can drop off any scooter as soon as 1 hour after you picked it up.

So at 9PM, I go pick up a bunch of limes that have high battery levels and charge them in my car with an inverter as I drive around looking for birds. I then drive home and plug the birds in, but around this same time, the limes will have full batteries, so I go drop them off at one of the 20+ drop offs within 1/4 mile of my house. I leave for work at 5 AM and sometimes I drop off the birds or sometimes I drop off after work. There are no bird drop offs near my house, but they're 1 mile from my job.

Edit: With Lime, if you charge 10+ scooters a day for 3 consecutive days, they'll email you a coupon code to buy 4 chargers for $10. I got these coupon codes every week for the first two months. One charger pays for itself from charging one scooter. My power bill went up by less than $20 a month. I don't plug all scooters in my house though; I'd say 1/4 are charged by my car's alternator and another 1/4 get charged for free at an EV charging station that has an AC outlet.

Second edit: I had to pay like $900 in income taxes last year for lime and $500 for bird. Both companies send out 1099s.

Last edited by slomofo; 06-12-2019 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

I know a guy that got a DUI on a boat. He was fishing in the Gulf and accidentally tapped another boat while docking. Eventually realized he couldn’t fit so he went around looking for another spot. Went fishing again the next day and came back to the same spot and apparently someone reported him. He was arrested and got a BUI. LOL.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:57 AM
Nu Sigma Alpha

Originally Posted by $amGD3 View Post
imagery of f*ggoty scooters

Old 06-12-2019, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Love these things. They are great when I take bart out to SF to go to a Giants game. Easy ride from Bart to ATT with them. And they are fun!
Old 06-12-2019, 12:58 PM
MM Gruppe B

Those godawful things are showing up all over here too now.
People just dump them in random spots along the Blvd. Luckily this little city has a decent amount of open top public trash cans and dumpsters, makes for a convenient 'parking' of abandoned units.
The worst about it, all the stupid uppity cafe's that think they are helping reducing the sidewalk riding by placing tables/chairs/umbrellas in the middle of the sidewalk. Which just blocks normal bipedal movement, Geezers on their Lil Rascals, parents with strollers, and underage kids riding bikes on the sidewalk.

Here in Calif, riding a bike/scooter while intoxicated is a DUI.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:16 PM
that's no moon

Originally Posted by MAD_MIKE View Post
Those godawful things are showing up all over here too now.
People just dump them in random spots along the Blvd. Luckily this little city has a decent amount of open top public trash cans and dumpsters, makes for a convenient 'parking' of abandoned units.
The worst about it, all the stupid uppity cafe's that think they are helping reducing the sidewalk riding by placing tables/chairs/umbrellas in the middle of the sidewalk. Which just blocks normal bipedal movement, Geezers on their Lil Rascals, parents with strollers, and underage kids riding bikes on the sidewalk.

Here in Calif, riding a bike/scooter while intoxicated is a DUI.
So are you saying you throw them away?
Old 06-12-2019, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

These things are like land seadoos. They are all over in Atlanta. About body checked some punk off one that got too close to my niece's stroller.

/ethug

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.