Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

different exhaust smells

Old 05-11-2019, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default different exhaust smells

ive always wondered this and could never understand it too well, maybe someone like xtrac1 will be able to chime in. why do different eras of cars have different smelling exhausts? i understand the catalytic converter changeover in the 1970s, but cars from the 90s through mid 2000s have this very strong, distinct smell that is very off-putting. Cars from more recent years have almost no exhaust smell at all. and cars from the 80s have more of an "oily" smell but this could also be from aged gaskets. They had cats, o2 sensors, ECMs, etc etc in the 90s and yet the exhaust smells much much more powerful than todays cars even though the byproducts of combustion are supposedly the same? is there anyone educated on this topic?
Old 05-11-2019, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: different exhaust smells

Must be high or somethin...
Old 05-11-2019, 02:14 PM
Prairie Dog Breeder

some people say that huffing spraypaint in the garage before work is a good solution to those who cannot tolerate gluten or are perhaps lactose intolerant.
Old 05-11-2019, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why does he even care why dif cars have dif smells? Dude rides a ****** bike? Why not ask why there are so many dif types of bikes?
Old 05-11-2019, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018 View Post
Why does he even care why dif cars have dif smells? Dude rides a ****** bike? Why not ask why there are so many dif types of bikes?
my question is more a chemistry question. combustion of air and gasoline produces the same byproducts, so why do different cars produce different smelling exhausts? purely a science question here, not trying to be a troll
Old 05-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Nu Sigma Alpha

Old 05-11-2019, 03:58 PM
CD8
Honda-Tech Member

Different fuel ratios and efficiency of the engines have changed? Maybe it makes sense if he rides bike he has lots of first hand experience on breathing exhaust.
Old 05-11-2019, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CD8 View Post
Different fuel ratios and efficiency of the engines have changed? Maybe it makes sense if he rides bike he has lots of first hand experience on breathing exhaust.
more or less just living in a busy *** metro area i get a lot of time in traffic. i was just wondering if there was a specific combustion byproduct that I am smelling in these 90's-00s cars. Like grand ams, dodge caravans, ford focuses, toyota camrys, etc etc from that era all have this very STRONG exhaust smell, whereas the modern cars seem to have literally no smell whatsoever.
Old 05-11-2019, 04:40 PM
Prairie Dog Breeder

The only difference in vehicle smells derives from how efficient the engine runs - cars from the 60's (for the most part) smell more of oil and also due to no real cat.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:25 PM
CD8
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by crazyhorse2011 View Post
more or less just living in a busy *** metro area i get a lot of time in traffic. i was just wondering if there was a specific combustion byproduct that I am smelling in these 90's-00s cars. Like grand ams, dodge caravans, ford focuses, toyota camrys, etc etc from that era all have this very STRONG exhaust smell, whereas the modern cars seem to have literally no smell whatsoever.
It makes sense to me that cars would smell different based on many different factors. State of tune, wear and tear (tare?), gas quality, smog equipment, etc... Even the b18c in my civic smells stronger than the j35 in my pilot... my farts smell different depending on what i eat lol
Old 05-12-2019, 05:13 AM
Drunk Wagon Pilot

New cars don’t have tons of miles or worn out parts that cause different smells

Why do you never see any smoke coming from the exhaust of newer cars?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.