Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Death Valley motorcycle ride (Pics)

Old 01-30-2017, 09:30 AM
Will you make something up for me please?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death Valley motorcycle ride (Pics)

I haven't posted pictures in a while so here you go. My friends and I went on a nearly 1000 mile motorcycle ride from the Fullerton, CA area to Death Valley, to almost Las Vegas, to Joshua Tree, to Palm Springs, and then back home.

All pics were taken with an iPhone, so nothing too amazing. I encourage all motorcycle riders to try out a long ride someday. Even if you don't have a touring/adventure bike, you can easily bungee a duffel bag and you're set. Hotels can be cheap and camping can be even cheaper. Our campsite cost us $22.

Me - 2016 BMW R1200GS Adventure (1200cc)
Scott - 2009 Triumph Street Triple 675R (675cc)
Steve - 2014 Yamaha Supertenere (1200cc)

Since these pics uploaded with some crazy filenames, I'm trying to go in somewhat chronological order.

Scott in the Triumph has a tune/exhaust with an "interesting" fuel map. Not sure if there's something wrong with it, but coupled with his tiny gas tank, we had to stop every 100 miles. He enjoys sport bikes, but making them into touring machines when needed. You can see the large aftermarket windshield here and the Hepco & Becker panniers later in other photos. I had a very old school Coleman sleeping bag that probably cost $20 and I quickly learned that it was not suited for camping in 40 degree weather. I didn't buy the side panniers for my bike since they were too expensive and if I can get by with a bungeed duffel bag, no way I'm spending $1500 on them.

A few more gas stops later, we finally made it to the Furnace Creek Campground.

Obviously we had to set up the bikes in front of the tent like the real adventure riders we are.

Why is the Yamaha getting shown off the most?

Obviously had to set the iPhone on the ground with a timer.

Headed to the local general store to get some firewood. Loaded it up on the Triumph.

Lots of other riders too. Bike in foreground is an older KTM Superadventure R. Great bike.

Made our way down Highway 190 to the "Devil's Golfcourse".

The Triump's suspension travel was obviously not suited for offroad travel so Scott was often left behind. I had enough time to get in front and get a photo of him doing a "standup" haha.

Challenge accepted? The two riders way in front are Scott and Steve. Scott made it about there and turned around. Steve made it all the way to the parking lot since he has more off roading experience. I made it almost there until my traction control started kicking in and making things worse. I stopped to turn it off, but ended up stopping on a hill in the middle of a bumpy section. That spelled the end for me. Did a 19 point turn and turned around.

Obviously had to pose in front of the sign.

Our next stop was the Badwater Basin. So Death Valley is the lowest point of the Western Hemisphere at about 230 feet below sea level. I thought it was a lot lower being the "lowest point", but I guess not. Salton Sea, which is also in California is pretty close at ~220 feet. Did you know that "sea level" actually means the average current sea level?

If you squint, you can see a little white sign up there that says "SEA LEVEL". That is where it is relative to us.

So salty.

It started to get dark so we turned in for the night. I was certainly not prepared for camping in 30 degree weather with my $20 Coleman sleeping bag from 1993. My friends were pretty decked out in their fancy camping gear. I might have to invest in some new gear too.

The next day we headed to the Mesquite Dunes which we passed on the way in.

Not a very impressive picture, but they were pretty cool in person. Random dunes in the middle of nowhere. That high dune in the center is about 1.5 miles out. There were a lot of people walking there, but we didn't want to hike there with all of our gear on.

More gas stops.

Another one, this time with other riders.

Famous Route 66...with skid marks.

We found another route from the Las Vegas area back home. There's a little road that goes through millions of joshua trees called Cima Road. It connects with Highway 15. Unfortunately we didn't stop for pics here since Scott and his Triumph had to carefully try to make it to the next gas stop which was ~100 miles away. My tank gets me ~330 miles and the Yamaha gets like 200something so we were safe.

Stopped at the Alien beef jerky place that is apparently famous. I didn't feel like spending $12 for a small pack of jerky.

We didn't go into the park since we didn't have time, but just wanted to take a pic of the sign.

Modeling.

The squad.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:32 AM
Hookers and blow

Default Re: Death Valley motorcycle ride (Pics)

good stuff shamoo

u should do big sur next.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:50 AM
GDD Member

I notice you have extra space on the sides. Why not put a gas can there?
Old 01-30-2017, 10:07 AM
HT Order of Merit

Bad ***.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:18 AM
talks to himself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many days was the trip? Two nights of camping?
Old 01-30-2017, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by dipsy View Post
good stuff shamoo

u should do big sur next.
Yes, I want to go there too! I might do a long PCH ride soon.

Originally Posted by slomofo View Post
I notice you have extra space on the sides. Why not put a gas can there?
On my bike? Yes I have room, but my tank is just about 8 gallons and I can go like 350 miles. No need for extra storage. My friend in the Triumph who can only go 100 miles has an MSR bottle to hold some extra gas. Only 16OZ though, but that was good enough. He didn't have to use it.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:22 AM
Hookers and blow

lemme know when u get a side car.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:49 AM

I'm actually going to pick this up. Steve (Triumph guy) had it and it looked pretty nice.

Sometimes I feel out of place riding my bike with a leather Dainese jacket. His Alpinestars Andes Drystar is only $289 retail. Might pick it up. Dunno about the pants though since that's another $250. I can probably get by with using my existing leather ones.

The ride to DV was hovering in the low 40s and because my leather jacket was perforated, I had about 3 additional layers underneath along with arm warmers and my heated grips. Still not enough. My jacket was not made to tour long distances in really...on an adventure bike.

Old 01-31-2017, 02:49 AM
W95 gives me a hard-on

Nice ride!
Old 01-31-2017, 10:20 AM
Photography Pundit

Good stuff Shamoo... looks pretty rad.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:33 AM
Mr. Koy Noi

So glad I didn't go. Just 3 dudes going out to see dirt, awesome
Old 01-31-2017, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Lasty K View Post
So glad I didn't go. Just 3 dudes going out to see dirt, awesome
Must be fun commuting with your bike and nothing else.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:30 PM
that's no moon

Originally Posted by shamoo View Post
I'm actually going to pick this up. Steve (Triumph guy) had it and it looked pretty nice.

Sometimes I feel out of place riding my bike with a leather Dainese jacket. His Alpinestars Andes Drystar is only $289 retail. Might pick it up. Dunno about the pants though since that's another $250. I can probably get by with using my existing leather ones.

The ride to DV was hovering in the low 40s and because my leather jacket was perforated, I had about 3 additional layers underneath along with arm warmers and my heated grips. Still not enough. My jacket was not made to tour long distances in really...on an adventure bike.

Strange seeing a GS without Klim gear

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.