Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Country music for people who hate country music

Old 11-23-2005, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Country music for people who hate country music

Recently, i've been listening to a lot of johnny cash and willie nelson, and i was thinking about what other country music i would like... normally i just listen to rock, and hate country music, but there are a few artists i like (cash, nelson, patsy cline...)

i was just wondering if some of you country music-listeners could recommend for some other good country music that i might enjoy. thanks!!

Modified by i'm so lude at 3:17 PM 11/23/2005
Old 11-23-2005, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Country music for people who hate country music (i'm so lude)

Johnny, Willie, Waylon, David Allen Coe, Billy Joe Shaver, The Derailers, Junior Brown, BR549 - all in my collection. You might also check out a band from Memphis called Lucero. Ever listen to Ryan Adams old band Whiskeytown? Uncle Tupelo was good too.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:35 AM
Motorhead

Default Re: Country music for people who hate country music (i'm so lude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iím so lude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Recently, i've been listening to a lot of johnny cash and ***** nelson, and i was thinking about what other country music i would like... normally i just listen to rock, and hate country music, but there are a few artists i like (cash, nelson, patsy cline...)

i was just wondering if some of you country music-listeners could recommend for some other good country music that i might like. thanks!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Johnny Cash isn't really "country". He's in a class by himself. He's more a mix of rock n' roll, gospel, old school country and rhythm & blues. As far as current country, sorry I don't know. I dig Shania Twain & Faith Hill, but there HOT & that helps me cope with the goofy lyrics. Also, if your a Cash fan, go see "Walk the Line". Very good.

Old 11-23-2005, 10:35 AM

Default Re: Country music for people who hate country music (Chairman Kaga)

my roommate is crazy about lucero...i can't stand them personally.

the drive by truckers is a real big alt country fan. i bought one of their albums i didn't like it so much but supposedly the dirty south album is awesome.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:36 AM
Dat Dere Cell Tech

UGK
Old 11-23-2005, 10:45 AM
El Chico

Default Re: (d4kl0wn)

As far as bands? Cross Canadian Ragweed by far!

Rascal Flatts isn't bad, Kenny Chesmey.

In my top five of all time arE:
George Straight
Travis Tritt
Gary Allen
Hank Williams Jr. and Sr.
George Jones.

I could give you hours of good country to listen to.

For a modern sound though check out Gary Allen and Cross Canadian Ragweed though.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Knightsport)

Band out of Nashville called Hayseed Dixie. They're an AC/DC tribute band, but the songs are all countrified! They're fun... They have a real band called Texarkana which is actually really good.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:48 AM
El Chico

Randy Rogers is also good stuff,

Jerry Jeff Walker should be on people's lists that contain *****.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Chairman Kaga)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chairman Kaga &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Band out of Nashville called Hayseed Dixie. They're an AC/DC tribute band, but the songs are all countrified! They're fun... They have a real band called Texarkana which is actually really good.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll have to check them out, I love AC/DC. I actually have cd that does an orchestral tribute to AC/DC. It's not bad.

As far as country for non country fans, Cash is definitely a great start. Tim McGraw is pretty good too, it looked like he was branching out a bit when he did "Over and Over" with Nelly. I also love the Charlie Daniels Band. They are definitely country, but most of their songs are a lot like Cash's because they tell a story.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:31 AM
Motorhead

Default Re: (GSRgrrl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GSRgrrl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
it looked like he was branching out a bit when he did "Over and Over" with Nelly. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That was an insult to all of humanity. BIG

Old 11-23-2005, 11:34 AM
El Chico

Default Re: (Motorhead)

Devil went down to Gerogia is the WINNER!!
Old 11-23-2005, 11:35 AM
El Chico

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Motorhead &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That was an insult to all of humanity. BIG </TD></TR></TABLE>

I thought it was okay. Should have had him sing a bit more.

Old 11-23-2005, 11:39 AM
Motorhead

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Knightsport &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I thought it was okay. Should have had him sing a bit more.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 11-23-2005, 11:40 AM
Collector-o-Guns and Drinker

Give bluegrass a shot if you mainly like older country.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:48 AM

Default Re: (Splat)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Splat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Give bluegrass a shot if you mainly like older country.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i love bluegrass. del mccoury, blue highway, tony rice...top notch musicians.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:02 PM
Collector-o-Guns and Drinker

Default Re: (DagYo!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DagYo! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i love bluegrass. del mccoury, blue highway, tony rice...top notch musicians.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep. Some of the most talented musicians in the recording industry are playing bluegrass.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:03 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Knightsport &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Devil went down to Gerogia is the WINNER!!</TD></TR></TABLE>
Honky Tonk &gt; Fiddle
/

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by OP &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Country music for people who hate country music</TD></TR></TABLE>
Better question woudl have been country music for people who hate the crap they play these days that masquarades as country music. The answer is anything before 1982 + Geo Strait & T. Tritt...

Side story: was in TX a few years back for work and had to drive from San Antonio to some ratty little port town on the Gulf. I tuned in this country station and it was like 1985 on there! None of that modern crap, just good old fashioned honky tonk ****. [and somehow my citified **** made it out of there alive ]
Old 11-23-2005, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Motorhead &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That was an insult to all of humanity. BIG </TD></TR></TABLE>

Not when you figure he probably turned a few people on to country who normally would never listen.

I LOVE Devil Went Down to Georgia...I used to play it pretty good on my fiddle.

Credence Clearwater is another great band...I don't think they'd be considered country though.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:05 PM
El Chico

Default Re: (Mark sans)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mark sans &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Honky Tonk &gt; Fiddle
/

Better question woudl have been country music for people who hate the crap they play these days that masquarades as country music. The answer is anything before 1982 + Geo Strait & T. Tritt...

Side story: was in TX a few years back for work and had to drive from San Antonio to some ratty little port town on the Gulf. I tuned in this country station and it was like 1985 on there! None of that modern crap, just good old fashioned honky tonk ****. [and somehow my citified **** made it out of there alive ]</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's called the Ranch. We have it in Dallas.

The Wolf is pretty good about playing all of the classics.

Forgot about Keith Whitley earlier.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:07 PM
Don't believe the rumors

Default Re: (GSRgrrl)

go download Allison Kraus with Union Station.

do it now. this bitch can sing.

I HATE pop/country western bs. But I've been listening to lots of bluegrass lately, there's just something about it I love
Old 11-23-2005, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (crawdad689)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Knightsport &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As far as bands? Cross Canadian Ragweed by far!

In my top five of all time arE:
George Straight
Travis Tritt
Gary Allen
Hank Williams Jr. and Sr.
George Jones.

I could give you hours of good country to listen to.

For a modern sound though check out Gary Allen and Cross Canadian Ragweed though. </TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Knightsport &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Randy Rogers is also good stuff,

Jerry Jeff Walker should be on people's lists that contain *****. </TD></TR></TABLE>

excellent suggestions as well as robert earl keen, reckless kelly, aaron watson, jason boland and the stragglers, cory morrow, pat green, and so many more...man i miss going to fred's country store, gruene, luckenbach, billy bob's or austin to listen to good texas music.

check out http://www.lonestarmusic.com and go to the various artist sections, good samplers.

i hate pop-country...even pat green is going a little too mainstream for me.

the wolf, the ranch and KVET are all i listen to when i get to texas twice a year. stick it on 98.1 or 95.9. i'm hardcore yO!!
Old 11-23-2005, 12:22 PM
El Chico

Default Re: (TEXNTEG)

Yep. I saw Cross Canadian Ragweed at The Ice House in Gruene.

Float the river all day, hop out, go have a Texas party at the Ice House.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:25 PM
Electrician

Don't mess with country. Pretty much all I listen to. Texas rubbed off on me when I lived there.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm definitely looking forward to being down there for new year's with some good buddies. take a little tour of central tejas in the zee-ohh!
Old 11-23-2005, 12:26 PM
El Chico

Default Re: (TEXNTEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TEXNTEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm definitely looking forward to being down there for new year's with some good buddies. take a little tour of central tejas in the zee-ohh!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Zee ohh?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Country music for people who hate country music

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.