College Admissions Scandal - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

College Admissions Scandal

Old 03-13-2019, 04:02 PM
rookn00b

Default College Admissions Scandal

It's no secret that wealth brings advantages when it comes to sending your kids to college. Rich and famous parents can donate large sums of money to schools or lean on their names and connections. Some ritzy colleges explicitly prefer the children and grandchildren of alumni — at Harvard, an investigation found last year, these "legacy" admits were five times more likely to get in than the average Joe.

Yet federal prosecutors say that for 33 wealthy parents, these advantages were not enough. A college consultant named William Singer, of Newport Beach, Calif., pleaded guilty in federal court Tuesday to a cheating scheme that included bribing SAT test proctors and college coaches on behalf of these families.

The indictment names prominent actors and business leaders. It alleges crazy stunts — like having a stand-in take a college entrance exam, photo-doctoring to paste a student's head onto the body of an athlete, bribing college coaches, and paying up to $75,000 for falsified exam results, all in the name of getting their kids admission through what Singer called "a side door," to schools like Yale, The University of Texas and the University of Southern California.To better understand this story, here are a few things to know about the fraught history of college admissions.

Just a fraction of U.S. students attend schools like these.

The majority of the schools targeted in this scheme are highly selective: The University of Texas takes 4 in 10 applicants, and Yale just 7 percent. Yet, the average college accepts two out of three applicants. That means this demolition derby of highly competitive admissions just doesn't apply to most Americans.

Universities are tax-exempt and taxpayer-supported, through federal aid and, in the case of public institutions, state funding. That status is granted because they profess a public mission. Selective institutions justify effectively barring the masses because, they say, they admit students based on merit.

When a high school junior in Spokane, Wash. or Sutherland, Texas, goes to Yale's application web site, she reads this:

"As we carefully and respectfully review every application, two questions guide our admissions team: 'Who is likely to make the most of Yale's resources?' and 'Who will contribute most significantly to the Yale community?' "

The existence of legacy admissions and even athletic recruitment puts a dent in this shiny image. This bribery scandal could tarnish it for good. A detail that some critics found especially galling: In some cases, payments that were effectively bribes to university officials were funneled through charitable foundations to the universities, meaning that the bribers also could claim tax exemptions.

This controversy comes amidst a broader debate over affirmative action.

Last year Harvard University's admissions process — and the very concept of merit at the most selective colleges — was put on trial. Asian-American students alleged discrimination because they are consistently admitted at lower rates than their SAT scores and grades might predict. Harvard denies the allegations.

At stake are the procedures that elite, highly selective colleges, which are generally overstacked with white and rich students, try to use to improve diversity without running afoul of the law.

Despite battles over affirmative action stretching back decades, research has shown that low-income students make up just 3 percent of America's most selective colleges, and racial diversity is lacking too.

These inequities in American education go back all the way to kindergarten. Access to college counselors and advanced courses is inequitable by class and race. According to a recent report from the nonprofit EdBuild, predominantly white school districts as a group receive $23 billion more than districts that serve mostly students of color in the U.S.

Highly selective colleges have dubious advantages.

With all the general cultural brouhaha over getting kids into a "good school," which now extends to charges of federal racketeering and wire fraud, you'd think that fat admissions letter is a golden ticket to a great life. The answer is, yes and no.

Low-income students who do manage to get into top colleges graduate at high rates and do nearly as well financially as their silver-spoon peers.

But the colleges that most excel in promoting social mobility, according to an analysis by economist Raj Chetty, aren't the Ivies — they are excellent, open-access public institutions and community colleges with large numbers of working-class students, like the City University of New York.

All else being equal, highly selective colleges do seem to confer an income premium over non-selective colleges. But, an individual's choice of major, such as engineering, is a far more powerful factor in her eventual earnings than her choice of college.

If you have more specific dreams, the Ivy League holds a near-monopoly over the Supreme Court.

CEOs, on the other hand, come from a broader mix of public and private institutions, with only 14 Ivy Leaguers among the top 100 companies in the U.S., according to aU.S. News & World Report analysis last year.

While many tech billionaires are better known as college dropouts.

For a broader view, a 2014 survey of tens of thousands of graduates by Gallup found that college selectivity correlated not at all with later satisfaction in work or fulfillment in life.

"Those percentages did not vary based on whether the grads went to a fancy name-brand school or a regional state college, one of the top 100 in the U.S. News & World Report rankings or one of the bottom 100."

No word yet on what it means for long-term happiness to find out your parents lied to get you into college in the first place.

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/13/70297...ssions-scandal

The central figure in the college admissions cheating scandal is William Singer, 59, a Newport Beach, Calif., businessman who prosecutors say managed and profited from the cheating scheme.

Mr. Singer, sometimes known as Rick Singer, has been cooperating with federal investigators since September 2018. He pleaded guilty to four charges in federal court in Boston on Tuesday.

[Read more on the Justice Department’s largest ever college admissions prosecution]

A tan, lean-faced man with close-cut gray hair, Mr. Singer sat very still and looked intently at the judge, Rya W. Zobel, as she explained the charges and detailed the rights he was giving up by pleading guilty. He answered, “Yes, ma’am” whenever the judge asked him if he understood.

When the judge asked Mr. Singer to describe his role in the plot, he became expansive, speaking for about 10 minutes about his methods.He spoke of arranging for students to take their SAT or ACT exams at sites in Houston or Los Angeles where he had bribed test administrators. The students thought they were taking the tests legitimately, he said, but his proctor would correct some of their answers afterward to make their scores come out exactly how Mr. Singer wanted.

He bribed college coaches, he said, to falsely certify that students had been recruited for the school’s sports teams. Prosecutors said he also falsified ethnicities and other biographical details in some cases, to take advantage of affirmative action.

Mr. Singer also described how, after he became a cooperating witness and was told he could not talk to anyone about the investigation, he tipped off several families that his conversations were being recorded by the authorities and warned them not to incriminate themselves.

He was released on bail and left the courthouse after the hearing in the company of his lawyers. One of them, Donald H. Heller, said on his way out of the courthouse that Mr. Singer was very remorseful and intended to fully cooperate.

“I’m sure there will be more things coming out,” Mr. Heller said. “I can tell you he’s a very stoic person, but this has been very emotional for him, dealing with this, because his whole life has been working with kids getting into college, and it got out of control.”Here are some key points about Mr. Singer, from court papers, statements by his lawyers, past news coverage and a biographical sketch on a company website.

The for-profit business: Mr. Singer owns the Edge College & Career Network, also known as The Key — a for-profit college counseling and preparation company offering families help in getting students into competitive colleges and universities. He also owns some related businesses.

The nonprofit organization: Mr. Singer established and runs the Key Worldwide Foundation, which purports to be a charity and which prosecutors say was used to disguise the true nature of payments from parents.

The charges: One count each of racketeering conspiracy, money laundering conspiracy, conspiracy to defraud the United States, and obstruction of justice.

His bail: Mr. Singer was released on $500,000 bond. Eric S. Rosen, a federal prosecutor in the case, said it would be secured by property in California belonging to Mr. Singer’s brother. Prosecutors are seeking the forfeiture of many of Mr. Singer’s own assets and those of his businesses and the foundation under federal racketeering laws.

His admission: “Everything that Mr. Rosen stated is exactly true — all of those things, plus many more things I did,” Mr. Singer said in court on Tuesday, referring to a summary of the accusations given by Mr. Rosen.

What he was selling: He called it a “side door” into college, one that was sure to open. “If I can make the comparison, there is a front door of getting in, where a student just does it on their own,” Mr. Singer said in court. “And then there’s a back door, where people go to institutional advancement and make large donations, but they’re not guaranteed in. And then I created a side door that guaranteed families to get in. So that was what made it very attractive to so many families, is I created a guarantee.”

His career: Mr. Singer started as a teacher and athletic coach, and founded his first college counseling business, Future Stars, in Sacramento in 1992, according to a 2005 profile in The Sacramento Business Journal. He sold it a few years later and worked for a time as an executive managing call centers, then started another admissions counseling business, The CollegeSource, in Sacramento in 2004. He also helped to develop an online high school that was sold to the educational services company Kaplan. He published a book of advice about getting into college in 2014.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/12/u...s-scandal.html
Old 03-13-2019, 04:05 PM
at the jetties fishin'

Default Re: College Admissions Scandal

xtrac, you didnt show me enough ***?? sucky sucky long time at georgetown. we not good anymore?
Old 03-13-2019, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Platinum Member

Lori Loughlin looks way better than her daughters WTH
Old 03-13-2019, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wait, pay to play you say?

Old 03-13-2019, 04:50 PM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

all you need to read. Would be grand if Trump was involved

Yet federal prosecutors say that for 33 wealthy parents, these advantages were not enough. A college consultant named William Singer, of Newport Beach, Calif., pleaded guilty in federal court Tuesday to a cheating scheme that included bribing SAT test proctors and college coaches on behalf of these families.

The indictment names prominent actors and business leaders. It alleges crazy stunts — like having a stand-in take a college entrance exam, photo-doctoring to paste a student's head onto the body of an athlete, bribing college coaches, and paying up to $75,000 for falsified exam results, all in the name of getting their kids admission through what Singer called "a side door," to schools like Yale, The University of Texas and the University of Southern California.To better understand this story, here are a few things to know about the fraught history of college admissions.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:00 PM
I took way too long

It's insane to me that people would even put themselves in a position like this. To actually bribe a college to let their kid in, what for? Street cred at the next Hollywood gossip gala??
Old 03-13-2019, 05:05 PM
Cole Trickle

I mean this is the only reason the Trumps or Kushers got into decent schools.

This surprises no one
Old 03-13-2019, 05:39 PM
The Science Guy

Bet none of them are science and engineering.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:40 PM
White Trash Wish Cash

RELEASE ALL THE NAMES
Old 03-13-2019, 06:00 PM
Bart Taylor Look-alike

If your money and fame can’t get your kid into USC, they must be really dumb.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:36 PM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

Originally Posted by Rad Racing View Post
Old 03-13-2019, 06:36 PM
The Science Guy

Originally Posted by Rad Racing View Post
ROFL!
Old 03-13-2019, 06:42 PM
aka DaZman69!

From one of the sources

“”The report starts with a number: $23 billion. According to EdBuild, that's how much morefunding predominantly white school districts receive compared with districts that serve mostly students of color.

"For every student enrolled, the average nonwhite school district receives $2,226 less than a white school district," the report says.

EdBuild singles out 21 states — including California, New Jersey and New York — in which mostly white districts get more funding than districts composed primarily of students of color.””

Rofl

Camden NJ - spending per student - $29k
My school - one of the best public schools in the country, $16k

Camden’s schools are 100% paid by the state
My school was 0% paid by the state

All the ghetto schools get huge state funding

Camden schools don’t have enough books to hand out to the students, my aunt and uncle both taught there for 35 years. Why, because the ghetto ***** that run the schoool embezzel the money. I bet you those same black ***** ruining the lives of all the black youths in camden will make an arguement how the white man is bringing them down.

Literally have been thinking for years about taking 6 months off of work and going on a full on investigative journalist on them.

Old 03-13-2019, 06:47 PM
I ask Twitter, not xtrac1

Ben Shapiro had a SUPURB take on this scandal today.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by slowman View Post
It's insane to me that people would even put themselves in a position like this. To actually bribe a college to let their kid in, what for? Street cred at the next Hollywood gossip gala??
High end colleges are about the credentials and the connections you make.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:53 PM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

Old 03-13-2019, 07:14 PM

She`s loving all of those hits she`s getting on her YouTube vids.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by rico91stang View Post
Ben Shapiro had a SUPURB take on this scandal today.
I love Ben Shapiro
Old 03-13-2019, 07:53 PM
I took way too long

High end colleges are about the credentials and the connections you make.
Yeah I get that, but just don't see the point in having your parents bribe a college with $$ to get in. I get if you're high profile and/or you sponsor a park area or building or something you may gain some sort of precedence for your kids. But just having to bribe a college to get your kid in seems odd. I guess it's just a realm of society I won't understand or care to. If you're high profile enough it's probably a non issue and you don't have to bribe. Here we have two examples presented of "has beens" getting caught up in this. So I'm just questioning why it's so important for these two individuals specifically. The Full House lady and the Felicity lady.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know of 2 people who were discriminated against when it came to administration. ****** broke em.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by slowman View Post
Yeah I get that, but just don't see the point in having your parents bribe a college with $$ to get in. I get if you're high profile and/or you sponsor a park area or building or something you may gain some sort of precedence for your kids. But just having to bribe a college to get your kid in seems odd. I guess it's just a realm of society I won't understand or care to. If you're high profile enough it's probably a non issue and you don't have to bribe. Here we have two examples presented of "has beens" getting caught up in this. So I'm just questioning why it's so important for these two individuals specifically. The Full House lady and the Felicity lady.
They want their kids to have the best chance at success in life. IVY league schools give you connections and credentials that are worth far more than what they paid.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:58 PM
I took way too long

Desperation is a stinky cologne (or perfume).
Old 03-14-2019, 02:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Xentropa View Post
Bet none of them are science and engineering.
Exactly lol. You dont bribe your way into engineering school and stick around to actually pass if you cant get in based on some level of knowledge.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:54 AM
Resident Hoser #1

Its nice to see that these rich families are getting busted on this but they wont give a ****. All of their friends and families probably did the same thing.

All this proves are their kids are too dumb to get into school themselves.

What I want to see is the schools themselves go under the microscope. If they were taking bribes just to get in the school then what were they accepting to have these little turds pass exams and graduating?
Old 03-14-2019, 04:54 AM
put title here

They want their kids to have the best chance at success in life. IVY league schools give you connections and credentials that are worth far more than what they paid.
Lots of truth here. One of my buddies went to Duke, played golf on scholarship. Tried to do the PGA and would make a cut here or there but not often enough to make a living. Went back to work for his family’s corporation. I asked him why he spends all his money in his twenties to join the country club his family was part of (once you’re a certain age you gotta get your own membership) and he said “because of the business connections you make. Playing golf tomorrow with 2 CEOs of forturne 100 companies”. I’m like “makes sense”.

silver spoon ************ ��

One funny thing about this is so many movies about college always has the bad guy whose parents paid the school to help them get in. “That building is named after Fred’s grandpa cause his family donated money to the school”.
hollywood has gotten so dumb they cannot write an original script anymore and even think movies are real life.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.