Catholic priests in Pennsylvania sexually abused thousands of children for 70 years - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Community Forums > General Discussion and Debate
Reload this Page >

Catholic priests in Pennsylvania sexually abused thousands of children for 70 years

General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.

Catholic priests in Pennsylvania sexually abused thousands of children for 70 years

Old 08-14-2018, 04:35 PM
rookn00b

Default Catholic priests in Pennsylvania sexually abused thousands of children for 70 years

Pennsylvania report details decades of sexual abuse by priests

HARRISBURG, Pa. (Reuters) - Roman Catholic priests in Pennsylvania sexually abused thousands of children over a 70-year period and silenced victims through “the weaponization of faith” and a systematic cover-up campaign by their bishops, the state attorney general said on Tuesday.

An 884-page report made public by Pennsylvania Attorney General Josh Shapiro after a two-year investigation contained graphic examples of children being groomed and sexually abused by clergymen. It was largely based on documents from secret archives kept by the dioceses, including handwritten confessions by priests, he said.

“It was child sexual abuse, including rape, committed by grown men - priests - against children,” Shapiro told a press conference.

Representatives of the six Pennsylvania dioceses included in the report could not be reached for comment.

The attorney general said it was the most comprehensive report on Catholic clergy sex abuse in American history, nearly two decades after an expose of widespread abuse and cover-up in Boston that rocked the Roman Catholic church.

Several of the dioceses issued statements apologizing to victims and saying they were taking steps to ensure any criminal behavior was stopped. “The grand jury has challenged us as a Catholic diocese to put victims first and to continue to improve ways to protect children and youth,” Bishop Lawrence Persico of the Erie Diocese said in a statement.

As accusers wept behind him, Shapiro described alleged abuse by priests in six of the state’s eight dioceses, including a group of Pittsburgh clergymen accused of ordering an altar boy to strip naked and pose as Christ on the cross while they photographed him.

“The pattern was abuse, deny and cover up,” Shapiro said, adding that church officials sought to keep abuse allegations quiet long enough so they could no longer be prosecuted under Pennsylvania’s statute of limitations.

“Priests were raping little boys and girls,” Shapiro said. “They hid it all for decades.”

A few of the clergymen accused in the report succeeded in having their names redacted, and Shapiro said he would argue at a Sept. 26 court hearing for making all the names public.

He said the grand jury identified about a thousand victims, but believed there may be many more.

Shapiro said that one priest had molested five sisters in one family, he said. The diocese settled with the family after requiring a confidentiality agreement, he said.

The attorney general said that Catholic bishops covered up child sexual abuse by priests and reassigned them repeatedly to different parishes. “They allowed priests to remain active for as long as 40 years,” he said.

Describing the “weaponization of faith” to silence victims, Shapiro cited several examples including one priest who allegedly told children “how Mary had to lick Jesus clean after he was born” to groom them for oral sex.

“Children were taught that this abuse was not only normal but that it was holy,” Shapiro said.

Since the Boston abuse scandal erupted in the 1990s, accusations involving American clerics have sporadically surfaced.

Theodore McCarrick, a former archbishop of Washington, resigned as a cardinal last month after accusations resurfaced that he abused a 16-year-old boy decades ago.

In recent months, Pope Francis accepted a number of resignations from Chilean bishops in a sex abuse scandal that has rocked that country.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-p...-idUSKBN1KZ24X
Old 08-14-2018, 04:46 PM
Oracle of GDD

Default Re: Catholic priests in Pennsylvania sexually abused thousands of children for 70 yea

Ever wonder why the Pizzagate crowd seem to be so religious?

The real enemy is in your own house.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:49 PM
GDD's Dr. Phil?

Default Re: Catholic priests in Pennsylvania sexually abused thousands of children for 70 yea

So sad...
Old 08-14-2018, 05:00 PM
Prairie Dog Breeder

Stories like this **** me off because of the long term effects such actions have on kids. More to the point, it also angers me that such a large and powerful institution turned a blind eye to it for so long. While I have many thoughts and opinions on Catholics, and religion in general, I still think highly of Pope Francis.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:03 PM
GDD's Dr. Phil?

Originally Posted by 93Accord117 View Post
Stories like this **** me off because of the long term effects such actions have on kids. More to the point, it also angers me that such a large and powerful institution turned a blind eye to it for so long. While I have many thoughts and opinions on Catholics, and religion in general, I still think highly of Pope Francis.
the church, like any institution, crushes it's societal benefit under it's own weight when it gets too big and powerful.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

******* gross. Went to church once, that was enough for me.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why?
Old 08-15-2018, 03:49 AM
Tickle-shits

Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Ever wonder why the Pizzagate crowd seem to be so religious?

The real enemy is in your own house.
Didnt take you long to spout off some partisan drivel.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:04 AM
Drunk Wagon Pilot

Religion is the worst thing to happen to the human race
Old 08-15-2018, 04:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No shock here, especially in this area, just check out the Netflix show The Keepers, sure it's all the same old crew...
Old 08-15-2018, 04:45 AM
Loves Tossing Salad

FATHER JOHN HOW COULD YOU!
Old 08-15-2018, 05:55 AM
Grandpa

In 325 AD, the Council of Nicaea convened by Constantine the Great rejected a proposal by Spanish clerics that priests should be celibate.

Celibacy is inherently incorrect as a doctrine, and if you try to force people to be celibate when they cannot, you're going to end up attracting to the priesthood people who should be nowhere near the priesthood.

It wasn't until 1139 AD that the Catholic Church promoted an official policy of celibacy, which policy continued to be anathema to the rest of Christianity.

It was always wrong, and now it could very well be the end of a powerful Catholic Church.

The Pope of Rome could change the policy. If he wants to save the Catholic Church, he needs to change it.

All men cannot receive this saying, save they to whom it is given.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:19 AM
Man U FTW

Originally Posted by George Knighton View Post
It was always wrong, and now it could very well be the end of a powerful Catholic Church.
Serious question - do you think that celibacy is the main driver of this behavior in the catholic church? I tend to agree with you on that premise as I dont recall seeing many Lutheran, Evangelical, Baptist, etc priests/pastor/etc getting in trouble for touching kids.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:33 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by Schister66 View Post
Serious question - do you think that celibacy is the main driver of this behavior in the catholic church?
I do, because of the cause of it and the implementation.

The Catholic Church goes through a long period of misogyny that began early on. They just need to cut it out. Saying you can't get married or have sex is going to attract the disaffected and psychologically lame.

They will always be lame.

The only reason the Pope felt confidence in crowning Charlemagne is because a woman reigned in Constantinople at the time, which was something he could not accept. (Charlemagne and Empress Irene almost got married, by the way, which would have ruined the Catholic Church or perhaps made it normal.)

So while you were shutting up women in convents in the West, you had deaconesses in the East who were giving communion and getting educations. In the West, the "Mother of God" was silent, meek and mild. In the East, the Theotokos Promachos was on the walls defending the empire from Muslim invaders.

In the East, there is a colloquial "black" order and a "white" order, and it's up to you. You take the orders of priesthood where you marry or, if it's the path that's for you, you take the black orders in which you do not marry and adopt a more monastic life.

There's a trend in Russia right now for clerics not to marry, but it's a trend, not a policy. Even as a trend, however, it raises eyebrows in much of Orthodoxy because we sort of know what Putin's doing and we're waiting for people to wake up. LOL....

But, anyway, yes, I absolutely believe that in the thousand years since the Catholic Church adopted celibacy as an official policy, it has led to a great deal of evil. They're attracting the wrong people to the priesthood, and it has been going on for so long that everybody knows that it's the place for these psychologically lame people to go for acceptance.

I apologize for the insulting way my attempt at brevity might come across, but I think it's true.

You will find cases of abuse in the Episcopal and Greek churches, but it clearly happens in microcosm when compared to the Catholic Church.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:28 AM
I am SO fancy!

An Irish priest and a Rabbi found themselves sharing a compartment on a train.
After a while, the priest opened a conversation by saying "I know that, in your religion, you’re not supposed to eat pork... Have you actually ever tasted it?"
The Rabbi said, "I must tell the truth. Yes, I have, on the odd occasion."
Then the Rabbi had his turn of interrogation. He asked, "Your religion, too... I know you’re supposed to be celibate. But..."
The priest replied, "Yes, I know what you’re going to ask. I have succumbed once or twice." There was silence for a while.
Then the Rabbi peeped around the newspaper he was reading and said, "Better than pork, isn’t it?"
Old 08-15-2018, 07:45 AM
0x5359-0055

I'm shocked I tell you
Old 08-15-2018, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just a few bad apples, right religious people??

with the pattern that exists, I don't understand who the church isn't seen in worse light.
as I heard someone say - if this was NASCAR molesting kids as the rolled through town, people would have their pitch folks out. but for some reason, not with the church.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:51 AM
Prairie Dog Breeder

Originally Posted by LightningTeg View Post
Why?
While I despise religion and find no good in it, churches/Catholics/that institution will not go away overnight...so if it going to exist I'd rather have someone like Francis at the helm. At least he practices what he preaches and he stands for compassion, helping the poor, the environment, is against the death penalty, and general good principals. I'd rather see people look up to him over some other leaders out there.

Originally Posted by Pinja View Post
I agree with this 100%. It the cancer of this earth and has been the most divisive factor pitting people against one another.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Pinja View Post
why is it so prevalent then?

seems like it fills some needs humans have? (likely the need "to know")...
Old 08-15-2018, 08:33 AM
Drunk Wagon Pilot

Because most people are weak-minded or weak-willed and need some form of belief to try and make it through their day to day lives

If someone wants to believe in a higher being though I have no right to question their ideologies/religion. However once you start using it as a tool to deceive, fight, manipulate or scare others around you then **** you.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:44 AM
footwork mastery

We ready to write off religion yet as a bedtime story made up for the poor and slaves to keep them inline with a "goal"?
Old 08-15-2018, 08:49 AM
Prairie Dog Breeder

Originally Posted by ford9n View Post
why is it so prevalent then?

seems like it fills some needs humans have? (likely the need "to know")...
I'm going to venture to say it is so prevalent because back in the day when people saw lightning within ash clouds from volcanoes they didn't have a scientific explanation for the factors at play and the cause. It's a lot easier for me to be a bad person then ask 'god' for forgiveness instead of confronting my faults and internalizing them when I can just clean my proverbial hands of said misgivings by going to a weekly ritual of drinking fake blood. Religion falls as education increases and hopefully this trend continues.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:50 AM
footwork mastery

I'm going to venture to say it is so prevalent because back in the day when people saw lightning within ash clouds from volcanoes they didn't have a scientific explanation for the factors at play and the cause. It's a lot easier for me to be a bad person then ask 'god' for forgiveness instead of confronting my faults and internalizing them when I can just clean my proverbial hands of said misgivings by going to a weekly ritual of drinking fake blood. Religion falls as education increases and hopefully this trend continues.
I didn't mean to rape that girl I was possessed by a demon!

I'm better now tho
Old 08-15-2018, 08:55 AM
Prairie Dog Breeder

Originally Posted by .Grimace View Post
I didn't mean to rape that girl I was possessed by a demon!

I'm better now tho
"God works in mysterious ways!'

I also cannot stand the people who are like, "well if the bible didn't exist we wouldn't know how to act." Thankfully, anyone with a half-functioning frontal lobe knows they do not need a book to tell them not to steal, be nice to the neighbors, and above all else, DON'T EAT SHELLFISH! pls no water food
Old 08-15-2018, 09:01 AM
Do you even red wheels?

Originally Posted by .Grimace View Post
We ready to write off religion yet as a bedtime story made up for the poor and slaves to keep them inline with a "goal"?
If you do you will be fulfilling bible prophecy... spooky. That’s some Se7en **** right there

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.