Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can we talk wifi routers?

Old 04-19-2019, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can we talk wifi routers?

Originally Posted by shamoo View Post
Pretty much exactly what we have running at all of our sites lols. But we have multiple of each for redundancy.

I know you're joking, but without a dedicated circuit, the best equipment won't help you much if your ISP is giving you shoddy 30Mbps down and 1.5Mbps up.
Rip out your router and expensive circuit contracts and get a VeloCloud box

I have a customer running this in close to 1000 sites and it paid for itself within 6 months. They pulled out expensive MPLS and T1 links to technology challenged areas and replaced it with simple cable broadband and LTE links, it'll pair them all together, aggregate the link and optimize the traffic. It's incredible stuff. They were buying and deploying it so fast because they were losing money every day that a site was running on proprietary cisco gear that they force you to periodically replace for no reason, coupled with overpriced AT&T/Verizon/etc links.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is this some kind of SD Wan solution?
Old 04-19-2019, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes
Old 04-19-2019, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BeeResp0nsible View Post
Is this some kind of SD Wan solution?
Correct. Even my most Cisco loyal customers/holdouts are even evaluating it. Itís the best thing VMware has had in the portfolio since vSphere 12 years ago.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It looks like you can have up to 2 standby internet connections while having a main connection. Pretty damn stout.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

We've evaluated a few SD-Wan solutions but I have yet to find a way to completely displace MPLS circuits / multi GRE DMVPN. I could see it being useful to displace regular high SLA internet circuits but not sure how internal hub/spoke connectivity could work without a Cisco proprietary product like IWAN.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018 View Post
It looks like you can have up to 2 standby internet connections while having a main connection. Pretty damn stout.
I'm not a networking guy so I won't fake it, I just know it worked really well for any customer with branch locations (the more the better). One of the comments I got was that they couldn't deploy it to all their branch locations fast enough as they were able to shed away expensive and redundant links/contracts for commoditized stuff, they POC'd it, made a huge order then another huge order immediately afterwards and had nearly 1000 sites deployed in a few months. The usecase I'm sure may not be there for 1's and 2's of datacenters that have higher requirements, but that's not what they're going after.

The big usecase would be any firm with many branches that are anchored down by business as usual expensive Cisco routers and expensive WAN contracts as you can take a bunch of shitty ones and squeeze them together with a whitebox. Also, they have gateways placed all over, so if you're using cloud services (i.e. O365), you don't have to reach back to your main datacenter and come out.

All I know is that I have to sell many many difficult things that have 12-18 month sales cycles, Velocloud is 3 months to prove out at max and nobody in my territory has ever turned it down after a POC. Even if Cisco loyalists with their deep relationships with their respective sales teams cling to IWAN (and now Viptella since IWAN sucks), the CFO or procurement folks shut that **** down if they didn't smarten up on their own before that.

I have nothing to gain, but if any of you guys are in charge of your WAN connectivity, it's worth your time to give it a look. I've seen many people come out looking like heroes within their orgs.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I can def see this as a product for real estate branch offices, specifically one in mind that I used to work for. We had so many problems with landlines and 3rd parties using those lines, it was such a pain.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018 View Post
I can def see this as a product for real estate branch offices, specifically one in mind that I used to work for. We had so many problems with landlines and 3rd parties using those lines, it was such a pain.
I could easily see that as being a solid use case... My major customer win to date was a place (by nature of their business) had locations in podunk/shitty/one stop light towns all over the place. They had no choice but to employ Cisco routers subject to routine lifecycle and super expensive T1 (or better) links, after the switch they were able to throw in a whitebox (you can deploy VeloCloud on an OVA too) then pick up regular *** timewarner broadband and LTE connectivity to help not only buffer the load but actively provide link redundancy.

It's cool **** for sure.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:59 PM
Boba Connoisseur

^^ interesting

We have all that expensive Cisco ****, a T1, and my connection is hot garbage outbound. Think they have some nonsense throttling in place that prioritizes traffic even if none is needed by the primary server.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That doesn't make much sense. Is this a home or business? Why only a T1?
Old 04-20-2019, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

must be some small businesses that have branch offices they want to connect together. Old tech but cheap, Its probably owned by some major company that a 3rd party is operating on, seen this before and it didn't turn out well.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:00 PM
Boba Connoisseur

heh, major company, giant distribution center, redundant server rooms.... youtube is slow.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah if they have a T1 it's going to be slow
Old 04-21-2019, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn when were t1 lines released again?
Old 04-21-2019, 03:12 PM
HT Order of Merit

Our company is going SD-WAN now... I should probably learn more about it, lol.

Personally speaking I've used a few mesh systems in personal or business locations - Google WiFi, Linksys Velop and Netgear Orbi. Honestly they are all really great systems. People who are afraid of "Big Data" may want to stay away from Google... but its super easy to setup and use especially for a novice. Linkys Velop is the most expensive but offers great coverage in new houses (spray foam insulation) that are 3000sqft or larger. Netgear Orbi is also fantastic for slightly smaller houses, although you can also add more access points as you need them.

I have a single ASUS router for my house but its starting to **** up. Leaning towards ORBI with two nodes for the upper and lower floors.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have Asus aimesh set up, works ok. signal is def extended.
Old 04-21-2019, 04:03 PM
Will you make something up for me please?

Originally Posted by BeeResp0nsible View Post
Also, I hope you don't have a 5520 WLC at every site. Better to do Flexconnect with local switching and centralize your WLCs
No lols, FlexConnect is exactly what we run within our regions (US and Asia). We have two WLCs in US and 2 in Asia.

Originally Posted by itrSteez View Post
Rip out your router and expensive circuit contracts and get a VeloCloud box

I have a customer running this in close to 1000 sites and it paid for itself within 6 months. They pulled out expensive MPLS and T1 links to technology challenged areas and replaced it with simple cable broadband and LTE links, it'll pair them all together, aggregate the link and optimize the traffic. It's incredible stuff. They were buying and deploying it so fast because they were losing money every day that a site was running on proprietary cisco gear that they force you to periodically replace for no reason, coupled with overpriced AT&T/Verizon/etc links.
Originally Posted by itrSteez View Post
Correct. Even my most Cisco loyal customers/holdouts are even evaluating it. It’s the best thing VMware has had in the portfolio since vSphere 12 years ago.
By coincidence, one of our vendors was pushing VeloCloud to me for my org on Friday. We currently run Talari, which is another SD-WAN solution but it hasn't been working well for us (mainly because our Latin America circuit providers are terrible). I have a support renewal coming up for it later this year. I might just skip it and try something different.

Did you know that Cisco bundles their SD-WAN tech into most of their new stuff now? I heard it isn't very good. I haven't had my team implement/test it yet though.

Anyway, they still recommend having MPLS/VPLS cloud networks as one of the primary links. Internet is good, but it is still just Internet. If it is domestic, you probably won't have issues, but once you start looking at Internet outside the US, reliability is meh. We run VPLS cloud networks at all our sites abroad. We have Internet there too, but don't run any production traffic on it. Just the backoffice folks like HR, Finance, etc use it.

I guess we're in the same industry lols.
Old 04-21-2019, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know if Cisco bundles their SD-WAN solution into their latest hardware. I know you can get DNA bundled into the license but from my understanding, Cisco IWAN (Viptela) is a completely separate platform. My company has been so slow to adopt SD-WAN for a variety of reasons but I definitely think it's the way of the futute.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:36 PM
White Trash Wish Cash

I’m an idiot with this stuff. How do I plug something into/replace the generic att U-verse equipment to make it faster?

Old 04-25-2019, 12:50 PM
HT Order of Merit

The unit on the right looks like the router/WiFi. You can replace that with a better unit.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:03 PM
Will you make something up for me please?

Originally Posted by rino924 View Post
I’m an idiot with this stuff. How do I plug something into/replace the generic att U-verse equipment to make it faster?
Originally Posted by JDM_Ej View Post
The unit on the right looks like the router/WiFi. You can replace that with a better unit.
Google says the device on the left (BGW210) is an Arris gateway that AT&T usually provides (
Amazon Amazon
). It has wireless and is basically a router.

The device on the right, even though I can't see the model, must be the actual cable modem?

Can you describe the issue you're having now? You're saying it is slow, but how are you determining that?

I would recommend trying to plug your computer directly into the cable modem's network port and running speed test.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I still have the 210 but I'm about to cancel ATT in place of a usb modem w/ vzw.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:49 PM
Keyboard Humorist

Decided to do a wifi scan last night with cell phone.
Neighbors all have the same service and routers.
Apparently the AUTO channel selection on the FIOS gateway decided it best that we all have the same wifi channels. :
Manually changed my channels and now get noticeably better connection especially at the far end of the house.
(holding me over while i'm POOR for the next few months.)
Old 04-25-2019, 04:17 PM
HT Order of Merit

Originally Posted by shamoo;51917732[b
]Google says the device on the left (BGW210) is an Arris gateway that AT&T usually provides (https://www.amazon.com/BGW210-700-80.../dp/B07BZC72TB). It has wireless and is basically a router.[/b]

The device on the right, even though I can't see the model, must be the actual cable modem?

Can you describe the issue you're having now? You're saying it is slow, but how are you determining that?

I would recommend trying to plug your computer directly into the cable modem's network port and running speed test.
lol based on the size, that makes more sense actually.

I have Comcast Xfinity and bought my own Netgear modem (w/voice) and currently using an ASUS router. I'm not sure if AT&T allows you to swap out their equipment for aftermarket.... I would assume so.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.