Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Community Forums > General Discussion and Debate
Reload this Page >

Building a home theater system. I need recommendations on a speaker system.

Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building a home theater system. I need recommendations on a speaker system.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Building a home theater system. I need recommendations on a speaker system.

Alright, I have the display and receiver down so far. I need a speaker system. My budget is $3,000 (but hopefully a little under) for a speaker system.

Display : Samsung LN52A650

A/V Receiver : Yamaha RX-V663

Now the only major thing I need are the speakers and sub. Give me recommendations.

Also, size or aesthetics don't really matter to me. I'd like something that looks nice, and preferably black, but for the most part, it's quality of the sound that really matters to me.

Edit: While I'm at it, I should also note that I'm looking for a good/fast blu ray player (preferably one that's going to be 1.1 compatible). I know everyone still recommends the ps3, but I already have a 360, and if I get it, I know I'll buy a ton of extra things w/ it. I'll just spend too much money on everything (the only other reason I'll have to get it outside of the blu ray thing is for grand tourismo, and then I'll buy the expensive wheel, and the expensive racing seat, and I don't want to throw that much money away. I'm already spending enough as it is to set everything up).

Modified by skamal at 5:21 AM 6/10/2008
Old 06-10-2008, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Building a home theater system. I need recommendations on a speaker system. (skamal)

Anyone?
Old 06-10-2008, 11:00 PM
I Deliver

I have bose 321 and 50in panasonic plasma. It sounds good enough, but mostly it is really small so no big speakers to take up room. Way under your budget btw. If you built your own cabinets and bought all your drivers seperate you could save some cash and have a good syustem for the money.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EJAYATE)

AV Receiver: Denon

Speakers: Speakercraft

Thats the setup I went with, and you can't go wrong with this combo. All the high end home theater systems usually have this setup.

Edit, then again I had an in-ceiling setup. I forgot the name of the sub I bought, but I believe its german or something. Bass and speakers are phenominal though.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:40 PM
I Deliver

I forgot about ceiling systems. They hide so well you forget you even have them. I have one in my basment, It's the ****.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:50 PM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

Default Re: Building a home theater system. I need recommendations on a speaker system. (skamal)

Mackie HR824MK2's yay!
Old 06-11-2008, 12:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Building a home theater system. I need recommendations on a speaker system.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll look into them.

I've listened to the Bose, and I've always liked them from what I heard, but I've read a lot of bad reviews about them, and I'm looking to get the best value for how much I can afford.

Right now, I have my eyes set on the Klipsch Reference System 62, but with an upgrade of the 82's for the front towers, and a upgrading the center. The 62 is $2,495, but with the upgrades, I can expect to pay $3,200. But if I can also upgrade to the System 82, and that's a 7.1, but smaller center than what I'd be upgrading to and it'll cost me $3,495. If I go for system 82, I can always upgrade the center, but the next jump up is going to cost me a total of $3,900-$4,000. Not sure if I can afford that jump.

System 62

System 82

The center speaker I REALLY want to upgrade to, but it's $450 more.

(Klipsch Reference Series RC-64)

I've heard wonderful things about Klipsch. I need to find a place around here where I can go and hear them. Not sure if best buy or circuit city or someone like that carry them.

Let me know what you guys think, and keep on sending your suggestions. I would love to discover a new system that I haven't read about.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Checkout Elemental Designs. Really good stuff for the money.

http://www.edesignaudio.com
Old 06-11-2008, 05:06 AM
at the jetties fishin'

Default Re: (EJAYATE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJAYATE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I forgot about ceiling systems. They hide so well you forget you even have them. I have one in my basment, It's the ****.</TD></TR></TABLE>

but what happens if you make a second floor addition to the home??

that or if you eventually want to upgrade speakers?? I mean you'd have to do some plastering, etc. With the way systems have gone from 5.1 to 6.1 to 7.1 etc in just a few years it makes me wonder if it would be worth trying to make a ceiling or wall speaker system instead of something modular that can be more easily replaced.

that and how do you get around the directional accoustics of those type of systems??
Old 06-11-2008, 06:21 AM

Default Re: (stackz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by skamal &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll look into them.

I've listened to the Bose, and I've always liked them from what I heard, but I've read a lot of bad reviews about them, and I'm looking to get the best value for how much I can afford.

Right now, I have my eyes set on the Klipsch Reference System 62, but with an upgrade of the 82's for the front towers, and a upgrading the center. The 62 is $2,495, but with the upgrades, I can expect to pay $3,200. But if I can also upgrade to the System 82, and that's a 7.1, but smaller center than what I'd be upgrading to and it'll cost me $3,495. If I go for system 82, I can always upgrade the center, but the next jump up is going to cost me a total of $3,900-$4,000. Not sure if I can afford that jump.

System 62

System 82

The center speaker I REALLY want to upgrade to, but it's $450 more.

(Klipsch Reference Series RC-64)

I've heard wonderful things about Klipsch. I need to find a place around here where I can go and hear them. Not sure if best buy or circuit city or someone like that carry them.

Let me know what you guys think, and keep on sending your suggestions. I would love to discover a new system that I haven't read about. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Best Buy carries Klipsch reference, but only at Magnolia stores.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (prjct92eh2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prjct92eh2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Checkout Elemental Designs. Really good stuff for the money.

http://www.edesignaudio.com</TD></TR></TABLE>

Looking into it, thanks.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (skamal)

Isn't there a user with the name "hometheaterman" on here?

He certainly sounds well-equipped to answer your questions. Maybe he'll pop in.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:15 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

4 NS-555 by yamaha and a NS-C225, 325 or 525 center speaker

Old 06-11-2008, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good bang for your buck speaker brands to research. I cant say enough about either brand.

http://av123.com/ (Look into the Rocket or Reference line)
http://nhthifi.com/ (Look into the Classic line)

If you end up going with a speaker like klipsch that uses a horn tweeter, make sure you go and demo a pair before purchasing. These types of speakers tend to be very bright, and can be fatiguing if you have sensitive ears.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (crashN2u)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crashN2u &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Best Buy carries Klipsch reference, but only at Magnolia stores.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yah. and pm me for printable 10% coupon.. i bought a RC-52 from them not too long ago $299 - 10%... not bad since the new Reference series never go on sale. for now atleast..

btw. woot.com has these right now..

$429 no sub.. with a $5 shipping..
Old 06-11-2008, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

we use this in our home
http://www.definitivetech.com/

uncle works for ceo of magnolia hi-fi/best buys so he got my dad a pretty good deal on everything

when the woofers are on and surround sound is on, the room shakes!
Old 06-13-2008, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the same receiver and use Definitive Technologies speakers. Absolutely love them.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:19 AM
crazy mad murdock

Default FV-QR

If you want to do it clean
get a box of stereo wire
grab 6 Jamo in ceiling speakers :

Not to hard to install, I did mine with a butter knife and a rod to feed the wires from the wall up and over. My walls are white so it was just a little patch work and i had a bad *** system

and any kind of sub....

Also grab one of these, it will be your best friend ever
Harmony Remote 880

Makes it so easy to watch TV, I use it to swtich back and forth for my HD channels since its annoying changing it every time. Really easy to program as well.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Imo I like Klipsch stuff a lot. Another brand to check out is Energy loud speakers. They have really impressed me. For a sub SVS seems to be good. Sorry it took me soo long to respond.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.