Being head hunted. Career question for GDD. - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.

Being head hunted. Career question for GDD.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:57 PM   #1
Paragraph Alert

Default Being head hunted. Career question for GDD.

This is going to come off like a humble brag a**hole thread but keep in mind none of this is guaranteed.

Anyways, I'm currently being head hunted for a couple of potential positions at a handful of different companies. The job at each company would be the same and I would basically become a land based consultant for what I currently do offshore.

The current situation: My former boss and the guy who trained me up who was one of our most senior guys in the field (and likely the highest paid) recently quit my current company and now works as one of these consultants. He has a lot of clout with this company as he worked along with them in the field for 20 years and he's pushing hard for me to get on with them. I'm a little on the low end in terms of calendar years experience but in terms of drilling experience I'm tough to beat as I've done nothing but deep water exploratory drilling my entire career which is sort of the gold standard. In short I might not get the first position that comes up but there is a good chance I would eventually get a slot. However, at the same time there are several other consulting positions for a different company that are likely to be coming in which I will also have a good shot as they are generally more forgiving on calendar year experience.

The catch? The second company is typically known to pay substantially less and I would likely be locked into some sort of non-compete contract for 18 months. However, both positions would be a massive pay increase from my current job.

So the question is if I get a call tomorrow from the second company offering me a job do I take it knowing that it will eliminate me from taking a significantly higher paying job from the first company? Basically the "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" question.
ActiveAero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:05 PM   #2
Will you make something up for me please?

Default Re: Being head hunted. Career question for GDD.

I don't know too much about your specific field but I saw the word "consultant" mentioned a lot. Do you currently work as a contracted consultant? Or have a "normal salary"?

Doing contracted consultant work is going to be pretty different than a "normal job" since you have to really push for work if you don't have a lot of known experience in the field. You'll need to build your clientele and network. For me, I really need that security and could never do consultant or contract work. A 3 or 6 month contract goes by VERY fast and then what? You might get another, or you might not for a while.

If you're okay with that, then being in a contracted position can be very lucrative. But you also have to work harder (usually).
shamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:23 PM   #3
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveAero View Post
So the question is if I get a call tomorrow from the second company offering me a job do I take it knowing that it will eliminate me from taking a significantly higher paying job from the first company? Basically the "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" question.
personally, unless you are unhappy at your current spot, i wouldnt be looking to jump ship. i would hold out until the consulting firm that you want to work for.

edited to ask: why do you want to go from your current job to the new one?
ford9n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:35 PM   #4
Paragraph Alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamoo View Post
I don't know too much about your specific field but I saw the word "consultant" mentioned a lot. Do you currently work as a contracted consultant? Or have a "normal salary"?

Doing contracted consultant work is going to be pretty different than a "normal job" since you have to really push for work if you don't have a lot of known experience in the field. You'll need to build your clientele and network. For me, I really need that security and could never do consultant or contract work. A 3 or 6 month contract goes by VERY fast and then what? You might get another, or you might not for a while.

If you're okay with that, then being in a contracted position can be very lucrative. But you also have to work harder (usually).
I have a "normal" salaried job.

That said this consultant work probably isn't what you're thinking of. There is no real building of clientele. It is a very specific type of job (real time well monitoring) that really only exists for the major oil companies. In super simple terms the job is basically monitoring the satellite data feeds from "extreme" wells (ultra deep water, deep land wells or ones being drilled in extreme conditions, etc) to try to make sure they aren't going to blow up. Most of the guys who have been doing it have had steady contracts for 6-7 years but yes in the event of a major decrease in rig count (like what happened a few years ago) the contract allows people to be let go. However, new 2018 safety regulations are requiring the companies to staff more of these positions.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:37 PM   #5
Paragraph Alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford9n View Post
personally, unless you are unhappy at your current spot, i wouldnt be looking to jump ship. i would hold out until the consulting firm that you want to work for.
I'd be with the same consulting firm, just under contract to a different oil company. Depending on the oil company the pay can be substantially different.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:38 PM   #6
Reborn_

You're young(ish) with no ties holding you back. Go for it (in terms of consulting vs. salary).

I would negotiate the salary of second company up to comparable, or try to get on without signing non-compete. I probably wouldn't wait it out for the first company, unless you have concrete information about timing.
Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:45 PM   #7
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
I'd be with the same consulting firm, just under contract to a different oil company. Depending on the oil company the pay can be substantially different.
sorry, i guess i misunderstood your OP.
if money is the main reason for leaving, i would interview and negotiate with the other company. I am not sure if a non-compete clause is standard in your line of work, but i wouldnt take a job where that is a condition.
i would say take any new job that substantially increases your pay - as long as you dont have a no-compete clause. if everyone in your industry has a no-compete clause, i would stay put until the job you want becomes available.

if there was no clause, i would job ship. work there for 18-24 months then be looking to get back to your current company in the job you want (now with more years of experience.)
ford9n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:54 PM   #8
Fat Joe

The non-compete is post contract I assume?

If so, consider the wages being effectively dispersed over that extended period of time. They better be well into the 6 figures for that sort of arrangement, as 18 months is a long time to go without income. Not sure how employers in that industry view periods of no work. That would put that company off the list for me.

Are you going through offers with a lawyer? Obviously get one to go over the contracts before signing.
JoeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:27 PM   #9
George Michael Fanboy

Quote:
Same location for each?

Would currency value fluctuations affect future pay of/from said companies?
signalpuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:37 PM   #10
Paragraph Alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBlue View Post
The non-compete is post contract I assume?
From start of the contract, basically to keep you from just breaking your contract and jumping ship for a better offer. I've heard there are still ways to do it but honestly I don't know the details. If they did non-compete post contract there wouldn't be anyone to fill these jobs as the pool of qualified candidates is very small.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:38 PM   #11
Paragraph Alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by signalpuke View Post
Same location for each?
Yes.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:40 PM   #12
George Michael Fanboy

Quote:
Yes.
Take either one. 18 months is nothing. Better to get in the door and meet more people than lose an opportunity.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:51 PM   #13
I root for shitty sports teams

Generally, non-competes are deal breakers for me. You never know what will happen with that job or your life where you will have to/be made to leave. I would see the exact details of that before I took the job.
The GreenD16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:52 PM   #14
Fat Joe

Quote:
From start of the contract, basically to keep you from just breaking your contract and jumping ship for a better offer. I've heard there are still ways to do it but honestly I don't know the details. If they did non-compete post contract there wouldn't be anyone to fill these jobs as the pool of qualified candidates is very small.
Well that is far more acceptable. I know nothing about the oil industry. My research came to the conclusion that if you're not degree'd or well seasoned in the field you're working long hard hours for relatively average pay. That is all I know.

I agree with Signal. I would still have a lawyer present or at least reading it before you sign it. If it means anything, it seems like a better job than offshore. I've been on one offshore rig in my life, and the conditions were better sleeping in the back of a Bradley.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:57 PM   #15
Leasing Enthusiast

I say you move back to Japan.! Japanese woman are sexually starved. Their men aren't satisfying their urges and needs. You would be getting laid in those tiny apartments 24/7. I know it's expensive there though.
R.a.w. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:59 PM   #16
Honda-Tech Member

In CA, non-competes are unenforceable. Maybe dial up a labor attorney in Houston and pay $100 to learn a little more.
grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:20 PM   #17
Paragraph Alert

Quote:
I've been on one offshore rig in my life, and the conditions were better sleeping in the back of a Bradley.
Modern ultra deep water drill ships are a different ball game and honestly aren't that bad. In fact the food can be freaking fantastic. Yeah it blows being away from home but it could definitely be worse. My main drill ship for the past year was a two man bunk (shared with my 12hr relief so you always had the room to yourself) with a private bath.

The galley and my bunk.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:32 PM   #18
Paragraph Alert

Quote:
My research came to the conclusion that if you're not degree'd or well seasoned in the field you're working long hard hours for relatively average pay. That is all I know.
The current down turn screwed numbers up a bit but if anything it is probably one of the highest paying career fields possible for someone with no degree. A day one roustabout with no degree and no experience typically starts at 65-75k a year. Once you move up to a rough neck in a year or two you're making 85-100k working two weeks on, two weeks off. If you have any sort of basic math and reasoning ability they can move up to there to numerous other positions and see themselves making 120-250k a year within 7-8 years depending on how far they want to climb towards being a driller. Not the worst career path in the world for not having a degree. One of the guys I work with dropped out of school in 10th grade and made 220k the year before the downturn. Ignoring the potential for consulting going the grunt path would have actually paid off much more than my current technical one, at least at the moment, which is why so many people are leaving it lol. That said I did get to keep my job while lots more of those guys were laid off so I guess that accounts for something.

But yeah you're going to bust your *** and sacrifice plenty.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:38 PM   #19
Parties with 2LEM1

Op claims to be smart. Asks morons for career advice.

Cant explain that.
Brice.Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:40 PM   #20
Paragraph Alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brice.Hayden View Post

Cant explain that.
You do have a point.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:42 PM   #21
George Michael Fanboy

Quote:

Cant explain that.

Quote:
You do have a point.
Are you in 'international waters' ?
Old 08-01-2017, 05:48 PM   #22
Paragraph Alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by signalpuke View Post

Are you in 'international waters' ?
Usually around 150'ish miles from nearest point of land. If we're connected to the sea floor by the riser then we're good, but if we are free floating then it becomes a customs flight.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:50 PM   #23
George Michael Fanboy

Quote:
Usually around 150'ish miles from nearest point of land. If we're connected to the sea floor by the riser then we're good, but if we are free floating then it becomes a customs flight.
Tax free...
Old 08-01-2017, 06:08 PM   #24
Fat Joe

Quote:

Cant explain that.
No one can...

Last edited by JoeBlue; 08-01-2017 at 06:09 PM. Reason: I just wanted to know what he was doing...
Old 08-01-2017, 06:10 PM   #25
George Michael Fanboy

Quote:
No one can...
ActiveAero
Paragraph Alert